Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Minor Cooking Lesson

The classic French mirepoix is cooked in butter. The Italian soffrito (not to be confused with sofrito) is cooked in olive oil. I suspect that the person who wrote that article is one of those classically trained French chefs who believe the French invented everything cooking related, since I also suspect Italians would take issue with the claim that soffrito is a variation of mirepoix.

Why does the cajun version (The Holy Trinity), which absolutely is derived from mirepoix, omit the carrots, and instead uses green peppers? They couldn't grow carrots in the swampy soil of Louisiana and so the cajuns needed something else to provide the sweetness that traditionally came from the carrots.

Here in Spain we also call it Sofrito although in itself it is not a dish.
I mean some people like to use it to dip bread in but that is rare,Sofrito as such is like the base or foundation of a dish you're going to prepare.

More than 50% of the typical Spanish dishes we cook require a sofrito,ingredients vary a lot depending on the final dish you aiming for but the basic ingredients would be tomato,onion and garlic.

From there well the sky is the limit,if you're doing a Zarzuela de Mariscos (Fish and Seafood stew basically) then you would add white wine.
If you were to use the sofrito for dish with meat then you add red wine,and the list of ingredients that you can add is almost endless.

But the sofrito is what makes or breaks a dish,like the foundation of a building,built wrong the whole building will just crumble well the same can be said about the sofrito.

Oh and about the sofrito,none of that tomato sauce in a can or whatever,sofrito without FRESH tomatoes doesn't deserve the name of Sofrito.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Minor Cooking Lesson

The classic French mirepoix is cooked in butter. The Italian soffrito (not to be confused with sofrito) is cooked in olive oil. I suspect that the person who wrote that article is one of those classically trained French chefs who believe the French invented everything cooking related, since I also suspect Italians would take issue with the claim that soffrito is a variation of mirepoix.

Why does the cajun version (The Holy Trinity), which absolutely is derived from mirepoix, omit the carrots, and instead uses green peppers? They couldn't grow carrots in the swampy soil of Louisiana and so the cajuns needed something else to provide the sweetness that traditionally came from the carrots.

Latest article i read about a study made about this had some historic documents that led to believe that sofrito is originally from Puerto Rico.
It was a mix of different influences: the Taino Indians from Puerto Rico,the Spaniards that were there and also the Africans.
First historical mention of the technique of making sofrito dates back from 1324,its name back then was ''sofregit'' and was mentioned in a book called ''Libre de Sent Sovi''.

Also in Cataluña (top south east of Spain) they had a similar process but without tomatoes,those were incorporated once Colombus brought them to Spain.

Lots of variations and names for the sofrito depending on the country,Dominican Republic has one name for it,same for Cuba and also the area of Yucatan in Mexico has another name for it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Updated the recipe a bit based on the final results. This is How I will make it next time.
The spinach I would say is optional, it doesn't really add much to the soup, but it doesn't hurt it either. I just did it this way so I could get some leafy greens into the meal without having to make a side salad or cook them in another pot.

This really is quite garlicky, so garlic lovers will probably be fine with the amount. Of course if you aren't a garlic lover, this is probably not the soup for you. I'm actually loving it, other than the sticking to the bottom of the pot thing. Hopefully simply taking out the potato will resolve that. I think I will leave it as it is currently written for my next try. But I still intend to come up with a recipe that includes green peppers and a tomatoey base as well.

It's the starchy things that make it stick when the bubbling gets going strong. You can add the potatoes later in the process and reduce the heat until they're done.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Latest article i read about a study made about this had some historic documents that led to believe that sofrito is originally from Puerto Rico.
It was a mix of different influences: the Taino Indians from Puerto Rico,the Spaniards that were there and also the Africans.
First historical mention of the technique of making sofrito dates back from 1324,its name back then was ''sofregit'' and was mentioned in a book called ''Libre de Sent Sovi''.

Also in Cataluña (top south east of Spain) they had a similar process but without tomatoes,those were incorporated once Colombus brought them to Spain.

Lots of variations and names for the sofrito depending on the country,Dominican Republic has one name for it,same for Cuba and also the area of Yucatan in Mexico has another name for it.

Sofrito

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I have to admit that my knowledge of either Spanish cooking or of any Latin American cooking is limited to what is usually called Mexican food in my area but is really far too Americanized to be called Mexican. Hell, some of it wouldn't even pass for Tex-Mex.

I appreciate the information, it might just inspire me to broaden my horizons a bit.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's the starchy things that make it stick when the bubbling gets going strong. You can add the potatoes later in the process and reduce the heat until they're done.
I was trying to use the potatoes as a kind of thickener, so originally pureed them with some of the chickpeas. But I think maybe that isn't needed.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
I have to admit that my knowledge of either Spanish cooking or of any Latin American cooking is limited to what is usually called Mexican food in my area but is really far too Americanized to be called Mexican. Hell, some of it wouldn't even pass for Tex-Mex.

