Become a Patron!

What am I doing wrong?

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my first post, so first of all, hello! Some background info...I smoke about a pack a day and I just turned 30 so it's time to take quitting seriously. I tried one of the Blu disposables for a week and even though it felt like sucking on a car air freshener it helped tremendously with cravings and I found it pretty easy to not smoke at all for 5 days...until the weekend came and I was drinking and hanging around smokers. I decided if I had something that I actually enjoyed vaping on then I really think I have a shot at quitting. Anyway, some friends recommended the eVic VT. That came in the mail today. I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube but it seems like all of them are guys talking about the features but not explaining them and then showing off their clouds. So I went out and got some juice from a local shop. It's made in-house so I don't know much about it really apart from that it contains 6mg of nicotine. To be honest the music in the place was unbearable and the guys at the "bar" were eyeballing me like the new kid at school so I was in and out as quickly as possible. I'll be ordering juice online from now on. So I went out to my car and squirted the stuff into the atomizer, and a little bit into the coil dealie. I set it to 450*F and 40W...not sure why, just seemed like a good setting. Here's when things started to suck:

My first hit hurt BAD. I inhaled into my mouth and then into my lungs. If you've ever burned styrofoam and accidentally inhaled the black smoke, that's how it felt. It tasted delicious, but totally took my breath away. On a scale of Mountain Air to Bong Rip, this inhale was Burning Toxic Waste. There was also loads of vapor and it looked darker than I expected, not all white and peaceful like in the videos. The juice also crackled pretty hard as I inhaled and a lot of it spattered into my mouth which tasted like hot candy juice and was kind of hard not to swallow. Probably not wise. After I finished coughing my lungs up I decided that I should try turning the wattage down first. I went down to 30W and tried again. Perhaps it's also worth noting that during my first hit I had the carb/window hole thingy closed and this time I opened it about half way. This time not as much crackled into my mouth and I didn't get as much vapor, but the burn was still pretty harsh. Definitely not enjoyable. So I tried turning the temp down to 300*F this time and hit it again. This time there was no burn, but also barely any vapor. I tried some different settings after than but by this point I was feeling extremely jittery and lightheaded. Between the sticky juice getting in my mouth and on my hands and after hitting it 6-7 times back to back I decided it was time to step away from nicotine for a bit. It's now a few hours later and I'm starting to feel better. My lungs still feel like I just got over being sick. The good news is I haven't had any interest in smoking a cigarette! What am I doing wrong?? Why do I suck at vaping? Is getting the juice in my mouth normal? Could anyone maybe recommend a good setting?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First off, turn it down!!! Then work your way up. :/

Second, find a juice bar. And test a few juices. Find one you like.

Just a tip. Not everyone will be comfortable running high wattages. You may be one of those people. I am. I run 8 & 10 depending on my coils. And I get big clouds, and excellent flavor.

Your style, will also affect your vaping experience. I take SLOW deep lung hits. And immediately release the button at any hint of over heating my vapor.

A few more details, will help others, help you. What is the Nic strength? What are the Ohms of your coil. Etc Etc

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the info. I think 30W is the lowest I can go on this mod? The coil I'm using is Nickel and...maybe I'm retarded, but I think I can set the ohm on the mod? There's a resistance setting and it's at .19ohm. Should I change that? Also I'm using 6mg nic. The juice I'm using tastes great, I just...don't know how to use it.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the info. I think 30W is the lowest I can go on this mod? The coil I'm using is Nickel and...maybe I'm retarded, but I think I can set the ohm on the mod? There's a resistance setting and it's at .19ohm. Should I change that? Also I'm using 6mg nic. The juice I'm using tastes great, I just...don't know how to use it.

:/ Turn the temp down as low as it will go. Start over. You can only adjust wattage and temp depending on the mode it's in. The Ohms are whatever they are. Determined by the build.

I'm not familiar with your Mod. But I know it's a good one. Wait for someone who actually has one, to step into this thread and advise you.

What's happening is you're just starting, and lack the experience. That's EASY to fix. So don't give up. :)

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The specs are the following, not sure if that helps with anything:
  • Resistance Range: 0.05-1.0ohm for VT mode
  • Resistance Range: 0.15-3.5ohm for VW mode

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The specs are the following, not sure if that helps with anything:
  • Resistance Range: 0.05-1.0ohm for VT mode
  • Resistance Range: 0.15-3.5ohm for VW mode

That's a tech sheet, letting you know what the mod will handle. You can't adjust the ohms, without changing the coil. You can only apply more wattage/heat.

At .19 you're sub ohming.

I run .5 & 1.2 quite a difference. Again, wait for someone familiar with your mod. You can thank me later. You've got too much $$ and time invested to give up now, out of frustration.

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So in VT mode, at ~300*F I get no vapor. 350*F is as high as I can go and get vapor that I can inhale without being in pain and intense coughing but theres barely any vapor at that level. I put it in VW mode and started at 3W. I got zero vapor between 3W-20W and then anything higher than 20W results in really loud/violent cracking and popping. Higher than 30W results in super hot liquid popping out of the tip.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
OK
first thing first
you are trying to use an advanced vaping method before working your way up to it

You need to read the directions of the evic and fin dhow to LOCK RESISTANCE

Make sure the tank,coil juice and evic have set about 10 minutes at room temperature before doing this.

For TC to work
you need a base reading locked into the device so it knows what its doing.

