Become a Patron!

what is the secret to a great strawberry?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Strawberry seems to be a very common and popular flavor in Ejuice- DIY or store bought. So far, I am not having much luck getting strawberry to stand out in a mix. Maybe it's my brands. I have TFA organic strawberry and TFA strawberry ripe. The organic seems to be pretty weak. At 5% in a mix, I can't tell it is there. I have a custard sitting, with 8%custard, 2% DDL, and 5% organic strawberry. 30 mls, i believe. Max Vg. Nicotine is VG based. Only PG comes from the flavorings. I added 6 drops of strawberry ripe to it and it's better, but still not very strawberry. I'm not sure if it's being overpowered or I just haven't used enough. And does steep time bring strawberry out? Or additives needed? Thanks in advance. I have had trouble finding a consensus on the amount of the strawberry organic to use, and reviews are pretty mixed.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Next order, I'll try Cap SS. I'm thinking of giving INW shish strawberry a try, too. I love sweet stuff and have read that INW shish SB really delivers that sweet candy taste.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Strawberry is a personal choice depending on the mix and what your trying to accomplish. Sometimes a sweeter strawberry works better than a realistic riper strawberry and vice versa.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, one of my store bought I really like is Strawberry Circus by Epiclouds. It's pretty sweet. It's not majorly expensive, but I was hoping to replicate it DIY. Until I can place another order, I may try a base of organic and ripe strawberry, with toasted marshmallow and a bit of EM added. Does that sound like it may work? Maybe 10% strawberry, 4% marshmallow and 1% EM? Feel free to offer adjustments. I'm pretty new to this and am a believer in following the advice of those more experienced before I experiment. And possibly ruin a good mix.

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When trying to get a strawberry base to stand out in a mix my personal mix is 6-8% TFA RIPE, 3-4% CAPS sweet straw. 2% FA straw. And if you like .50-1% FA raspberry to make it pop.
You need to shake the hell out of Fa

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Try adding another 1-2% of Strawberry Ripe to your custard mix.
Add 1% EM
Needs to steep for at least a week because of both the Custard and Strawberry.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Reading the forums, Strawberry seems to be the Holy Grail of DIY. :cool:

I've managed to get my % and steep times down on my mixes with a stirrer. But getting the expected taste I'm seeking has been troublesome.

I've got an order of EVERY strawberry flavor there is coming. Maybe I'll find a combo that works for me.

I'll share the results and notes as I discover them.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reading the forums, Strawberry seems to be the Holy Grail of DIY. :cool:

I've managed to get my % and steep times down on my mixes with a stirrer. But getting the expected taste I'm seeking has been troublesome.

I've got an order of EVERY strawberry flavor there is coming. Maybe I'll find a combo that works for me.

I'll share the results and notes as I discover them.[/QUOTE

I'll be looking forward to it. It does seem rather elusive.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
FA Strawberry is what you seek imo, 3%. But for now try a combination of ripe and organic. 2 and 5% respectfully

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
FA Strawberry is what you seek imo, 3%. But for now try a combination of ripe and organic. 2 and 5% respectfully

Already there. But still not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a taste closer to Strawberry Glaze.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I think a strawberry glaze kind of sums it up for me, too. Strawberry Circus almost has a confectioners sugar taste to it. I will check into FA also, though.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know I'm not going to get that taste from the custard mix though.

dannydestroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I agree add .5% Fa raspberry or .5% dragon fruit. It makes the strawberry pop in my mixes.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I think a strawberry glaze kind of sums it up for me, too. Strawberry Circus almost has a confectioners sugar taste to it. I will check into FA also, though.
Have you tried cap sweet Strawberry?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have you tried cap sweet Strawberry?
Yes, same thing again.
As I stated earlier, I have EVERY version of Strawberry (that I don't have) on order now. I'll work it out somehow.

I'm able to create a close version. But I need to be exact as possible, as this will be used as a base for another recipe that needs a Strawberry Glaze taste.

Always the bridesmaid it seems, is the story of my life.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, same thing again.
As I stated earlier, I have EVERY version of Strawberry (that I don't have) on order now. I'll work it out somehow.

I'm able to create a close version. But I need to be exact as possible, as this will be used as a base for another recipe that needs a Strawberry Glaze taste.

