Become a Patron!

What's the real difference between authentic and clone?

So I'm looking for some new vape gear and I'm stuck on the Sigelie moonshot and the diablo RTA. The diablo authentic is around $70 (everywhere I can find it) but the clone is around 15, and an authentic moonshot is around 30-40$. So what's the real difference between them?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe I've read that the clone Diablos are good - I had one in my shopping cart for a while!

Ya the only thing is I can't find a 5ml clone. Might just buy the clone and wait for the moonshot price to drop idk.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya the only thing is I can't find a 5ml clone. Might just buy the clone and wait for the moonshot price to drop idk.
Now I remember, apparently they all say 2ml (DIablo), but if you look at the pics you can often see that it's actually the 5ml one - it has a longer chimney! I'm pretty sure it was raymo who was talking about this!

Im fairly new, also, and an waiting for a moonshot to arrive from fuggin in Miami. Which is a whole other story. I'm also waiting on a haze RDA clone which should be coming today. Since I'm new, I'll buy clones all day long... Lol...I figure, the builds I'm putting in are crap anyway, since I need practice, so why bother buy authentic.
It'd be like buying a Rolls Royce and filing it with regular unleaded.
If I can grab 3 or 4 RDAs to practice building on, with the same amount of money that a single authentic would cost, I'm in. I haven't developed the "purist" attitude yet... Lol

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The price that some of these attys run is a bit much if you ask me. Some clones are good and some are not. I only own one clone and its the Tobeco Velocity clone which is a really good clone IMO. I actually have a second Velocity clone on the way along with a Boreas which is not a clone. I don't mind dropping up to 50 on any atty as long as its good but attys that are closer to a hundred just seems like a lot. It just doesn't feel right to spend more on the atty than I did on my mods.

Argie3

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, a clone's durability is questionable. Machining is nowhere near the real deal and most of the times you will find oil residues...
On the other hand, as original atties tend to be expensive, it may be good idea to purchase a clone and see whether it is good for you. If yes, then without hesitation you can go for the original, provided it is within your budget.
Personally, I have ordered a goon rda clone and see whether the clamp deck is convenient for me, as the build capabilities of this atty are unquestionable...

bluedodger

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well, a clone's durability is questionable. Machining is nowhere near the real deal and most of the times you will find oil residues...
On the other hand, as original atties tend to be expensive, it may be good idea to purchase a clone and see whether it is good for you. If yes, then without hesitation you can go for the original, provided it is within your budget.
Personally, I have ordered a goon rda clone and see whether the clamp deck is convenient for me, as the build capabilities of this atty are unquestionable...
Amen. I have actually gotten into arguments with people who think Fastech or Amazon clones are okay. They are not. We are talking the lowest grade materials and the ones with built in batteries, no way the lithium purity is decent. There are 600 factories in Shenzhen and most of them are doing knockoffs. I think clones are a black mark. Everytime one of these pieces of junk blows up, we all look bad.

Argie3

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Amen. I have actually gotten into arguments with people who think Fastech or Amazon clones are okay. They are not. We are talking the lowest grade materials and the ones with built in batteries, no way the lithium purity is decent. There are 600 factories in Shenzhen and most of them are doing knockoffs. I think clones are a black mark. Everytime one of these pieces of junk blows up, we all look bad.

Well, as I wrote there are times where a clone serves a purpose and personally I don't exclude the possibility of purchasing one. As a matter of fact I have already ordered one for a mere 10euro.
If I like it then I will go for the real one which in my case with shipping from UK to Greece will cost over 100euro. Trust you agree it's very frustrating to pay 100euros and only after that to realize that the item concerned is not really for you...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wouldn't get the moonshot, unless you're good at building or have a lot of patience. I youre looking for a good, easy to build on dual coil rta I would consider the billowv3 for dual coil, with good flavor and direct lung.
if youre looking for single coil, mouth to ling, the hurricane is really nice.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sometimes clones are the only real option due to lack of authentic availability (i.e. the Velocity). And sometimes they are more within someone's budget. The biggest downside as many have stated is that some clones are just very poorly made. If something only costs $10 shipped, you really have to wonder. I like to buy the authentics when I can mainly so the original designer gets payed.
Having said that, I do have a couple Velocity clones. My Tobeco version has been phenomenal. I think I payed $20-25. I have another one that was about half the price, and it shows. The grub screws and O rings are crap. My clones are always stainless. I mainly worry about the paints used and the application process to keep the prices down.

Precision

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Chiming in.
I have 6 haze mini's. 2 authentic. 4 cloned. The clones were the higher priced ones out of all on fasttech and came with the black cap... besides the top cap material difference. My authentic decks vs clone decks quality wise is identical. They perform identical. Most vendors have got better at posting actual item pictures and an experienced vapor can usually tell the quality right away. My tobecco mini velocity that has just been sitting is far superior in quality than most of my mutation series authentics which every one started chipping paint within a week. Just be weary of how low you talk about "ALL" clones being trash and black market. You go from downgrading all rda clones being scrap metal slop and then right on too lipo battery mod mislabeling and yada yada yada.... if im going to spend 70-125 for any kind of atomizer, I am going to spend money on a solid clone of it first to make sure I enjoy the *Vape* first. Alot of folks need to change there view on vapers in general. Everyone likes different things and as long as we are vaping and not on the analogs embrace the fact we all have so many options in this hobby.

zdawk

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think @Precision nailed it.... If I had an endless flow of money, yea I'd buy authentic's all day long, but the fact is I can't afford to. So I'm going to try out a few atty's and see how I like them before I shell out a load of cash on something. In my experience it's hit or miss on quality. the only quality authentic I've ever been blown away on is my Big Rig- Roughneck Hybrid, but I also paid a retarded about for it, only to find out that my world was the same as before I bought it.. So I buy clones to see how I like the design, some of them are a little cheap, but as @Precision said, some authentic's are pretty cheeply manufactured too.. I think, as with most things in life, you're going to get what you pay for. But generic's have their place and purpose.

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's your money. Buy what you want. Most rda clones are ok. Sounded like dodger was talking mods. Never bought clone mod so....

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Someone nailed this above. The machining on a lot of the clones I have seen are inferior to the authentics. Some clones are good though. Now the Velocity has no authentic. Get the Ivogo or the Tobeco. But the grub screws will need replacing at one point. Mark my words. I don't have issues with clones per say. However I made the mistake of buying a Twisted clone anbd the center constantly got loose. I bought a few clone mods and they were no where near the quality of the authentic however the Slug I bought was very nice. I have the Haze clone - I will not drop a 100 dollars for the authentic. The Haze clone is actually quite good. The Pico clone is quite good too. However anything 70 dollars or lower that is authentic - well I'll take it over a clo0ne any day. The authentic Diablo is affordable - it is just near impossible to find.

So buy a clone if you like. Just buyer beware and all.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
if you want a tank, with a good mouth to lung experience, why not go for say a billow v35$ authentic. inexpensive enough to not have to worry about a clone.

emsvapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Spring for the moonshot completely worth it

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors