Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
gyhyqybe.jpg

That the right stuff?
The stuff in the bag is 100% Cotton. The 100% Rayon is only available in the 500 ft box. I just bought some at a Sally's Beauty Supply store and looked at all of the packages and boxes for the correct material.

Nu2Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last night I bought a box of 100% Rayon (only available in the 500ft box) and rewicked a TOBH 26650 atomizer in dual coil and the Novice single coil. There is a tremendous difference in wicking capabilities between organic cotton and the rayon. Just before getting the dry hit, I stopped and looked at the wick padding and with the Rayon, it is dry everywhere except for the small portion inside the coils for both attys. With cotton, the wick padding would be wet inside and around the coil for a few of millimeters then some "looks like dry" spots around the rest of the padding. Padding the rayon wick through and under the coils on the TOBH 26650 atty found that it would hold about 50 drops of fluid before filling up near the edge of the bowl which makes for a long vape time.

On a side note (this may be common but this is the first time I've noticed it), I noticed that the wicking cotton I had in both attys WERE threaded through the coils, but when I pulled them for changeout, both cottons had either separated inside the coils or were burned away, leaving the inside of the coils empty. Depending on how wicks are configured, this could result in NO liquid contact with the coils or at most, minimal contact. I'm going to look at the rest of my attys to see if this has happened and may change wicking configurations to a wicking bed underneath the coil instead of a pass-through. I will also be watching the rayon wicks to see if separation occurs here as well. I'll be posting this section under a different topic as well.

Chip Chipperson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just bought some cellucotton yesterday.. very excited to see what the hype is about!

I heard it reduces the gunk buildup.. which is huge since I all i mainly use is Vanilla Custard and it goes through regular cotton balls so god damn quick!

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That the right stuff?
That's cotton.
The rayon is rayon.
That's the problem with using the term Cellucoton because it's the name not the material.
The Cellucotton comes in 100% cotton like you have there. It also comes in a cotton/rayon mix. And it also comes in 100% rayon.
So what you have there is the cotton and not the rayon.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only use the rayon and that stuff is great in all my ATTYs including my subohm builds.
Love the stuff!!

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Edit: I'm so slow.

Another vote for rayon (cellucotton). I've been using it for a couple of weeks, definitely wicks much quicker than cotton. My wicks are lasting longer, about 70-80 ml of juice (clear fruit flavoured).

Cloud79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just switched to 100% rayon cellucotton. I've only tried this in my tobh so far. Immediately noticed huge differences. Swells much less so the liquid stays lower in the reservoir, comparing this to cotton. Holds more liquid and wicks easier as well as produce a little more vapor and more pure of a flavor.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Koh gen do in my drippers and organic cotton in the kayfun
Deal on VaporJoe's for this!

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just re wicked with peaches and cream cotton yarn. It's the undyed stuff at walmart. I didn't boil it since I read varying opinions and was being lazy. It wicks very well, and is easy as hell to work with compared to organic cotton balls.

It has great flavor on the inhale, but I taste a bit of something on the exhale. I think I'm gonna boil some and dry. Never did with organic cotton balls, and this stuff isn't treated from my research, but I think it needs a boil.

If it doesn't help I'm definitely gonna get some organic cotton yarn at a craft store, I'm digging the ease of wicking, and the quality of vape, just gotta get that small hint of taste out.

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just re wicked with peaches and cream cotton yarn. It's the undyed stuff at walmart. I didn't boil it since I read varying opinions and was being lazy. It wicks very well, and is easy as hell to work with compared to organic cotton balls.

It has great flavor on the inhale, but I taste a bit of something on the exhale. I think I'm gonna boil some and dry. Never did with organic cotton balls, and this stuff isn't treated from my research, but I think it needs a boil.

