Become a Patron!

What other things helped you kick smoking besides vaping

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My wife bought me a Halo Triton and a bunch of their Tribeca juice at 18mg, on the advice of the guy at the store in Atlanta. When she brought them back here, I waited 3 days to try it. I guess I was nervous and afraid to begin because I was putting a lot of hope into it. I began when I awoke that day. I haven't had a cig since, going on 10 months. Within two months I had gone all the way, multiple mods, tanks and DIY.

This approach does work for some, while the marathon works for others. I find it interesting, and dismaying, that older folks need to have it explained to them that personal anecdote is a specific individual's experience which cannot be extrapolated to the general. I understand the young not knowing this, but not older folks. It's one of those things that should go without saying, without people taking umbrage because they feel as if their experience is invalidated because someone had an opposing one.
I'm neither young nor old... I'm at the very center of Gen X so that's how I know you're absolutely right. lol

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One observation, heavy smokers who are well over a pad seem to have an easier time making the switch. Maybe smoking has become mostly a habit to maintain nic to feel normal, and now there are minor or major side effects, costs, a new gf or bf who doesn't like the smell, etc.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Part of why it's called an addiction is due to the wanting to not quit. Whether it's just an excuse or not, the end result will be the same, i.e., they still don't quit. But vaping as a smoke cessation tool can, in many cases (but not all cases) and if the set of circumstances are about right, be more than just a little bit successful. So it's still important to find a strategy that works, if any. And, because it varies wildly from person to person... that's why IMHO a lot of newcomers (including wannabe-vapers) need, from us, more real support for─and less authoritative generalizations against─actually FINDING a strategy that works.

What I'm talking about is there has to be a much better way than just telling them "here, why don't you try this nice tobacco flavored cig-alike and see if you like it" and, next, let a lot of them walk away with their typical excuse of "I tried, but vaping isn't for me so because they always say vaping is the only method that truly works and because I already tried so many other methods in the past and now vaping doesn't work either, I finally give up trying to quit, and I give up permanently". Helping them avoid pitfalling like that should be high on our list of priorities if our aim is to give everyone as fair a chance as we possibly are capable of giving them. Our best intentions are simply not good enough. Remember vaping will almost completely be banned if we don't act soon.

OK now your talking.

Here is where I'm at with the whole vaping thing. If you want to vape by all means vape. If you want to talk about your vaping hobby and the mods, accessories you've bought I can totally dig that. I do that when it comes to my bikes, and riding. Might be just me but I think in the forum section - New Vapors Start Here - there needs to be a section for those newcomers that are possibly looking at vaping as a smoke cessation tool. A set of tools to help them out. I know someone will pipe in here saying that info is here they just have to read. News flash t that person someone looking for answers doesn't go to a forum to sit and read countless post and they probably won't stay very long if that is the route they have to take.

I found this site looking for some info to help my wife with her attempt at vaping to quit smoking. I think that I have more than covered the fact that vaping didn't work for her. That said it surprises me how many people started telling me I need to DIY my juice, build and wick my coils to save money. I'll be frank with you I don't give a rat's ass about making juice, building coils, or ohms law for that matter. Someone trying to quit doesn't need to be inundated by a bunch of people that have moved from smoking cessation vapors to hobbyist and vaping hobbyist an what they need to do so they can save a buck or what mod they ought to be sub-ohming on. That seams to be where the focus is at instead of how to make vaping as pleasant an experience as possible to make the change. I now have a bunch of crap on a shelf that I will at some point probably toss in the trash because it was bought trying to find a comfortable vaping experience to get and stay off smokes. I don't see anything cost cutting during that initial investment time and learning process actually quite the opposite. With that said the cost things was getting way out of hand here. So I ordered some new tank systems to eliminate loosing juice from excessive leaking issues. Last night while we were having the little pissing match I ordered some Kendo Vape Cotton, a ten pack each Triple Core Fused Clapton Coils 316L SS (28gx3 /36g) (30gx3 /38g), and 840 ml of Tmaxx's in a few flavors. Total out of pocket for the tanks and last nights orders about $160. That ought to hold me over for a couple of months at least until I see what I want to do with the vaping side of things. I can tell you I have no intentions of getting into this as a DIY hobbyist. Putting pre-wound coils in a velocity deck and wicking them is about it for me there. I don't see a big savings in DIY juicing either when I can buy an inexpensive, quality product, and the only time I will have involved in it is ordering and steeping.

