Become a Patron!

VG Intolerance Question

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all,

I'm a new vaper and have been using the standard 50/50 PG/VG blend. I really like it, but sometimes I wheeze and my chest feels tight, especially when I'm chain vaping at night. No issues with hives or sore throat, and I used to have childhood asthma, so I figure it's the VG. I want to order a different blend.

So my question is-- those of you that have VG intolerance-- what percentage of PG do you use? 70, 80, 100? Or something different?

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long have you vaped for? How much nicotine is in your juice? To be honest everybody I've known that started vaping felt some form of this depending on how heavy they hit vaping.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi all,

I'm a new vaper and have been using the standard 50/50 PG/VG blend. I really like it, but sometimes I wheeze and my chest feels tight, especially when I'm chain vaping at night. No issues with hives or sore throat, and I used to have childhood asthma, so I figure it's the VG. I want to order a different blend.

So my question is-- those of you that have VG intolerance-- what percentage of PG do you use? 70, 80, 100? Or something different?
I did also, never hadvhives but If I mix above 70vg, I get a really tight chest and weez. I also had childhood asthma.. not sure of that correlation but it is interesting.
I normally stick to either 50/50 or 60pg/40vg

Last edited:

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How long have you vaped for? How much nicotine is in your juice? To be honest everybody I've known that started vaping felt some form of this depending on how heavy they hit vaping.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have been vaping for 3 months, but smoked cigarettes for 11 years. The past several years I smoked a pack per day of those heavy-duty American Spirits. I started with Markten (yeah, I know lol) so I started with 3.5% nicotine. I'm at 1.8% now. I've been refilling cartridges, but will upgrade soon. I usually go through 2 cartridges per day, which doesn't seem like much.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have asthma *now*, adult-onset since I was 24 (32 yrs ago!) -- I can't use more than about 15% Vg or I simply can't breathe AT ALL -- it feels like a hairball in my chest that I can't get rid of no matter how I try, and it once woke me from a sound sleep with a major asthma attack, when I was trying out 67PG/33VG.

Currently I'm using 86PG/14VG, and that works pretty well -- and yeah, it's fortunate that TH is one of the things I MOST require from vaping. :D

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
To be honest everybody I've known that started vaping felt some form of this depending on how heavy they hit vaping.

On this note, you might experience what is called "vaping flu". You might feel like you get the flu but it isn't the regular flu. It is your body expelling the toxins of cigarettes/tobacco since you're putting vape into it. This will indeed pass. I suffered it about three days. Not all that pleasant but once you get by it vaping is much better. Also not everyone gets it, all based upon many various subjective vectors.

I started with Markten (yeah, I know lol) so I started with 3.5% nicotine. I'm at 1.8% now. I've been refilling cartridges, but will upgrade soon. I usually go through 2 cartridges per day, which doesn't seem like much.

Those cartridges hold about 1.5ml of juice at the most. If I could afford doing so presently, I'd go buy you a half decent set up, send it out to you. There might be others who can do a PIF. For now, I think any of the AIO devices might suit to get you a bit better quality vape experience. (AIO = All In One, it's the mod and tank all in a handy single unit. ) Most of those are running around 20-30$ on most online vendors. Once you got a little more versed in vaping then, you could look for what you specifically wanted. But yuck on those Mark10s. I have a few but they are put back as my last resorts. *chuckles*

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On this note, you might experience what is called "vaping flu". You might feel like you get the flu but it isn't the regular flu. It is your body expelling the toxins of cigarettes/tobacco since you're putting vape into it. This will indeed pass. I suffered it about three days. Not all that pleasant but once you get by it vaping is much better. Also not everyone gets it, all based upon many various subjective vectors.

Those cartridges hold about 1.5ml of juice at the most. If I could afford doing so presently, I'd go buy you a half decent set up, send it out to you. There might be others who can do a PIF. For now, I think any of the AIO devices might suit to get you a bit better quality vape experience. (AIO = All In One, it's the mod and tank all in a handy single unit. ) Most of those are running around 20-30$ on most online vendors. Once you got a little more versed in vaping then, you could look for what you specifically wanted. But yuck on those Mark10s. I have a few but they are put back as my last resorts. *chuckles*

Hmm interesting about the vaping flu. I did feel bad a while back, thought I was getting the flu, but mainly just slept a lot. The wheezing mostly happens in the AM or when I chain vape (PM). Thank you, but right now I'm free from Big Tobacco's nasty ecig.. A friend had an old cigalike and a bunch of blank cartridges she gave me. But those cartridges are about to run out, so I'm on the lookout for something better! I'll check out the AIO devices for sure.

