Become a Patron!

What is a mechanical mod?

Camelh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So hi, i havent really understood what a mech mod is, i would like to try one, but as i said, i dont know how it works nor what it really is, so can someone explain that to me?

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it's just a device that connects the battery to the atomizer. mechanical means it current flow comes straight from the battery to the atomizer without going through electronics.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
IMHO, I would not suggest Mechs to a new vaper.

Just too much that can go wrong if you don't know how to use them.

But if you do know what you are doing, respect OHMs law's and know battery safety you can get a great vape out of them with the right topper!

Camelh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IMHO, I would not suggest Mechs to a new vaper.

Just too much that can go wrong if you don't know how to use them.

But if you do know what you are doing, respect OHMs law's and know battery safety you can get a great vape out of them with the right topper!
Ok thanks, and also, what is a rba and rda, and are they usefull with a vv/vw mod?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
RBAs and RDAs again are not for most beginners. You still need to know how to build and install coils and wicks that you make yourself and install before use.

RBAs have a tank you fill up with E-Liquid and you are good to go for hours on end.

RDAs do not normally have a tank and you are constantly having to manually add E-Liquid as you vape but are known to provide more vapor and flavor.

Both will work well on a regulated mod (VV/VW)

But for the RDAs most of them do their best with dual coils and need a higher wattage setting. Like 20 watts plus.

Camelh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
RBAs and RDAs again are not for most beginners. You still need to know how to build and install coils and wicks that you make yourself and install before use.

RBAs have a tank you fill up with E-Liquid and you are good to go for hours on end.

RDAs do not normally have a tank and you are constantly having to manually add E-Liquid as you vape but are known to provide more vapor and flavor.

Both will work well on a regulated mod (VV/VW)

But for the RDAs most of them do their best with dual coils and need a higher wattage setting. Like 20 watts plus.
Ok thanks, for the moment il buy a vv vw box mod + aspire nautilus, but later on i think il buy a rda or rba :D

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it seems that you are brand new. here is what i suggest:

eleaf iStick
Aspire Nautilus Mini

after you use that for awhile, you can decide what you want. I use mechanicals exclusively and just got an eleaf iStick yesterday and find that it's great at 20W. you can dial it down to your liking.

Camelh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
it seems that you are brand new. here is what i suggest:

eleaf iStick
Aspire Nautilus Mini

after you use that for awhile, you can decide what you want. I use mechanicals exclusively and just got an eleaf iStick yesterday and find that it's great at 20W. you can dial it down to your liking.
yep, thats actually what im going for (i think) but does the istick have uppgradeability so i can change to maybe the tugboat or something like that?

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you can put what ever you like that has a 510 connection or ego connection. for the eleaf you have to build a coil 1ohm-3ohm it won't fit right because the tugboat is a 22mm wide atomizer and will over hang off the edge. I have a 19mm nimbus and it hangs over. you can't tell but the side with the buttons the atomizer is hanging over the edge

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
click

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You could, but likely would not like vaping a RDA at 20 watts.

If you think you MAY want to move that direction, buy a Sigelei 100 watt V2 or Plus, and 4 good batteries (with a good charger).

You can run a tank at 10-15 watts, and the charge in a pair of batteries will last you several days. If you eventually want to use an RDA, you have a box that can handle that.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i use mechanicals and vape anywhere from 30W to 45W and 20W (especially if I were just starting out) is great.

pony

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yep, thats actually what im going for (i think) but does the istick have uppgradeability so i can change to maybe the tugboat or something like that?
the istick will fire whatever you want to put on it. provided the resistance is above 1 ohm. so as long as you build a rda/rba higher you can do it.
however its pretty much fixed at the 20 watts. if theres any opportunity for upgrading i havent heard about it.

Last edited:

Camelh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i use mechanicals and vape anywhere from 30W to 45W and 20W (especially if I were just starting out) is great.
so, the only mod you have is the istick? in that case im going for that + nautilus mini ATM and may buy a rda later on.

Camelh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
you can put what ever you like that has a 510 connection or ego connection. for the eleaf you have to build a coil 1ohm-3ohm it won't fit right because the tugboat is a 22mm wide atomizer and will over hang off the edge. I have a 19mm nimbus and it hangs over. you can't tell but the side with the buttons the atomizer is hanging over the edge

and also, is the 22mm hanging over such a big deal? or just looks?

Camelh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
no, I have four nemesis, caravela, JM, M16, Picses, and stingray. I think the iStick is a perfect starter.

just looks
ok, so then im thinking about both the tugboat v2 and the dark horse, also, any good rba you know off?

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
both are fine but this is what it will look like with a 22mm atty. this one is 23mm but you get the picture.
xKWz9T3.jpg

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
here is an eleaf with a 22mm tug boat
tumblr_nfrq9bmeQ41s783j4o1_1280.jpg
I dig that color combo, is that tugboat a clone I assume? U.S. Vendor possibly. That would look awesome on my black carbon fiber IPV3.

As for overhangs, I've got two Aerotank Giants coming in tomorrow for my IPV3. They're gonna hang over quite a bit. Were too cheap to pass up, but I don't think any of my 18650 mods will like em.

OP, I think the iStick is a good plan. I don't own one, but they are very highly regarded by new vapers to seasoned vapers. Variable wattage is pretty nice, and they have the power to use an RBA for sure, should you choose to try that out. They have protection against shorts as well, which is very good for a new builder. I had an MVP 2 when I got my first Kayfun Lite. It was a downward spiral from there, but though underpowered, I'm glad I,started regulated. Once I got to mechs I was fully comfortable with what I was doing. Enjoy finding your new setup!

VU Sponsors