I appreciate the information, it might just inspire me to broaden my horizons a bit.

Good to hear,if you ever want the real recipe of Spanish Alioli let me know,would be happy to post it and walk you thru it.
Trust me what they serve in the USA and Canada ain't Alioli,it is basically a fancy mayonnaise.

Your breath will be bad thou but a Spanish remedy is chewing on Parsley or Mint leaves,but normally folks just use Parsley.

Back in High school when i lived in Canada i cooked Alioli for my cafeteria class,2 days later the principal called me to his office.
The whole damn school smelled like Garlic hahaha,he told me what while he appreciated my cooking talent and giving people the chance to try out dishes from other countries that i was banned from using or touching or even looking at Garlic.

Two friends in my cafeteria class who were also in wood shop class thought it would be funny to make a box with a lock,there they always put the Garlic and only the Chef in charge had the keys.
Gotta say it was pretty funny when i saw the box with a lock and a sign saying ''If Frank opens this box he will be expelled'' hehe

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It may be absolutely true in your specific area, but if you dig around you may find a good authentic latin food restaurant of some kind. Many of the migrant crop workers have settled and opened restaurants all over the country over the years. We have a lot of really good ones, usually in poor areas of town.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
It may be absolutely true in your specific area, but if you dig around you may find a good authentic latin food restaurant of some kind. Many of the migrant crop workers have settled and opened restaurants all over the country over the years. We have a lot of really good ones, usually in poor areas of town.

Here in Europe it also happens with Chinese food.
I mean for example ''Arroz tres delicias'',like stir fried rice with shrimp,omelette chopped up and ham the way they serve here in Spain doesn't exist in China.
Same can be said of the ''Arroz tres delicias'' you eat in the US (can't remember the name it has at the moment.
From what i remember it was the time of the construction of the railroads in Sacramento in the 1800's,think 1863 or 1864 when the Chinese who were working on the railroads came up with the dish.

Other countries like Peru and Ecuador also have their version of ''Arroz tres delicias'' but yeah if you went to China you wouldn't find anything like that.

There is a fried rice recipe that originated from Yangzhou but that has barely any resemblance for most of the rice stir fried rice you find all over the world.

The few months i spent in China you did find the non traditional version of the fried rice in hotels and in areas where there was a lot of tourism but in out of the way restaurants where i went and i was the only non Chinese there i was just served the basic bowl of white rice.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good to hear,if you ever want the real recipe of Spanish Alioli let me know,would be happy to post it and walk you thru it.
If your method is anything like what I have seen a couple chefs do on Food Network, I'll need to get a mortar and pestle. I would actually be interested in the recipe. Anything with garlic is a good thing. I'm not sure my cooking chops are up to snuff for getting things to properly emulsify, but I'd give it a shot.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
If your method is anything like what I have seen a couple chefs do on Food Network, I'll need to get a mortar and pestle. I would actually be interested in the recipe. Anything with garlic is a good thing. I'm not sure my cooking chops are up to snuff for getting things to properly emulsify, but I'd give it a shot.

You can use one of these to make Alioli:

alioli-casero-batidora-receta-paso-a-paso-CocinaConPoco.com-009.jpg

Or even a blender,i mean it is not the traditional way but your arm will thank you for it hehe.

If done with a hand blender like the one in the photo (don't know the name for it in English) then the 2 main things is the speed in which you add the oil and then the power you using for the hand blender.
Gotta start slow then up the power little by little.
Now its past 1 am here and i am finishing up a translation due for tomorrow but i will post the proper recipe tomorrow with probably a Youtube video,even though the video is in Spanish but it will help because its mostly a visual aid.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I want that recipe. You mentioned it once before, but I didn't want to bother you for it, because if it requires an appliance I'll never make it. No blender, mixer, cuisinart or any of that here. If it can be done with a whisk then I'd like to try it.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Hup! I see in the mean time you said it requires one of those immersion blenders.
I want that recipe. You mentioned it once before, but I didn't want to bother you for it, because if it requires an appliance I'll never make it. No blender, mixer, cuisinart or any of that here. If it can be done with a whisk then I'd like to try it.

Will post the recipe tomorrow so no worries.
Gotta be honest thou never tried it with a whisk,done it with a mortar or just the hand blender from the pic.
Don't think the whisk will work thou,too spongy to actually break down the garlic so i am not sure but probably it won't work.

As @SirKadly if you got a mortar that is the traditional way to do it.
For making Alioli on the mortar you need to pour the oil slowly,very i mean VERY slowly and not directly into the mortar i mean like not in the center...let the flow of the olive oil trickle on the wall of the mortar.

For a softer Alioli you can use sunflower oil instead of olive oil,i mean it is not the traditional recipe but this is done by a lot of people.
Some just find that with olive oil it is too strong from them,depends on your palate i guess.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For those who eat mushrooms (commercially grown ones) I always urge everyone to eat only organic, yes they cost more but.....
Commercially grown mushrooms (unless organic) contain the CRISPER GENE, for those of you who are not familiar with the CRISPER GENE, in layman's terms: it's a genetic code that is breed into mushroom and can NOT be washed out.
OK my second concern is how they tell people to handle these mushrooms to clean the compost off, and most people do it not thinking of the consequences. They spray the mushrooms and the compost they are growin on with an antibiotic spray to kill the bacteria's on the compost. So now you are eatin the chemical spray, the compost crumbs, and I put that lightly one pkg I bought had over a teaspoon full of compost.

I usedta just brush off and cook/slice but kept noticin all the filth on my fingers while brushin them off. Now I get closed mushrooms and give them a bath.

The washed ones have a much more REAL mushroom taste.
Now I look for closed mushrooms if buyin button or their brother Baby Portabella and dump them right into a cleanin tub.
shiitake that are open I dip to the gills and wipe off wet.
Honestly the mushrooms taste so much better with out all the dirt

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jesus, I think Villalobos Ramirez is a movie star! When he said he would post a YouTube with his aioli recipe, I looked for him on YT.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made an iced cacao drink. I have this expensive bag of Navitas organic cacao nibs, which didn't work out as well as I'd hoped in my ongoing Jimi cookies experiments.

Navitas nibs.JPG

So I did a search for what to do with them. I already know, they're great in hot oatmeal with a pinch of cinnamon and a dab of butter, but there you're not looking for a cookie profile. I ate some of the nibs mixed into some PB2 peanut butter, also great, spread on a banana sandwich. But what else?

So I stumbled onto the idea to make a cold brew from them. No coffee, no sugar. My deficient kitchen doesn't have ice, so I used a little empty container to make some, then hacked it into pieces, but that's a ridiculous part of the process I'll skip. Most people have ice in the freezer.

So in this Turkish coffee pot I added two fistfuls of the nibs, but boiled the water in my kettle, then poured it over the nibs, filling the Turkish pot. I let it sit for an hour with the lid on, then poured the juice through this fine mesh strainer:

Strain.jpg

It made two cups. I filled half my 18 oz. coffee cup, and poured the other half into an empty jar, and set both in the fridge to chill.

Then I made my cup, which I'm enjoying now, with ice and some unsweetened almond milk. Delicious! I don't think it needs sugar, but some will want to add it. I will tell you this, on my next batch I'll use three fistfuls of nibs to make it even more luxuriously flavored.

Cacao cold brew.jpg

It isn't really a cold brew, since I used hot water to steep the nibs.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For those who eat mushrooms (commercially grown ones) I always urge everyone to eat only organic, yes they cost more but.....
Commercially grown mushrooms (unless organic) contain the CRISPER GENE, for those of you who are not familiar with the CRISPER GENE, in layman's terms: it's a genetic code that is breed into mushroom and can NOT be washed out.
OK my second concern is how they tell people to handle these mushrooms to clean the compost off, and most people do it not thinking of the consequences. They spray the mushrooms and the compost they are growin on with an antibiotic spray to kill the bacteria's on the compost. So now you are eatin the chemical spray, the compost crumbs, and I put that lightly one pkg I bought had over a teaspoon full of compost.

I usedta just brush off and cook/slice but kept noticin all the filth on my fingers while brushin them off. Now I get closed mushrooms and give them a bath.

The washed ones have a much more REAL mushroom taste.
Now I look for closed mushrooms if buyin button or their brother Baby Portabella and dump them right into a cleanin tub.
shiitake that are open I dip to the gills and wipe off wet.
Honestly the mushrooms taste so much better with out all the dirt

Ugh, the genetic mutilators got to the mushrooms too, so sad.

I agree about washing your mushrooms. The TV chefs always said it makes them soggy, but you're usually going to cook them right away anyway. But really I don't think it makes them soggy if you just wash and drain them. Also a small paring knife will peel off that thick skin on the button. I do that. The skin is bland tasting, and has imbedded impurities.

And, always agree about buying organic. Not only do I want to avoid eating those poisons, but I don't want agricultural workers having to be around those pesticides and herbicides that make them sick, sometimes make them sterile, cause them cancer and leukemia.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried something new today. Instead of maling typical mashed potatoes, I used parsnips to replace 1/2 of the potatoes. Super creamy with the addition of only a very small amount of butter, much less than would have normally been needed with potatoes.

