Become a Patron!

What is a good first time unregulated box ?

Vape99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What is a good first time unregulated box for someone like me ? I have been vaping a couple of years and have never had an unregulated box mod and was wondering where to start ? I am not really into mech mods because of battery life and was hoping for possibly a series model. I know the Hexohm really look attractive to me but I know there are tons out there. Hexohm is a little steep price wise for an entry box, but what else is there that is well made and well....cool looking ?, and easy to deal with. I have several mods already but I feel like I need something else to fully enjoy.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not a box but a tube : http://www.ecig.com/aspire-cf-mod.html

Has all the protections you need while giving the unregulated power. Not a bad thing to learn on as it will cut you off. I'm sure there has to be parallel options like this.

For Series the Noisy Cricket is just priced so well it's stupid not to start there, however you have to realize the increased voltage means you have to pay attention to safety limits even more. .4Ω+ is what I'd recommend, and having some beefier coils capable of that resistance isn't a bad idea either. Personally I use 28g KA1 or 30g 316L cored fused claptons and it's about perfect for me. Though I did do a recent build of a 26g SS bridged dual coil (one wire but a break in the coil that has the wire leading to the other side of the deck where the other coil is wound, think coils in series) that is pretty sweet as well.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is a good first time unregulated box for someone like me ? I have been vaping a couple of years and have never had an unregulated box mod and was wondering where to start ? I am not really into mech mods because of battery life and was hoping for possibly a series model. I know the Hexohm really look attractive to me but I know there are tons out there. Hexohm is a little steep price wise for an entry box, but what else is there that is well made and well....cool looking ?, and easy to deal with. I have several mods already but I feel like I need something else to fully enjoy.
I'd recommend hitting eBay and getting a basic Hammond Box with a Mosfet, you can get them for a bit over $60, average I've seen is $70. It's a good started box then when you've got some experience upgrade to a good Mech.

Noisy Cricket is cheap but series mod's aren't really a good place to start with for beginners. Full disclosure the NC was my first Mech, but I also watched a lot of youtubes on mech safety, building for a series mod, trolled a lot of forums, etc. etc. To do it over again I would been best served starting out with an Unregulated Mod with a Mosfet then work up.

Cheers

Vape99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'd recommend hitting eBay and getting a basic Hammond Box with a Mosfet, you can get them for a bit over $60, average I've seen is $70. It's a good started box then when you've got some experience upgrade to a good Mech.

Noisy Cricket is cheap but series mod's aren't really a good place to start with for beginners. Full disclosure the NC was my first Mech, but I also watched a lot of youtubes on mech safety, building for a series mod, trolled a lot of forums, etc. etc. To do it over again I would been best served starting out with an Unregulated Mod with a Mosfet then work up.

Cheers

I hear you. I have started watching some youtube vids, the only thing I dont understand about batteries is what range is safe and what is unsafe. All you do is plug the battery output and your resistance. But it does not tell me what is a safe range. Its like everyone says stuff but doesnt give you the safe/unsafe ranges.

Are you saying build my own mod ?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear you. I have started watching some youtube vids, the only thing I dont understand about batteries is what range is safe and what is unsafe. All you do is plug the battery output and your resistance. But it does not tell me what is a safe range. Its like everyone says stuff but doesnt give you the safe/unsafe ranges.

Are you saying build my own mod ?
Go to Steam Engine for Ohms law and stick with authentic Sony, Samsung and LG batteries.

Here's my advice for someone getting into mech's

1. Ohm's law, http://www.steam-engine.org/ makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android
2. Batteries, fucking batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!!
a. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung, great places to get authentic are from
http://liionwholesale.com/
https://www.imrbatteries.com/
b. Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"
c. Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and rates batteries, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog
d. Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks, tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high, no lower that .4 ohms
4. Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build or any shorts.
5. Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button insure nothing is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front jeans pocket and blow your dick off ya know ;)

Vape99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
3. Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -
a. Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up
b. Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery and you can add 1/2 the amp rating of the next battery
c. Series you double the voltage but you share the amp. So a series you build high, no lower that .4 ohms
;)

So what happens if I build below a .1 ? I need a new battery ?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So what happens if I build below a .1 ? I need a new battery ?
Additionally avoid eFest, they're pipe bomb's, something about rewrapping factory reject 10 amp batteries with ratings of 40 amps. Stick with batteries Mooch has tested and blessed. As long as you build within the CDR rating of what Mooch publishes you'll be fine.

