Become a Patron!

Warning: My Aspire Atlantis coil just FELL APART while I was vaping, and particles got lodged in my

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm coming on here to give a fair warning to everyone, and letting them know that there IS something wrong with these coils. Against my better judgement, I've been using the Aspire Atlantis (not with the new cotton coils), for about 3 weeks now.

Today, as I was vaping, I felt a STRONG burn in the back of my throat, and immeditately started coughing. This was about 30 minutes ago, and I'm still coughing pretty hard every few minutes, and NOTHING will stop it. I can feel whatever it is, stuck in my throat, and can't get it out. It is itching my throat, irritating it, and it hurts.

Suspecting the atlantis coil, because it happened WHILE vaping, I went back downstairs after trying for a good 10 minutes to clear my throat with water, food, ANYTHING. I look inside the drip tip on the altlantis, and lo and behold, I see a BUNCH of gunk from the coil. I've never, in over 3 year of vaping, seen anything like this in a drip tip....not to mention the large parts, I still have no idea what part of the coil it is.

I'll try to get pictures on here later. I just tried now, but I need better lighting.

Right now, I have color, phlegm like material coming from both nose and mouth, because my body is trying to expel whatever it is that is stuck in my throat. I hope for my sake it'll resolve itself, but for now, I'm stuck with a terrible cough, and a feeling in my throat I can't get rid of.

I'm only posting this as a warning to others - be CAREFUL with the Atlantis. I did NOTHING out of the ordinary, and it was only running at 3.8volts (22watts or so).

[I posted this on ECF as well, because I want to get this info out there. This sucks and I hope no one else has to deal with this]

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you going to take it apart to see what fell appart?? If so do it gently so as not to disturb things too much.

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What did it turn out to be?

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That "gunk" is parts of the ceramic fibers that came loose. The way these clearomizers are designed to be vaped, (direct lung hit) along with the materials used is not what I would consider as a "safer" alternative to smoking IMO.

Would recommend you shelve that clearo ASAP and either wait for the cotton coils to come out or switch to the subtank if you wish to stick to clearomizers. I believe the delta tank also uses some kind of ceramic fiber, which explains why these tanks can withstand much higher power as opposed to the coils built with cotton.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to see the pictures of this as well, I sometimes use the Aspire coils, and I got them quite a while ago and bet they are these older ones. I will not use them until I know they are safe or I may pitch them.

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I want to see the pictures of this as well, I sometimes use the Aspire coils, and I got them quite a while ago and bet they are these older ones. I will not use them until I know they are safe or I may pitch them.
Yeah, since this is very important I'd like to see pics too....

Ngkon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Let's see some pictures. Any chance it's a piece of juice gunk off the vertical coil that shot into your throat? My wife uses the BVC coils and the center of the coil gets some awful gunk, probably from the sweet juices she likes.

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let's see some pictures. Any chance it's a piece of juice gunk off the vertical coil that shot into your throat? My wife uses the BVC coils and the center of the coil gets some awful gunk, probably from the sweet juices she likes.
Others are asking for pics too and the OP says "Later".... hopefully its taking so long because the pics are super descriptive and informative and not some black Tar ball on the tip of a finger.....

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hear that the Eleaf MELO coils work in the Atlantis....they are organic cotton

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't pitch them,,,,,,,,,,Rebuild them with cotton.

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not gonna beg you for pics dude but you did say Yesterday, "I'll try to get pictures on here later" and this could affect a lot of peoples health....I noticed they're asking for pics @ other forums too ? There are lots of extremely knowledgeable people here who, With decent pics, Could help decipher what happened. It could potentially save someone a lot of grief, So, with that said, at least Try as you said you would...

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
416125d1425139206-warning-my-aspire-atlantis-coil-just-fell-apart-while-i-vaping-particles-got-lodged-my-throat-dscn2075.jpg
OP posted this elsewhere.... What is this??
416126d1425139227-warning-my-aspire-atlantis-coil-just-fell-apart-while-i-vaping-particles-got-lodged-my-throat-dscn2080.jpg

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yep, those are my pics. Sorry it took so long guys, working + children :/

Thanks to the above poster for beating me to it.

edit: Adding the following which I wrote on the other forum:

"
Above are the best pictures I could manage. The first picture shows the biggest particle that was sitting in the drip tip. It feels like silica/gelatin.

The second picture illustrates the complete MUSH that the wicking material was, directly underneath the mesh that BECAME UNSEATED ON ITS OWN.

Keep in mind this was a BRAND NEW coil. I was vaping at LOW wattage (compared to what the Atlantis is designed for). That means that there is a manufacturing error/defect here. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Aspire has ALREADY replaced their coils now. They no longer use the same wicking material, instead they new use COTTON."

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First how you feeling now??