I related that experience basically to make this point. The vaping community as a whole is locked into this vaping is Nirvana and the sky is full marshmallow clouds thing. There is a lot of advice being passed out on mods and juice. Not so much on practical application in regards to the new comer or smoker looking for an alternative. That part of a thread is pretty much left as an after thought.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Although I was vaping, the main thing that helped me kick the habit was willpower! Granted if I didn't have a vape to help when I had the cravings it would have been impossible it was in my opinion the decision it was time to quit.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One observation, heavy smokers who are well over a pad seem to have an easier time making the switch. Maybe smoking has become mostly a habit to maintain nic to feel normal, and now there are minor or major side effects, costs, a new gf or bf who doesn't like the smell, etc.

Heavy smokers and long term smokers are use to the discomfort of inhaling crap into their lungs. I know that sounds coarse but it helps with initial vapors cough, hacking and transitioning to direct lung.

On the side effect thing. I'm fixing to have to cut my in the house vaping down and move it to my office or outside. It is giving my wife headaches when I fog the place up. I'm beginning to think she might be PG intolerant. I am vaping a 50/50 right now and it seems to be aggravating the situation.

BCBuch

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Although I was vaping, the main thing that helped me kick the habit was willpower! Granted if I didn't have a vape to help when I had the cravings it would have been impossible it was in my opinion the decision it was time to quit.

We decided it was time to quit here as well. I needed the vape to help keep me in a frame of mind and mood others could deal with. I will admit it helped with the cravings and got me through the initial round.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK now your talking.

Here is where I'm at with the whole vaping thing. If you want to vape by all means vape. If you want to talk about your vaping hobby and the mods, accessories you've bought I can totally dig that. I do that when it comes to my bikes, and riding. Might be just me but I think in the forum section - New Vapors Start Here - there needs to be a section for those newcomers that are possibly looking at vaping as a smoke cessation tool. A set of tools to help them out. I know someone will pipe in here saying that info is here they just have to read. News flash t that person someone looking for answers doesn't go to a forum to sit and read countless post and they probably won't stay very long if that is the route they have to take.

I found this site looking for some info to help my wife with her attempt at vaping to quit smoking. I think that I have more than covered the fact that vaping didn't work for her. That said it surprises me how many people started telling me I need to DIY my juice, build and wick my coils to save money. I'll be frank with you I don't give a rat's ass about making juice, building coils, or ohms law for that matter. Someone trying to quit doesn't need to be inundated by a bunch of people that have moved from smoking cessation vapors to hobbyist and vaping hobbyist an what they need to do so they can save a buck or what mod they ought to be sub-ohming on. That seams to be where the focus is at instead of how to make vaping as pleasant an experience as possible to make the change. I now have a bunch of crap on a shelf that I will at some point probably toss in the trash because it was bought trying to find a comfortable vaping experience to get and stay off smokes. I don't see anything cost cutting during that initial investment time and learning process actually quite the opposite. With that said the cost things was getting way out of hand here. So I ordered some new tank systems to eliminate loosing juice from excessive leaking issues. Last night while we were having the little pissing match I ordered some Kendo Vape Cotton, a ten pack each Triple Core Fused Clapton Coils 316L SS (28gx3 /36g) (30gx3 /38g), and 840 ml of Tmaxx's in a few flavors. Total out of pocket for the tanks and last nights orders about $160. That ought to hold me over for a couple of months at least until I see what I want to do with the vaping side of things. I can tell you I have no intentions of getting into this as a DIY hobbyist. Putting pre-wound coils in a velocity deck and wicking them is about it for me there. I don't see a big savings in DIY juicing either when I can buy an inexpensive, quality product, and the only time I will have involved in it is ordering and steeping.

I related that experience basically to make this point. The vaping community as a whole is locked into this vaping is Nirvana and the sky is full marshmallow clouds thing. There is a lot of advice being passed out on mods and juice. Not so much on practical application in regards to the new comer or smoker looking for an alternative. That part of a thread is pretty much left as an after thought.
I don't see anything cost cutting either... in fact I just got back home with yet another beautiful mech setup.

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
when I first quit the first few weeks especially I had two setups one with my usual 12mg, but I had another atty with 18mg in it, if I ever got a intense craving like you said with stress instead of picking up a cig I grapped that 18mg and vaped on it until I felt sick to my stomach...

I ended up upgrading fairly quick, sub ohm clearomizers were still pretty new I was vaping 9mg and kept 12mg for cravings...

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel a bit lucky. The first time I quit was when I signed up for the military, it was mandatory. Something my recruiter (who smoked) failed to mention to me. I found out literally the night before I left for the meps station and I made myself sick, smoked around 4 to 4.5 packs that night. I mean just chain smoked the hell out of them lighting the next one off the butt of the one I was putting out. A lot of us were smokers and needless to say we were in a foul mood because of going without. The blessing there was well, it was basic training and the ultimate stress relief as well as no means to break down and buy any for several months. Stupidly I started smoking again.

