Become a Patron!

Voltage drop, Fun.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just got me a fresh 9v battery for my volt meter and plan to do some voltage drop testing between some mods and atty's i currently own or, are in shipping to my residency.

As i get more mods and atty's ill be sure to add it to the list here.

(Will be editing this often)

All tests will be conducted with a pair of brand new Sony VTC4 batteries i purchased a couple of days ago from liionwholesale.com

If you havent checked that place out ,you need to..superb prices, customer service and fast shipping.

Both batteries i received check in at 4.25v fresh off the Nitecore i2 intellicharger

(Each test will be conducted 3 times to ensure accuracy.)..Also note ,all threading and connections are thoroughly cleaned/polished with a brass wire brush or other method(s) to ensure the best possible connection)

Stay tuned as i get things ready.

The mods i will be testing:
1.) Copper SMPL
2.) Copper Nemesis
3.) Same Copper nemesis with fat daddys silver plated connectors.
4.) Stainless Steel Nemesis.
5.) Same SS nemesis with fat daddys silver plated connectors.
6.) Aluminum/Copper Manhattan.

Attys ill be testing:
1.) Patriot V1 clone
2.) Plume veil V1 clone
3.) Mutation X V2 copper
4.) N22 clone
5.) Infinite CLT V3

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
not sure it is going to work how you think it will.
There are cheap and accurate inline volt meters that will tell you the voltage drop.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I did a preliminary test on the smpl....4.10v from a 4.25v freshly charged battery...with the clt v3 atty attached (connecting ground to one ground post and touching positive side post of the atty as i fire) and saw 3.93v

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or you could get a regulated mod. Then, who cares about voltage drop. Have fun anyway.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
not sure it is going to work how you think it will.
There are cheap and accurate inline volt meters that will tell you the voltage drop.
Do those meters measure the voltage at the atty while firing or just the battery while firing?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Or you could get a regulated mod. Then, who cares about voltage drop. Have fun anyway.
Haha..i have a regulated...I would ask if you still have that dovpo gx200 or for sale or not?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Do those meters measure the voltage at the atty while firing or just the battery while firing?
The measure the battery voltage in the mech with or without an atty. so if the mech is causing the voltage drop it will be noticed there.
Then with an atty it will show further drop between the atty and mech under load.

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha... Yeah,but it's not even worth selling or you buying. Buy it on fasttech

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The measure the battery voltage in the mech with or without an atty. so if the mech is causing the voltage drop it will be noticed there.
Then with an atty it will show further drop between the atty and mech under load.

So it does measure resistance from an atty as well and give the voltage accordingly?.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Haha... Yeah,but it's not even worth selling or you buying. Buy it on fasttech

Buying...is it not worth selling because of your price? or, are you having an issue with it and its not worth buying?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To be honest i looked for an inline volt meter today...found a tobeco model for $12.00...found some version 2 of another meter i didnt like with the clear plastic case...Ill consider one though...the tobeco i found ,there was only 2 left...i guess they sell pretty good.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They do help if you are using mechs a ton and not regulated.
REALLY help when you start pushing the upper limits of your mech, battery and atty.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was however under the impression the voltage reading was only from the mod and not including any loss that may happen inside an atty as well.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They do help if you are using mechs a ton and not regulated.
REALLY help when you start pushing the upper limits of your mech, battery and atty.
Appreciate the info..ill consider picking up one.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Another item that seems to be sold out or out of stock are those USA ohm meters..i want a black one with the blue LCD for $22 dollars...lol...not in stock..sigh.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
allergy meds man, not firing on all cylinders.
101 doesnt sell them anymore anyways...found them for 10 but after some reading im not sure they are so accurate other than just a tool to just make a comparison with..More to this whole comparison thing than i expected...lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, well here goes one test...this is with the smpl copper mod..has the brass firing button and pin...The atty is a "said" authentic mutation x v2 with a dual micro coil build showing .5ohm on my sigelei mini as this is all i have for now till my USA ohm meter is ordered this week sometime.

The battery is now a day old VTC4 with a few cycles pit in and fresh off the charger but allowed to sit long enough for the voltage to drop down to 4.20v exactly.

As you will see im using a cheapie Cen-Tech volt meter from harbor freight but, it seems to work just fine and has a fresh 9v battery installed.

Installed the fresh vtc4 battery and atty..juiced up the wick and connected the ground clip to one negative post on the atty..The other clip went to one of the positive screws on the atty...there was just enough sticking out that the alligator clip was able to clip onto the positive screw, making this possible without a set of extra hands.

The only time i fired the mod was the one time for the readings shown...i fired it off for 5 seconds and took the snap shot.
20150717_023053.jpg
20150717_022023.jpg
20150717_023432.jpg

My test showed a drop of 0.28v in this set up at .5ohm

Last edited:

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Its my understanding that testing the voltage drop in a mod itself with no atty should show no voltage drop at all at the 510...if it does you should consider not using that mod as it has a "short" in it creating a load on the battery...a bad designed firing button or in the case of mech boxes, a cheap battery sled or a cheap 510 in general ,can all effect this.

In regards to these inline voltage meters sold by tobeco and whoever else, one must consider they use a resistor in them which will show a voltage drop as these create a load on the battery therefore, a drop in voltage..With an atty or tank attached this load will naturally drop even more as ,our coils are the resistance causing the added load on the battery at this point...The lower the ohms the less of a drop you will see...the higher the ohms the more of a drop you will see.

As far as what material is used in a mech, this has little or no effect on performance base on what ohms you are using in the atty or tank...In other words, if you are building a 1.0 ohm singoe or dual coil set up then a copper mod vs a stainless mod is not going to give a "readable" or much feeling of difference...perhaps KNOWINV copper is better is what causes this better vape in a persons mind...It doesnt take much current to handle a 1 ohm coil and even stainless steel has enough conductivity at this point for it not to be a restriction.

Its when you want to dive into the super subohm realm of things which choosing a copper over a stainless steel or alloy mod can make a slight difference in performance.

My conclusion is get whatever mod you want and just enjoy it based on design or your favorite firing button or even material and dont be so bothered over voltage drop as no mod should have a drop unless there is a load on the battery such as a coil or a partial short in the mod itself.

Based on my believing what ive read i see no reason to continue this "voltage drop" testing and put it to rest.

Still open to opinion and discussion however .

VU Sponsors