Second looking at those pic's, and it being a new coil, that looks like extra material left behind during manufacturing. I can't see new wicking material falling apart that fast. You have to keep in mind that these things are not made by had, but are made by machine. Machines can't see if there is anything extra flying around in the process. Shit can happen in manufacturing.
Now don't get me wrong I am not trying to defend them!! But it would be nice if you took it apart and see if was actually that the wicking material actually fell apart. A hunk that big would actually be noticeable if in fact it did break off.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cant seem to see the pic, and trying the direct link to it doesn't seem to work for me, maybe b/c I'm perma-banned from ECF so I cant log on to see attached pics lol

Anyway, whether the gunk was from the wick or machine error, I think the important point is that someone got something lodged in their throat as a direct result of using these clearomizers. Even if the chunks do in fact turn out to be parts of the ceramic wick, or not, I would still be more concerned about the microscopic stuff that you don't notice being sucked in every time you draw on these things.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cant seem to see the pic, and trying the direct link to it doesn't seem to work for me, maybe b/c I'm perma-banned from ECF so I cant log on to see attached pics lol

Anyway, whether the gunk was from the wick or machine error, I think the important point is that someone got something lodged in their throat as a direct result of using these clearomizers. Even if the chunks do in fact turn out to be parts of the ceramic wick, or not, I would still be more concerned about the microscopic stuff that you don't notice being sucked in every time you draw on these things.
The pictures are not good enough to tell what it is....

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The pictures are not good enough to tell what it is....
Yeah I know... I like nice sharp pics that clearly show the details. I just reposted these from the OP's thread at another forum...

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I know... I like nice sharp pics that clearly show the details. I just reposted these from the OP's thread at another forum...
Yea I just came from that "OTHER" forum and I have read the whole thread. The OP is not a happy camper because of all the nay sayers over there were jumping all over him. He stopped posting in that thread. And I don't think he will post back here anytime soon on this topic at least. Frankly I don't blame him!! Post a warning and get belittled like you were some kind of stupid newbe?? Has to make you think twice:(

Last edited:

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why is it that fan boys can't realize that hardly any of these are handmade and that there will be imperfections along the way?
There's no need to belittle anyone when all they are trying to do is point our a potentially dangerous flaw.
I haven't read the thread in question nor am I a member of that forum but I lurked for a few weeks and I have seen how they treat people that have a problem with their favorite product. A few of them act as if they have stock in the company (I'm sure a few do) and if you say something negative then YOU'RE the problem.

@OP, hope you feel better

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I just came from that "OTHER" forum and I have read the whole thread. The OP is not a happy camper because of all the nay sayers over there were jumping all over him. He stopped posting in that thread. And I don't think he will post back here anytime soon on this topic at least. Frankly I don't blame him!! Post a warning and get belittled like you were some kind of stupid newbe?? Has to make you think twice:(
I think a lot of the "Thread drama" over there came {Just like one of their Mods said} From the OP waiting 2 days to get a pic up....then after waiting that long folks were a little let down with the two pics that were finally posted..... But whatever,shit happens..My Atlantis is semi retired until I get some cotton heads. I think it mutes the flavor to bad... Anyone actually tried the Cotton ones yet?

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think people might get a little upset over the hype surrounding the Atlantis coils. They are wrapped the same way the Nautilus coils were which people used forever and I never heard any warnings about. Now all of the sudden with the Atlantis, it's the apocalypse all of a sudden.

Now, as per this particular instance, I can't tell what it is either, but I probably wouldn't put that back in the tank. lol

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People weren't drawing on the Nautilus like they are doing with the Atlantis. I wouldn't say its the apocalypse, but think its important to offer a word of caution to anyone thinking that these are just as safe as anything else out there. If you understand the potential hazards, and are fine with it, no problem then.

sub4me

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think Super did the right thing, he warned others of a possible danger, most on ecf treated him bad and played the denial and prove it game, idiots.

There where however some very interesting statements made by some members. Here's some quotes below.

This forum (ECF) is getting ridiculous for attacking people who report problems no matter what piece of hardware super has been an active member long enough that he deserves some credibility and for those making insinuations if you don't like reading bad things don't come onto forums. Its one of the reasons I dont give this forum (ECF) address to any people anymore just not worth it when there are better forums out there for new vapers.

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly why after almost 6 months on ECF, I haven't started a thread...whether it be about sharing an experience with vaping, or asking a question.

I'm inclined to agree with both of you. I just do a lot or reading and try to keep my trap shut.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With regard to the picture, I had the exact same thing happen to me... I noticed a tighter pull, so I took a super hard drag and *POP*, a similar looking piece of mystery material ended up in my mouth! I would have taken pictures of it, but as it happened when I was driving, i lost it in the fray. Now I can't attest to having any throat issues or what not as others have mentioned (all things considered I really liked my Atlantis until my Subtank Mini came along), but I will say that having that little mystery nugget end up in my mouth did have me reconsidering using it.

sub4me

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think its fair to say consumer safety or quality products aren't a priority for these overseas companies making vaper products.

sub4me

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With no regulation or rules in place there's no telling what quality liquid or equipment people are being sold. Vaping is a complete gamble and is buyer beware in every aspect.

