Become a Patron!

What brands are worth while?

Loki

Member For 2 Years
So i am new to vaping but dont know what brands would be worth while to get. I am not saying what brand would be equal to a Ferrari, just want to avoid brands that have questionable quality. So what brands would be worth while and would last? I only have experience with 2 smok stick products and would like to branch out.

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
Avoid brands that want to sell you a cheap kit that uses expensive coils.

I got a Vaporesso Tarot Nano kit that has held up well. If you shop around, you can usually find the EUCs (coil type) in a pack of 5 in the $8 - $12 range.

457230A6-7D81-480C-938C-AF25D8AED41F.jpeg

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The Tarot Mini is a single external 18650 and the Revenger X is dual. Some mods will have overhang with a 25mm atty.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Best Ive tried so far is Segelei KAOS Spectrum. If water had not gotten inside during a heavy rain, I would still be using it. Waiting on a new one now. Not only worth buying, its worth buying again. You get what you pay for. If you want cheap, you buy cheap and you get cheap. Paying a little more for quality is cheaper in the long run than paying less over and over and over again.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Best Ive tried so far is Segelei KAOS Spectrum. If water had not gotten inside during a heavy rain, I would still be using it. Waiting on a new one now. Not only worth buying, its worth buying again. You get what you pay for. If you want cheap, you buy cheap and you get cheap. Paying a little more for quality is cheaper in the long run than paying less over and over and over again.
Has Sigelei figured out temperature control yet, or is it still a work in progress?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Has Sigelei figured out temperature control yet, or is it still a work in progress?
Mine went up to 300 deg. I never did like TC though, since I rarely use builds with a TC compatible core. (SS, Ti, Ni). The resistance is far to low for the coils I build.As far as premade coils go, I don't trust TC. Had a coil smoke out on first hit once in TC mode. Been using VW ever since. Set to the sweet spot and leave it alone.

Loki

Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the responses.

I was hoping to get a compilation of overall brands themselves.

So is there a list, like a sticky, on here that i may be able to view that has a list of worth while brands?
Cause it would be nice to know if i am in a brick-and-mortar shop and there is a sale going on on a particular brand and it's a good deal for any product... be it a mod, pen, tanks or rebuildable if it is worth getting or if there is a reason that the product such as it has bad wiring or is known to leak.

There is a vape shop near where i work and it appears from pictures that they put older stock on clearance to make room, i would like to know if i see a good deal on something of it should be treated like it will give me the plague.

I am sure that people on here have heard of brands where there are issues and other brands that users cant stop talking about how good or how much that they like?

Oh and thanks again for those that have responded.

Mainevape

Member For 1 Year
So i am new to vaping but dont know what brands would be worth while to get. I am not saying what brand would be equal to a Ferrari, just want to avoid brands that have questionable quality. So what brands would be worth while and would last? I only have experience with 2 smok stick products and would like to branch out.
Look at the voopoo drag great mod. This is becoming a very popular mod at a reasonable price.

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Vaporesso Revenger X, which has been working out well for me
I hear good things around the Wismec devices from people who review them.

Mainevape

Member For 1 Year
Look at the voopoo drag great mod. This is becoming a very popular mod at a reasonable price.
I know all these mods with the pretty lights and screens are cool but not so cool when you drop it. I like the drags old style look and feel everything you need is very easy to read and navigate. We all have cell phones with pretty screens to break and scratch that's just my opinion. The only mod I have and don't use is the one with the pretty display.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like every brand has a few duds. For instance, I have a few IPV's that are older but excellent mods; the newer stuff not so great. You need to pick out some mods you are interested in, come back here and we can tell you why they suck :)

Just try and avoid smok mods.

