Become a Patron!

What can go wrong while building a coil? Explanation needed for a newbie...

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, I've got a question for yall. First a little back story though..

I regularly buy spools of AVS wire, with (28x2)40 being my favorite cause I could put it in everything and it kept the resistance high enough despite it being SS. So a few months ago I bought a new spool and the performance was completely different. Flavor sucked, one coil always seemed to glow faster than the other, hot spots difficult to work out, none of my mods would work in TC mode (protection would kick in after less than a sec, even at like 580*, and even with spaced coils), and the coils never had the sizzle I had gotten accustomed to with the previous spools.

I asked AVS if there could have been a problem with this batch of wire, since I knew it was a new batch of that size. They brushed it off and said everything was the exact same and it must be some other factor like cotton. So I convinced myself that I've been suffering from the longest case of vape tongue in the world over the past few months and wrote it off to that lol

So a few days ago I got some (30x3)38 and it performs nearly identical to my original batches of the other wire. I can finally taste my liquid again!

So what could have been wrong with that batch of wire? I don't know enough about the building process to understand the signs of a problem.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hmmm...if the hotspots were hard to get out, maybe you ended up heating them too much and overoxidizing them? That could affect all the things you mentioned (taste, TC, sizzle)

Did you get any new atomizers around that time? Change anything about how you built?

Could have been a mix up at AVS, or even where they get their wire from- mistakes can happen anywhere

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've always been pretty careful when working out the hotspots on my coils, usually start around 15w and work my way up 25w to finish everything off.

I didn't get any new atomizers or mods around that time, they were all the same. However, all my building supplies were new since my old gear had been stolen (the reason I needed new wire to begin with). So new cotton, coiling tool, etc. That's why I was so willing to accept their explanation in the beginning. But after months of the same performance and multiple new builds, something just seems off about it. I wasn't sure if some step in the wire-making process could be to blame so I came here for a lesson lol. But it sounds like nothing beyond a mix up in the wire itself could be to blame?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've always been pretty careful when working out the hotspots on my coils, usually start around 15w and work my way up 25w to finish everything off.

I didn't get any new atomizers or mods around that time, they were all the same. However, all my building supplies were new since my old gear had been stolen (the reason I needed new wire to begin with). So new cotton, coiling tool, etc. That's why I was so willing to accept their explanation in the beginning. But after months of the same performance and multiple new builds, something just seems off about it. I wasn't sure if some step in the wire-making process could be to blame so I came here for a lesson lol. But it sounds like nothing beyond a mix up in the wire itself could be to blame?

Yeah, to me sounds like a different quality of wire, perhaps even different grade. AVS may label everything correctly, but they can't gaurantee that their supplier never makes mistakes, ya know? I know for sure stainless steel can come in different forms - even the same grade, can be annealed and soft or hard as a rock, and there are ranges of compositions that can still be called "SS 316L" or what have you

Could even be as simple as them getting 316 instead of 316L

Last edited:

VU Sponsors