2BZ4THOT

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With no regulation or rules in place there's no telling what quality liquid or equipment people are being sold. Vaping is a complete gamble and is buyer beware in every aspect.
If your worried about it being a "Complete Gamble" then do what many of us have done...Mix your own juice, Build your own coils and wick your own devices. I don't need Big Government telling me how to vape...

sub4me

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think most of us don't really want it however I believe some oversite is inevitable.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
People weren't drawing on the Nautilus like they are doing with the Atlantis. I wouldn't say its the apocalypse, but think its important to offer a word of caution to anyone thinking that these are just as safe as anything else out there.
I don't know if they are or are not as safe as anything else out there. I also never used a Nautilus and can't really speak for how people used them. I do know of plenty of people who used ceramic wicks in genesis atomizers and really liked them, but I also know of others who tried it and hated them.

My point is to the larger issue. Anything bad that happens with an Atlantis now is the result of the Atlantis wicking. A little glob of something ends up in your mouth? You get a sore throat? A rash on your anus? Your power steering goes out? It's that damned ceramic in the Aspire Atlantis. Mind you, I don't even use the things as to my taste the SubTank is better. It's just an observation, not a criticism. The Atlantis heads as currently configured aren't long for the vaping world, but I think there might be a more reasonable explanation for a lot of the things that happen.

Perhaps people didn't draw as hard on the Nautilus, I don't know, but I do know they didn't vape that low in ohms on the Nautilus stock coils because they didn't make them that low. So perhaps they are using the same level of nicotine and at .5 ohms that is hurting their throat. Or maybe they had a slight sensitivity to pg that they didn't notice as much under normal vaping that is aggravated by the higher intensity of the sub ohm vape. And of course, it is possible that it is indeed the coils themselves. As with a lot of things in vaping, we don't really know, ut there are a few things in vaping that wear a bad label, warranted or not, and the Atlantis heads seem to have become the diacetyl of the coil world. They might not have hurt one consumer, who knows, but perception becomes reality and here we go. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reporting their negative experiences. I for damn sure am going to report any that I have.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally, I will always err on the side of caution and will usually give the benefit of the doubt to an end user complaining about a possible issue or problem. Unfortunately, there are always dedicated fanboys that will try to discredit you, or basically tell you to fuck off and learn how to vape correctly, which is fine too, that's just the nature of forums, but the info is there and available which you can follow up on, or not ;)

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a similar experience with my Atlantis. This might sound stupid, but did you have it in your pocket? The tube on the Atlantis is so big that crap can fall down into it. I got a big nasty burnt glob of shit in my mouth, and upon further examination, realized it was a piece of pocket lint soaked in juice.

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I took a drag off of my SubTank a minute ago and felt something go in my mouth. Here it is.

90e9e5e8e7c54130fa7195c3cfce80c9.jpg

It's just built up gunk from off the coil. Probably time for a new head in there, huh? Lol.

I've been using the Atlantis for a couple months now, and experienced this a couple times, especially after switching to my box mod, same voltage as OP. Today got a couple HUGE chunks lodged in my throat around lunch time. I coughed one out, it was a similar color to a sugar coated advil tablet. Pinkish beige. I put a new coil in, and now it's starting to do it again. I didn't know cotton coils are available, but I will definitely be looking into them.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I took a drag off of my SubTank a minute ago and felt something go in my mouth. Here it is.

90e9e5e8e7c54130fa7195c3cfce80c9.jpg

It's just built up gunk from off the coil. Probably time for a new head in there, huh? Lol.

I just broke down a bunch of my subtank coils and one of the 1.2 ohm ones that I used for a long ass time was completely coated in that stuff. Looks like straight up carbon buildup.

Roguexx

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an Atlantis and I do notice that the wide tip. Collects anything it can find. Pocket or work belt always having to clean it out. Will have to look into the melo coils though

trlrtrash13

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I meant the flying pieces of wick.
Oh, that. Yeah, I haven't had any of that with mine. Just the gunk episode. But I usually use a dripper myself so I've got a lot less vaping hours on mine than a lot of folks do.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, that. Yeah, I haven't had any of that with mine. Just the gunk episode. But I usually use a dripper myself so I've got a lot less vaping hours on mine than a lot of folks do.

Doesn't hurt that I can't go more than a week without getting bored with my builds.

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Happened to me twice. I think I let the coil go too long...I was vaping a dark chocolate juice. First time was in the car and I couldn't stop coughing. The second time is when the rotation came back around to that flavor I took a pull and got gunk in my mouth like pictured above. Each time I refill my 5ml tank I will be checking the condition of the coil. Another flavor was still giving good flavor and vapor but the wick looked black...I replaced that as well. Thank you to the OP for reporting this. The second time the coil hit my teeth and tongue and made a horrible stain. I had to brush my teeth to remove it. Now when I pull on the head I take a small pull first. I vape mine at 25w

VU Sponsors