Vape99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What is a good rewrap kit ? I mean, I know nothing about it. Do I just go onto ebay and pick something up ?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What is a good rewrap kit ? I mean, I know nothing about it. Do I just go onto ebay and pick something up ?
Just google battery wraps, you can get them at Fat Daddy Vapes, IMR Batteries, etc. etc.
Watch a Youtube on wrapping batteries, it's very, very easy.

Vape99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just google battery wraps, you can get them at Fat Daddy Vapes, IMR Batteries, etc. etc.
Watch a Youtube on wrapping batteries, it's very, very easy.

Will do and appreciate your guidance. Think im ready to roll on a mech of unreg.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will do and appreciate your guidance. Think im ready to roll on a mech of unreg.
No problem, just use your head and you'll be fine.

Also to add, I've seen a lot of places charge up to and over $1 for one battery wrap which is complete bullshit. If they try to charge you over 15c a wrap they're gouging you. Also spring for terminal protectors, that's the ring under the wrap protecting the positive side of the battery, they're very cheap also. Last batch of wraps cost me like 10c each and the rings around the same, got them from IMR Batteries. They're cheap so get a good supply of them to keep on hand, very, very simple to re-wrap batteries and it's cheap insurance. This applies to all mod's, not just Mech's ;)

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ebay is a great place to start looking for unregulated boxes. I have my eye on the Tuglyfe V1, Hexohm V3, (nice clone, also on Fasttech.com), and a few really nice mosfet boxes under $70.00. Probably a good idea to have a couple of these in the arsenal before vapocolypse...

Vape99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ebay is a great place to start looking for unregulated boxes. I have my eye on the Tuglyfe V1, Hexohm V3, (nice clone, also on Fasttech.com), and a few really nice mosfet boxes under $70.00. Probably a good idea to have a couple of these in the arsenal before vapocolypse...

Orederd a Hexohm style v3, since people rave about it and it being only 40 bucks. Need to look into the mosfet boxes, whatever that is?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Orederd a Hexohm style v3, since people rave about it and it being only 40 bucks. Need to look into the mosfet boxes, whatever that is?
The Hexohm is a180 watt variable voltage regulated box. Well kinda sort of, it's what they call a PMW Mod. ;)

A mosfet box is a mech mod with a Mosfet switch.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vape99

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just picked up a Hexohm v3 from fasttech for $32.00 after coupon code "dad". Nice.:).

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't get anything that uses 26650 batteries. They do not make any decent 26650 batteries.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Don't get anything that uses 26650 batteries. They do not make any decent 26650 batteries.
Been using Basen 26650's and I like them, like the extra battery life and the extra 5 amps. I have a parallel and a series 26650 box and a few 26650 tube mods, been very happy with them.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't get as good a hit off 26650s. I find the 18650s hit way harder. If you are looking for a steal on a mech mod ...
http://vape-street.com/noble-box-mods/
I bought one immediately after seeing it.
You just need to build right for it, I build for my single 26650 around a .17 for RDA's and .2 for my Tanks, they hit very, very well.

Like I said having 5 extra amps to play with plus the extra battery life is a big plus.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I built my Kennedy 24 around .12 and I still prefer the hit on a regulated mod over my two 26650s. Dunno what to say.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I can get around here are Efests.
Think a good chunk of your issues is eFest, I went with Basen due to Mooch's test rating and recommendation, I've have been happy with them. eFest are one of the worst brands on the market.

Go to Liion Wholesale, they have Basen for a good price

VU Sponsors