Become a Patron!

Visa froze my debit card because of vape purchases

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I go to Walmart and my debit card is not accepted, talk about embarrassing! I stop by the back and I am told there was suspicious activity on the card. I ask what, they name off two vape stores that visa deemed to be "shady". I was livid, because they don't know what it is or don't like the type of purchase, I am flagged? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them being vigilant.

But, last summer I received a call on a Sunday from a Visa rep questioning charges on my account to stores like Sweaty Betty's, which ended up being an exercise store, lol, and some other odd ones, so my question to the teller was, why did they call me the first time and this time shut it down? Her answer? It must be because it is a questionable type of buisness!

So for now I am working on trying to order only through vendors that accept my paypal, don't want the debit card shut down again. It's too much of a hassle to get a new one mailed!

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had where Visa won't allow the purchase because it looked suspicious and put a hold on the card. Never had a card shut down.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Does Discover have a debit card?

I have found that they really look after me when I use my discover MC. If I charge something that looks funny to them, I get a call on my cell phone almost immediately with a nice person on the other end very respectfully asking if the use of the card is valid.

Sure, it is a minor PITA but consider the alternative.

Doots

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Visa looks at reputation of business transactions as well when your card is used for a purchase. They are looking out for your interests.. I dont think vape had anything to do with their decision to limit the cards use.. I have never had one shut down unless actual fraud was detected in its' use..

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've had my debit card comprised twice since I started vaping and ordering vape products, both times I got my money back, but had the hassle of getting a new card and going to the bank to get things resolved. So now I try to only use paypal where I can, the few places I can't use paypal, I have a credit card with a low limit, and limit the amount of places I use it at.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I go to Walmart and my debit card is not accepted, talk about embarrassing! I stop by the back and I am told there was suspicious activity on the card. I ask what, they name off two vape stores that visa deemed to be "shady". I was livid, because they don't know what it is or don't like the type of purchase, I am flagged? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them being vigilant.

But, last summer I received a call on a Sunday from a Visa rep questioning charges on my account to stores like Sweaty Betty's, which ended up being an exercise store, lol, and some other odd ones, so my question to the teller was, why did they call me the first time and this time shut it down? Her answer? It must be because it is a questionable type of buisness!

So for now I am working on trying to order only through vendors that accept my paypal, don't want the debit card shut down again. It's too much of a hassle to get a new one mailed!
This is common with Credit cards they should have sent you and email or called first.. If you have a Paypal credit card they will do the same just freeze it stupid thats why I use a different card that makes sense with online purchases.. That sucks

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years

Apply for another credit card through a reputable Company like Chase.

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I HATE all credit / debit card companies…. ALL of them….

Ok I got that out.. :)

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

yeah i just went thru that whole process....it sucks. i read an article awhile back of the places you aren't supposed to use your debit card. online, gas stations, hotels, grocery stores, retail stores were included in the list. so i ask.....where are you supposed to use them then ffs?????

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's f'd up they didn't even contact you first, they could have held the transactions. Some people get pre-paid cards just for online purchases.

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
On the one hand it is good that they are looking out for you. But on the other a quick call would have been much better instead of just shutting the card down.
This is my whole point! Last summer, they put a hold on it. Called and then froze the card, if I told them those charges had been legit the bank said they would have lifted the hold.

My whole bitching point is here I had been thru suspicious use before and they handled it differently, then the teller tells me it was that reason, no phone call like the first time, just shuts the card down. The two charges in question were from well known, long established companies..funniest thing they paid the charges then locked me out of the card.

Having both been married to credit card crazies in the past my husband I decided if we couldn't pay cash we wouldn't own a credit card, well hate to admit it but we did just break down and get a discover just waiting for it in the mail, lol

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I guess we all should be happy the cards seems to looking out for us.
Better than they just telling ya to f-off like the old days.

I like that my CC companies look out for me. In fact they have caught 2 bad charges and I never had to do anything except tell them I didn't make the charge. They have a pretty good handle on our buys and all.
After my second vape buy, I got a call and I told them I was quitting cigs and the lady was so happy for me and wish me luck with the vaping. So they all are related and share info, so after that, except for a large purchase, I have had not problem and that one was just to make sure it was mine.
Bitch all you want about Banks but at least the CC part of them are looking out for you. The rest, I am not so sure....