If you dont do this, oh man, it can suck

Next you are using a sub ohm tank

These are USUALLY best with direct lung hits but mouth to lung is possible with closed off airflow and low wattage

Next taking a drag off this thing is nothing like a cigarette or a BLU

Theres NO FILTER to slow the inflow of vapor into your mouth

SO SLOW DOWN YOUR DRAW ALOT

Your draw should last about 3-6 seconds - everyone is different but thats a ball park

Next SET WATTAGE LOW AS POSSIBLE
it may not give you alot of flavor and vapor, but thats ok you should not be coughing. then slowly work your way up until its too much then back it down a little so you can use the device, juice coil comfortably. then you can work your way up in wattages over the next few hours to days

Set the airflow to NOT CLOSED but just slightly open.
Try opening it up as you experiment

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT
some like airflow closed off, some like it wide open, some like high temp with high wattage, some like high temp with low wattage, low temp with high wattage etc etc.

the key is to start low to get comfortable with vaping, then experiment.

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unfortunately the instructions just state that features exist but don't explain them. There's no mention of Lock resistance in the instructions, but you're right, that is a feature on this thing. Maybe that's what's messing me up, although I can't seem to find any information on how to use it. Hopefully an eVic VT owner will come to the rescue :)

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Additionally, it sounds as if you're using a high PG juice. More VG = more vapor.

Stay calm, help is on the way. You just need to provide as much detail as you can. When people start tossing questions at you.

It's a learning process. We've all been there. :)

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright, I figured out how to lock the resistance. So locking that after letting the whole deal sit at room temp for ~10 mins should make a difference?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Alright, I figured out how to lock the resistance. So locking that after letting the whole deal sit at room temp for ~10 mins should make a difference?

yes enourmous difference
but how you use it it will matter liek i mentioned with your draw and starting low and working your way up

when you lock it
make sure it reads it at whateve rohm the coil is
which i believe is .15

now if it reads out to 3 digits and says .149 -.161 your fine

but if it is reading .17 and up wait a few more minutes and try again

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update...Its on VT, set at 330*F, I locked the resistance...still on .19--that number never changes? I get just about no vapor with a 3-6 second pull whether its mouth or lung and both are pretty painful and cough inducing. FYI, I tried the juice in the shop on whatever little pen rig the girl handed me and it took two huge drags and it was super smooth and tastey so it's definitely me sucking at using the eVic VT.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
OK STOP

listen to me.

Im pretty sure your coil is a nickel coil
and it has an ohm reaing of .15 marked on it somewhere

if the device is locking it in at .19 THAT IS A PROBLEM

Make sure the coil is screwed in tightly to the base of the tank, make sure the tank is screwed on tightly to the mod

let it sit a few minutes and try relocking resistance.

you need it to read at .15 .16 would be ok

.19 is throwing the math off

also you MAY have burnt the cotton in your coil by running it without locking resistance first.

If this is the case, it will always taste bad, so you MAY need a new coil

I am not 100% familiar with everything that comes with that kit

so tell me what else you have coil wise, maybe we can figure something out

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, it's a nickel coil. I took the atomizer off and put it back on but still getting .19ohm. Defective unit? I also have a titanium coil, think I should swap it out and see if I have better results? With titanium what ohm should it be reading?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
crap
i forgot the vt has Ti and NI settings

DO you have it on the NI mode?

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup, it's in Ni mode. But...after taking the atomizer off again and reinstalling it the resistance now reads .21

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
and no its not defective getting the coil to read accurately is sometimes a challenge on any device with any coil. as the coil gets hot, with Nickel and Titanium
its resistance or OHM reading gets higher
so you have to make sure its all at room temp before locking it in

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok here is what i suggest

lok at the TI coil
and find its resistance

it should be .4

now put some juice on that coil and cotton.
install it on the tank full of juice
let everything sit for 15 minutes

then
set the VT to Ti mode
install the tank to the vt
lock resistance
if it read sbetween .39 and .41 your GOLD

set wattage low
set temp to like 375 F

and then adjust

if it does not read between .39 and .41 wait 5 more minutes and try again

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Going to let things sit and soak until I try it, but the titanium coil is installed and the resistance reads .38!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
.38 is close enough for jazz

most coils are not going to read perfectly

but .19 is too high for a .15 coil

MAKE SURE you set to TI mode

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HUGE difference! I noticed when I took out the nickel coil than the cotton (you can only see a tiny bit through tiny holes) looked really dark. Im thinking you were right in that I burned it. Could that have caused the bad ohm reading? I've been slowly stepping up but I'm now comfortably hitting it on 410*F and getting a satisfying amount of vapor, also the taste is way more intense and mouth watering! Thanks so much for all of the help!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
No problem

no the cotton has no effect on ohm reading

sometimes its a bad coil

i got 5 bad nickel coils for my kanger subtank in pack of 5.

nickel is also more temperamental then titanium or the non TC type wires (kanthal and Nichrome) SO if it got too hot because you didnt lock in resistance, you may have messed up the coil. Its hard to say.Could be it was just built to be closer to .19 then .15, but with burnt cotton its gonna taste like crap no matter what. Ive vaped for 4.5 years. If i take a burnt hit, I cough and gag too.

well crap i just looked up the nickel coils
they are suppose to be .2 not .15
so your reading was correct enough. but the cotton was your issue

most nickel coils i have used are .15 sorry about the confusion there. but the bad taste and vapor production was all due to burnt cotton.

with Temperature control
you must always lock resistance before firing the coil. otherwise it dont work right

chrislovessushi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup, definitely burnt cotton was the issue. No wonder I was coughing my lungs out! Im now closing in on 500*F with the titanium and it tastes amazing and the amount of vapor is so gratifying. Big thumbs up for the eVic! And a million thanks to you and everyone who helped me get on track!

VU Sponsors