Always the bridesmaid it seems, is the story of my life.
That's how I feel about nutty tasting flavors. I've been on a, sometimes distracted, hunt for something that tastes nutty,to me anyway.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's how I feel about nutty tasting flavors. I've been on a, sometimes distracted, hunt for something that tastes nutty,to me anyway.
Although I don't care for the overall taste. RY4 has a hazelnut/acorn taste that's seems interesting. You might see what's in that mix.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Although I don't care for the overall taste. RY4 has a hazelnut/acorn taste that's seems interesting. You might see what's in that mix.
That's what this is for. I haven't made my ry4 in a long time was hoping to add the nutty flavor from a premix brand called two peas in a pod,its a North western American brand sold local out there. Only time I could taste the nutty flavor at all, ever. I have a host of nut flavorings from peanut Hazelnut and everything in between in different brands, can't mimic it at all.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's what this is for. I haven't made my ry4 in a long time was hoping to add the nutty flavor from a premix brand called two peas in a pod,its a North western American brand sold local out there. Only time I could taste the nutty flavor at all, ever. I have a host of nut flavorings from peanut Hazelnut and everything in between in different brands, can't mimic it at all.

Sometimes it's not what you put in the juice. It's what the juice is kept in before bottling.

Just to add another complication to your train of thought. ;)

There's a vendor in Alabama who supposedly steeps his signature line in used whiskey barrels. He gets $35 for 30ml. And usually sells it all before it's even bottled. I can't speak for the taste, I'm not paying $35 for a bottle of any juice.

Another item, Pecan Coffee doesn't have Pecan in it. Some brands do, but most have the soft inner shell ground in with the beans. It adds a pecan flavor at a cheaper cost.

The are many things to consider when you're looking at a flavor you can't find or replicate.

Just my thoughts.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes it's not what you put in the juice. It's what the juice is kept in before bottling.

Just to add another complication to your train of thought. ;)

There's a vendor in Alabama who supposedly steeps his signature line in used whiskey barrels. He gets $35 for 30ml. And usually sells it all before it's even bottled. I can't speak for the taste, I'm not paying $35 for a bottle of any juice.

Another item, Pecan Coffee doesn't have Pecan in it. Some brands do, but most have the soft inner shell ground in with the beans. It adds a pecan flavor at a cheaper cost.

The are many things to consider when you're looking at a flavor you can't find or replicate.

Just my thoughts.
Yeah oak steeping has been thing for a while. Never thought to try an extract.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered TFA DX Peanut butter on a whim because I needed $1 and change to hit the free shipping. I to am having a nut conundrum. Too little and not enough flavor. Too much and it becomes a bit bitter. So far my fix has been to add some FA Marzipan to smooth things out.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Still waiting for Peanut butter to ship. I'm talking nuts in general. I went off my nut kick for awhile, but I'll get back to it at some point and get it figured out.
that is one thing I have yet to take on in 2.5 years since I started DIY is nutz besides the ones on this forum.. once I used pecan flavor and it tasted kinda like Raid bug spray hahaha :)

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like CAPs sweet strawberry and FAs strawberry. I like TFA strawberry ripe mixed with CAPs sweet strawberry.

For me, this is it. It mixes good with most things. Strawberry ripe(TFA) on it's own has too muchvof an organic taste I guess. You almost miss that sweetness. It's really "viney" I guess!? CAP Sweet strawberry on the other hand seems to be too candy on it's own. The solution for me is to mix equal parts TFA and CAP (about 3-4% each) and BAM! Perfection!

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For me, this is it. It mixes good with most things. Strawberry ripe(TFA) on it's own has too muchvof an organic taste I guess. You almost miss that sweetness. It's really "viney" I guess!? CAP Sweet strawberry on the other hand seems to be too candy on it's own. The solution for me is to mix equal parts TFA and CAP (about 3-4% each) and BAM! Perfection!
Sounds good. Candy is sort of what I'm after though. Kind of like strawberry glaze or strawberry quik.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently tried Ichigo which is a strawberry milk flavor a friend of mine was raving about. Right from the first puff I could taste raspberry and it was really sweet so there was a sweetener in there for sure. It was so sweet I could lick my lips after and taste the sweetness still, forgot how sweet some store bought really is. Wasn't crazy about Ichigo due to how sweet is was but it gave me idea's on how to make the SB pop more.

I have tried FA and TFA Raspberry to make the SB pop before and after a week all I could taste was Raspberry. I figured I just made a Raspberry Custard and put it away to try later. Tried it again about a month later and I could still taste some Raspberry but the SB was more pronounced and it was really good. I need to mix up a big batch and just forget about it for a month. I preferred TFA over FA but I would not buy the TFA version if I already had the FA version. I did order some INW Raspberry so will for sure try the recipe with it when it arrives.

