Become a Patron!

Weird Taste From Squonk Bottle

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I noticed it over the last couple of weeks but chalked it up to coil/cotton issue... noticed it again today and decided to drip some juice in the rda that I was squonking with and it tasted amazing... the only conclusion I can come up with is that it’s the squonk bottle.... I’m using GECKO silicone squonk bottles from kidney Puncher. Has anyone else run into this issue before?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I noticed it over the last couple of weeks but chalked it up to coil/cotton issue... noticed it again today and decided to drip some juice in the rda that I was squonking with and it tasted amazing... the only conclusion I can come up with is that it’s the squonk bottle.... I’m using GECKO silicone squonk bottles from kidney Puncher. Has anyone else run into this issue before?!

Dunno but my Dinky plus bottle
is going a horrid colour.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
bed54e0f6479a97ff537a19092c75206.jpg

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Is it like a plastic-y type taste? I've experienced this with some new bottles but not used ones. But then again, I usually rinse mine in hot water followed by distilled pretty often since I change flavors a lot.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Is it like a plastic-y type taste? I've experienced this with some new bottles but not used ones. But then again, I usually rinse mine in hot water followed by distilled pretty often since I change flavors a lot.

I can’t really explain it... maybe plastic like. I wash my bottle with every flavor change... probably washed this one about 5 times already.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I can’t really explain it... maybe plastic like. I wash my bottle with every flavor change... probably washed this one about 5 times already.

Wow do you have any other brand of bottles that don't get all funk-o? Maybe non-silicon or something?

Shaulisbvape

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Had one give off a funk. It sat for awhile cleaned. Used it and had a weird taste.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wow do you have any other brand of bottles that don't get all funk-o? Maybe non-silicon or something?

Yeah I got a mod maker soft plastic bottle I’m about to switch to... I’m an old school Vaper that just started squonking recently so those are the only 2 silicone bottles I had.

Any suggestions on what I could do to clean the bottle better? Maybe I’m not getting it clean enough

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I got a mod maker soft plastic bottle I’m about to switch to... I’m an old school Vaper that just started squonking recently so those are the only 2 silicone bottles I had.

Any suggestions on what I could do to clean the bottle better? Maybe I’m not getting it clean enough

for stuff like that I soak in 90% isopropyl for several hours then empty rinse with warm water and let air dry for a day or two.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

for stuff like that I soak in 90% isopropyl for several hours then empty rinse with warm water and let air dry for a day or two.

I use vodka

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’ll have to pick that up... I only have 70% isopropyl alcohol...

That should work as well.
Just fill the bottle and let it sit for several hours, dump rinse with warm water and let air dry for a couple days to be sure all the alc is out of the silicone.
Isopropyl seems to get rid of flavors/odors best for me.
But many say vodka or Pure Grain Alc.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That should work as well.
Just fill the bottle and let it sit for several hours, dump rinse with warm water and let air dry for a couple days to be sure all the alc is out of the silicone.
Isopropyl seems to get rid of flavors/odors best for me.
But many say vodka or Pure Grain Alc.

Awesome... I’ll give it a try... thanks guys!!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use vinegar and water. Fill them and let them sit for three days (I usually forget about them and they can go a week). A hot, thorough rinse and they're good to go.

Arthur-VU

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I’ll have to pick that up... I only have 70% isopropyl alcohol...

PLEASE if you want to avoid going to the hospital, do NOT use isopropyl alcohol, if any residue is left behind and gets into your juice not only will it taste nasty, and burn your mouth and lungs, but it is toxic and fatal to inhale or ingest in any way.

You want ETHYL alcohol or ETHANOL, hence unflavored Vodka or Everclear to clean and then rinse very well with water, and then let dry overnight.

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oil clings to silicone. You need something to cut the oil, like Dawn dish soap. Dawn, coincidentally enough has alcohol in it. Also, boiling the bottles for 10 minutes or so after cleaning with any type of alcohol will remove it.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oil clings to silicone. You need something to cut the oil, like Dawn dish soap. Dawn, coincidentally enough has alcohol in it. Also, boiling the bottles for 10 minutes or so after cleaning with any type of alcohol will remove it.

Wouldn’t the soap leave a scent/taste in the silicone?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So the deal with the Cappy squonk bottles fell threw... have you guys tried Varitube bottles before?

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Coil hotspots.....They always taste funny....just not right but never like cotton or soap. Squonk it, count to 3, pull the cover and fire it while watching the coil for hot spots.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Coil hotspots.....They always taste funny....just not right but never like cotton or soap. Squonk it, count to 3, pull the cover and fire it while watching the coil for hot spots.

I’m a coil builder/seller, Def. not hot spots! It’s not a burnt type of taste it’s like a bad taste on the exhale

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dawn dish soap. Dawn, coincidentally enough has alcohol in it. Also, boiling the bottles for 10 minutes or so after cleaning with any type of alcohol will remove it.

I use vinegar and water. Fill them and let them sit for three days (I usually forget about them and they can go a week). A hot, thorough rinse and they're good to go.

I'll toss in a bit of advice as well. If the funky taste was too wretched I'd do what @bobnat suggests, followed with a hot water wash using chlorinated tap water in the Dawn & vinegar similar but combined as @RSZ1 suggests. I clean my Cpap gear with dawn and vinegar in hot water, rinse in cold, let stand ten minutes or more to air dry. Kills all bacteria.

Which in many circles recently seems a hot button toward much nefarious goings on, bacteria that is. Lots of really smart folks I respect views of say bacteria causes viruses, not sure myself because I'm not a doc but the way it's explained to me seems logical. How's that for funky tastes? Well figure bacteria cause stink, stank, dank, yuck so it ought to clear out bad tastes if you kill all the bacteria.

Also @RSZ1 suggests the obvious ... get new bottles. Even us poor folk can do that. Seems probably about the best route to go too, always going to need extras of extras or something like such ... :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh bacteria I worry little in my vape gear about.
Since I use at least 50% PG which tends to kill bacteria.

Vg not so much though. Might be a concern for those who use high VG juice. Which seems to be most people now a days since it is about all they sell.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ahh bacteria I worry little in my vape gear about.
Since I use at least 50% PG which tends to kill bacteria.

Vg not so much though. Might be a concern for those who use high VG juice. Which seems to be most people now a days since it is about all they sell.

Yep, guilty of high VG here myself. *chuckles* Started out using a 50/50 mix drifted toward max VG gradually. Think it's a matter of preference like so much of vaping on whole is for everyone that vapes. Even with the high VG, I don't worry much over bacteria with vaping. Sure, it might be a minor concern but really just keeping gear clean is in itself a whole category of needed part & parcel of it.

Granted I may be a bit more lax than most but I do clean my gear enough and well enough to suit myself, keeping it functional and optimal. My point regarding bacteria was that I thought it might play part in creating funky tastes, regardless of juice ratios. I see your point and it's not that I don't, my point though was rather more broadly stated. I'm sure we could debate at length juice ratios, atmospheric changes, curled toenails of dead relations, coil density in gravitational pull, the Orange Emporer's hair piece all having effects on vaping.

*grins* Yeah, we could ... *chuckles* rather not, all seems a :deadhorse: after a point. Vaping in part is about something fun. Can we keep that without a need of jihads, crusades? Bad enough we got all the other nasty dung out in the world. If I want that I can go to talk.origins FAQ & forum, or visit news.google.com, or even turn on Pluto Tv's "Top Story". What I want to see eventually just for giggles is someone make a scraple flavored ejuice, all this hub bub about bacon flavor, everybody leaves out Mr. Ed. *smh*

TL;DR --> "You're vaping wrong!" "Oh yeah, .... GFY!"

Hm, wait was that another Wasp in a cart? Can't recall, either that or another Gorge and a can o' SPAM! BRB. Yep, a wasp it was along with a K nife. This knife it looks like a decent grubby survivalist type of k nife, like I needs another. *lol*

Last edited:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have issues with high VG.
Any mix of VG higher than 50% and I get heavy lungs and start hacking up VG.

Everyone is different! Some people have the same thing with the PG... thankfully with vaping we can customize almost every aspect of what we vape and how we vape it... it’s a great time to be a Vaper (besides the FDA trying to drop the hammer on us)

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I did a single bottle test run using the isopropyl soak method... so far I’m impressed! Day 2 of it airing out and I can smell absolutely NOTHING from the bottle!! Going to let it dry out another day and use it Monday morning... I’ll post my results here, hopefully the turn out is as good as I think it’s going to be so I can do the rest of them while I’m waiting for varitube to ship my order... really not the speediest shipping I’ve seen from a company, placed an order a couple days ago and it hasn’t even shipped out yet :(

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes most everyone can vape and be off the smokes.
Was difficult for me as I found out early on that I am allergic to ingredient(s) in most commercial ejuice.
Causes me moderately severe mouth and throat irritation, swelling and total loss of taste for a couple of days and sore lungs.
Found 1 cheap Tobacco juice I could vape and then within a couple of months moved into DIY and found some flavorings I can tolerate.
Still toss around 3/4 of the flavorings that I try but otherwise working very well for me.
Have been 100% DIY for 3 years.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Was difficult for me as I found out early on that I am allergic to ingredient(s) in most commercial ejuice.
Causes me moderately severe mouth and throat irritation, swelling and total loss of taste for a couple of days and sore lungs.
Found 1 cheap Tobacco juice I could vape and then within a couple of months moved into DIY and found some flavorings I can tolerate.
Still toss around 3/4 of the flavorings that I try but otherwise working very well for me.

