Become a Patron!

What do i need for my first RTA?

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi everyone. On the advice of a very helpful member here I'm going to get an Amitt 25. I was wondering though what accessories do i need or would I want to get going. I was given a recimondation on coils and cotton but I have no idea as to size of coils gauge and such to get Los any tools I need. Maybe a link to a good source. I don't ask for much right? Lol. Thanks guys.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@advancedvapesupply is a great source. Go check out their site they have lots info on the different wires. Might be easier to buy premade coils for now instead of wire, then you’ll need something like this;

https://www.coil-master.net/product/coil-master-diy-kit-v3

It will include all the tools you need to coil. Plus you need a wicking material. Most use organic Japanese cotton pads. I use rayon so perhaps cotton users can advise as to which brand is best.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks man! I will look at that soon as I can I should have mentioned I was told I should get some claptons and fused claptons?
The link I gave you is for Claptons, take a look on their site, they have fused Claptons. They have quality wire. The link is for Stainless Steel Claptons but they should have Kanthal too. I don’t know what material you want. Most peeps like Stainless Steel & if you space them you can use it for temperature control vaping too.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The link I gave you is for Claptons, take a look on their site, they have fused Claptons. They have quality wire. The link is for Stainless Steel Claptons but they should have Kanthal too. I don’t know what material you want. Most peeps like Stainless Steel & if you space them you can use it for temperature control vaping too.
Ok Thank you I'm not sure on what type I do know I have used both in pre made coils before. Not sure on the diff between fused or not fused either. I will look though when I get to my computer in a little bit.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Premade are decent for first starting out but here's what I recommend
  • Get familiar with www.steam-engine.org
  • Buy a basic build kit from either UD or Coilmaster
  • Watch some YouTubes on how to build and wick, there's a ton of them out there
  • Ask questions here that you may have after watching and trying your hand at it. Just remember to have pictures and details when asking questions
That should get you started, it's not hard and actually it's pretty damn easy for you just need a bit of practice. Thing about building your own it gives you much, much more freedom to tailor your builds to your own devices and tastes.

Additionally don't skimp on quality wire, the Chinese crapwire is shit most all the time. The best quality wire I've found is Kidney Puncher and a small 30ft spool goes for well under $5. Perspective check, 30ft of wire will give you more than enough for well over a year. Here are the wire that I recommend that are real Sandvik (best you can get).
  • Kidney Puncher
  • Atomizer Wick
  • Temco

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Premade are decent for first starting out but here's what I recommend
  • Get familiar with www.steam-engine.org
  • Buy a basic build kit from either UD or Coilmaster
  • Watch some YouTubes on how to build and wick, there's a ton of them out there
  • Ask questions here that you may have after watching and trying your hand at it. Just remember to have pictures and details when asking questions
That should get you started, it's not hard and actually it's pretty damn easy for you just need a bit of practice. Thing about building your own it gives you much, much more freedom to tailor your builds to your own devices and tastes.

Additionally don't skimp on quality wire, the Chinese crapwire is shit most all the time. The best quality wire I've found is Kidney Puncher and a small 30ft spool goes for well under $5. Perspective check, 30ft of wire will give you more than enough for well over a year. Here are the wire that I recommend that are real Sandvik (best you can get).
  • Kidney Puncher
  • Atomizer Wick
  • Temco
OK cool yeah I don't want junk wire. Looking at the gauge sizes and number of wraps right now I think I want to be around .5 that seems to be a good flavor area on pre maid coils anyway. Not sure if that carries over.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I've used these https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...ad-core-fused-clapton-coils-316l-ss-30x4g-40g
and they have the same one as 3 core. Very good coils. When choosing wraps/ohms, keep in mind you'll need to add or subtract 1/2 a wrap for the Ammit's deck. and those coil legs are long enough to add if that's what you do. Dry firing ss is a little different from some other wires.

