Become a Patron!

Vapor/drip tip too hot

Frat warning
I'm really new to vaping. Been using eleaf istick 50w with an aspire nautilus mini for a couple months and really like it. I use nuport e juice (50/50 pg/vg) and mix the menthol and pimp juice liquids. 11w with 1.8 ohms works great. Got a Christmas gift of the baby beast with alien 220v mod. Tried multiple settings but vapor/drip tip is too hot. Using the Q2 0.4ohm coil with air flow open max. Recommended for the coil is 40w-80w with 55w-65w listed as best. I know sticking with nautilus eleaf is the simple answer but would be nice to b able to enjoy the new set up. Suggestions?

Edit
I'd like to avoid going the rba route for now if possible

Last edited:

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Start voltage/wattage as low as possible..
DNA devices start at 1w (other devices start at 7w), slowly work up, 5/10 watt increments until you find what suites your tastes. Your Nautilus mini requires lower wattages to power for good performance (ie. vapor production/flavor) while your baby beast w/ alien coils will require much much higher wattages for it's perfect vapor production. That's an open lung atty compared to your more MTL Nautilus mini atty. Those are 2 types of vaping, open lung (lung hit, like hitting a bong) and MTL (mouth to lung, like a drag off a cigarette, pulling smoke in then inhaling the vapor). In your situation, I'd start at the baby beast at 40w and go up in 10w increments and stop once you found your sweet spot.

Start voltage/wattage as low as possible..
DNA devices start at 1w (other devices start at 7w), slowly work up, 5/10 watt increments until you find what suites your tastes. Your Nautilus mini requires lower wattages to power for good performance (ie. vapor production/flavor) while your baby beast w/ alien coils will require much much higher wattages for it's perfect vapor production. That's an open lung atty compared to your more MTL Nautilus mini atty. Those are 2 types of vaping, open lung (lung hit, like hitting a bong) and MTL (mouth to lung, like a drag off a cigarette, pulling smoke in then inhaling the vapor). In your situation, I'd start at the baby beast at 40w and go up in 10w increments and stop once you found your sweet spot.
Thanks, the mtl vs open lung makes a lot of sense. Will I get used to the difference? Like I said, I really like the nautilus mini. The 40w is definitely the most tolerable but can only hit it for 1 second, mostly cause the hit is strong, but also temp is still gets uncomfortably hot. Thanks again

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well if you're just starting out, I'd keep using the Nautilus mini because many of us vapers that's been vaping for years all started at MTL vaping. From reading what you said, it seems to be working just fine for you. Believe it or not, some people just can't seem to like the open lung atomizers and higher wattage devices. You may be the case. You may move into the open lung later. Just don't jump ahead of yourself. The Nautilus is a very nice system, cheaper than most. Very good flavor. Then, when you want to F- around, experiment with your higher wattage device that has your baby beast, see how others are using there's. This is a great forum with many threads on the baby beast. I would suggest to experiment, get some experience with your stuff first, do what I said by first finding your own sweet spot and learn how others here in :vu: are using their similar gear. You'll learn stuff, you'll blow off stuff.. but you'll find def find answers in the end.

Last edited:
Well if you're just starting out, I'd keep using the Nautilus mini because many of us vapers that's been vaping for years all started at MTL vaping. From reading what you said, it seems to be working just fine for you. Believe it or not, some people just can't seem to like the open lung atomizers and higher wattage devices. You may be the case. Your may move into the open lung later. Just don't jump ahead of yourself. The Nautilus is a very nice system, cheaper than most. Very good flavor. Then, when you want to F- around, experiment with your higher wattage device that has your baby beast, see how others are using there's. This is a great forum with many threads on the baby beast. I would suggest to experiment, get some experience with your stuff first, do what I said by first finding your own sweet spot and learn how others here in :vu: are using their similar gear. You'll learn stuff, you'll blow off stuff.. but you'll find def find answers in the end.
Thanks again

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks, the mtl vs open lung makes a lot of sense. Will I get used to the difference? Like I said, I really like the nautilus mini. The 40w is definitely the most tolerable but can only hit it for 1 second, mostly cause the hit is strong, but also temp is still gets uncomfortably hot. Thanks again

1.) You'll get used to the difference for sure. You might not even like open lung sub ohm tanks, which the baby beast is. The Nautilus isn't a sub ohm tank, rather MTL as I stated which works the best at lower wattages, too high and it won't perform well.

2.) The Hit may be "harsh" for several reasons; most people vaping the MTL systems use 9mg-24mg nic as this immitates the cigarette like throat thump. Now your baby beast is a sub ohm tank, I would NOT go higher than 6mg nic because it produces so much more vapor. This might be the reason why it's too harsh to you.

Hope this helped a little. I work at a shop and answer these types of questions on a daily basis. If you need more help, I don't mind helping out. :)
No question is a dumb one. We all started there.

I actually have 0 nicotine. I started smoking 3 to 4 cigarettes a day about 6 months ago and didn't want toget up to a pack a day like 10 years ago, so I got an e cigg and dropped nicotine to 0. More of a comfort habit that I do in my car. You've been really helpful.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I actually have 0 nicotine. I started smoking 3 to 4 cigarettes a day about 6 months ago and didn't want toget up to a pack a day like 10 years ago, so I got an e cigg and dropped nicotine to 0. More of a comfort habit that I do in my car. You've been really helpful.

I know that feeling. My fav time to choke was after meals, in the car, after s_x, and stressful situations..

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yeah, you'll get used to it. Then start using drip atomizers, which give the BEST cloud and flavor. (according to the coils you use)

Try opening your airflow more.
If you can post pictures of your coil set up, it might help too. But it kind of sounds like an air flow issue. Not enough air crossing the coils to cool them while you vape.

VU Sponsors