Become a Patron!

What makes one mod different from another?

therinrik

Member For 1 Year
Obviously, quality of construction is going to be the biggest thing, and different contact materials affect conduction.

I see a lot of reviews and opinions about how some mod or another is a "heavy hitter". Maybe I haven't tried enough different mods, but I don't see how contacts could change anything enough to be noticeable, and quality really just affects the aesthetics of a mod and how nice it feels to hold, not just the "heaviness" of the vape.

It seems to me that there's not much differrebt between mods of the same build quality aside from aesthetics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's about a lot more than aesthetics. How hard a mod hits is more noticeable than you would think. If you use 0.25 ohm coils on a single cell mech then how hard it hits won't matter as much, but if you use a 0.13 ohm coil on the same mod how hard it hits makes a big difference. Conductivity also plays a big part in how often the mod misfires.

Other things that set mods apart from one another include how the switch feels and how smooth the threads are. Switch design is also a factor to consider.

One factor that might mean nothing to some people but is a big deal to others is how many mods were made. A mod that has a limited run of 500, 5, or even 1 piece(s) appeals to some people, but I put that in the same category as aesthetics.

There is more to choosing a mod than what I just mentioned, but these are the main things I consider when I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a particular mod. Functionality and design are the biggest factors I consider when buying a mod and I promise you there are dramatic differences between many of them even when similarly designed.

Edit- I forgot to mention form factor.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everyone has an opinion. Let's take the Broadside as an example. It isn't a hybrid. So it should not hit as hard as a hybrid right? But in fact it does. It has a great switch and I have the copper Broadside. How the switch is constructed, how the threads are machined, how good an atty connection you have - all factor in. And I've never had my Broadside misfire.

Now people here asked why a Purge cost so much. We had a thread. A basic Purge BTW is not that much but never mind. Purge has a hybrid connection and can be upgraded to silver contacts and is machined superbly. The button has more thread than any I've used and Purge claims it helps with voltage drop. I can only say a basic Truck hits just like a truck.

Now the other factor is maintenance. Copper requires a lot of maintenance. If you have a mod that has arcing (on the button) you will be cleaning often. Some mods also have that cheap China cerakote on them. They just wear off.

You will get the feel of a well made mod after you have tried a number of mechs. It takes time to learn why one mod is better than another. But a good throw and parts that can be easily maintained are a start.

Now @Fudgey Finger has my old able (I have a few ables still). It is really nicely machined. And you can put a silver Purge spring in instead of magnets (I have).

VU Sponsors