I wasn't completely sure how using parsnips would work even though I've seen several recipe sites saying that mashed parsnips are quite good. So I did the half and half mixture just because I wasn't totally sold on the idea. But I will definitely be making 100% mashed parsnips in the future.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Should have mentioned that if like me you have never had parsnips, they have a mild flavor (more flavor than potatoes but not particularly strong, and I'd have a hard time describing the flavor) that contains a hint of what I can only describe as carroty sweetness though not as sweet as carrots. They also seemed a bit more fibrous than potatoes. But they do indeed work well as a mashed potato substitute. I just need to decide what types of herbs or seasonings might complement them before I try full fledged mashed parsnips. Parsley? Garlic? Maybe nothing more than a bit of salt and pepper?

Well, one source anyway suggests the following so I guess my thoughts were on the right track:

Spices: nutmeg, ginger, garlic, and pepper.
Herbs: parsley, sage, and thyme.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Should have mentioned that if like me you have never had parsnips, they have a mild flavor (more flavor than potatoes but not particularly strong, and I'd have a hard time describing the flavor) that contains a hint of what I can only describe as carroty sweetness though not as sweet as carrots. They also seemed a bit more fibrous than potatoes. But they do indeed work well as a mashed potato substitute. I just need to decide what types of herbs or seasonings might complement them before I try full fledged mashed parsnips. Parsley? Garlic? Maybe nothing more than a bit of salt and pepper?

Well, one source anyway suggests the following so I guess my thoughts were on the right track:

Spices: nutmeg, ginger, garlic, and pepper.
Herbs: parsley, sage, and thyme.

I like parsnips, though I hardly ever have them. Don't often see them in the stores. To me there is a surprising licorice note in the flavor.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
I know i owe you folks my recipe for Alioli but i went thru the stomach flu and today i was finally able to get a video review done.

Off to bed in a bit but will post the recipe soon :)

P.S: Sooooo hungry,barely been able to eat anything in 3 days...

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally got to use my big 5.5qt steel Cusinart pot...it's excellent.
Made a SW style Mac & Cheese. 🧀😁

P1060682.jpg

No flour used...pasta not drained either.

I cooked the pasta in chicken stock with some Johnny's seasoning salt, Mexican oregano and sweet basil.

When just about al dente, I just added half and half and butter...let that cook down a bit using the pasta's starch to thicken it. Then I added white sharp cheddar, crumbled Cotija, Mexican shredded four-cheese, and some jalapeno Velveeta....it helps to blend things.

When that was incorporated, I added chopped-up roasted franks, sweet peppers, bacon crumbles, half a minced habanero, some onion and garlic, dashes of cumin, madras curry, and NM red chile powders, and some smoked habanero powder.

Let it simmer a bit, and voila...about 10 cups of awesome. 🧀🥓😁

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally got to use my big 5.5qt steel Cusinart pot...it's excellent.
Made a SW style Mac & Cheese. , 🧀😁

View attachment 210684

No flour used...pasta not drained either.

I cooked the pasta in chicken stock with some Johnny's seasoning salt, Mexican oregano and sweet basil.

When just about al dente, I just added half and half and butter...let tgat cook down a bit using the pasta's starch to thicken it. Then I added white sharp cheddar, crumbled Cotjia, Mexican shredded four-cheese, and some jalapeno Velveeta....it helps to blend things.

When that was incorporated, I added chopped franks, sweet peppers, bacon crumbles, half a minced habanero, some onion and garlic, dashes of cumin, madras curry, and NM chill powders, and some smoked habanero powder.

Let it simmer a bit, and voila...about 10 cups of awesome. 🧀🥓😁
I'll hafta give that method a try, I've only ever done it with a corn starch based white sauce, or béchamel, though I'm not sure if it is technically correct to call it béchamel since I use corn starch instead of flour.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just a follow-up...now that it has sat in the fridge all night.
(Yes, it's overcast and foggy out so kinda dim lighting...my eyes don't like bright light much either)

This is still cold...
kH8II0Ul.jpg

And with a mish-mash of TG leftovers for watching football.
syUYFYJl.jpg

Still creamy and awesome. :D

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got a spicy football game between UW and WSU going on, so made even spicier pizza. ;)

It started off life as a simple Freschetta pepperoni pizza.

A little frenzied cooking here...game was starting at the time...

I took the pepperoni off and spiced up the bed of cheese with some WinCo bulk taco seasoning. Then fried up some Chorizo with Shallots, Fire-roasted peppers, Mexican Oregano, Ghost Pepper powder, Chipotle Meco powder, fresh ground black pepper, and a sliced fresh Serrano pepper.