Here is the recipe that worked well after a long steep:

Sweet Cream DX (TFA) 6%
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 5%
Strawberry (FA) 2%
Bavarian Cream DX (TFA) 3%
Vanilla Custard V2 (CAP) 4%
Sweetener (TFA) 1.5%
Graham Cracker V2 (CAP) 0.25%
Sweet Raspberry (TFA) 0.25%
Vanillin (TFA) 1%

It wasn't as sweet as I was expecting considering the amount of sweetener and sweet cream. I actually prefer CAP Sweet Cream more than TFA now but haven't tried it in this mix yet. I am thinking or replacing the FA SB with INW Shisha SB as it is sweeter and tends to stand out more while at the same time tasting delicious.

I know sweetener's are not popular around here and 90% of my mixes don't use it. I think it might help amplify a sweet fruit like SB to help it shine though and store bought juices can be real sweet so new mixers should have a sweetener on hand. Now that I know how sweet some of the juices my friends like I will have a V2 version I make for them with sweetener in it.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dragonfruit at around 0.25 to 0,5% max helps SB pop as well. None of them are shake n vape though, it takes some time to steep before the SB develops.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently tried Ichigo which is a strawberry milk flavor a friend of mine was raving about. Right from the first puff I could taste raspberry and it was really sweet so there was a sweetener in there for sure. It was so sweet I could lick my lips after and taste the sweetness still, forgot how sweet some store bought really is. Wasn't crazy about Ichigo due to how sweet is was but it gave me idea's on how to make the SB pop more.

I have tried FA and TFA Raspberry to make the SB pop before and after a week all I could taste was Raspberry. I figured I just made a Raspberry Custard and put it away to try later. Tried it again about a month later and I could still taste some Raspberry but the SB was more pronounced and it was really good. I need to mix up a big batch and just forget about it for a month. I preferred TFA over FA but I would not buy the TFA version if I already had the FA version. I did order some INW Raspberry so will for sure try the recipe with it when it arrives.

Here is the recipe that worked well after a long steep:

Sweet Cream DX (TFA) 6%
Sweet Strawberry (CAP) 5%
Strawberry (FA) 2%
Bavarian Cream DX (TFA) 3%
Vanilla Custard V2 (CAP) 4%
Sweetener (TFA) 1.5%
Graham Cracker V2 (CAP) 0.25%
Sweet Raspberry (TFA) 0.25%
Vanillin (TFA) 1%

It wasn't as sweet as I was expecting considering the amount of sweetener and sweet cream. I actually prefer CAP Sweet Cream more than TFA now but haven't tried it in this mix yet. I am thinking or replacing the FA SB with INW Shisha SB as it is sweeter and tends to stand out more while at the same time tasting delicious.

I know sweetener's are not popular around here and 90% of my mixes don't use it. I think it might help amplify a sweet fruit like SB to help it shine though and store bought juices can be real sweet so new mixers should have a sweetener on hand. Now that I know how sweet some of the juices my friends like I will have a V2 version I make for them with sweetener in it.
I like sweet. I just don't have much experience with them. I have Cotton Candy flavor and Marshmallow on hand. That's it at the moment. I think I will try the Cap sweet strawberry and INW shisha strawberry next. I have not heard of Ichigo, but it actually sounds pretty good.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dragonfruit at around 0.25 to 0,5% max helps SB pop as well. None of them are shake n vape though, it takes some time to steep before the SB develops.
I may order some too, next time I place one. The only other fruits I have at my disposal are Cap apricot and TFA blueberry extra.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So it looks like that I need to order INW shisha strawberry, Cap sweet strawberry, maybe FA Strawberry (that would about cover all the strawberries LOL ), and some sort of dragonfruit or raspberry. Any suggested brands for those? And maybe some sucralose or stevia. Strawberry Quik you will not defeat me!!

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Raspberry is not an easy flavor imo.
I'm still looking to find the gem.
Maybe a bit of dragonfruit then. Blueberry must be another thats hard to do. I love blueberry flavored
foods, so I thought I'd like blueberry vapes but that hadn't been the case. The store bought juices I've tried have been very perfumey. Unvapeable unless I mix with custard. Not sure about DIY. I haven't messed with the Blueberry extra yet.

VinceV1

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes. Blueberry is another one that is hard to nail. Steeping cannot be skipped, at least.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes. Blueberry is another one that is hard to nail. Steeping cannot be skipped, at least.
I tried one called Blueberry Grapevine at the shop. I cant remember the manufacturer right now. It tasted good there, with no nicotine and in the non sub ohm tank they had. I bought some and it tasted terrible in my tank. I had to air it out and put it away. After a week or so, it isn't much better. So I'm vaping it with a 1.2 coil mixed with some custard I made. It's at least doable that way. I think I bought 3 mg so it shouldn't be that. I think the flavoring just does not taste good in my tank.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Still waiting for Peanut butter to ship. I'm talking nuts in general. I went off my nut kick for awhile, but I'll get back to it at some point and get it figured out.
Are you nut flavor challenged as well? Try INW Peanut if you want to stay on the Peanut route. I get chewed roasted peanuts, No salt. Close to peanut butter imo. Just not exactly nutty imo