If it doesn't help I'm definitely gonna get some organic cotton yarn at a craft store, I'm digging the ease of wicking, and the quality of vape, just gotta get that small hint of taste out.
I used this stuff and still do sometimes in small rebuildables. That taste totally goes away after vaping a couple ml through it. I found absolutely no difference before/after boiling it. I prefer organic cotton now, a couple puffs and the cotton taste is gone. :)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I used this stuff and still do sometimes in small rebuildables. That taste totally goes away after vaping a couple ml through it. I found absolutely no difference before/after boiling it. I prefer organic cotton now, a couple puffs and the cotton taste is gone. :)
Thanks for the input. I had heard the same, and someone emailed the manufacturer as well, and it was untreated cotton as per them. I used the standard kayfun wicking procedure this time with a slanted coil so I could do the tucks onto the deck as shown in most builds, and the manual even. I did use the same amount of yarn as cotton. No dry hits or leaking and it's hitting like a champ, but would a bit more wick be prudent here? The yarn is 4 strand, I will choke if I double up, it's perfectly sized for my coil. I'm thinking more at the ends and maybe unravel some strands of the yarn?

I did just boil a bunch, so I'll re wick and see for shits and giggles after this tank. The taste hasn't disappeared yet, but I haven't vaped it too much. We will see. I hope it works out, or I'm gonna have to find some other yarn. I don't like silica, and organic cotton has no taste to me without even boiling, I just have the toughest time consistently wicking with it. I know exactly how and what to do, I just tend to get some burnt initial hits. I either am not leaving enough on the deck, or am choking the coil a bit.

As I said, with a tiny micro coil, for me it's difficult working with cotton balls, and this thread is just so damn easy. I wanna stick with cotton, too.

Last edited:

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the input. I had heard the same, and someone emailed the manufacturer as well, and it was untreated cotton as per them. I used the standard kayfun wicking procedure this time with a slanted coil so I could do the tucks onto the deck as shown in most builds, and the manual even. I did use the same amount of yarn as cotton. No dry hits or leaking and it's hitting like a champ, but would a bit more wick be prudent here? The yarn is 4 strand, I will choke if I double up, it's perfectly sized for my coil. I'm thinking more at the ends and maybe unravel some strands of the yarn?

I did just boil a bunch, so I'll re wick and see for shits and giggles after this tank. The taste hasn't disappeared yet, but I haven't vaped it too much. We will see. I hope it works out, or I'm gonna have to find some other yarn. I don't like silica, and organic cotton has no taste to me without even boiling, I just have the toughest time consistently wicking with it. I know exactly how and what to do, I just tend to get some burnt initial hits. I either am not leaving enough on the deck, or am choking the coil a bit.

As I said, with a tiny micro coil, for me it's difficult working with cotton balls, and this thread is just so damn easy. I wanna stick with cotton, too.
In tanks I find it takes a while longer to lose the taste for some reason. As for burnt hits, that's gonna take some trial and error on your end to get your wicking right for your setup. Every material wicks differently so what works for say cotton balls will not necessarily work for cotton yarn. Good luck. :)

And yes, sometimes I unravel and layer on a couple extra strands to make it 6ply instead of 4. Depends on my coil size.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
In tanks I find it takes a while longer to lose the taste for some reason. As for burnt hits, that's gonna take some trial and error on your end to get your wicking right for your setup. Every material wicks differently so what works for say cotton balls will not necessarily work for cotton yarn. Good luck. :)

And yes, sometimes I unravel and layer on a couple extra strands to make it 6ply instead of 4. Depends on my coil size.
Cool. Using in a kayfun and went through a partially filled tank. Chain vaping! It still tastes a bit wonky, but it's a flavor and brand I've never tried, too. Good taste, but new, I do,think it's the cotton yarn, though. I might re full with something I've tried so I can get a better idea of wether it's the yarn or juice.

And to clarify, I've had flawless performance first try with ease on the yarn, it's cotton balls I tend to fuck up. The yarn is just the taste. I have boiled yarn almost dry, so I'll probably partial fill again with a known flavor and if it persists, try some boiled wick. Again, inhale is great, just exhale has a bit of a cotton taste. I shall persevere! Thanks again!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool. Using in a kayfun and went through a partially filled tank. Chain vaping! It still tastes a bit wonky, but it's a flavor and brand I've never tried, too. Good taste, but new, I do,think it's the cotton yarn, though. I might re full with something I've tried so I can get a better idea of wether it's the yarn or juice.

And to clarify, I've had flawless performance first try with ease on the yarn, it's cotton balls I tend to fuck up. The yarn is just the taste. I have boiled yarn almost dry, so I'll probably partial fill again with a known flavor and if it persists, try some boiled wick. Again, inhale is great, just exhale has a bit of a cotton taste. I shall persevere! Thanks again!
No problem! One thing to consider, if you haven't already, is that every ejuice has a different viscosity. So a 70PG/30VG say will wick way faster than an 80VG/20PG. I make all my liquid 100% VG so I don't need to worry about changing my wicking setup when I change flavors. In other words, one juice may leak, another may give dry hits on the exact same setup.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Gotcha. I knew about that but never even considered that in my issues... Doh. It's actually tasting a bit better filled with a liquid I can ADV on. Might have been the juice, or the break in. I'll try boiled wick next. Why not.

Also, I have some high VG fogger juice recommended for dripping. I could put that in my Kayfun, right? I've done 100% VG before, this just says it's for drippers.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just re-wicked my Fogger v4 with Tencel fiber.

It's a 1 ohm DC build, I had been using cotton, but decided to try the Tencel fiber for giggles.
Used the method where ya shove big wicks in there, hold them up, put the chimney tube on and cut em and then push down towards the channels. IDK what that is called.

Used my little folded 33 gauge wire to get the stuff through the coils, then put the chimney tube on and snipped 'em level with it. Stuff is wirey as hell, but I managed to get it down in there until I didn't see any light leaks from the channels.

NUJDDoIl.jpg

AOCfrzQl.jpg

It's working nicely so far. :)

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using braided silica for a couple months now. Much better flavor versus mesh.

Went to Walmart today looking for cellucotton, couldn't find any. Anyone know for sure if they do have it?

I picked up cotton instead. Do I need to boil (or prep some other way) first?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So, I boiled the walmart peaches and cream yarn, and as was said, still has a taste on the exhale, but it seems to go away, just takes a bit. I've been re wicking like crazy since I got this yarn, since it's soooo much easier for me to work with. I wish I took a picture of my newest wick I just did, I thought the photo I found was posted on here, but it's not. I gotta find the pic, or take one next time.

Basically, I did the usual textbook kayfun "S tuck" I'll call it, but I left enough on the tails to loop over the post screws, and tuck gently to the deck on the other side. I wet the wick, positioned it away from the channels, and assembled. It seemed like too much, but I trusted the pic I saw and said fuck it. So far no leaks, which I am concerned about since I used more than usual, no gurgling either, so that's good. It's been a good half hour both vaping it and standing up, even held it horizontally with the airflow down, and no gurgles. I think I'm safe.

Anyway, hopefully the cotton taste on exhale goes away soon, because this build is just spitting out clouds for a kayfun. The inhale flavor is very intense in a good way. I'm blown away right now. I'm tempted to say this is the best wicking method I've tried as of yet, but it's too soon to commit to that statement. She'll leak on me if I do, damn temperamental kayfuns...

I have some samples of max VG juice which had me searching for new techniques, hence finding this method. Using 60/40 VG pg now, I'll try some max VG again later, and maybe it'll work, too.

Again, I'll either find or take a pic. This is a wick setup worth trying I'd say.

Edit for the pic I referenced from... I did a bit of a modification, since I placed my coil horizontally, but this is the general idea. I'll snap pics still next build.
ae5cfd45c2bc7f16dddce851e5535827.jpg

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
0a1dd42bb6e9d07efd45fe97458caa4e.jpg

So here's my handiwork. It did flood briefly while driving for work today, but it's hot, and that happens. It wicks so quick that I also have noticed I need to take lighter draws, even than normal with a kayfun. I think drawing hard brings up so much liquid that it might have gone back into the airflow, and gave the leak. I recommend trying this out. I can describe better if interested. My other tank I wicked this way yesterday still hasn't flooded, so we will see. It's SOOO easy to do.

VU Sponsors