After 20 some years of heavy smoking, mostly pack a day then upwards of 2 packs a day my health determined I had to quit. Over the course of the last few years I smoked I had a nasty cough, constant sinus issues etc. I figured after all that time smoking 'just fine' it couldn't be the cigs. I was determined to smoke until the day I died. I saw doctors who suggested it was 'just allergies' and I tried every otc allergy pill and meds there were. Didn't help. My 'smokers cough' turned into a chronic cough and my throat was so sore I had difficulty functioning. Walk to the end of the driveway, start coughing. Laugh, start coughing. Had issues carrying on any lengthy conversation without coughing.

The coughing fits were bad, I pulled my back muscles a few times from the force of coughing and I was starting to suffer something I think called 'cough syncope'. I'd be sitting in a chair at the computer or on the couch watching tv in the evenings and cough so hard I couldn't stop long enough to catch my breath. It would fade to a wheezing and then the room would spin and I'd feel myself begin to pass out. Several times when I passed out and came back to again I found myself slumped over and my arm jerking like a small seizure. It was uncomfortable being around anyone and I certainly didn't want to deal with those symptoms while dating or anything. The smell of smoke on my clothes was the least of my concerns. No kidding, I seriously worried it was going to kill me.

I was prepared to just quit cold, my body physically couldn't tolerate smoking any longer. I'd tried vaping a couple times using an ecig (cigalike) sold in gas stations and compared to smoking thought they sucked. I decided to give them a shot, figuring what have I got to lose since obviously I can't smoke anyway. Vape pens (ego style) ended up working well, much better than cigalikes. I finally graduated to regulated mods and rta's when the ego pens weren't holding up. Was tired of burnt expensive factory coils, cracked tanks, cracked top caps/drip tips.

When I say I feel lucky, I wasn't just trying to quit smoking out of the blue or as part of a new years resolution. Health put me between a rock and a hard place and I really had no other option. If it'd been 8 or 10yrs into smoking when I still felt fine I'm sure I'd have fought it a lot harder. I don't envy those folks but I also don't wish anyone to feel as shitty as I did when I gave it up. Not to mention all the other embarrassing things like constantly spitting because of phlegm in the throat, wheezing and coughing when you're intimate with someone. Not sexy at all. Unable to watch a comedy in a movie theater for fear of laughing and going into an uncontrollable coughing fit in a crowded place. Sucked.

Around 1-2 weeks into vaping, maybe 3 tops for all those things to go away. No more spitting all the time, no more constantly irritated sinuses, sense of smell returned, able to hold a conversation or laugh without sounding like a damn tear gas victim. No more sore throat. No more sore abdomen muscles like someone got done using me as a punching bag. As a bonus my mom decided to quit along with me after over 40yrs of smoking and she doesn't cough like she used to either. So a little older and a little wiser maybe, having to learn the hard way and not sure why I picked the damn things up in the first place. This coming from someone who truly enjoyed smoking. I don't shame others who still smoke, it doesn't make sick to be around them but it definitely doesn't smell pleasant. I'm also not tempted to bum one off them, the desire's gone. Some have told me I've traded one habit for another so I haven't truly 'quit' but I feel a helluva lot better and even if it's not perfect it's a crapload better than the harm smoking did to me.

Anyone can quit if and when they're ready. Enough motivation and just about anything is possible, even if it takes some longer than others.

jjdell

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The cost of cigs here in Oz was a pretty big contributing factor in my decision to quit. When the rollie tobac i used hit $60 for a 50 gram pack, that was it.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The marathon approach always made me feel tired just from the very thought of it so I actually never tried it. But the human cannonball approach surely did the trick, and, therefore, that's what I'll recommend─just to lend you my new comparison.

Fair enough. I can see how you might have construed my earlier statement to mean that I thought it to be the only way to succeed. Actually my only real intent was to encourage one not to give up the race should they should stumble, Regardless of the method used, the end result is all that really matters yet I still believe that any cigarette NOT smoked is a step in the right direction.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I feel a bit lucky. The first time I quit was when I signed up for the military, it was mandatory. Something my recruiter (who smoked) failed to mention to me. I found out literally the night before I left for the meps station and I made myself sick, smoked around 4 to 4.5 packs that night. I mean just chain smoked the hell out of them lighting the next one off the butt of the one I was putting out. A lot of us were smokers and needless to say we were in a foul mood because of going without. The blessing there was well, it was basic training and the ultimate stress relief as well as no means to break down and buy any for several months. Stupidly I started smoking again.