Mainevape

Member For 1 Year
Seems like every brand has a few duds. For instance, I have a few IPV's that are older but excellent mods; the newer stuff not so great. You need to pick out some mods you are interested in, come back here and we can tell you why they suck :)

Just try and avoid smok mods.
The only smok I would say is pretty good is the osub king but the coils just straight up suck.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Seems like every brand has a few duds. You need to pick out some mods you are interested in, come back here and we can tell you why they suck :) Just try and avoid smok mods.
+1 for this ^ .
It's too subjective for brand alone. Just go off what you like the looks of along with it's features, then investigate. Make a list then narrow it down.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
The answer is none in my opinion. Just like everything in life, depending on how often you use something, how you treat it does play a role. That doesn't mean a person using something once in a while will have a better experience or wear as well as lifetime on a product, than the next person, that might use it in a complete different way or environment.

My grandparents are going by that myth too tho, and its understandable, everyone is looking or wants something that lasts the next 100 years and survives/outlives a natural disaster. Sadly, while that might have been the truth back in 1950 and products built to last, nowadays and especially when manufactured or designed in China, the life span of products have been extremely decreased. Now I'm not hating on China or whatever country but in most cases, even here in the US, norms are different and not everything would pass quality control or standard here vs other regions and vice versa.

So with that in mind one company you should not buy anything from is smok, do as you please of course, but most of their products won't last 3 months. Sure some have better luck, but I say luck because with that company its not like others, were you could blame it on bad batch. Its more like one person out of a million receives that one special and great working device lol.

Mods that are known for lasting longer than that are, Siegelei, most if not all dna chipset devices used by different manufacturers, voopoo, GeekVape, innokin, vaporesso, vandy vape, wismec, eleaf etc. That list is long.....

Sure some might work better than others but I mean that's expected otherwise we could all just buy the same. You should ask yourself what are you looking for? Then decide what features it should have, should it be portable, do you might have a labor intensive job were the mod could fall of a roof or into water etc., do you like to use it frequently or just occasionally, regulated/unregulated, focused on specific modes aka power/temperature/bypass, one battery/two/three/four? And so on, you get the point.

I know I'm crazy but all that matters at the end, there's no rule of thumb or easy answer to these questions.

Also things one person will love, you might not, but after you answered all these questions for yourself, you can then narrow down to a few mods and do your research, as well as ask questions that might be easier answered. My thought on that, for whatever its worth lol.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Every brand has good products and bad products. A lot depends on features you need and what your expectations are, and, by the time we actually know how long a certain mod will last on average, chances will be you'll want to buy a new one that isn't hopelessly outdated anyway in the first place. Eventually all regulated mods break. Find what you like, and consider getting two identical mods just in case one breaks.

That said, personally, I, don't use any regulated mods that can't support a custom power curve. But that's only because I'd rather go back to smoking cigarettes than vape on something other than a decent RDA with an advanced coil build in it, and I am first and foremost a mech user so that is what I'll recommend... you can use something like a Wismec RX Gen3 with ArcticFox firmware installed on it, and you can use a custom power curve on that (and you can do so without having to─until you weigh an ounce─keep futzing around with all the numerous settings).

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
much like everyone above pick a bunch you like the look of and research them

Also worth researching how companies deal with problems ...I’m not talking about some shitty China warranty that’s not worth the paper it’s written on, actually acknowledging a fault and doing a recall, looking out for the vaping community with communications.

Very few do this right now and they should be doing more ...dont care if it’s a high end mod or low end every now and then a defect slips through the net.

Edit: if however a company has repeated issues over a number of products that should serve as a warning flag because either:

a) they release gear too quickly and aren’t taking care to improve the situation between products
b) they havent placed enough importance in quality, testing, or assembly assurance
c) aren’t learning from past mistakes
d) are in it for the money - products that are actually designed to have a short shelf life with consumer none the wiser

Last edited:

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another thing to consider is what you are looking to accomplish in "branching out". What do you want? Box mod, single battery or dual, what wattage range are you looking for, a 300w smelting furnace, or a compact 100w daily vape? Something lower than that? Different manufactures more or less specialize in different areas. There are those that try to specialize in everything, ala Smok. But they usually don't make anything that really stands out. So tell us what you want, we'll steer you in the right direction. As far as a comprehensive list of mod manufactures, I've never seen one.

