Become a Patron!

what guage kanthol to buy?

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't got into SS or anything yet only kanthol. I was wondering what guage would be good to get or should I get some of all? I want to make claptons soon and I see people saying they used like 40n46 random numbers which I don't know if they are right but what is that? newbie needing help :)

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Id start on thicker wire if youve never built a clapton.... when you get to the 40s its probably because youve mastered ssome maneuverability in makin claptons.... just my 2 cents.
Something like 30-32-38 around those are pretty good to start off at imo. Its what i currently use.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have 24,26,28 I will prolly get those sizes. which one do you wrap it around?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's probably best to get a wide variety of standard gauges just to see what works for you. Sometimes gauges you wouldn't think to use end up being the ones seeing the most use. Go for the standard set of 32 - 28 - 26 - 24 - 22. 50 feet of each is plenty to play around with. Those are the main gauges that people use. When you see someone talking about a build that you might want to experiment with, they'll likely be using at least one of those.

For claptons, super-thin gauges are the best outer wire. I'd recommend starting with 34 and working your way down, though. As noted by @martinelias, they are harder to work with. Past 36g, the wire starts getting as thin or thinner than a human hair. I think a good clapton set would be 34 - 36 - 38 - 40. With these, don't skimp on footage. Buy at least 250 feet of each. It can take 15-20 feet to do enough clapton for two coils.

When you see "n" next to a wire gauge, that usually means the wire is nichrome. You'll see a lot of nichrome users in the clapton game. It's worth looking into. It heats up a bit quicker than kanthal and ohms lower. Claptons can usually benefit from nichrome as a core because of the extra power you get per unit of mass. It's not absolutely necessary... ...just a way you can go with it.

As to your last question, I do claptons on all 3 of those guages. Which one I use depends on the power and ultimately the airflow I'm constraining the build to.

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
do you think a good one would be 26nichrome with 34 or 36 outer kanthol?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
do you think a good one would be 26nichrome with 34 or 36 outer kanthol?
That's actually a great starting choice. It's a pretty standard combination. You can use that build as a benchmark for other claptons. It's kind of right there in the middle range of what claptons can do.

I would probably go with 36 for the outer, specifically. 34 might be a bit much, surface area-wise. Like, either one will work, but I'd say 36 is just a little more advantageous when it comes to flavor and speed.

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
not guage related but are claptons better at low ohms (.2-.5) or higher? I have an IPV 4S so I can handle a good amount of watts. I never built one so not to sure on the wraps and what not to measure. unless steam engine has a tab for the claptons lol

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
not guage related but are claptons better at low ohms (.2-.5) or higher? I have an IPV 4S so I can handle a good amount of watts. I never built one so not to sure on the wraps and what not to measure. unless steam engine has a tab for the claptons lol
Resistance-wise, claptons ohm out very slightly higher than the core itself will calculate out to. You can just plug in the guage of the core and get a pretty reasonable estimate.

It has to do with the way the current travels. The resistance of the outer wire is literally tens of times higher... ...we're talking double-digit ohms, so it doesn't carry any current. The current instead jumps from the high-resistance outer wire to the core right at the connection. That little gap in the connection between the outer lead and the core will bring the resistance up a smidge, but the outer wire on the coil portion itself is essentially inactive once you get the shorts out of it. It's just a heastsink.

Personally, I don't build claptons by resistance when I'm building them for my Sig 150. I only calculate to keep it above .1 so it'll fire. The resistance doesn't affect ramp or temperature. It's the mass of the coil that will determine how fast it will heat up, how hot it will get, and what the power level range is.

You kind of have to eyeball how much surface area you want and what power levels you want to run it at. That's all preference. Generally, the bigger the clapton, the hotter and more intense the vape is going to be.

dwalters719

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
great information. I will deffinately be experimenting here soon :)

VU Sponsors