What to build with 26g kanthal, no drill?

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by twan013, Sep 3, 2017.

1. twan013

twan013 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I've got an itch to work on a build, but am kind of limited since I don't have a drill. I've got a fresh spool of 26g kanthal. I'm thinking about either a quad coil build or dual vertical on a velocity deck.

Has anyone tried a quad vertical build on a velocity style deck? I've seen a video of a guy putting two coils on each side, one on top of the other. But I was thinking about having the coils in a square configuration. I just wonder if I will have problems with the leads touching and shorting out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Klayton86 likes this.
  2. Klayton86

Klayton86 New Member

Blog Posts:
    How about a regular twisted build/ coil?

3. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Parallel wire builds work nice.

r055co, 5150sick and Klayton86 like this.
  4. Klayton86

Klayton86 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yep, these were my go-to' s before I got my drill and went down that rabbit hole.... parallel is a great build as well. And no drill needed, just maybe some pliers and coiling jig, driver, or drill bit

The Cromwell likes this.
  5. twan013

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I currently have dual parallel 24g in there. I really like it. I may try to twist a couple up and see how they turn out. I'll figure up a handheld jig to make sure the twists are even

The Cromwell likes this.
  6. Klayton86

Klayton86 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Do you want a specific ohms ?
    Or..... I watched a guy take an ink pen and place his wire (at the bend was at the halfway point of his length of 24g Ka1,) in the clip that holds the pen in a pocket and just make circles with the pen hand until the wire broke, and woila! Twisted wire .. I still think the twisted wire are better when done by hand, but this is subjective

7. champton

champton Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    You could try sleepers. I've been wanting to work on mine for a while now that I'm out of SS wire for my claptons. They're pretty wicked as far as standard coil builds go.

8. twan013

Blog Posts:
    I don't see how a sleeper would benefit over a standard two wire build. Sure I get the single piece of continuous wire, but when you crimp the two leads in the same hole, does it not give the same result?

9. champton

Blog Posts:
    You don't put any 2 leads through the same hole. It's a 3-post build. Both coils use the same positive lead because you're wrapping 2 coils with 1 piece of wire. You basically take a longer piece of wire (one long enough for 2 coils), wrap your first coil, stick your longest lead through the positive post and your shorter lead through the negative post, then you use the long positive lead to wrap the other coil and stick your other negative lead through the other negative post. It's technically one coil split off into two. Since you're using the same positive lead for both coils, you don't have shorting issues. That's its biggest benefit. It'll work on a 4-post as well though. I've used these coils on my 4-post Mason 24mm RDA.

I've tried this with twisted coils as well, and it seems to work better than just wrapping 2 twisted coils separately. Seems to taste better as well. It won't beat a specialty coil of course, but without a drill, this seems to be a good way to get good taste, minimize shorting issues and get an even glow without too much effort.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  10. twan013

Blog Posts:
    Ended up twisting some together, 5 wraps at 3mm, 0.24ohms. All's I can say is.. yup. Very satisfied! So simple yet so tasty and cloudy!

EMusic likes this.
  11. twan013

Blog Posts:
    Dumb question time! What would happen if one were to try this on a velocity deck? The basic intent is a quad vertical build (this on both sides of the posts). I'm assuming this is a no no because that piece of wire between the coils would overheat and snap. [​IMG]

12. champton

Blog Posts:
    I'm not really sure. Never tried this in an RDA like that. That looks a lot like the rebuildable deck on my TFV8, which I could never get working properly. (The tank would leak like a sieve.) I'm used to working with 3 and 4 posters. Plus I've never built a vertical coil before.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  13. twan013

Blog Posts:
    It's a velocity style deck. Two post, two grub screws on each side. Supposedly one of the easiest decks to build on. It's all I have at the moment, until I get my goon clone from China

14. champton

Blog Posts:
    Velocitys are supposed to be real good I've heard. Probably not much different from the RDA decks I'm used to working with. I'm sure the TFV8 is a good tank also, it's just that I suck at building on it, LOL!

Just kinda leery of telling you that the build you pictured will work for sure, but then again I'm probably getting all Safety Fred on you for nothing.