Become a Patron!

What's up with the funk of new premade coils?

Soundslikesight

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I just got in my new sense hydra and have been trying to plow through the funky awful new coil taste with the hope that this thing can give great flavor. I remember Atlantis coils used to have a nasty funk that would go away after a quarter tank but I've been through a full tank in this and it's only slightly diminished.
I'm guessing this is just the natural funk of "organic cotton" but why the hell is it tolerated? I've never had a kanger coil that needed breaking in and the first hit has always been the best tasting on a new coil.
The first time I built on an rda with oc it had the same awful so I picked up some cotton bacon v2 and it is perfect from the first drip.
I rarely see this brought up and I'm wondering if this is endemic to every other prebuilt coil aside from kanger?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nope. I break mine in by slowly raising the wattage over a series of 10-15 toots.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you clean the tank well first? Boil and or alcohol dip it? It could be left over machine oil from the manufacturing process in the tank and not the coil.

Soundslikesight

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes sir, always the first thing I do with a new tank. The flavor did end up finally coming through but it took an ungodly amount of time. I've only used kanger subtanks for awhile now because they were the only coil which tasted great from the get go. However I like new things too damn much. I'm hoping that the long ass break in will be made worth it by the coils lasting 2-3 weeks. I'm used to horizontal occ coils and am not surprised at getting 2 days from a bad batch of coils.
I do wonder how kanger is able to eliminate that cotton funk though? I'm guessing the flavor is residual natural plant matter in the cotton, which would also explain why cotton bacon v2 tastes so good. (Pure pharmaceutical grade cotton).
For anyone who hasn't tried cotton bacon v2, I can't reccomend it enough. I know there are some gimmicky products on the market, in fact the v1 cotton bacon was apparently just that, but this stuff is leaps and bounds better than koh gen do. I'm kinda curious about the fiber freaks cellulose wick as well. Although I can't imagine the flavor being better than what I'm using, I'd be curious to hear from anyone that's used either of the 2 densities.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cotton bacon is good stuff, I've gotten a couple packs from a mod envy win and like it. I also like the el cheapo Japanese cotton pads, for $7 for a 200 count, it lasts a long time and the flavor is perfect after 2 toots.

adamwineguy

Founder, 10 Vape Commandments
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The funk varies with the type of metal too. kanthal, nickel and titanium all give off different flavors of funk while you're breaking em in

VU Sponsors