Become a Patron!

We love cats

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a new kitchen helper. Ginger carefully observes everything I do when I'm in the kitchen. Amazingly, she doesn't make a nuisance of herself or interfere, she just watches me. Sometimes, she supervises, as in this picture, where she was telling me whether or not my cheeses were any good:

06-09-23 Some cheese and Ginger.jpg

And sometimes she helps me out, especially when I'm pressing cheese. You can always use a few extra pounds of weight on the press, right?

06-08-23 Ginger pressing cheese.jpg

She's just such a funny little girl. I used to get so frustrated that she was always up on the counters when I was doing kitchen stuff, but I slowly came to realize, she's just trying to learn to be a great Kitty-Chef when she grows up. ;) She said she wants to specialize in cheese!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We have a Milly-twin, too. Her name is Boo. :) I don't have a picture of her, though.

However, when Rich made that remark about the bread, and the misshapen toast? This is what he was talking about:

07-08-23 Ginger on bread again 01.JPG

This is what the bread looked like when she was done pressing it:
07-08-23 Ginger-smooshed bread 01.JPG

And the wonky slices, which did NOT want to fit in the toaster:
07-15-23 Ginger-smooshed bread 01.JPG

Poor little Ginger, she doesn't understand the difference between cheese and bread. Cheese = pressing GOOD. Bread = pressing NOT good! LOL!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly and I survived the recent heat wave here...temps got to 108F outside and 90F inside...with no AC.

But, I learned a lot from that 115F day in my old Apartment....Milly was never in danger....three fans and cold meat...

We survived and it's manageable temps now....If I'd had to go because she showed signs of heat exhaustion, there is a big portable AC cooling in an upstairs hallway we could shelter with...plus we got friends here...👍

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Feeding time at the zoo. I had something they wanted (can't remember what, now) and they got it. Sometimes it's kinda scary! (And seven of them aren't even THERE!)07-28-23 Feeding time at the zoo 02.JPG

It's best to just set it down and back out slowly!
07-28-23 Feeding time at the zoo 03.JPG

And just because she's pretty (and she KNOWS it!), here's our little Ewok. The flash washed her eyes out a bit. They're the most beautiful color of emerald green.
08-12-23 Ewok 01.JPG

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly is 5yo today....been a long time eh? 😸

I got her a new scratching post, as she doesn't much like the sisal ones on her old cat tree.

This is a simple carpeted post, like her old one and only $17 with same day delivery from PetSmart....a pretty good deal methinks. 😎

Attachments

• Screenshot_from_2023-09-13_12-31-25.png
    Screenshot_from_2023-09-13_12-31-25.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 2

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well. Our last feral cat, Callie (how original, she's a calico), who we thought was past the age of having any more kittens, had one. Back behind the stacked hay bales in the barn, in a narrow crack only several inches wide and a few feet long. We've been hearing the baby back there since it was born, but couldn't reach her. I kept expecting her to do like her mom did and climb the hay bales to get out, but no, she just sat back there and cried. Finally, yesterday, Rich took the shovel and spent some time digging in to that space from outside the wall, and after he stuffed Callie up into the hole, the kitten eventually came out with her and Rich was able to snag her.

She's the most adorable little long haired silver/black tabby, and we named her Gidget, after another adorable long haired tabby kitten born in that same hay room several years ago who did not survive the rampant feline herpes. We were able to save her brother, Sam, who we still have, but poor little Gidget didn't make it. So in honor of the original Gidget, this little spitfire Rich rescued yesterday is named after her. And she IS a spitfire! She was naturally terrified most of the afternoon yesterday and hissed at everything and everybody, but she settled down quickly, and when her mom came in the house, she was much more comfortable. Now she's wanting to play with all the other cats but they're still looking at her sideways, so it might be a while before she has a real playmate other than her mother. She has been amusing herself this morning doing her best jumping spider impressions. You know, humped-up back, hopping sideways? Typical kitten stuff. She's too cute to be legal.

I did try to take a few pictures yesterday, but my old camera is slow and Gidget is fast, so not many turned out well, but as soon as Rich can get them downloaded from the camera, I'll post some of them here. She is SO CUTE! Now we have 22. But what the hell? Is 22 any worse than 20? I think not. :rolleyes:

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's Gidget. She's just so cute and full of mustard! She's adapting to "city life" (with all the other cats) very well. She hardly ever hisses at anybody anymore, LOL!

09-13-23 Gidget 03.JPG

09-13-23 Gidget 04.JPG

You can't see her - she's hiding, shhhhhhh!
09-14-23 Gidget 01.JPG

09-14-23 Gidget 02.JPG

The cat food is still a bit too big for her, but we still have a bag of kitten food, so she's eating some of that, as well as still nursing on her mom once or twice a day. She's pretty much weaned now, though, I think.
09-14-23 Gidget 03.JPG

This morning I was preparing chicken leg quarters for dog food, and the cats like me to cut the tails off for them, so I do. I gave one to Gidget and she grabbed it, hunched over it and started gnawing on it, growling her cute little baby growl to warn the other cats away. She's a ferocious little creature! :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You can tell you only have one cat. Everything is so CLEAN. ;)
Yeah, it may look that way, but it's still a daily battle...dusting, carpet sweeping, regular sweeping, wiping down the appliances, sinks, and counters like 20 times a day...etc. Her fur/dander gets everywhere. Not to mention the cat litter...:rolleyes:

The lease is very extensive as are the Sec8 rules, and it's s 55+ building...so I gotta keep things tidy as possible.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I could maybe deal with all the hair from these 20-some-odd cats, but our house is coated in dried snot because they all have that rhino-virus. They were born with it, and by the time we got each of them in the house, they were VERY sick, so they've never gotten over it. Some have it really bad and some have a minor case, but all of them have it. You think it's hard work keeping up with the hair, keeping up with snot-gurgles is impossible. I literally can't stay ahead of them.

Little Gidget, being an only, and the fact that we knew where she was, got a kitten vaccination for it, and none too soon. The day I gave her the shot, I found her with one eye glued shut. I think she was technically too young for a vaccination, but if I hadn't, it would have been bad for her, with a lifelong snot problem. Now, though, she's bright-eyed and clear-nosed and so healthy and full of piss it's almost scary.

But the older cats are improving on some homeopathic medicine I found online. (And Gidget gets a small dose every day, too.) I figured why not give it a try since it has good reviews that say it works, and IT IS WORKING. There is much less sneezing and coughing now and what sneezing there is, is mostly minor (just a little spray rather than big globs, oh ugh). Rich and I have our fingers crossed that maybe, MAYBE, one day, they will all be healthy again, and there will be NO sneezing or coughing anymore. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've probably posted this before..but I just love this rare photo of her in this way...it happens in a flash...lol

Just look at that face...

Totally fits her...goofy, kinda dangerous, and yet playful still at 12lbs and 5yo.
And, after dealing with a traumatic 7-8hrs in 90+ heat stuck in a carrier in a U-haul to get here...she's still her kooky self. She dealt with the move far better than I did...😍😻

20230816_161827_HDR.jpg

VU Sponsors