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is my whole point! Last summer, they put a hold on it. Called and then froze the card, if I told them those charges had been legit the bank said they would have lifted the hold.

My whole bitching point is here I had been thru suspicious use before and they handled it differently, then the teller tells me it was that reason, no phone call like the first time, just shuts the card down. The two charges in question were from well known, long established companies..funniest thing they paid the charges then locked me out of the card.

Having both been married to credit card crazies in the past my husband I decided if we couldn't pay cash we wouldn't own a credit card, well hate to admit it but we did just break down and get a discover just waiting for it in the mail, lol

unless you are a hermit and never go anywhere, you can hardly exist without a credit card. try making hotel or flight reservations without one.

i also think it's ludicrous that banks pay you like 0.1% interest on savings, but charge up to 24% interest on credit cards.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That happened to me one night. I went to purchase some vape gear online at 3 in the morning and it was blocked. After an intense google search I found a call centre somewhere in the world, god knows where, who unblocked it until the morning. Next day the visa company said I had a default setting on my card to stop me spending too much. I got them to remove it. They never tell you these things until it happens. One of our local supermarket's scanning self service checkout machines is full of bugs and sometimes sends errors via their bacs and blocked my card. I don't use it last thing at night anymore.

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Since our debit card has visa, we have done great for almost ten years without one. Never had a problem booking hotels or anything. However i have admit it will be nice to have as I start booking everything for my daughters wedding next year! Blows me away that even starting more than a year in advance how quickly things book. Her father and I are divorced so it ends up being me that puts deposits down and he gets around to paying his half sometime! Argh

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actual physical money is annoying, especially when they hand you the change by putting all the coins on top of the note

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I haven't had a physical bank account for almost 2 years (except for the following); I went with American Express Bluebird (in partnership with Walmart) - Bluebird.com They have 0 fee's, I can cash my checks at any Walmart anywhere, and most around me have 24/7 so that means I can get or cash my checks any day without any fuss. For those times when the retailer doesn't accept AMEX I simply use a PayPal debit card (Mastercard).

They also allow direct deposit and the ability to load money onto your account at any Walmart as well. It is 90% web based and also provides a payment system similar to Paypal in that you only need someones account name or email to send them money. I believe you can also send money outside of the system and I for sure know that you can utilize their bill payment system to automatically pay bills, which I use for most of my bills.

Merrick92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Discover used to have a one time online credit number that you could generate for online purchases. They stopped the service recently, which blows my mind because it was a great tool to keep fraudulent charges from happening. If you don't want a line of credit, pre paid is not a bad way to go.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

So for now I am working on trying to order only through vendors that accept my paypal, don't want the debit card shut down again. It's too much of a hassle to get a new one mailed![/QUO Hate to say it but it prolly will happen again. Just go and get a prepay card and it will solve your problems it is just that simple. Had mine hijacked several times using a card online. That is until I got the prepaid card. now I can use it worry free.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Discover used to have a one time online credit number that you could generate for online purchases. They stopped the service recently, which blows my mind because it was a great tool to keep fraudulent charges from happening. If you don't want a line of credit, pre paid is not a bad way to go.
I've heard of that. There was a company in the uk called EGG which did it. They advertised it a lot at the time but I haven't seen it mentioned since. I wonder if these's a problem with that sort of system? because it sounded like a good idea to me.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I haven't had a physical bank account for almost 2 years (except for the following); I went with American Express Bluebird (in partnership with Walmart) - Bluebird.com They have 0 fee's, I can cash my checks at any Walmart anywhere, and most around me have 24/7 so that means I can get or cash my checks any day without any fuss. For those times when the retailer doesn't accept AMEX I simply use a PayPal debit card (Mastercard).

They also allow direct deposit and the ability to load money onto your account at any Walmart as well. It is 90% web based and also provides a payment system similar to Paypal in that you only need someones account name or email to send them money. I believe you can also send money outside of the system and I for sure know that you can utilize their bill payment system to automatically pay bills, which I use for most of my bills.

i never have heard of that, and would not be averse to using bluebird if it wasn't associated with walmart.

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile