Become a Patron!

What gear got you off cigarettes for good?

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was a 20 year smoker, 40-50 cigs a day, full flavor 100s and non-filters.

For me, it was a combination of:

-eGo w/ CE4 clearo
-eGo VV w/ Aspire CE5 and ET-S BVC clearos
-18mg 50PG/50VG juices (I could never take 24mg).

Cigalikes never did it for me.

I have since moved to regulated box mods and lung hitting clearos and RTAs but I still actually use Innokin VV4 15W batteries when I want a lighter vape.

Anyhow, I would love to hear from the rest of you on what gear made you successful at making the switch without looking back.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
36-48mg juice.
Smok carto things.
Snus quitting that was more of a bitch than smoking.
Snuff
and a varible power battery.

Sorry I enjoyed smoking, did not enjoy the added bull the fire chiefs pushed for. Every smoker even RYO gets to take an enjoyable lung full of carpet glue.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For me, it was a combination of

-eGo w/ CE4 clearo
-eGo VV w/ Aspire CE5 and ET-S BVC clearos
-50PG/50VG juices

Cigalikes never did it for me.

I have since moved to regulated box mods and lung hitting clearos and RTAs but I still actually use Innokin VV4 15W batteries when I want a lighter vape.

Anyhow, I would love to hear from the rest of you on what gear made you successful at making the switch without looking back.

I stick 20w and nautilus mini.

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2 packs Marlboro reds a day for 21 years , tried the cig-a-likes then got a Evod and a ego batt , couldn't kick it . Ended up with a carbon spinner and a couple iclear 30s tanks , that got me stopped , then on to eleafs and quite a few subtanks .......now I am 11 months clear and steadily feeding my new vape addiction !

On a side note , down to 3 MG of nic and expect to drop to 0mg in the next 6 months . All of that plus I had a cervical fusión on 3 of my vertebrae and went from 32o lbs to 240 in the same 11 months ...4 surgeries for a 6.5 mm kidney boulder and let's say 2015 was not my year . But I finally quit smoking and hopefully I will put down the vape one day also...........Just not today !!

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was a 3-4 pack a day for almost 22 years i started smoking 2 packs a day at 8 yes 8 ive tried every method to quit smoking but nothing worked then i got a ego x6 which didnt work either but gave me a intro to some of the flavors about a month later i got a hades with a big dripper atty the addy didnt stay in circulation for long but i havent had a cig since that was 10 months ago

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started on cigalikes from V4L and Smokeless Image. That was a dabbling phase for me. I hadn't made the decision to quit yet. I had thought there was something to the vaping thing, but I didn't see it as an option until I decided to see what else was out there.

What sold me was a Kanger T3 on standard ego batteries (and later, spinners.) I vaped 12mg-18mg DIY menthol and unflavored mostly, but the first juices I tried that really did it for me were Blueberry Niquid and Grumpy Bear by MBV.

I was an avid fan of the T3 back in the day. People complained about leaking, but I still think they were the best-designed clearos on the market when they came out. The heads just weren't made well. I used to rebuild them and wick them up with strands of cheesecloth. I didn't do it because I liked to, though. I was dead broke, so something that could give me my nic fix for pennies was very appealing. I learned what I had to in order to get an inexpensive and satisfying vape with what I already had.

I was making a lot of other changes in my life at the time - it was a period of immense personal growth, but a lot of the reason I followed through with vaping had to do with financial necessity. I had almost no income for months. I couldn't afford to flip-flop.

And that was fine for a long time. I succeeded in quitting on that setup. I introduced the first of what would be several smokers turned vapers to the habit using that setup.

I wasn't a vaper back then, though. I was just trying to quit smoking. The reality that I was going to be doing this as a hobby didn't set in until I got Sigelei Zmax and an Aspire Nautilus. That was when I knew that I had to learn everything I could and start trying more gear and flavors.

Last edited:

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Snus kicked my cigarette habit. Then I couldn't buy online. An eGo at 36 mg kicked the snus habit. Damn, that was 6 years ago Lol
I do snus occasionally. I just love the flavor from a fine Swedish snus pouch. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
eGo 900mAh and a protank 2 and the right flavor, which took a month to find.

xpmtterrx

Member For 4 Years
Tried several times earlier last year with vape pens and some lower wattage box mods. Failed miserably until I spent about 30 days of research of which I found the sigelei 150 TV mod with herk sense tank. Have since upgraded to the TFv4 tank which I highly recommend. Haven't even thought of touching a cig even when out drinking.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
IStick 20 with a Protank 2 and Fogger v4 was my ticket to kick the stinkies.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Igo-w on a nemesis clone is what got me to put down the stink sticks

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

MorpheusPA

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Strangely, ye olde cigalike got me to cut my smoking 90%. Which made me pretty happy at the time.

The eGo with a Kanger T3 atop it finally got the last 10% gone. While I now use a box mod, I still favor the Kanger T3s.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
DSE901, Fluval Blue foam for the cartridges, 36 Mg/Ml 555 Tobacco ejuice.

nauti and nice

Member For 4 Years
I originally quit 5 years ago using Chantix (can I say that?) - something about debilitating nausea is quite an effective stop method. I was quit for 3 months or so, then summer rolled around and hubby was smoking his cigars, and everyone we boated with smoked. so I got a very expensive cigalike. used up the cartridges it came with, refilled on my own with flavors and fluval (no nic), then slowly started smoking again. this time around, I decided I was going to quit and bought myself a couple $10 setups - 650 mAh ego with a CE4 tank, and some tasty 12 mg juice. i decided once my pack was done i wouldn't buy another (and i haven't). then I upped the ante and bought a few VV/VW egos and some ETS tanks. now i'm alternating between an iStick 30w and a coolfire IV with a nautilus mini and am down to 3 mg. analogs aren't even in the same league as my ADV.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I never even meant to quit, I just walked into an lvs one day trying to cut down a little on my 2 pack a day habit for cheap, ended up with an ego and some god awful tobacco juice. I turned around and ordered a genitank with a spinner but still smoked with it. I ended up deciding I liked vaping better and ordered an MVP pro and a subtank mini which finally got me off analogs.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Snus kicked my cigarette habit. Then I couldn't buy online. An eGo at 36 mg kicked the snus habit. Damn, that was 6 years ago Lol
I do snus occasionally. I just love the flavor from a fine Swedish snus pouch. :)
The WTNA is a altered form that is gentle from snus vs. the chew is the subtle vice.
Forget the pouches, I was los all the way.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kanger Subox mini, I tried using the pens for over a year, but there just wasn't enough there. Even with a high mg juice I still smoked. Kanger and a 6mg that I liked, and I never smoked again.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I will never go back to cigarettes. I have no desire whatsoever. Been about 2 years now. I don't even want tobacco flavored e-liquid. If I can't vape, I'll just have to quit nicotine altogether.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I will never go back to cigarettes. I have no desire whatsoever. Been about 2 years now. I don't even want tobacco flavored e-liquid. If I can't vape, I'll just have to quit nicotine altogether.
Four years damned near to the day, two slips when my cats died.
Sometimes the smell of people smoking my old brand makes me crave one but that is just in my head.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think it is really cool that there is finally a product that is very effective in helping people quit. It was the only thing that worked for me.

MrGrimR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was a little over a pack a day smoker, and I smoked since I was 15. My brother vaped for about a year before I decided to try the swtich. I actually made fun of him for vaping before that. One day he brought all of his extra stuff over and gave me volt spinner battery and some cartos. As far as juice, he had a lot of leftover stuff like we all do I am sure. Took me a week to transition from cigs to vaping, and then another week to get used to vaping 100%. Haven't looked back since. Of course now I make my own e juice, build my own coils, and have several nice pieces to show for it. Vaping literally has changed my life. That was 2 years ago.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actualy quit using 510 cigalike batteries and cartos for a few days back around 2010, but the wife didn't take to them and I went back to dual using. Quickly tired of the teabags, blue foam, wonky filling techniques, scorched wicking, bunk attys, and the marginally-tolerable Johnson Creek "smoke juice" (the cream of the crop at the time). Went back to smoking full time until I picked up a blister pack fake eGo with a Stardust-style clearo. After a few days I decided there was a lot more to this new gear, upgraded my tank to the original Evod and bought a bunch more fake eGos from Fasttech, and within a few weeks was off to the races. Second time around it was actually my wife that made the push to quit after we'd been dual using for a few weeks are were down to the last 3-4 cigs a day.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@OBDave the EVOD was hands down far and above underrated.
If only the dickwads that sold me three for $14 in a shop would've told me the citrus juice they also sold me cracked plastic...had to go online to figure that out...and buy more Evods for like $8.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seems like I got lucky. I started almost 2 years ago (march 6th 2014) and went straight to a protank2 with a nemesis mech mod. Then bought a igo-w then a plume veil clone then a tobh clone and then and then and then

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If only the dickwads that sold me three for $14 in a shop would've told me the citrus juice they also sold me cracked plastic...had to go online to figure that out...and buy more Evods for like $8.
If they would have been glass they would have been perfect with slightly more airflow.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If they would have been glass they would have been perfect with slightly more airflow.
That's why I was so hopeful when the Smok Aro came out - it was like a big glass Evod. Kanger did eventually make an Evod Glass, but it was well past the point when I'd switched to mechs and RDAs.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The WTNA is a altered form that is gentle from snus vs. the chew is the subtle vice.
Forget the pouches, I was los all the way.
Nah man. I didn't enjoy the mud mouth. Pouches work for me.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just love the flavor from a fine Swedish snus pouch.
I loved it too but all the salt made my poor old feet swell up real bad.Plus my doctors told me the salt would kill me faster than smoking would've.
I still get cravings for Röda Lacket way too often...Sigh.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As I said before I had quit smoking thanks to Snus,but all the salt was bad for me so had to find an alternative quickly.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm in the eVod / eGo boat as well. I even went back to the tobacco shop I bought the "kit" from for juice once, and could see the MBV url behind what was black marker at the top of the label. I thought that was sheisty so I started Googling around, looking at stuff that was 1/3 the price, and not knock-offs, that was all she wrote. Now here I am, sitting with more electronic toys and gadgets and gizmos than I can shake a stick at.

I did stop in, say, in the last six months or so to grab a pack of the stinkies for my Dad - everything still marked way, way up (old-school kanger atomizers, low-low price of $3 a pop - get 'em while they're in stock!), MBV bottles still sharpied the URL out, but now they're selling flavorings for DIY! Woah! Yeah, sign me up for the email alert to when they're back in stock, you betcha!

...and then refuse to tell me what brand of flavorings you're selling, and tell me they're $15 per 10ml. That's how you get a customer to never even step foot in again, not for a pack of smokes, not for a hello-how're-ya-doing.

But I digress, they sold me my 'kit' that got me to stop smoking. In the end, isn't that the best thing a tobacco shop could do for you? And for that, I'll always nod a little nod whenever I drive by.

KY_Rob

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A V4L ego (they call it something else, but it's essentially an 808 threaded ego) with a carto tank is what got me off tobacco for good.

Started looking at other options, and haven't looked back.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After failing miserably a dozen times with cigalikes, and first gen mods.

The MVP 3 with a Kanger was the one that worked. I still have it, although it's on its final legs.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I moved to Az and cigs were/are $6.00 a pack! I had been smoking 30 years, and driving 30 miles to the Rez became a hassle( $35.00 a carton in comparison). Tried a Joyetech Ego-C with a CE4 tank with a Marlboro flavored juice that tasted exactly like the analog and the juice was $12.00 for 30 mls. That's all it took. gave up cigs in 45 minutes, and in 2 years, have not looked back. Im sure the damage is done, but at least im not going broke anymore (as broke:rolleyes:.)

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
istick 20W and Nautilus mini, tried EVOD and EMOW before this but they didn't do it for me....now have moved on to Dicodes devices mainly

bluraff3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I switched using V2 cigalikes and eventually Smoketip cigalikes (they have a coffee flavor that tastes nothing like coffee but was really good). Those worked for me for about a year until all 10-15 of my batteries died on me on the night of my best friends wedding, which happened to be the day after my wife miscarried her first pregnancy. I would have dove head-first into the analogs that night, but my buddy was there with his vamo/protank 1 combo and he lent me that for the rest of the night. I did some research the next day (while using gum for the nic cravings) and went out and got the itaste vv/vw starter kit (with the cool square tanks) and juice from a few well recommended sites. Have not had a cigarette since.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Started out with an itwist pen, but didn't get off cigs til I bought an istick 40 watt with a smok vct tank. I still use the istick 40, but have since bought an evic mini and a koopor plus and a crown tank. Sub ohm did it for me, after almost 30 years of smoking. Like Shark Vape, I tried everything else, to no avail.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Silver Bullet Mech with the Aspire Nautilus. Nothing worked enough to drop smokes completely until they came out with those and I bought the set up together the day my LVS carried them and I havent looked back...Its been some time.

darkangel07760

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Once I discovered the Aspire Nautilus tank I knew I would never go back to cigarettes. :)

Grego

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Spinner battery with a nautilus moved up to twenty watt I stick then the guy at the shop told me the nautilus was stripped (turned out to be the I stick) and sold me a dripper. Doh... It's been over a year now not a drag.

F

fckaugust8th

The spinner II with a nautilus mini. Smoked for 35 years, got up to 4 packs a day and then cut back to two packs. The early morning coughing got to me so I started looking for alternatives. I walked into a vape shop with great reviews on yelp and they were really good people. We spent close to 2 hours looking and trying different set-ups and then flavors....wow! I started vaping Dec. 1, 2014 (along with 4 analogs that day) and by the third day I was vaping 100% and 0 analogs. Since then I graduated to authentic SMPL mech and several rda clones along with a bucket of tanks:(. My faves right now, in no particular order : eVic VT with a Hurricane, eVicVT mini with eLeaf GT air, Wismec Presa75w with Uwell Crown and Wismec RX200 with Aspire Triton. I love the TC with stainless steel coils and scottish roll wicks (no leaks, great flavor, good clouds and no dry hits). The new Triton mini clapton coils put new life in my old nautilus and nautilus mini, they are so much better now! The one thing my wife noticed - besides how much time and effort I dedicate to my new vaping addiction - was that about three to four days after I started vaping, I had stopped coughing!
Will I go back to analogs?? Hell NO!, I'm having more fun vaping!

Cheers,
Brewbear

Well the first time I quit it was thanks to a Vision Spinner. But then I started smoking again. The second time it was an iStick 30W. This time I feel like it's finally sticking, I don't have the cravings I did all the times before, and it's thanks to an iStick 50W with a Kanger Genitank.

Spent

Member For 4 Years
The same here, a pen thing my daughter gave me for Xmas two years ago. Was OK but never quite satisfying. Soon got a 15 watt Vamo and a KayFun lite and loved it and not had a cigarette since. For me it has become a hobby of sorts. Building, making home brew juice, etc. On a stable of mods and attys.

rHiNo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
iStick 50w w/ Atlantis tank. pack a day smoker

DSE901, Fluval Blue foam for the cartridges, 36 Mg/Ml 555 Tobacco ejuice.
I started using chantix 2 days ago. Going from a 2-3 pack a day smoker/17 yr. and switching to an eleaf40w 6mg nicotine I'm happy to report only 6 cig smoked today. I don't foresee myself taking chaotic for more than a month with a ween period and continuously smoking cigarettes. I'll be honest and say that when I decided to quit smoking was two days ago and I'm not sure if it's the chantix or Vape that is aiding me but something is right. I've personally had zero dream altering although my father did and expeerienced fits of aggression but I have non of that to report.

VU Sponsors