Yeah I’m a fellow DIYer as well. I’ve been mixing for about 6 years now maybe a little longer

RSZ1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I couldn't vape any commercial juice. The taste of all the fake flavors was just too much to vape all day. I almost gave up on vaping a couple weeks in, until I ran across Super_X_Drifter (Russ) who was vaping unflavored juice. Ran down to my local vape shop and had them mix up a bottle of unflavored. The guy at the shop thought I was nuts. After a few pulls I knew I had found "it". Ordered 1L of nic and VG and PG online and the rest is history.

I have some menthol crystals I dissolve in PG and add to my juice once in a while to switch things up, other than that can't stand any flavoring.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't vape any commercial juice. The taste of all the fake flavors was just too much to vape all day. I almost gave up on vaping a couple weeks in, until I ran across Super_X_Drifter (Russ) who was vaping unflavored juice. Ran down to my local vape shop and had them mix up a bottle of unflavored. The guy at the shop thought I was nuts. After a few pulls I knew I had found "it". Ordered 1L of nic and VG and PG online and the rest is history.

I have some menthol crystals I dissolve in PG and add to my juice once in a while to switch things up, other than that can't stand any flavoring.

I'm back to unflavored as well, and yeah, once in a while I add in a very small amount of NET, but for the most part, I tend to avoid any flavorings as much as I can. Tried vaping some of these commercial juices and frick, all I taste is sugar, its really NASTY stuff once you get away from it for awhile.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For plastic sqounk bottles or plastic E-Liquid bottles, give them a soak in hot-ish salted water and then a thorough rinse.

Leeches the nasty stuff right out!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm back to unflavored as well, and yeah, once in a while I add in a very small amount of NET, but for the most part, I tend to avoid any flavorings as much as I can. Tried vaping some of these commercial juices and frick, all I taste is sugar, its really NASTY stuff once you get away from it for awhile.

Have you guys tried making your own flavored juice? I don’t like commercial ejuice for the most part either... only time I vape it is when someone hires me to clone something

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the Beauty of DIY is that one can make their juice for them with as much or as little flavoring and sweeteners as they like.
Me? I virtually never go over 7% total flavoring. And use NO artificial sweeteners, on Liquid Stevia sparingly.
So may recipes approach 20% total flavoring...

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
the Beauty of DIY is that one can make their juice for them with as much or as little flavoring and sweeteners as they like.
Me? I virtually never go over 7% total flavoring. And use NO artificial sweeteners, on Liquid Stevia sparingly.
So may recipes approach 20% total flavoring...

I rarely go high on flavorings as well but depending on the companies I’m using for a particular juice it could go to 15% sometimes but only because of certain weak flavorings... I tend to use mostly stronger concentrates like FA, Flavorah and now Wonder Flavors (pretty impressed with a couple of their flavors, still didn’t try nearly enough to say they are a solid flavor line)... Capella, TFA & FW are what raise my total flavor % due to them being weaker...

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So I did a single bottle test run using the isopropyl soak method... so far I’m impressed! Day 2 of it airing out and I can smell absolutely NOTHING from the bottle!! Going to let it dry out another day and use it Monday morning... I’ll post my results here, hopefully the turn out is as good as I think it’s going to be so I can do the rest of them while I’m waiting for varitube to ship my order... really not the speediest shipping I’ve seen from a company, placed an order a couple days ago and it hasn’t even shipped out yet :(

Be interested to see if this works I’ve got those modmaker bottles as well and notice a plastic taste think I’ll use vodka instead my isopropyl is really high concentrate

Could also be the tubing rather than the bottles?

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Be interested to see if this works I’ve got those modmaker bottles as well and notice a plastic taste think I’ll use vodka instead my isopropyl is really high concentrate

Yea, you've got to wonder about the grade they use.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

The isopropyl worked great man... I did it to one of my GECKO silicone bottles that I got from kidney Puncher. I just put some isopropyl in my other GECKO bottle and my super soft modmaker . I leave the isopropyl in for 3 hrs and then rinse with water and then air dry for 2-2.5 days. The bottle smelled like absolutely nothing, I couldn’t believe it.

I saw a YouTube video from Jai Haze today and he was mentioning how his Lost Vape bottles have a horrible taste in them and he described it as like a stale juice type of taste and I thought that was a pretty good description of what I was tasting.

Thank you everyone for the help!!!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
For plastic sqounk bottles or plastic E-Liquid bottles, give them a soak in hot-ish salted water and then a thorough rinse.

Leeches the nasty stuff right out!

Uncle does this have similar effect to the above after they have been used for a while?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Uncle does this have similar effect to the above after they have been used for a while?

I actually tried this last week and it didn’t help much.. maybe I didn’t have enough salt, who knows? I’m extremely happy how things turned out with the 70% isopropyl alcohol though... I doubt I’ll try other methods after how well this worked for me

VU Sponsors