Become a Patron!

Weird taste after cleaning my coils by dry burning and dipping into water

kloudsta

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I followed a youtube video on how to clean the coils on an RDTA. I have a Smok Skyhook RDTA box mod.

So what I did was remove the wicks, cleaned out the tank and device... and then I dry burn my coils at 75watts at 0.283ohms. I hold down the fire button for around 5-7 seconds for a few times until the coils are lit up brightly, and then I run the coils under water. I do this a few times until the coils look pretty clean and aren't black anymore.

I then proceed to rewick with new cotton, prime the coils and wick and saturate them very good and I notice that I get some weird taste when vaping it. I'm not sure what it is. I double check to see if my wicks are burnt, but it's not that. So what could it be that's giving this weird taste? Do you guys think I somehow burnt my coils by dry cleaning them for too long at high heat? Or could my seals somehow be burnt because of that? I'm not sure exactly what the problem is. I notice i only get this weird taste when holding down the fire and taking a very deep and long hit. But if I take short hits, I don't get this weird taste.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try less watts.... The longer you hold the fire buttom the hotter things get... Could be scorching the wick.. Could also be hot leg or hot spot in the coil.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Make sure you fire the coils one last time to dry them real good, and make sure they are still glowing from the middle out. Tap water in your cotton or hot spots would definitely mess with the way your build tastes. Could also be the new cotton, some cottons take longer to break in than others. But if its a real bad taste that persists for longer than a few minutes I would guess its a hot spot. I've cleaned thousands (literally) of coils the way you are and i can say that there is nothing wrong with the process itself, it may just be lingering tap water in your atty or a nasty hot spot. Good luck!

Edit: dont forget to check inside the post holes for hot spots, sometimes (especially with plain round wire builds) they hide in the posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloudsta

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't dry burn my coils with the wicks inside... I was in the process of cleaning my coils... and exactly what is a hot spot? Do you mean when the coils don't burn evenly? that one part of the coil is less bright than the other?

It seems to me that the weird taste is about to disappear now... like you said it could be the cotton or it could be tap water not being completely dried somewhere on my build deck...

Also how longs do coils last before I have to replace them? I mean if you can clean coils by firing them and running/dipping them in water, then I guess they should last a pretty long time right?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You took off the oxidation coating on the coils, that's why it tastes funny. It will pass.

kloudsta

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So if that oxidation comes off, will it cause any harm? And you said that funny taste will go away soon?

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The metal of most coils made from SS or Kanthal/Nichrome will last a very long time, I don't think I've ever made one that I had to trash because it was starting to deteriorate from use or metal fatigue. A bunch have hit the bin just to make room for some kind of new build. If they are something I want to keep, I take a small stainless steel brush to them and scrub the crap out of them, with little or no apparent adverse effect on the material. If they get deformed in the process, just tweak them back into shape. A nickel or titanium coil would not take that kind of cleaning abuse, and I don't use those materials anymore, partly because of the fragility/malleability, and there is the added concern of the "possibly" unhealthy aspects of those metals. A good drying, premium Japanese cotton (or rayon) for re-wicking, with consideration of a short break-in for the cotton as noted above, there should be no problem. If it persists, and a dry burn indicates no hot spots, make sure there is no cleaning solution/solvent left un-rinsed.

Twisted Vaping

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe I am a bit too careful, but I do the exact process but I only dip my coil glowing hot red into a small cup with DESTILLED water you can buy a gallon for a few bucks that will last forever, since you can reuse it several times.
I experienced after drying out tub water leaves all the salts and minerals on the coil that it contains. The coils looks much cleaner than it did with normal water after drying.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Try just burning off the crap, give it a brush, and then re-wick

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Maybe I am a bit too careful, but I do the exact process but I only dip my coil glowing hot red into a small cup with DESTILLED water you can buy a gallon for a few bucks that will last forever, since you can reuse it several times.
I experienced after drying out tub water leaves all the salts and minerals on the coil that it contains. The coils looks much cleaner than it did with normal water after drying.
I just hold the deck of my RDA close to my mouth and then I blow against it hard enough to force most of the remaining drops of tap water out, then gently pulse at low wattage so my coils don't spit boiling water onto my hands, and, after my coils are dry I keep gently pulsing and waiting and gently pulsing again so my coils get hot but they don't glow, until finally my deck and binding posts are dry and there's no more funny smell if smelling at a few inches distance above my coils. So this is how I dry my RDA after all the black goop has already been dry burned off of my coils, but because I use Nichrome they should never be forced to glow too fast nor too brightly so when I dry burn I use patience to dry burn, and I never run tap water onto my coils until several seconds after they've completely stopped glowing.

VU Sponsors