Become a Patron!

Wattage Question

Hey all. New to vaping here and proud to say that I kicked the cancer sticks to the curb almost a month ago. Really enjoying the vaping experience and have a few questions.
First off, my setup is an Istick 30w with a Kanger GeniTank. Found that the 2.5ml tank is a bit small for me so I am definitely upgrading down the road.
My question is that I am burning through coils pretty fast. Like within 2 days or so. Tried 1.8 and 1.5 and even .5ohm and still getting the same results. I am typically set around 12.5 watts or so. Spoke with a guy today at my local shop and he told me I need to be around 8 watts, so I bought a fresh coil from him and set my rig down to 8 watts. Now my vapes are cold and tasteless which really suck since I was enjoying the flavors so much. Not much of a cloud chaser here at this point and more about the flavor. I can taste it, but nothing like I was before. So my question is, where is a good area to be in voltage or wattage wise for a 1.5 ohm coil to give me the flavor back and not cost me an arm and a leg burning through coils every couple of days.

Any help would be most appreciated and I hope I explained my issue okay.

I just know I have something set wrong but wanted to get some feedback from the pros. Great forum by the way..

Also.. I found that I am partial to custards..lol. Just bought 30ml of Moon Mountain Cosmos Custard 12mg today to vape. So that is what I am trying to make work at the moment...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Simply adjust the wattage upwards for taste, what you like. 2 days is really fast to go through a coil, they usually last a couple weeks. You can rinse them off and let them dry when you change flavors.

1.5 ohm coils should be good at 11-16 watts.

You might want to look at a Kanger Mini sub-tank. It comes with a rebuildable head so you can re-wick when you want to. Wrapping your coils isn't hard, the coils I make last 30 days or so before they need to be changed out.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure why I am going through them so fast. They are giving me a burnt taste after a few days so i figured they were toast. So should 12 or 13 watts be okay for the 1.5 ohm coils?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The guy at the vape shop is not you. Set the wattage where you like. You can dry burn those coil heads and reuse them several times before replacing them. There is much better gear out there that would probably make you happier. For now just find a youtube video showing how to dry burn your coils so they last longer, set your wattage where you like and start researching a better atomizer.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When you say "burn out the coil" what do exactly mean?...i doesnt work anymore?...you just get am awefull taste from it?

Ive been vaping for about 2 yrs now and have yet to experience a burned out coil except for a new coil that just didnt work at all on a tank i just got a week ago from a friend.

There is no set wattage for a ohm...if you find 10 watts to taste better than 8 then theres no reason why you cant vape at 10 watts....I will say most factory coils use a very thin wire but ive used 10 watts with 32g wire plenty of times at 8 to 10 watts with zero failures and 10 watts is hardly enough power to burn the wire in two.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the reply. Not sure why I am going through them so fast. They are giving me a burnt taste after a few days so i figured they were toast. So should 12 or 13 watts be okay for the 1.5 ohm coils?

Certain juices gunk up coils faster than others. I'm guessing that's what you're experiencing. Dry burning will de-gunk them.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Certain juices gunk up coils faster than others. I'm guessing that's what you're experiencing. Dry burning will de-gunk them.
Unless they are cotton wicked....

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
BoomStick is on to something... Juice is to blame!!! lol

Awesome. Thanks for the advice all. I will try and dry burn them and see what happens. And no they are not burning out. They are just turning my juice dark in the tank and tastes burnt...

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Moon Mountain is 65VG/35PG. Kanger coils like 50vg/50pg, but 65vg/35pg shouldn't plug them that fast. Notice that the wicking holes on Kanger coils are tiny compared to some others such as the Smok Micro Core-A adjustable coils. I vape 85vg/15pg, or even 90vg/10pg with the Micro Core-A coils, no problem. And I vape at 5.5 watts and taste my juice.
Try a higher pg juice in your GeniTank and see how that works. And, if you really want some flavor, consider an RDA such as the Magma (best clone by Infinite). Also, if your next (tank) buy is an RTA such as the Lemo Drop, then you will no longer have to buy coils. Wire and cotton is cheap and lasts forever!!

VU Sponsors