Once I tried a cartridge with some good eliquid, I was amazed at how I managed to vape those Marktens for an 2 entire months... really bad! I've been looking at these cute little pod devices and things like the iCare, and I ordered the Myvapors Mymini. (Got it for $10 on sale. It's suppose to be like a better-made iCare, but uses the same coils.) Oddly enough... I really didn't like the juice I was using in it. Tasted strong and alcohol-y. So now I'm confused... Not sure if the device gives bad flavor, or if I can better taste the juice and don't like it. :huh: I did prime the coil.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah, I'm looking at a Mymini. These look pretty neat for entry level devices. From the sounds of it though, you might be getting ready to roll over to intermediate level. Nothing wrong staying where you're comfortable though, in fact that's really the test "does this suit me?" I'm not "pushing" but you might look into a box mod, possibly Innokin's Coolfire line of mods, or any Eleaf mod. Then you can use a plethora of atomizers, a tank style if you want, or a rebuildable dripping atomizer. Don't let the notion of "rebuildable" scare you too much. You can buy pre-made coils which then only require inserting into a deck.

Hm, alcohol tasting juice might indicate too much PG in the juice. It tends to be more of an alcohol than VG usually is, not that VG isn't or cannot be an alcohol. When you go to buy juice again look for, or ask for something leaning a bit heavier on VG. Start low, say for example 40% PG & 60%VG you can then move up ten percent as suits you and if the VG gives you issues go the opposite direction, again in graduated steps until you find the level you can handle. If you start getting a peppery taste, you have too much nicotine or maybe you need to change out a coil. If a coil gets too "gunked" up it won't fully vaporrize/atomize your juice. That causes any nicotine, if any, to "spit" out peppery taste.

I haven vaping about two, maybe three years off and on, know at least two pretty solid. I use 80-90%VG and 18mg of nicotine per ml of juice. I tried going to 12mg of nicotine recently but had to return to 18mg. And yes, I'm using RDAS and a mechanical mod. *chuckles* The set up/s I use are "pretty good" gear and I do alright building my coils, kind of seem to have been adopted into some arcane Jedi coil building religion. :) Again it's back to personal preference for what a person does. One might think I would use around 6mg nicotine as a lot of the contemporaries are doing, but no, that's for them and not me.

You'll find what works for you. In the meantime don't be too afraid trying different things. Remember though. "Always use caution and responsible care with any batteries. Always have backups for your backups, for your backups." You might want too look up Mooch's Battery Safety as that will offer some excellent guidance on battery safety, Ohms Law and such. Is that important if you keep using regulated mods? Maybe not so much so if you use mechanical but it is still something to be aware of in vaping generally.

Welcome to the asylum by the way. :) Us lunatics like posing as orderlies every alternate Tuesday, or those days with day in them, not sure how that worked now. *grin* Also remember, don't pet the sweaty things and don't sweat the petty ones. :) If you need a dingy, holler out, somebody will paddle by and help you up into one.

fozzy71

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have/had childhood asthma also. I haven't needed an inhaler since I switched to vaping but I too ran into the tight chest issues when I tried some 80vg store bought juice. Now that I DIY I keep it at 70vg without issue.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No breathing problems or asthma here.
But if I vape over 50% VG I start hacking up VG so I vape 60 PG/40 VG and all is well.
Flavor is better with the higher PG as well.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi all,

I have this same issue. I've been vaping for over 5 years and found my problem was related to a specific TYPE of VG. I can vape palm VG with no issues... However, Soy based VG sends me into an asthma like attack. I vape 70VG/3nic

You could also be sensitive to certain flavorings... try a different flavor at the same high VG ratio and see if it happens with that one.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After quitting smoking for almost 40 years I now vape High or MAX VG as I do not particularly care for PG and throat hit. Never did I experience anything except for the withdrawals when I quit and I would suggest you seek a qualified Medical Diagnosis and opinion before you try to figure out what is going on. 3 Years since I quit smoking been vaping for probably 6 years.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me throat hit from PG is a myth.
That may be just for me but I get virtually NO throat hit from 60% PG.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For me throat hit from PG is a myth.
That may be just for me but I get virtually NO throat hit from 60% PG.

TH is mostly from nicotine, but higher PG accentuates it. 60% PG isn't that much; to really get much Th from PG, you need at least 75%, though more would be better. For me, at 3mg, even 86% PG isn't enough TH, so I also add Flash.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TH is mostly from nicotine, but higher PG accentuates it. 60% PG isn't that much; to really get much Th from PG, you need at least 75%, though more would be better. For me, at 3mg, even 86% PG isn't enough TH, so I also add Flash.

Andria
Yes what I have noticed too.
Many seem to think the 50% will bump your throat hit.
And it might at 200 watts :)
But I will never know that I suppose.