I use Cotton Bacon V2. Very popular for cotton and works really well.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK cool yeah I don't want junk wire. Looking at the gauge sizes and number of wraps right now I think I want to be around .5 that seems to be a good flavor area on pre maid coils anyway. Not sure if that carries over.
If you buy premade coils remember you can alway add or remove a wrap or two. This though you need to get familiar with www.steam-engine.org which is pretty much a must. This is an easy ohms calculator, you just need to get used to it.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
So say I need 5 wraps does that mean I need a 7 wrap coil because I'm using 2 to be able to mount it?
No. if you get a build that's say, .4ish, , and add a partial wrap for your Ammit deck, it will be a little higher than .4, but not much.
Your just using part of 1 leg to add enough of a wrap so that both legs point in the right direction.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No. if you get a build that's say, .4ish, , and add a partial wrap for your Ammit deck, it will be a little higher than .4, but not much.
Your just using part of 1 leg to add enough of a wrap so that both legs point in the right direction.
OK cool. I will get a coil master kit with all the tools and a meter that seems like the best idea.

rxmilitia

Member For 4 Years
Make sure to use their avs code for a discount. Bought a ten pack shipped for under $10. It’s hard to find higher ohm prebuilt coils locally (needed .7 or higher, Bought their .79 rated ones)

And the wire I bought to make my own requires 8+ wraps to get anywhere near that lol

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Make sure to use their avs code for a discount. Bought a ten pack shipped for under $10. It’s hard to find higher ohm prebuilt coils locally (needed .7 or higher, Bought their .79 rated ones)

And the wire I bought to make my own requires 8+ wraps to get anywhere near that lol
Oh thanks for that I'll take all the savings I can get.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all been said but here's my 2cent..

I would buy a bunch of different premade coils or builds....... I would use them and decide which I like best.... I would then use steam-engine.org to reverse engineer the coils...... I would then buy wire to build my own versions of those premade coils.

This is how I learned to build.... 5 years ago..... using Kanger Protank and aspire nautilus and a MECH.

I have yet to buy a Coil jig kit or tool... although I have made my own rig. I did a variation of the Artistic Wire Coil Gizmo. Using a Block of 2x2 a 3mm BBQ Skewer a 2.5mm coat hanger and a some screws and nuts. I also got a good 510 meter and VOM.

Wire is cheap.... so experiment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks man but what is a 510 meter and a VOM? Sorry noob here.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all been said but here's my 2cent..

I would buy a bunch of different premade coils or builds....... I would use them and decide which I like best.... I would then use steam-engine.org to reverse engineer the coils...... I would then buy wire to build my own versions of those premade coils.

This is how I learned to build.... 5 years ago..... using Kanger Protank and aspire nautilus and a MECH.

I have yet to buy a Coil jig kit or tool... although I have made my own rig. I did a variation of the Artistic Wire Coil Gizmo. Using a Block of 2x2 a 3mm BBQ Skewer a 2.5mm coat hanger and a some screws and nuts. I also got a good 510 meter and VOM.

Wire is cheap.... so experiment.

I would suggest this as well and started building pretty much the same way. I started building simple single wire coils and bought different premade coils in different sizes and builds to find ones I liked.

It may be your first RTA or rebuildable, but it won't be your last. You may find that you like different builds in different tanks or for different vaping moods, single/dual coil, mtl/dtl etc. I vape differently throughout the day or from day to day. I may vape MTL on a single coil 1 ohm build then later in the day vape DTL on a dual coil 0.15ohm build. Buying an assortment of premade coils help finding what you like and give you an example to follow as your building skills improve.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A 510 meter is a device for measuring voltage by screwing it inline into your 510 connection. Some will read resistance as well. A VOM is a volt/ohm meter.
Ok like a multi meter. I have one of those. But I like the idea of screwing the tank into the meter.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would suggest this as well and started building pretty much the same way. I started building simple single wire coils and bought different premade coils in different sizes and builds to find ones I liked.

