Become a Patron!

VC X1 RDA or...

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hola VU.

I recently acquired a VC X1 mech mod and I'm diggin' it thus far, but damnit none of my RDAs look right on it. I like my shit to be all matchy matchy.

The obvious answer is to pick up an X1 RDA, which I almost did tonight, but I decided to ask for some insight on it first. Has anyone used one of these? If so, what's your opinion of them? In your opinion, is there a better option out there?

All replies are welcome. My only stipulations are that it matches the mod, has a nice build deck and good airflow. I don't mind throwing down the cash for a good RDA but let's set a soft range of +/- $60. Less is always nice but if I've gotta thrown down some more cash to get a better atty then so be it. I'd rather buy once, cry once.

Thanks in advance.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yep, currently have an X1 on my tempest 200w mod. Flavor is great and so is the vapor production.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The X1 is one of my favorite RDA'S, I've got two 24mm and two 30mm Authentics. I also have two 30mm and five 24mm Clones. The 30mm Clones are just OK, not nearly as good as the Authentic but the 24mm Clones are damn close.

The X1 is an awesome rda and I highly recommend it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Done deal. X1 it is. Thanks guys.
I think you're going to be pleased with it. I also recommend using the Copper positive post they include, makes a difference.

The X1 is one that is always in use.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went ahead and ordered two, a copper 24 and a black 30. And just for shits 'n' giggles one of those Broadside copper mechs. I mean, delrin insulated tube? How could I say no?

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
X1 RDAs came in. The 30mm is massive.

I'm having a serious problem though, one that's frustrated me enough that I might return both.

I noticed on my first build that the screws came loose quite easily. If I repositioned the coil or barely tapped them trying to get the RDA out of my ohm reader I could actually see the screws pop loose. And not just a little loose. If I hadn't bent my clipped leads upward I could've pulled the coils right out.

After a couple hours of tinkering I thought I got them to stay, but as soon as I took a couple hits I noticed a dramatic decrease in performance all of a sudden and, sure enough, all it took was a few hits worth of heat and the screws were flopping around like mad. I could even hand tighten them at this point. This has happened repeatedly over the past couple days, and I'm about ready to give up on the damn thing.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe a good solution? I love the way this 24 hits but if I've gotta tighten down screws every 2-3 hits or every time a slight breeze comes in contact with it I'm not going to bother with it any further.

Really frustrated at the moment...

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ha. Figured it out. Sorry for the rant, I was pissed. Turns out that little blue piece of shit screwdriver is a piece of shit.

Hits like a champ now. Extremely impressed with this RDA.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ha. Figured it out. Sorry for the rant, I was pissed. Turns out that little blue piece of shit screwdriver is a piece of shit.

Hits like a champ now. Extremely impressed with this RDA.
I was reading the first post and thinking like how the F.... i love that thing :').
Glad u found it out, enjoy it man!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never use the tools included, they're all shit and do nothing but fuck shit up. Well that is other than the one included with the United Chaos RDA, that is the best I've ever seen.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never use the tools included, they're all shit and do nothing but fuck shit up. Well that is other than the one included with the United Chaos RDA, that is the best I've ever seen.

Love that hex screw driver from Twistedmesses too :)
but indeed +1, most tools included on rda's suck

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also recommend swapping out the SS positive post for the copper one. It makes a difference, just insure that you you don't over tighten the screws, copper is soft.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dudes, on the real, upon closer examination of the the blue pile of shit screw...whatever...they sent me, turns out it came pre-stripped for my own building convenience. Oh happy day! It's like a worn, burr ridden piñata just waiting for me to bust open and bitch about.

I've been vaping the X1 mech/RDA hybrid all night and...goddamn...

The FDA must be focusing on dumbshits, which sounds about right. You can make a quick mil by being "offended" nowadays. Boy we've become a bunch of stark pussies, eh?

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also recommend swapping out the SS positive post for the copper one. It makes a difference, just insure that you you don't over tighten the screws, copper is soft.

Shit, that was the first thing I did upon arrival. Tried the other with two different builds and it was good, but kinda run of the mill. That fancy post is the bees knees. Takes her to a whole different level. Still though, so smooth, I'm talking velvet meets baby's ass. Mechs are where it's at, so long as you know the beaten path.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shit, that was the first thing I did upon arrival. Tried the other with two different builds and it was good, but kinda run of the mill. That fancy post is the bees knees. Takes her to a whole different level. Still though, so smooth, I'm talking velvet meets baby's ass. Mechs are where it's at, so long as you know the beaten path.
Yep, I look for addy's that have positive copper post's. The Lycan is one, love that Addy. My other ones are the Prophet 24mm and the Glacier V2. Sadly the Prophet 30mm didn't come with one, I was very disappointed.

Copper is higher maintenance but so worth it, but a good Ultrasonic sure makes it much easier.

Dutch0hms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep, I look for addy's that have positive copper post's. The Lycan is one, love that Addy. My other ones are the Prophet 24mm and the Glacier V2. Sadly the Prophet 30mm didn't come with one, I was very disappointed.

Copper is higher maintenance but so worth it, but a good Ultrasonic sure makes it much easier.

That Glacier v2 is beast too :devil:

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@r055co, we must appreciate a similar vape. Your recs have been spot on. You ever need a recipe/ high performance knife rec, you hit me up, k?

Christ Almighty, my paycheck is hurtin' nowadays...

I gotta get down with this vape support shit. Where do I sign up? Real talk here.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@r055co, we must appreciate a similar vape. Your recs have been spot on. You ever need a recipe/ high performance knife rec, you hit me up, k?

Christ Almighty, my paycheck is hurtin' nowadays...

I gotta get down with this vape support shit. Where do I sign up? Real talk here.
Ha!

Cool Beans, send me a PM and I'll send you some of my practice coils.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
X1 RDAs came in. The 30mm is massive.

I'm having a serious problem though, one that's frustrated me enough that I might return both.

I noticed on my first build that the screws came loose quite easily. If I repositioned the coil or barely tapped them trying to get the RDA out of my ohm reader I could actually see the screws pop loose. And not just a little loose. If I hadn't bent my clipped leads upward I could've pulled the coils right out.

After a couple hours of tinkering I thought I got them to stay, but as soon as I took a couple hits I noticed a dramatic decrease in performance all of a sudden and, sure enough, all it took was a few hits worth of heat and the screws were flopping around like mad. I could even hand tighten them at this point. This has happened repeatedly over the past couple days, and I'm about ready to give up on the damn thing.

Anyone else have this problem? Maybe a good solution? I love the way this 24 hits but if I've gotta tighten down screws every 2-3 hits or every time a slight breeze comes in contact with it I'm not going to bother with it any further.

Really frustrated at the moment...

That's great it worked out for you, man!

I never use the included screwdrivers. The fuckers are so small they're too hard to work with. My screwdriver that came with my coil master kit is the way to go. It works great and has never given me problems. Although I did need to tighten the screws every time I positioned my coils to the center. Other than that I love the RDA! Glad you're enjoying it as much as I do. Although I did find if I don't drip every 3-4 hits I risk getting a dry hit.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3-4 hits? What kind of build do you have in yours?

I've got a very basic build in mine and I can get about 15-20 before I'm dry.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
3-4 hits? What kind of build do you have in yours?

I've got a very basic build in mine and I can get about 15-20 before I'm dry.

I've got 23g single wrap kanthal dual coils. I'm new to the RDA world so I'm guessing my problem is the wicking. I think I might be stuffing too much wick into the juice wells and it's stopping the juice from wicking up properly. I'm using precut fiber freaks cellulose wicks. Here's a picture of my current build. Too much wick? What do you think?

14789141460441918086259.jpg

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, in all honesty I'm relatively noobish myself. I've only been building for a couple months.

Wicking was the hardest part for me to get down though. I notoriously overwicked my coils and got plenty of dry hits, even though they still appeared saturated.

What does the trick for me is gently rolling my cotton in one direction until it gets pretty tight and small enough to fit through the coil. I'll twist my cotton in the same direction it was rolled while pulling it through, then once it's in I'll unwind it a bit so it fluffs up inside the coil and out. Also, cutting my tails at a slight angle seems to help as well.

Again though, I'm no expert...yet...heh. hopefully one of the more seasoned forumites can diagnose your problem.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well, in all honesty I'm relatively noobish myself. I've only been building for a couple months.

Wicking was the hardest part for me to get down though. I notoriously overwicked my coils and got plenty of dry hits, even though they still appeared saturated.

What does the trick for me is gently rolling my cotton in one direction until it gets pretty tight and small enough to fit through the coil. I'll twist my cotton in the same direction it was rolled while pulling it through, then once it's in I'll unwind it a bit so it fluffs up inside the coil and out. Also, cutting my tails at a slight angle seems to help as well.

Again though, I'm no expert...yet...heh. hopefully one of the more seasoned forumites can diagnose your problem.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting that the wick looks saturated on the bottoms but the cellulose going through and close to the coils is getting dry really fast. If I don't drip every 3-4 hits I start to get dry hits. I'm going to rewick it now and trim the wicks a bit so they aren't being stuffing down deep into the juice well so I'll see how that goes. :)

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Reduced the amount of wick and it seems to be absorbing a lot better. I'm getting around 8-10 hits before I have to drip again. Definitely an improvement!

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome. Glad I could help.

A lot of people rave about the Scottish roll. Personally I find it a bit hokey, but for all I know my execution of might be lacking. Either way, it's worth looking into if you're looking to upgrade your wicking.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome. Glad I could help.

A lot of people rave about the Scottish roll. Personally I find it a bit hokey, but for all I know my execution of might be lacking. Either way, it's worth looking into if you're looking to upgrade your wicking.
Scottish Roll made a huge difference, more than doubled my hits.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Scottish Roll made a huge difference, more than doubled my hits.

I just tried the scottish roll with some cotton I got with my coil master kit and I'm getting around 13 hits before I need to drip again. I don't think I'll be using fiber freaks anymore.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just tried the scottish roll with some cotton I got with my coil master kit and I'm getting around 13 hits before I need to drip again. I don't think I'll be using fiber freaks anymore.
My go to is Koh gen Do, $11 for 80 large pads on Amazon. I've tried everything from Cotton Bacon, Rayon to Hemp fiber and Koh gen Do just works the best for me.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My go to is Koh gen Do, $11 for 80 large pads on Amazon. I've tried everything from Cotton Bacon, Rayon to Hemp fiber and Koh gen Do just works the best for me.

Will definitely check them out. It's strange, the fiber freaks works great in my flawless we out her doe RDA. Wicks quite good and I can get a good number of hits before I need to drip. With my X1 it just doesn't seem to be absorbing the liquid properly... I'm not sure if I'm just not wicking it correctly.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Would you be able to post a picture of the wicking in your X1 so I could have a look?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Would you be able to post a picture of the wicking in your X1 so I could have a look?
Not vaping on it now, but when I do I'll post it. Pretty basic but like all my wicking I fluff out my leads and just have them touch the deck. I also stuff my cotton before I juice it. I know that the popular/common wick procedure is to juice it a little before stuffing it down, but I don't. I don't like that method for it packs the cotton too much. I like to have all of the cotton in place before I juice it.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Not vaping on it now, but when I do I'll post it. Pretty basic but like all my wicking I fluff out my leads and just have them touch the deck. I also stuff my cotton before I juice it. I know that the popular/common wick procedure is to juice it a little before stuffing it down, but I don't. I don't like that method for it packs the cotton too much. I like to have all of the cotton in place before I juice it.

Thanks. When you stuff down the cotton do you leave a bit of space so you can still see the juice well?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks. When you stuff down the cotton do you leave a bit of space so you can still see the juice well?
I keep the cotton to the sides, the space between the air and positive post is clear

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also make sure your top lead goes into the negative and bottom lead into the positive. I saw that on someone with the X1 yesterday who had the bottom lead in the negative which interferes with the cotton tails.

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I take back my statement previous. Sat down tonight and Scottish rolled until I got proper wicks. I got 23 hits before I felt like dripping again, and even then I could've gotten a few more out of her. Good stuff man. Tricky, but worth it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I take back my statement previous. Sat down tonight and Scottish rolled until I got proper wicks. I got 23 hits before I felt like dripping again, and even then I could've gotten a few more out of her. Good stuff man. Tricky, but worth it.
You get quicker and better at it the more you do it

Jsgillis86

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ended up using a method I used to use back in my party days. Never figured that skill would come in handy again.

Good stuff though man. Although, I do keep pulling the cap off expecting to need to drip again. With what I'm used to 20+ consecutive hits without a dry one will fool a man. (And no, not twenty plus hits back to back to back. I usually take about four or five hits and go inside for another half hour or so.)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ended up using a method I used to use back in my party days. Never figured that skill would come in handy again.

Good stuff though man. Although, I do keep pulling the cap off expecting to need to drip again. With what I'm used to 20+ consecutive hits without a dry one will fool a man. (And no, not twenty plus hits back to back to back. I usually take about four or five hits and go inside for another half hour or so.)
Yep, fluff it out and roll it just like a fatty! Damn, brings back memories ya know, for the record I gave that shit up decades ago and I never thought I'd use those skills again...

That and funny thing is when I was in my teens I was a Jewelers Apprentice and those skills really come back and the enjoyment also.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK haven't wicked my 24mm yet but wicked my 30mm. It's larger but same wicking principles.

Clipped my tails to where they will just touch the bottom of the deck.

18094082177cf4634d4a9604dc7148ed.jpg

Fluffed out, combed out and trimmed the excess.

bcea64b1ed66a53d3b493d9fcb85a70f.jpg

Now I always place my cotton dry. This way it still stays fluffy.

d86fcdb78dbcef6aa6b7a698bc0e9c0c.jpg
222e034c22fd18012bbb168fd5687d9f.jpg
48537dc6e62e282a3b1f6b1035c7bf43.jpg

Now I juice her up

33ff91dcfa26858c5aa23385dab4d5d8.jpg

After a couple of fires she's ready to vape.

5de9662b6c7f7453182725a0a01fcf1f.jpg

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks for that mate. What cotton are you using by the way? I'd like to pick some up to give it a try over the fiber freaks cellulose wicks. And do you drip directly onto the cotton?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for that mate. What cotton are you using by the way? I'd like to pick some up to give it a try over the fiber freaks cellulose wicks. And do you drip directly onto the cotton?
My go to Cotton is Koh gen Do. I've messed with everything from Cotton Bacon, Hemp fiber to Rayon. I always come back to Koh gen Do, $11 for 80 large pads on Amazon, great performance, easy to work with and you can't beat the price. I know there is a Rayon following but I don't like the taste and the way it wicks. For premium Vape branded Cotton I like Native Wicks platinum blend. But I honestly prefer Koh gen Do overall.

Dripping I paint once across the coils, then paint over the center post. Most of the juice I drip between the gap between the positive and negative posts.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My go to Cotton is Koh gen Do. I've messed with everything from Cotton Bacon, Hemp fiber to Rayon. I always come back to Koh gen Do, $11 for 80 large pads on Amazon, great performance, easy to work with and you can't beat the price. I know there is a Rayon following but I don't like the taste and the way it wicks. For premium Vape branded Cotton I like Native Wicks platinum blend. But I honestly prefer Koh gen Do overall.

Dripping I paint once across the coils, then paint over the center post. Most of the juice I drip between the gap between the positive and negative posts.

Great, thanks for that. Another question if you don't mind. I'm just about to buy some Koh gen Do pads and I was wondering how much do you cut off the pad for each wick? And do you put the cotton down into the juice wells or so it just touches the deck?

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great, thanks for that. Another question if you don't mind. I'm just about to buy some Koh gen Do pads and I was wondering how much do you cut off the pad for each wick? And do you put the cotton down into the juice wells or so it just touches the deck?
All depends on the inner diameter. Rough estimate is 1/4 for 2.5, 1/2 for 3.5. Play with it a bit. Also remember to peel off the outer skin to expose the fluffy inner cotton. It's a thin layer.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh and the tails down to hit the deck, don't have them go under the coils. Just have them in the corners and keep under the coils clear

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Oh and the tails down to hit the deck, don't have them go under the coils. Just have them in the corners and keep under the coils clear

Thanks mate. I've got some of the cotton you recommended on the way so I'm excited to give it a try.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Oh, by the way. Do I peel off both the harder skins on either side to expose the softer cotton?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh, by the way. Do I peel off both the harder skins on either side to expose the softer cotton?
Yup, peel off both sides. Look up Scottish Roll on youtube. You use more cotton, but it really wicks the juice.

VU Sponsors