Become a Patron!

vv/vw/regulated question

New to vaping with what is probably a silly question... I understand how mechanical/unregulated mods work, but my question is...

Are ALL devices that are vv, vw, or both vv/vw, automatically regulated? In other words, as long as it's vv, vw, or both vv/vw, there is no decline in battery performance until the end when it needs charging?

I currently own a Smok Magneto v3 with a Mutation X v4 RDA. Just looking to buy a device that'll provide consistent hits without declining battery performance. Any suggestions to a good, regulated, tube MOD that fires sub ohm would be a plus!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
First of all, welcome to the Underground and the Wild, Wonderful World of Vaping!

To answer your question, in theory, yes when it comes to Variable Wattage as the device constantly monitors the condion of your coils and adjust the power being applied accordingly.

Variable Voltage, not so much. You set the desired voltage and that is what is delivered to the coils no mater the changes in the condition of the coil have occurred from use and gunk building up on it.

In my experience, when the charge in your batteries installed in your regulated device are low to almost dead, the last couple of puffs may not be at full power.

For example, if I am in the middle of a long puff, toke or whatever on my 100 watt regulated device set to 35 watts and the batteries are running on fumes, I can feel the temp drop off mid puff.

When that happens in addition to what the battery level gauge on your device shows, it is time to replace or charge the batteries.

I hope this has answered your question.

As to a tube style device that will sub ohm. What is your idea of sub ohm? 0.8, 0.5, 0.2 ohm? Somone else will have to jump in here as I am a box mod kinda guy!

uncleRJ:

Thanks for the reply and awesome greeting! I sub ohm at 0.3ohms and higher and also own an eLeaf iStick 50w. Totally dig it, but just looking for a tube style to add to my arsenal.

good luck with that world domination!

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a provari 3. They just recently made them able to fire at .5 that is the lowest though. It is a firmware update though the original ones can't until they are updated.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
One thing to watch with most vw mods is the output signal, some like the jellyfh are tuned a little high, its not such a huge deal if you set it to taste, but if someone with an accurate mod, like a yihi chip or evolv chip tell you they are vaping at say 50w on the jellyfish that 50w could be equivalent to its 35.
I would advise stick with a device that is accurate and a reliable chip, with so many out right now its really a game of researching, what you want. There are enough of us here that are knowledgeable enough to guide you in the right direction. And make sure your VW mod has the power you're looking for.
I own a P3 among several DNA and yihi powered mods, and if you're looking to fire a mutation x the p3 will not serve your needs with 20w. You would probably be happier with something that has at least 50W, 70-100 would probably be more ideal for you. If you're looking to run a subtanks, kayfun, a squape or something like that it would be fine. But 20w, is still grossly underpowered for an Atlantis.
Another thing with MOST OF the VW mods, as the battery declines and it gets to the point that it can no longer support your settings it will continue to fire what it can..but you'll know when its at that point

Last edited:

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
uncleRJ:

Thanks for the reply and awesome greeting! I sub ohm at 0.3ohms and higher and also own an eLeaf iStick 50w. Totally dig it, but just looking for a tube style to add to my arsenal.

good luck with that world domination!

Not sure of the ratings but you might want to look at the new Vamo's

Perhaps the new SVDs.

Both are well known tube mods just not sure of the most recent wattage and minimum ohm ratings.

Also one hell of a lot less expensive than the Provari's thats for sure!

I own a P3 among several DNA and yihi powered mods, and if you're looking to fire a mutation x the p3 will not serve your needs with 20w. You would probably be happier with something that has at least 50W, 70-100 would probably be more ideal for you. If you're looking to run a subtanks, kayfun, a squape or something like that it would be fine. But 20w, is still grossly underpowered for an Atlantis.

True... with my MutationX iStick setup on a 0.36ohm dual coil build, I find that 40w is about my sweetspot.

Thanks everyone for the knowledgable replies and suggestions! I got some more research to do!!! I'm eyeballing the Tesla VIII, Vamo v10, and the evic Supreme, so far anyway....

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
True... with my MutationX iStick setup on a 0.36ohm dual coil build, I find that 40w is about my sweetspot.

Thanks everyone for the knowledgable replies and suggestions! I got some more research to do!!! I'm eyeballing the Tesla VIII, Vamo v10, and the evic Supreme, so far anyway....

Just a word of warning or more accurately a concern, I have one of the original Evics around here somewhere. If memory serves it had a 15 watt upper limit. But the electronics would override my wishes based on the ohm rating of my coil and it never let me get over like 11 watts. If you order one, make sure the device "Puts Out" what you want from it..

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're not gonna find a regulated tube mod that does a mutation any justice. The fact that you're getting a satisfying vape at 40 watts makes me think you're using thin'ish wire. If you want your mind to get blown, get some 24g wire and a proper 'rda' mod. Something with at least 70 watts. Just my opinion. Happy hunting.

You're not gonna find a regulated tube mod that does a mutation any justice. The fact that you're getting a satisfying vape at 40 watts makes me think you're using thin'ish wire. If you want your mind to get blown, get some 24g wire and a proper 'rda' mod. Something with at least 70 watts. Just my opinion. Happy hunting.
Word! That sounds like a plan! I'm still new to the rebuildable culture, but this stuff is so dope... I'm still tinkering with different wires and gauges and builds. My dream would be to have an iStick in a tube lol

VU Sponsors