Become a Patron!

VU Host timing out constantly

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just thought id report this, it has been happening all the time for about the past week. this is the screen i get

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know how VU is hosted, but I've noticed this forum's software does a ton of background AJAX checks to keep you informed of the latest alerts / posts in the thread, which can be very intensive if this is hosted in a shared environment. As the place grows I can see that becoming more of a problem, necessitating the site being moved to a server it has full control over for maximum resources.

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but it might contribute to it.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Happening to me on chrome 100% now. Only way I can connect is with Firefox and that is slower than shit.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, My Chrome isn't having any issues.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine shows same error as in post #1 except the cloudflare network is in toronto. Maybe its cloudflare giving up on VU server to soon.
Bottom line ---it sucks---- takes firefox at least 20 seconds to load a page.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Not having an issue myself.

The only thing I can think of is when you sign in, check the "Keep Me Logged In" box.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just thought id report this, it has been happening all the time for about the past week. this is the screen i get

View attachment 9729

View attachment 9729
Assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups-- This is a problem on your side the VU has not been timing out at all I attach from many different sources
I would check your web browser if thats not the problem call your ISP its on your side

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups-- This is a problem on your side the VU has not been timing out at all I attach from many different sources
I would check your web browser if thats not the problem call your ISP its on your side
Simply use Ping and figure out the route times.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Simply use Ping and figure out the route times.
yes I was going to say use traceroute and see if there are any bottle necks at any of the access points but I made the assumption woops
that the op was not savvy

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the help. Tried what was suggested got results but don't understand them. As follows

Tracing route to vapingunderground.com [162.159.249.230]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 16 ms 17 ms 13 ms tl11bu.wp.shawcable.net [64.59.178.225]
4 11 ms 9 ms 11 ms rc2nr-hge0-19-0-0.wp.shawcable.net [66.163.73.19
7]
5 32 ms 34 ms 43 ms 66.163.76.22
6 34 ms 34 ms 37 ms 66.163.66.58
7 32 ms 33 ms 31 ms gw-cloudflare.torontointernetxchange.net [206.10
8.34.208]
8 36 ms 31 ms 31 ms 162.159.249.230

Trace complete.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
DUHH.

Don't have a freaking clue what all that stuff means!

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it means It stops at cloudflare but I know nothing. Someone here will though.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pinging shows also a certain pattern of time outs, most times on a big forum they can be experienced at a certain time of day during maybe a heavy server traffic time .

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the help. Tried what was suggested got results but don't understand them. As follows

Tracing route to vapingunderground.com [162.159.249.230]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

2 * * * Request timed out.
4 11 ms 9 ms 11 ms rc2nr-hge0-19-0-0.wp.shawcable.net [66.163.73.19
7]
5 32 ms 34 ms 43 ms 66.163.76.22
6 34 ms 34 ms 37 ms 66.163.66.58
7 32 ms 33 ms 31 ms gw-cloudflare.torontointernetxchange.net [206.10
8.34.208]
8 36 ms 31 ms 31 ms 162.159.249.230

Trace complete.
Since the site is hidden completely behind CloudFlare, we won't be able to tell for sure if it's just an issue with the CloudFlare node you get redirected to (which is very much a possibility, as we all get sent through different nodes dependent on our geographic location and thus might not experience the same issue), or if it's a problem with your ISP, or if the issue actually lies with the VU hosting beyond the CloudFlare wall of fire. Regardless, there's not much you or anyone else can do about it I believe, it would take some investigation from the backends of each service to identify the true culprit.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have no issue here, tried a traceroute from the US and it's fast.

162.159.248.230 is from United States(US) in region North America

TraceRoute from Network-Tools.com to 162.159.248.230 [vapingunderground.com]
Hop(ms)(ms)(ms) IP AddressHost name
1 0 0 0 206.123.64.46 -
2 1 0 1 173.219.246.92 173-219-246-92-link.sta.suddenlink.net
3 252 282 238 173.219.225.54 173-219-225-54-link.sta.suddenlink.net
4 0 0 0 206.223.118.145 xe-0-0-3.edge01.dfw01.as13335.net
5 0 0 0 162.159.248.230 -
Trace complete

I tried from Germany and it locked up just before SF in Cloudflare's servers. Perhaps they filter users outside of the USA differently?

Or, a peering issue..Shaw is rather crappy... ;-)

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Or, a peering issue..Shaw is rather crappy... ;-)
Ugh. Having really awful flashbacks to BGP issues in the NOC. The network engineers who keep us all connected don't get enough credit.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I setup a vpn that said I was in say california wouln't that direct me to a different node ? Maybe that would help to troubleshoot.

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I setup a vpn that said I was in say california wouln't that direct me to a different node ? Maybe that would help to troubleshoot.
Yeah, that would help troubleshoot for sure. Same with trace routing from online services like CaFF just did.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, that would help troubleshoot for sure. Same with trace routing from online services like CaFF just did.

Ya, that was just the edge routers..so on a consumer level it wouldn't help much. I just wanted to see if there was a router down. ;)
A lotta shit has to go just right in order for anything to work on the Internet. ;)

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
2 * * * Request timed out. Thats the issue, right after your local address of 192.168.0.1, it times out

Are you running a local firewall or firewall on your cable router?

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just setup openvpn on us1 located in washington. Connects perfect. Wow you realize how well this site really works till it doesn't.
Must be something wrong with the node to VU server I was defaulting to. This will work for me. Just have to diasble for peer2peer

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
2 * * * Request timed out. Thats the issue, right after your local address of 192.168.0.1, it times out

Are you running a local firewall or firewall on your cable router?
No, in a trace route it's okay if intermediate steps in a trace time out, some of these routers we hit on the way to our endpoint don't respond to ping packets but still pass on our traffic, and since the ping doesn't respond it gets registered as a timeout even though it continues on just fine. It's similar to how when you measure packet loss between two points, all the packet loss in between the beginning and the end is irrelevant as long as the last hop has no packet loss. IT can be weird like that.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just setup openvpn on us1 located in washington. Connects perfect. Wow you realize how well this site really works till it doesn't.
Must be something wrong with the node to VU server I was defaulting to. This will work for me. Just have to diasble for peer2peer
"Just have to disable for peer2peer". That might be the issue with your local isp possibly blocking p2p connections.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Just have to disable for peer2peer". That might be the issue with your local isp possibly blocking p2p connections.

No What I mean is the free vpn doesn't allow P2P downloading so if i wanted to do some I would have to disable the vpn first. Otherwise I'm surfin invisible from washington.

CJ

VU Webmaster
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Just wanted to chime in and say we're not on a re-seller setup or shared hosting.

I appreciate the 'tech' savvy ones replying and they were correct as we've not had any downtime's since the first few days of VU *knock on wood* :)

VU Sponsors