Vaper sucking down a 200W hit and coughing.
"man why do you get that 20% PG juice? it has too much throat hit"
:)

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hi all,

I have similar issues with VG, currently vaping 80PG/20VG. When I started out vaping 70pg/30vg was pretty typical, a year or so later when I tried 50/50 or 40pg/60vg it didn't take me long to get wheezy and a tight chest and I would occasionally cough up thick mucus. None of that happens at 20 or less VG.
Also since for me high PG at 80 or 90% my juice is a bit harsh on the throat I now diy using nicotine salts mixes which lowers the ph (PG is very alkaline) and gives me a really smooth vape.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If I go over 30% PG the throat gets dry and the TH when I vape is not pleasurable in my opinion. Maybe I should lower the wattage to compensate but screw that! When I vape what I consider high PG is gives me a dry throat even with a 50/50 mix. Screwed up an order by not specifying it and that is what they sent.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I go over 30% PG the throat gets dry and the TH when I vape in not pleasurable in my opinion. Maybe I should lower the wattage to compensate but screw that! When I vape what I consider high PG is gives me a dry throat even with a 50/50 mix. Screwed up an order by not specifying it and that is what they sent.
Different strokes for different folks.
Why I DIY.
I can make it just like baby bears porridge.
Just right for me.

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
I was in a similar situation when I first started 6 years ago I was using a 50/50 mix for the first couple of years then I started to get a heavy chest feel when vaping so I experimented with different ratios finally settling on 60/40 PG/VG which got rid of heavy chest feeling. Used that for a couple of more years until I started to experience it again slightly plus started to generate quite a bit of phlegm while vaping. So once again I adjusted it to 70/30 and have been very happy so far for the last 2 years with no signs of it coming back. You are going to find that VG intolerant vapers are in the minority. So not as much info is posted on the subject.
Just to add some info When I started my nic level was 36MG and slowly throughout the years I have lowered it 1 or 2 MG at a time unlil I am at 3MG Six years later.

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seeing quite a few ECF Refu
I have this same issue. I've been vaping for over 5 years and found my problem was related to a specific TYPE of VG. I can vape palm VG with no issues... However, Soy based VG sends me into an asthma like attack. I vape 70VG/3nic

You could also be sensitive to certain flavorings... try a different flavor at the same high VG ratio and see if it happens with that one.

Thank you, that's really interesting. I'm definitely going to check that out, whether it's soy or palm based.

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the asylum by the way. :) Us lunatics like posing as orderlies every alternate Tuesday, or those days with day in them, not sure how that worked now. *grin* Also remember, don't pet the sweaty things and don't sweat the petty ones. :) If you need a dingy, holler out, somebody will paddle by and help you up into one.

Yes I love the looks of the mymini, just not the flavor! I've been meaning to try an Innokin T18, but I figure if I'm not doing the hand to mouth thing, I might as well go for a box mod. I'm sure I'll still have to keep the cigalikes around though. Smoking for me was much more about the rituals than the nicotine. I was thinking maybe the Eleaf pico? It's nice and small. And yes the notion of rebuilding does scare me haha. But I'm open to it, eventually. I'd probably start DIY eliquids before rebuilding though. I can cook, but I certainly do not excel at putting things together or figuring them out. :confused:

Very good to know about the peppery taste, I've experienced it for sure. Very glad to know this is a virtual asylum, I'll fit right in! :D Seriously though, this place is awesome. My friends and family might lose their minds if they have to hear about devices and eliquid one more time :giggle: so I'm happy I found this place. Thank you for all your help!!

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Y'all are saints of the vaping world. I'd be pulling my damn hair out if not for the internet. This place is awesome. :D

Well I'm a lactose-intolerant vegetarian with allergies and very sensitive skin... Guess I can add VG intolerant to my list. :facepalm:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not think I have ever had soy based VG.
Except for the first month of vaping I have been 100% DIY and have only bought palm based VG.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Except for the first month of vaping I have been 100% DIY and have only bought palm based VG.

That might be the intolerance, some can hack soy, others cannot and vise versa.

I was thinking maybe the Eleaf pico? It's nice and small. And yes the notion of rebuilding does scare me haha. But I'm open to it, eventually. I'd probably start DIY eliquids before rebuilding though. I can cook, but I certainly do not excel at putting things together or figuring them out. :confused:

Yes, the Pico would be a very good starting option. Many here use those and then you got the Innokin Cool Fire cult too. *chuckles*

Excuse me for cutting short. Need to attend some offline living stuff. :) Darn that reality barging in unannounced!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Y'all are saints of the vaping world. I'd be pulling my damn hair out if not for the internet. This place is awesome. :D

Well I'm a lactose-intolerant vegetarian with allergies and very sensitive skin... Guess I can add VG intolerant to my list. :facepalm:

You may not be *entirely* intolerant -- I don't have a single problem with glycerine soaps or lotions; I just can't inhale something so thick and sticky; it glues my airways closed.

Andria

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
There were several companies using it back in the day... don't know if they still do.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, I am just the opposite of the OP. I do not do well with PG and think that I actually may be allergic to it. I mix all my juice Max VG and have no breathing issues as a result. When I add PG to my juice it gives me a sore throat and it just doesn't taste right. I absolutely can not tolerate store bought juice unless it's also mixed Max VG. I have ordered some juice from different vendors and end up giving it away.

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You may not be *entirely* intolerant -- I don't have a single problem with glycerine soaps or lotions; I just can't inhale something so thick and sticky; it glues my airways closed.

Andria

Very true. I know it's in my skincare products. I'll just have to figure how much I'm able to vape!

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Personally, I am just the opposite of the OP. I do not do well with PG and think that I actually may be allergic to it. I mix all my juice Max VG and have no breathing issues as a result. When I add PG to my juice it gives me a sore throat and it just doesn't taste right. I absolutely can not tolerate store bought juice unless it's also mixed Max VG. I have ordered some juice from different vendors and end up giving it away.

I had no idea how many vendors had fixed PG VG ratios. Seems like DIY may be the way to go.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Very true. I know it's in my skincare products. I'll just have to figure how much I'm able to vape!

Yes in fact when I started using Neutrogena clear glycerine soap instead of harsh detergents, was the first real relief I had of my serious acne, in my teens. Of course nothing used externally has much of an impact on acne that originates deep in the skin as mine did, but it definitely soothed my skin.

Maybe try something like 75/25, and see if that's tolerable for you. If you still have the thick/tight chest issues, maybe 80/20. I have to stick with 85% or 86%, but it definitely makes a difference in my breathing.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Everyone does not react the same way to substances.
I like to eat peanuts. Peanuts can kill some people.

Yes exactly.. just because some people CAN vape 80% Vg, does not mean that EVERYONE can -- I can't vape even 20% Vg or I cannot breathe at all. So I use 86% PG and 14% VG. I wish I could use 100% PG, but at that high a percentage, it does tend to burn my throat and sinuses, and the vapor is just a little too thin.

Andria

ETA: and yeah, everytime I read one of those posts that says "well *I* use 80% VG" I just think "well bully for you! But you are not EVERYONE!"

Kalifas

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes in fact when I started using Neutrogena clear glycerine soap instead of harsh detergents, was the first real relief I had of my serious acne, in my teens. Of course nothing used externally has much of an impact on acne that originates deep in the skin as mine did, but it definitely soothed my skin.

Maybe try something like 75/25, and see if that's tolerable for you. If you still have the thick/tight chest issues, maybe 80/20. I have to stick with 85% or 86%, but it definitely makes a difference in my breathing.

Andria

I can definitely relate to that! Best thing I ever did for my skin was to stop using anything harsh or with a fragrance. Apple cider vinegar and water helped my skin more than anything the dermatologist ever prescribed.

I'm going to order a sample pack with different PG VG levels. And when I'm feeling more ambitious... I'll look into DIY. I like the idea of being able to control the ingredients, and not worrying about what's in it... also, it's cheaper!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can definitely relate to that! Best thing I ever did for my skin was to stop using anything harsh or with a fragrance. Apple cider vinegar and water helped my skin more than anything the dermatologist ever prescribed.

I'm going to order a sample pack with different PG VG levels. And when I'm feeling more ambitious... I'll look into DIY. I like the idea of being able to control the ingredients, and not worrying about what's in it... also, it's cheaper!

Yeah that's how I am with my food, wanting total control over what goes into it, so it was natural I'd feel the same about my vape. I got into DIY a little at a time, some syringes here, bottles there, some additives from some other place -- because I noticed right away that 1) I wanted a lot of TH, 2) I needed a lot of PG, and 3) my tastebuds were apparently the next thing to dead, and I needed a bit more flavoring and a lot more sweetener than others. It really is a LOT!!! cheaper to make your own juice, and it ends up being a lot better too, because not only can you customize the ingredients for your own needs, you're not trying to please any tastebuds but your own -- and even if you make a few duds at first, you're only wasting a few pennies, not dollars (for ejuice that ends up being horrible). But it really *can* be a big investment if you try to do it all at once. But if you get a little of this, a little of that, here and there as you go, then it's not such a staggering cost. I didn't even buy half-liters of nicotine till I'd been DIYing for 2+ yrs -- I always just bought 120ml, at first. :)

Andria

VU Sponsors