Become a Patron!

What Is This? Just Caught In My Backyard. Caught something else.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg Just picked this little guy up out of my kids old toy chest, I have a habit of blowing vape into stuff and watching it settle into fog lol, he was chilling inside it when I went to do it and let me pick it right up. Is this a horny toad or bearded dragon or what?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, just a lizard of sorts, but I can't recall the name!!

Horny Toad

horned-toad.jpg

Bearded Dragon

142113-400x352-Great-shot-of-BD-beard.jpg

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's a blue belly lizard (western fence lizard), they're harmless. They can bite but they're non venomous, just a pinch. I used to catch them all the time growing up.

Had a bearded dragon too, those guys are awesome. If you raise them from babies and socialize them a lot they'll behave a lot like a dog and follow you around the house and hang out on your shoulder.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool, thanks, Im in Texas so I dont know if geography has an affect on what they call it.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Might be the only thing small about Texas! Little Lizard. Technical name.

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol. So that must be a baby horny toad, ive seen the big ones, but didnt know how they started out. Go Horned Frogs! ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Cute little critters. I used to take care of a friend's pets M-F. 6 cats, 5 dogs, about 10 bearded dragons, a turtle and 2 snakes. I told her to be sure the snakes were walked, watered and fed, I'd happily deal with the others.

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Googly imagery says that's it or a very close cousin. Wow, some of them get really pronounced belly coloration. Greens as well. Purdy.

I've never lived in the dry to get to see the spiked ones. Here in PNW it's usually salamanders and skinks etc with the go-fast racing stripes. :p

Sounds like you get the really colorful ones. Out here they're usually very dark colored. I had a leopard gecko and the colors were amazing. The blue belly's are pretty funny, they sit out in the sun to stay warm and when they get too hot they do pushups. Their bellies change color depending on the sex, the males turn from blue to black depending on the time of year, and I'm pretty sure it's the females that change from blue/green to more green.

The bearded dragons did something similar, once they mature their necks turn black when they're ready to mate.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I lived in Southern Virginia we used to get a lot of American Anole's in our garden. They were great bug munchers. Kept my maters and peppers free of bugs. They ate a lot of crickets and grasshoppers too!

male-green-anole-by-ken-slade-cc.jpg

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's a football. I catch them in my backyard sometimes too and they often hang out in toy chests.

DUH!

:p:p:p

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I lived in Southern Virginia we used to get a lot of American Anole's in our garden. They were great bug munchers. Kept my maters and peppers free of bugs. They ate a lot of crickets and grasshoppers too!

male-green-anole-by-ken-slade-cc.jpg

Those are literally everywhere in the French Quarter in N.O.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I put my Helmet on the mirror of my bike to get something I forgot today. A Grasshopper jumped in it, & chilled. I put it on. Didn't wake his ass up till I was in traffic. He was pissed, I was freaked. Jumped into a store parking lot, tore off my helmet, expecting at least a Wasp, & a little Green Grasshopper jumps out. :cool:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lol. So that must be a baby horny toad, ive seen the big ones, but didnt know how they started out. Go Horned Frogs! ;)
I thought they started off as armored tadpoles. LOL.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In Arizona, they are just Leezards. Sorry, my Spanish accent sux.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still puzzled how something 2 inches long can jump three feet straight up. Locusts can fly, grass hoppers not so much. Was a real weird feeling thinking I may be stung or bit @ any moment. :(

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is kind of strange they can exert that much energy at one time to jump.
So, weird question, because I never had to take a science for any of my basics I am ignorant of this, but do bugs have muscles lol? Or is it a chemical reaction or what?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just asked my boyfriend. Their muscular structure in relation to their body weight allows them to do so. They can have anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand muscles. Humans have smooth and striated muscles, whereas insects only have striated, which are more fibrous, therefore, more functional.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it is known as the komodo death dragon one of the most posinous creatures alive....wait oh no that's just a common old what we call wood lizard.

misthub_rick

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Vape Media
But did he offer you 15% or more off your car insurance? Just curious :)

VU Sponsors