38zuHeg.jpg

vkmNWfs.jpg

e5aEfS9.jpg

It's not that attractive, but it *is* smokey, cheesy, and spicy for sure...
peanut-butter-jelly-time-55.gif

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I was gonna make a sandwich of leftovers, but my bread went bad. :(

So, I made a simple wrap instead. At least my El Sol torts don't spoil. :p

20231126_095626~2.jpg

Used my Cilantro pesto, leftover rice stuff, turkey, pepper jack cheese and a good sprinkle of NM chile powder.

PS: if ya wonder what is up with the spice jar...I buy bulk packs of the spices, put in old shaker jars, then cut out the label and packing-tape it on so I know what it is. Simple.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of my dearest friends came over for dinner last night. I invited her because I found out she's in the midst of a painful divorce. She started crying when she told me about it, so I wanted to pamper her. I asked what she wanted to eat, and she said she didn't have much appetite, but hadn't had seafood in a while.

For supreme pampering I wanted lobster tails, but they were sold out at two stores, so I bought wild Argentine red shrimp. They're dinky, 30-40 per pound, but the flavor is exceptional. I made us a little surf & turf with flank steak and the shrimp. I'm showing it on my big serving platter.

Surf turf.jpg

I baked up a loaf of organic take & bake sourdough. The two little pitchers in the background were so we could each have one filled with melted butter to drizzle on the shrimp and the bread. The spring mix gave us a nominal veg element. I was wishing I'd gotten some premium kettle chips as a casual side. Instead I cooked some baby potatoes I had in the freezer (not shown). For dessert we had mango sorbet with fresh mint leaves. We washed it all down with my go-to libation, a bottle of Prosecco.

Bread.jpg

I put a bouquet of roses next to her in the living room, red for love and pain, which I sent home with her. They kept Latin American countries under the Coofid lockdown for a year longer than we took it here in the US, so many food and flower farmers lost their businesses, but still the amazingly inexpensive flowers are returning to the stores these days. The two dozen roses were only 23.00, and the fragrance filled my whole apartment. I also made her take home the leftovers.

Roses.jpg

It was all for pampering, and the opportunity to sit and talk. I wanted her to feel loved, to feel deserving of love, and to know the sun will someday rise again in her life. Calories are not the best way to comfort someone. Many of us struggle with the fustercluck of food, emotions and body image, myself included, but she doesn't, so she ate by appetite, not by emotion. Now me, I nearly had to tie myself down.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
HIya folks,still owe you an Aioli recipe hehe,busy with reviews and taking care of my pops so you know i got barely time to catch up on some reading.

Making some Baked gilt head bream today for my pops.
Sometimes when cooking and depending on the main ingredient in this case the gilt head bream less is more so this is what it looks like before going into the oven:

IMG_20231129_151845.jpg

Pretty simple,guy at the fish store opens it up for me and then once home i lay it down on my non stick oven pan,i do take a little bit of olive oil and spread it with my hand just so it can soak up some of the flavor.

Important when doing this type of fish is to put the spices first,nothing fancy just the salt,pepper and some garlic powder.
Then i squeeze one whole lemon on top,if you were to put the lemon juice first the spices would just slide away.
Then i cover it up with slices of onion (red or white but i prefer red) and slices of lemon and that's about it.
This fish has a good strong mediterranean flavor so that is why i said at the beginning that sometimes less is more.

Some may ask when the olive oil? That goes at the end,when all the slices are on top you add a dash of olive oil,it will work its way down and add a little something something to the fish.

You can also cook this fish closed up with just a straight cut in the belly,in that case you gotta go in there to rub the spices and put in the lemon/onion slices.
Another way to do it is making small cuts on the top and just wedge the slices in there,but personally i prefer to cook it open like a book.

Gotta have the right touch when cooking fish,doesn't matter if its salmon or gilt head bream or its cooked in a pan or the oven.
Timing is crucial,gotta know when to it's correctly done,2 minutes too late and it will be dry 2 minutes early and it is done but it doesn't feel right,like Uncle Roger says (from the Youtube videos) it's all about feeling hehe

Spices for example i never just pour them using the bottle with holes on the top cap,i put the spices in my hand and then apply them so i know exactly how much goes on the dish.

I also use my own homemade kitchen salt,in Spanish its ''sal de cocina'' don't know the translation for the English version.
It is not just salt,its salt among other spices which i mix together to use on different dishes,i have 3 versions of it.

One of them is for when i make stews,another one for meat and another one for tomato based dishes.
Handy to keep those in jars already mixed up and ready to go,we always used those when my pops and me ran our kitchen back in the day.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Fresh out of the oven,who wants some:

IMG_20231129_155043.jpg

Can't tell you the exact time of cooking because well you know you gotta use feeeeling hehe
(gotta watch Uncle Roger cooking videos,dude is hilarious)

Depends on the size of the fish and the ingredients,better if you cook it at 180º,i like it to take longer but to cook slowly to give time for the ingredients to mesh together.