After 20 some years of heavy smoking, mostly pack a day then upwards of 2 packs a day my health determined I had to quit. Over the course of the last few years I smoked I had a nasty cough, constant sinus issues etc. I figured after all that time smoking 'just fine' it couldn't be the cigs. I was determined to smoke until the day I died. I saw doctors who suggested it was 'just allergies' and I tried every otc allergy pill and meds there were. Didn't help. My 'smokers cough' turned into a chronic cough and my throat was so sore I had difficulty functioning. Walk to the end of the driveway, start coughing. Laugh, start coughing. Had issues carrying on any lengthy conversation without coughing.

The coughing fits were bad, I pulled my back muscles a few times from the force of coughing and I was starting to suffer something I think called 'cough syncope'. I'd be sitting in a chair at the computer or on the couch watching tv in the evenings and cough so hard I couldn't stop long enough to catch my breath. It would fade to a wheezing and then the room would spin and I'd feel myself begin to pass out. Several times when I passed out and came back to again I found myself slumped over and my arm jerking like a small seizure. It was uncomfortable being around anyone and I certainly didn't want to deal with those symptoms while dating or anything. The smell of smoke on my clothes was the least of my concerns. No kidding, I seriously worried it was going to kill me.

I was prepared to just quit cold, my body physically couldn't tolerate smoking any longer. I'd tried vaping a couple times using an ecig (cigalike) sold in gas stations and compared to smoking thought they sucked. I decided to give them a shot, figuring what have I got to lose since obviously I can't smoke anyway. Vape pens (ego style) ended up working well, much better than cigalikes. I finally graduated to regulated mods and rta's when the ego pens weren't holding up. Was tired of burnt expensive factory coils, cracked tanks, cracked top caps/drip tips.

When I say I feel lucky, I wasn't just trying to quit smoking out of the blue or as part of a new years resolution. Health put me between a rock and a hard place and I really had no other option. If it'd been 8 or 10yrs into smoking when I still felt fine I'm sure I'd have fought it a lot harder. I don't envy those folks but I also don't wish anyone to feel as shitty as I did when I gave it up. Not to mention all the other embarrassing things like constantly spitting because of phlegm in the throat, wheezing and coughing when you're intimate with someone. Not sexy at all. Unable to watch a comedy in a movie theater for fear of laughing and going into an uncontrollable coughing fit in a crowded place. Sucked.

Around 1-2 weeks into vaping, maybe 3 tops for all those things to go away. No more spitting all the time, no more constantly irritated sinuses, sense of smell returned, able to hold a conversation or laugh without sounding like a damn tear gas victim. No more sore throat. No more sore abdomen muscles like someone got done using me as a punching bag. As a bonus my mom decided to quit along with me after over 40yrs of smoking and she doesn't cough like she used to either. So a little older and a little wiser maybe, having to learn the hard way and not sure why I picked the damn things up in the first place. This coming from someone who truly enjoyed smoking. I don't shame others who still smoke, it doesn't make sick to be around them but it definitely doesn't smell pleasant. I'm also not tempted to bum one off them, the desire's gone. Some have told me I've traded one habit for another so I haven't truly 'quit' but I feel a helluva lot better and even if it's not perfect it's a crapload better than the harm smoking did to me.

Anyone can quit if and when they're ready. Enough motivation and just about anything is possible, even if it takes some longer than others.
:stars::stars2::hearts:

Great read. Thanks for sharing all that. 3 weeks in is miraculous for all those changes to present. That's really great!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:stars::stars2::hearts:

Great read. Thanks for sharing all that. 3 weeks in is miraculous for all those changes to present. That's really great!
It really was pretty astounding. I got sick of hearing 'quit smoking' so fluffed it off figuring it could have been any number of things aside from smoking. Maybe because I smoked for so long without issues I didn't figure it would suddenly start affecting me after 15 some years. Still not positive other than being a logical person I considered 'what changed' and fsc was all I could think of.

I was so miserable the last few years I smoked it really was amazing how much better I felt once I quit. Like well damn, why didn't I do this sooner?! Just the money I dumped on stuff like mucinex and other allergy and congestion pills I could have bought a really nice dna mod. The trip to my mailbox (around 100yds away) no longer makes me wheeze. The feeling of having a persistent cold disappeared and my voice isn't as gravelly as it was. It must have been hell on my throat and vocal cords coughing so bad constantly.

Maybe one of the hardest things was admitting once I quit smoking was that everyone who said 'you should quit' or 'smoking's bad for you' were right. Might not effect everyone to the extremes it affected me but if people are looking to quit and ready to make the leap through vaping, more power to them. I'd rather they make better choices from my bad ones than to have to go through feeling like I did. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

VU Sponsors