It may be your first RTA or rebuildable, but it won't be your last. You may find that you like different builds in different tanks or for different vaping moods, single/dual coil, mtl/dtl etc. I vape differently throughout the day or from day to day. I may vape MTL on a single coil 1 ohm build then later in the day vape DTL on a dual coil 0.15ohm build. Buying an assortment of premade coils help finding what you like and give you an example to follow as your building skills improve.
That makes sense. What I'm wondering is could I possible get coils that won' be usable by mistake?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok like a multi meter. I have one of those. But I like the idea of screwing the tank into the meter.
Most common Multi meters are NOT sensitive enough for reading resistance..... those start at around $100.....
That's why I got a Dedicated 510 ohm reader...... I use the 510 meter for resistance work and the VOM multimeter for everything else electricity on the mod. The 519 meter also makes for a good holder for the atty when building.

Imo both tools are minimum required for ALL vapers. Wether you build coils or buy coilheads. Even if you mod is regulated and has a built in Meter.....

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That makes sense. What I'm wondering is could I possible get coils that won' be usable by mistake?
Yes.... but then that's part of the learning curve. Your trying to find out what works or not... electrically vape production wise and what is more satisfying or not.

An excellently functional build can give a crappy vape.....

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes.... but then that's part of the learning curve. Your trying to find out what works or not... electrically vape production wise and what is more satisfying or not.

An excellently functional build can give a crappy vape.....

I get that and I'm not opposed to trail and error as long as I'm not starting any fires. Thanks to everyone for the advise. I'm going to have to keep reading up on this for sure.

Roadtrip635

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just make sure and study up a bit, ohm's law, practice safe battery safety and some common sense. Premade coils will list their ohm rating, so you could start with some different premade builds in the general ohm rating you have been vaping with, then expand from there. I would recommend to only use regulated mods, at least until you're more experienced, as they have more safety features built in.

I would say pick up a couple different premade coils and add a small spool of 24ga and 26 ga. single wire. Start off simple, just some easy single wire coils, it's ridiculously easy and you'll get mad at yourself for not trying it sooner. You can move up and get a spool of clapton or something else, you don't have to start spinning your own wires until you're ready. Build some simple coils and see how much further you want to take it.

I started with a spool of 26ga kanthal and a 2.5mm diameter screwdriver to wrap the coils around and a small wire cutter. I started rebuilding the RBA section of my Kanger Subtank and making my first simple coil took away most of the worry about building.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just make sure and study up a bit, ohm's law, practice safe battery safety and some common sense. Premade coils will list their ohm rating, so you could start with some different premade builds in the general ohm rating you have been vaping with, then expand from there. I would recommend to only use regulated mods, at least until you're more experienced, as they have more safety features built in.

I would say pick up a couple different premade coils and add a small spool of 24ga and 26 ga. single wire. Start off simple, just some easy single wire coils, it's ridiculously easy and you'll get mad at yourself for not trying it sooner. You can move up and get a spool of clapton or something else, you don't have to start spinning your own wires until you're ready. Build some simple coils and see how much further you want to take it.

I started with a spool of 26ga kanthal and a 2.5mm diameter screwdriver to wrap the coils around and a small wire cutter. I started rebuilding the RBA section of my Kanger Subtank and making my first simple coil took away most of the worry about building.
Good advice I think I would stick with pre made at least for a while. Also I am using an Alien 220 so it should read the ohm's I'm thinking.

jworm49

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will thanks. Think I'll watch some build videos see what others are using.

Obsidian...

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If this is your first time messing with an RDA/RTA you should definitely learn how to tune a coil. Knowing that a dual coil setup will cut the resistance of the same coil (by itself) in half is also something to keep in mind. So if you're buying premade coils remember that.

I agree with the person who said start with simple coils as well. Learn on a single round wire wrap and then move from there. You'll learn how extra wraps effect resistance, how to tune and a lot of other things much better and faster.

Besides that just make sure you pay attention to the location of the OD of the coil to the chimney as well.

*As long as you are building on a Regulated Device you should be fairly safe but don't take stupid risks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VU Sponsors