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you nut flavor challenged as well? Try INW Peanut if you want to stay on the Peanut route. I get chewed roasted peanuts, No salt. Close to peanut butter imo. Just not exactly nutty imo
I think I'll stick with the nuts I have now. I have sooo many flavors as it is and of course more on the way:confused:. I just gave my son about 10 flavors I don't use. I'm hoping peanut butter will be alright. I had a creamy peanut butter flavor I bought as a premix(before DIY) and enjoyed it. Okay damn it! INW Peanut on the wish list.:D

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think I'll stick with the nuts I have now. I have sooo many flavors as it is and of course more on the way:confused:. I just gave my son about 10 flavors I don't use. I'm hoping peanut butter will be alright. I had a creamy peanut butter flavor I bought as a premix(before DIY) and enjoyed it. Okay damn it! INW Peanut on the wish list.:D
Yeah had my flavor stash not been robbed a couple weeks ago, I'd probably be getting some more to experiment with. But alas must replace what was stolen. Most of which already replaced thanks to BCV! But a set back none the less.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah had my flavor stash not been robbed a couple weeks ago, I'd probably be getting some more to experiment with. But alas must replace what was stolen. Most of which already replaced thanks to BCV! But a set back none the less.
:mad:Who in the hell steals flavors??? That's right up there with stealing my motorcycle or punching my Mom. :mad:Those BASTARDS!!!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
:mad:Who in the hell steals flavors??? That's right up there with stealing my motorcycle or punching my Mom. :mad:Those BASTARDS!!!
It gets worse dude! Happened at a baby shower hosted here... Had mods and tanks/rdas everywhere none touched. I don't understand why... I always help new vapers out with making them liquid and such. Hope whoever did it tries to vape just the concentrate!

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It gets worse dude! Happened at a baby shower hosted here... Had mods and tanks/rdas everywhere none touched. I don't understand why... I always help new vapers out with making them liquid and such. Hope whoever did it tries to vape just the concentrate!
Who steals anything anywhere? One thing I can't tolerate, is a thief.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Who steals anything anywhere? One thing I can't tolerate, is a thief.
That and a liar. Sorry I derailed thread.
Based on my experience with shisha pineapple, I'm not sure that shisha anything is the route to go...

Edit: There's a distinct smoky flavor. Think pineapple chunks cooked in a smoker for a few hours, without drying out or burning. That's my take on it so never wanted to revisit the shisha line

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That sucks on the flavor thief, what a low life POS.

Thanks for the tip on the Shisha Pineapple, was going to order that but will just stick with what I already have. Shisha Strawberry should be on your wish list though and no smoky flavor but I have not tried it in a single flavor mix.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have CAPs Golden Pineapple on the way. I want to try to make frog eyed salad.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So it looks like that I need to order INW shisha strawberry, Cap sweet strawberry, maybe FA Strawberry (that would about cover all the strawberries LOL ), and some sort of dragonfruit or raspberry. Any suggested brands for those? And maybe some sucralose or stevia. Strawberry Quik you will not defeat me!!

This recipe reminded me of Strawberry Quik: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/117069/Pink+Panther+Milk . I thought it was good and planned on making some tweaks to the recipe to better suite my palette but SB quik is what it reminded me of.

I pretty much have been just using TFA Dragonfruit but got the CAP and INW versions but haven't had time to use them yet. The CAP version smells strong but not sure if I like the smell of it. The INW version smells good but based on smell I wouldn't say it is way different than the TFA version.

I hear the INW Raspberry is real good and have it ordered but not received yet. Since you like sweet than TFA Sweet Raspberry would be a better choice than FA, the FA is good but TFA is sweeter, heck, it's in the name :D

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INW Peanuts is pretty good, reminds me of the peanuts you would chow down on at a baseball game.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This recipe reminded me of Strawberry Quik: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/117069/Pink+Panther+Milk . I thought it was good and planned on making some tweaks to the recipe to better suite my palette but SB quik is what it reminded me of.

I pretty much have been just using TFA Dragonfruit but got the CAP and INW versions but haven't had time to use them yet. The CAP version smells strong but not sure if I like the smell of it. The INW version smells good but based on smell I wouldn't say it is way different than the TFA version.

I hear the INW Raspberry is real good and have it ordered but not received yet. Since you like sweet than TFA Sweet Raspberry would be a better choice than FA, the FA is good but TFA is sweeter, heck, it's in the name :D
That recipe looks good. And complicated. LOL. Nothing like jumping straight into the deepend.

VU Sponsors