Had to look it up to make sure but 180° Celsius is equal to 356° Fahrenheit,think Fahrenheit is what you use over in the US and Canada.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 210886

Can't tell you the exact time of cooking because well you know you gotta use feeeeling hehe

Depends on the size of the fish and the ingredients,better if you cook it at 180º,i like it to take longer but to cook slowly to give time for the ingredients to mesh together.

Had to look it up to make sure but 180° Celsius is equal to 356° Fahrenheit,think Fahrenheit is what you use over in the US and Canada.
That looks so delicious and looks like something I can have. Would you mind posting the ingredients you used?

Ok just read it on your previous post sure does look good

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
That looks so delicious and looks like something I can have. Would you mind posting the ingredients you used?

Ok just read it on your previous post sure does look good

The ingredients can be used for any other fish you want to do in the oven,best if open like a book since you can better tell when to take it out of the oven.
Basically its like with Salmon on the pan,once you put the skin part on the pan it's just a waiting game until you get to turn it around.

Same fish but 2 other recipes i have done before that turn out pretty good.

-Dorada Donostierra (Donostierra means from San Sebastian,town north of Spain)

Sear the Dorada in the pan,little bit of olive oil then put the dorada with the skin part down in the pan.
5 minutes at low temperature then take it out of the pan and then on to the oven pan.
200º C for 10 minutes in the oven and then take it out.
In those 10 minutes you have to do something very close to Aglio e olio,not the spaguetti just the part with the olive oil,garlic and cracked chilli peppers.
Cover the bottom of a pan with olive oil,enough to cover the pan,add garlic cut in thin slices and some cracked chili peppers.
Cook at low heat so the garlic doesn't burn,burnt garlic means it will taste awful,just gotta let the garlic get a nice very very very i mean VERY light brown and then cut off the fire.
Remove the Dorada from the oven and plate it,add a dash of vinegar,if you can use white wine vinegar,not much vinegar just a little bit.
After that just add the contents of the pan (olive oil,garlic,cracked chili peppers) on top of the fish and add some chopped parsley on top at the end just to give it a touch of freshness.

-Dorada a la sal

This one is pretty easy but its a classic dish from here.
List of ingredients is close to nothing,you need:

-Dorada (gilt head bream)
-2 kg of salt (coarse sault i think you call it in English,if not sure just look down below at the end,there is a pic you can see the type of salt i am talking about)
-Couple of egg yolks
-Aromatic herbs (your choice,or no herbs at all,either way it will be good)

Now keep in mind the weight of the Dorada dictate how much salt you need.
For a Dorada that weighs 1kg you need twice as much salt so you would need 2kg of salt.
If it weighs 650 grams then you need 1.3kg of salt,you get the idea.

Ok take a bowl,add the salt,add the 2 egg yolks and aromatic herbs if you want or not,herbs part is up to you.
Mix well until you get something that resembles a paste,you could do it without the egg yolk but you want this mix to fully seal the fish.

Take the oven tray and add half of the salt mix,even it out in the right size and way that you can lay the full Dorada on top and still have some more salt around it.
Then put the Dorada on top and then add the rest of the salt mix,then its time to get those hands moving.
You need to fully enclose the Dorada in the salt mix,so carefully like if you're making a sandcastle in the beach just press it lightly and try to make the shape of the fish,should look something like this:

dorada sal.jpg

Forget the lemon,serves no purpose for this recipe,this is the only good picture i could find.
Preheat oven at 200 ºC and then bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Once done the salt will be made into a crust,gotta remove that using some sort of utensil since it will be hardened.

That's about it,you can add a dash of olive oil on top once you removed all the salt but that is just optional,depends on your personal taste.
Also remember to remove the skin,the Dorada you put in the oven is the whole thing,head and all.
Only thing is that it's cleaned and gutted but otherwise it is all there.

Video here on how to clean the Dorada just for this recipe,your usual way of cleaning of fish doesn't work with this recipe.

If you ever do any of these recipes i expect a pic to see how it turned out hehe

cheers

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The ingredients can be used for any other fish you want to do in the oven,best if open like a book since you can better tell when to take it out of the oven.
Basically its like with Salmon on the pan,once you put the skin part on the pan it's just a waiting game until you get to turn it around.

Same fish but 2 other recipes i have done before that turn out pretty good.

-Dorada Donostierra (Donostierra means from San Sebastian,town north of Spain)

Sear the Dorada in the pan,little bit of olive oil then put the dorada with the skin part down in the pan.
5 minutes at low temperature then take it out of the pan and then on to the oven pan.
200º C for 10 minutes in the oven and then take it out.
In those 10 minutes you have to do something very close to Aglio e olio,not the spaguetti just the part with the olive oil,garlic and cracked chilli peppers.
Cover the bottom of a pan with olive oil,enough to cover the pan,add garlic cut in thin slices and some cracked chili peppers.
Cook at low heat so the garlic doesn't burn,burnt garlic means it will taste awful,just gotta let the garlic get a nice very very very i mean VERY light brown and then cut off the fire.
Remove the Dorada from the oven and plate it,add a dash of vinegar,if you can use white wine vinegar,not much vinegar just a little bit.
After that just add the contents of the pan (olive oil,garlic,cracked chili peppers) on top of the fish and add some chopped parsley on top at the end just to give it a touch of freshness.

-Dorada a la sal

This one is pretty easy but its a classic dish from here.
List of ingredients is close to nothing,you need:

-Dorada (gilt head bream)
-2 kg of salt (coarse sault i think you call it in English,if not sure just look down below at the end,there is a pic you can see the type of salt i am talking about)
-Couple of egg yolks
-Aromatic herbs (your choice,or no herbs at all,either way it will be good)

Now keep in mind the weight of the Dorada dictate how much salt you need.
For a Dorada that weighs 1kg you need twice as much salt so you would need 2kg of salt.
If it weighs 650 grams then you need 1.3kg of salt,you get the idea.

Ok take a bowl,add the salt,add the 2 egg yolks and aromatic herbs if you want or not,herbs part is up to you.
Mix well until you get something that resembles a paste,you could do it without the egg yolk but you want this mix to fully seal the fish.

Take the oven tray and add half of the salt mix,even it out in the right size and way that you can lay the full Dorada on top and still have some more salt around it.
Then put the Dorada on top and then add the rest of the salt mix,then its time to get those hands moving.
You need to fully enclose the Dorada in the salt mix,so carefully like if you're making a sandcastle in the beach just press it lightly and try to make the shape of the fish,should look something like this:

View attachment 210891

Forget the lemon,serves no purpose for this recipe,this is the only good picture i could find.
Preheat oven at 200 ºC and then bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Once done the salt will be made into a crust,gotta remove that using some sort of utensil since it will be hardened.

That's about it,you can add a dash of olive oil on top once you removed all the salt but that is just optional,depends on your personal taste.
Also remember to remove the skin,the Dorada you put in the oven is the whole thing,head and all.
Only thing is that it's cleaned and gutted but otherwise it is all there.

Video here on how to clean the Dorada just for this recipe,your usual way of cleaning of fish doesn't work with this recipe.

If you ever do any of these recipes i expect a pic to see how it turned out hehe

cheers
OMG thank you very much my friend, I catch a lot of local fish and can't wait to try one of these wonderful recipes.
We catch brim here but they are small fresh water fish but so tasty
How salty does the Dorada a la sal come out when finished?

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
OMG thank you very much my friend, I catch a lot of local fish and can't wait to try one of these wonderful recipes.
We catch brim here but they are small fresh water fish but so tasty
How salty does the Dorada a la sal come out when finished?

No worries,got a ton of recipes with fish so you let me know what you can catch and i will look up in my files and see what i got.
Most i know from memory but sometimes i double check to make sure hehe.

Thing is that if you follow the video the salt doesn't really get into the fish,gotta follow the cleaning process exactly but hey if you catch fish you probably a pro at handling a cutting knife and can clean fish with your eyes closed.

About the saltiness it has just the right amount,no worries it wont be overbearing.
When it comes to aromatic spices i am partial to Dill,gives it a nice touch other than that feel free to experiment.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok I catch Walleye, crappie, bluegills aka brim, and large mouth bass if that's any help.

Yes I have had a lot of experience with a sharp knife.

Cool can't wait to try it, I have to cut down on salt.

Thank you again my friend

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 210886

Ok I dug through my freezer and all I have on hand is walleye filets, do you think this would work for this recipe? I was thinking Christmas dinner

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I finally got around to making my own single serve coffee bags using DIY empty tea bags and organic ground coffee. Simply wonderful, and it feels good to kick the non-organic Folgers singles out of my diet.

This works, and if you are very careful filling each little bag (one super heaping tablespoon coffee), you don't end up with any grounds at the bottom of the cup. My test cases were one cup yesterday, and one today. I let it steep about 3 minutes. It stays hot during that time because the bag floats to the top and serves as kind of a lid.

I made up a few of them last night, still have tons of coffee left.

Coffee DIY.jpg

I use a big mug that holds two cups of coffee, so the size teabags I bought were 3.94" x 3.15", or 10cm x 8cm, which is a common size offered, but if you use a normal size 8 oz. cup you can get smaller teabags, also commonly offered, and they'll be cheaper. The important thing is the bag is roomy enough for the poured hot water to really circulate and bring out the coffee goodness. The bags I got were 12.00 for a thousand of them, unbleached cotton, biodegradable, compostable. The coffee was 9.00 for the 12 oz. bag already roasted and ground.

