Become a Patron!

What makes one mechanical mod better than the other? Why shout I pay more?

CHIEFTANG

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What makes one mech mod better than the other? I understand some are made better than the others, but when it's more than vanity, what characteristics of a mech mod produce more flavor? Considering factors of (in my case) an unregulated tube/box mod, rda, battery, and coil build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Material, how its made, where its made, quality control, the amount of product made/machined, packaging/marketing/customer service, exclusivity....all these play a role.
Mods dont produce flavor, the toppers do. Mechs/Regulated mods provide the power the gets the topper going. If you want a decent mod that will pump it up with low voltage drop then get a Full Copper Mod with Silver Plated contacts. I would suggest a Parallel Box like a Abaddon, Incubus, Raptor, Dimitri, Dos Equis, Diablo, Lethal...The clones are decent and most are good quality and at a cheaper price then the Authentic. Authenticates have better Customer Service, Warranties, and higher QC-which you pay extra for.

Make sure you use decent batteries also-Samsung 25R's, LG HE2/HE4/HB2/HB6

CHIEFTANG

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you're saying the rda and coil build are the only things that influence flavor?

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That and conductivity. So the box does come into play. Poor conductivity between your box and the RDA will affect the ramp up time to heat the coils. Also a bigger battery - let's say a 26650 compared to a 18650 will have the same affect. Some boces have a very low voltage drop which heats up the coils very fast. Also some boxes tend to get hot - even the buttons - very quickly.
So while the RDA nad build is of primary importance, you cannot totally dismiss the box as a contributor.

CHIEFTANG

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That and conductivity. So the box does come into play. Poor conductivity between your box and the RDA will affect the ramp up time to heat the coils. Also a bigger battery - let's say a 26650 compared to a 18650 will have the same affect. Some boces have a very low voltage drop which heats up the coils very fast. Also some boxes tend to get hot - even the buttons - very quickly.
So while the RDA nad build is of primary importance, you cannot totally dismiss the box as a contributor.

Thanks man! I'm looking to make a super flavorful set up. Do you have any recommendations?

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks man! I'm looking to make a super flavorful set up. Do you have any recommendations?

If you bought that Vanilla sky, a decent atty might be a dark horse, little boy, or even a Tug V2. Any RDA will produce flavor/vapor, with a good coil build and proper wicking.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its a metal battery tube with a 510 connector at one end and a switch at the other....you can decide for yourself what that is worth and pay for one in that price range. The performance difference between a battery in a $15 metal tube and one in a $150 metal tube is zero.

Its a metal battery tube with a 510 connector at one end and a switch at the other....you can decide for yourself what that is worth and pay for one in that price range. The performance difference between a battery in a $15 metal tube and one in a $150 metal tube is zero.

Bordeline over-simplifying. See paulS's post. At the core, yes, the mod itself is just the delivery of voltage to the atty, but stating it is just a metal tube is not informative to the post. A copper tube will perform much better on factors like voltage drop and overall battery longevity than an aluminum or sheet metal tube. As far as machining quality, I've seen a couple (not a lot) of cheap tube mods where the interior machining was poor, and actually damaged the battery on entry and exit.

Cheers!

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the price diffrence...well demand...alot of other people want them...materials, aesthetics.,size..performance...saftey...and the fucking button,craftsmenship,reliabilty,longevity,how easy is it to get replacment parts,....as a genny user mods are not that critical to the vape and I spend the lion share of my money on attys....but for drippers a hard hitting mod really does make a diffrence.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you're saying the rda and coil build are the only things that influence flavor?

not totally, but yeah for the most part a great atty with a good build will give a great vape on any mod....a shit atty with a shit build will only give a shit vape no matter what mod you put it on......

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A mech mod will lose battery voltage from the second you press the trigger. You load the battery, it starts to drop voltage - it will start at around 3.8-4v and gradually drop down to 3.0v or similar, batteries won't discharge below a certain voltage. With a regulated mod this drop off is 'regulated' he he....but not on a mech so each time you press the trigger the ramp up time will slightly increase. The vape will change from a fresh battery to a battery that needs recharging. On a regulated mod you get pretty much the same vape until the batteries can't produce enough power for the electronics to manage it. When you build low on a mech most batteries cannot run that voltage at that current - the voltage just drops almost instantly to 3.5v or less. A regulated box like the RX200 will prove a better and more consistent power source...and it is silly cheap. But...people buy things for other reasons than it is the best thing for the job. I have mechs because of their simplicity, or they look nice or I just wanted it. I narrowly avoided buying a Noisy Cricket today when I realised I just don't need one....but I still want one :D

VU Sponsors