Loki

Member For 2 Years
Well the few that i have been looking at are vaporesso specifically the revenger (standard, X, mini) and the swag and the other one that at least caught my eye was the ijoy diamond.

I was at fist was looking at internal battery mods. But i would like to get a RTA like the geekvape Zeus so i dont need to keep buying atomizers, as i figure its cheaper to make and re-wick then it is to buy atomizers every week or so. At that point i was figuring it would be in my best interest to get a mod that will allow something like the Zeus or another RTA to work to its best potential.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Well the few that i have been looking at are vaporesso specifically the revenger (standard, X, mini) and the swag and the other one that at least caught my eye was the ijoy diamond.
figuring it would be in my best interest to get a mod that will allow something like the Zeus or another RTA to work to its best potential.
Don't have first hand experience with them, but of those Revenger and X for dual battery and since I've seen members that like their Revenger or the X and not heard a lot of bad about them.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any that you've mentioned, except for the mini, will work just fine for what you're looking to do. The reason I'd stay away from the mini it is an 85w max and internal battery. Any good dual battery mod will work for you. I would also suggest checking out Wismec and Sigelei as well. The nice thing about an RTA is it allows you to build your coils to your specs. So you're on the right track. Something in the 200W or better range will let you experiment to your hearts content. So shop around. If you have questions come back and ask. The folks here are happy to help.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I see mostly good about all of the Asmodus devices, Aspire Speeder, and
Smoant Cylon.

As for Wismec, the Ravage supposedly fixes the 510 pin issues with their earlier mods. Espion is similar.

Also depends if temp control performance is important, if you want features like power curves, whether you prefer a firing button or bar, form factor, touch screen vs non, etc.

If its too much information and just need a good overall mod as a starting point, I would lean towards the Smoant Cylon.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As for Wismec, the Ravage supposedly fixes the 510 pin issues with their earlier mods. Espion is similar.
A lot of those issues are simply bad luck or just hearsay and or trash talk coming from people who don't even own, or have ever owned, the mod in question. In addition, Wismec is a highly popular brand so it is only normal the fact there have been more complaints about it than there have been about less popular brands because the more people buy the product, the more people have bad luck with the product, and, some certain reviewers go as far as to trash talk about Wismec because they [these reviewers] are being rewarded for that in one financial way or another, which they, for reasons that are obvious, are never going to admit─as it is just so much easier for them to let themselves be defended by part of their own audience in exchange for free giveaways.

PJReid

Member For 4 Years

I am not of those people who pan SMOK products but will say that many of their mods have QC issues. You ask an impossible to answer question, really. I am all for people getting off analogs and getting healthier so whatever works for an individual is perfect. If you are new to vaping, you don't know what suits your vaping style. There is going to be some trial and error before you find perfect. Prices for gear are definitely less expensive online than in B&M shops, but again, I am all for supporting local shops when possible.

One of the best deals out there right now, at many online vendors, is the Lost Vape Therion 75c. It isn't my personal favorite mod, but I do enjoy it and the quality cannot be beaten. Asmodus mods are great quality and deals can be found on the Minikin V2 if you look for them.

The same is true of atomizers. Don't lock yourself into the Zeus. You might like a bottom AF tank more and you can't know until you try. For a single coil tank, take a look at OBS Crius II, the Asmodus Zesthia (the best single coil tank that no one is talking about,) the Kylin Mini, and the OBS Engine Nano.

There’s obviously a lot of good vape brands out there that’s worth a try. I’ve tried using items from SMOK, Horizon Tech and Aspire, which I recently bought from this vape shop, and they’re all pretty great. And as far as I can remember, I had no problems in using each one of them. I highly recommend that you check out these brands. If you want to find more options, you can always search online or visit physical shops if you have the time. Good luck!

VU Sponsors