Based on the price of the organic coffee and the empty bags, how many servings I've made so far, how much coffee is still left, I would estimate the cost at about 25 cents per normal size cup, or about 50 cents per serving in the double size mug I use. I hope I'm calculating right, adding a few cents for the empty teabag needed for each serving.

My next intention is to find a sealed cannister to store the ones I pre-make, to get the plastic container out of the equation. Maybe a used pretty brand jar like this Gevalia, which has a rubber seal inside the top:

Gevalia cannister.JPG

Or a sturdy sensible clamp jar, also with a seal inside:

Clamp jar.JPG

Unless I already have something around here I can use.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I finally got around to making my own single serve coffee bags using DIY empty tea bags and organic ground coffee. Simply wonderful, and it feels good to kick the non-organic Folgers singles out of my diet.

This works, and if you are very careful filling each little bag (one super heaping tablespoon coffee), you don't end up with any grounds at the bottom of the cup. My test cases were one cup yesterday, and one today.

I made up a few of them last night, still have tons of coffee left.

View attachment 211190

I use a big mug that holds two cups of coffee, so the size teabags I bought were 3.94" x 3.15", or 10cm x 8cm, which is a common size offered, but if you use a normal size 8 oz. cup you can get smaller teabags, also commonly offered, and they'll be cheaper. The important thing is the bag is roomy enough for the poured hot water to really circulate and bring out the coffee goodness. The bags I got were 12.00 for a thousand of them, unbleached cotton, biodegradable, compostable. The coffee was 9.00 for the 12 oz. bag already roasted and ground.

Based on the price of the organic coffee and the empty bags, how many servings I've made so far, how much coffee is still left, I would estimate the cost at about 25 cents per normal size cup, or about 50 cents per serving in the double size mug I use. I hope I'm calculating right, adding a few cents for the empty teabag needed for each serving.

My next intention is to find a sealed cannister to store the ones I pre-make, to get the plastic container out of the equation. Maybe a used pretty brand jar like this Gevalia, which has a rubber seal inside the top:

View attachment 211193

Or a sturdy sensible clamp jar, also with a seal inside:

View attachment 211192

Unless I already have something around here I can use.
I may have to give this a try. What brand are the teabags?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I may have to give this a try. What brand are the teabags?

I looked at my purchase history, and they may have sold out because I can't find a current offer.

It doesn't matter. There are dozens of them on Amazon. Also I have emailed an Ebay seller who has organic paper ones, to find out how many are in the package offered because the listing doesn't say. It says they are "infrared" sanitized. I have been reading that the paper ones are more healthful than the cotton ones, though I can't quite figure out why. Maybe flotsam coming off the cotton? Or they're not made from organic cotton? I don't know, but I'm trying to get down to precision for something I consume every day of my life.

At 12.00 for a thousand of them, for my big cup (16 oz) servings it comes down to one twelfth of one cent per use. With that in mind, here are some others, and remember, if you use them for the normal 8 oz. cup you'll get a smaller size bag.

As I mentioned, the ones I got are 3.94" x 3.15". These are 3.7 x 3.3, so a little shorter but a little wider, so these will work too (for the giant cup):

These are 2.76" x 1.97", so possibly the size needed for a normal 8 oz. cup:

And there are other sizes too.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I looked at my purchase history, and they may have sold out because I can't find a current offer.

It doesn't matter. There are dozens of them on Amazon. Also I have emailed an Ebay seller who has organic paper ones, to find out how many are in the package offered because the listing doesn't say. It says they are "infrared" sanitized. I have been reading that the paper ones are more healthful than the cotton ones, though I can't quite figure out why. Maybe flotsam coming off the cotton? Or they're not made from organic cotton? I don't know, but I'm trying to get down to precision for something I consume every day of my life.

At 12.00 for a thousand of them, for my big cup (16 oz) servings it comes down to one twelfth of one cent per use. With that in mind, here are some others, and remember, if you use them for the normal 8 oz. cup you'll get a smaller size bag.

As I mentioned, the ones I got are 3.94" x 3.15". These are 3.7 x 3.3, so a little shorter but a little wider, so these will work too (for the giant cup):

These are 2.76" x 1.97", so possibly the size needed for a normal 8 oz. cup:

And there are other sizes too.
Thanks. Yeah I saw there were numerous paper ones available, I don't know honestly if there is a drawback to cotton vs paper. I will investigate it and see what I can find regarding potential health issues of either. I'll probably try the paper ones though.

VU Sponsors