Become a Patron!

Where do I even start ?

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I'm finally thinking of getting a squonker of some kind.
The big problem though is I've never used a squonker and have zero clue where to start!

I had considered getting a Council of Vapor Wraith Kit.
But like I said zero clues on where to start.
Is that a good kit?
Do I even need to get a kit?
Please seriously I need help here...Cheers!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
As a long-time squonker, my best advice is to skip kits - have yet to see one where these proprietary atties vape worth a shit, lol

With that said, many of regulated squonkers come with atties. If you get one that comes with an attie, would really, strongly advise you to get a separate bf attie

What are your requirements, btw? Chip, minimum wattage, etc?

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a long-time squonker, my best advice is to skip kits - have yet to see one where these proprietary atties vape worth a shit, lol
I'll keep that in mind.
I watched a couple YouTube videos on the Wraith and decided to look elsewhere already!

With that said, many of regulated squonkers come with atties. If you get one that comes with an attie, would really, strongly advise you to get a separate bf attie
Yep keeping that in mind as I look for stuff.

What are your requirements, btw? Chip, minimum wattage, etc?
I'd prefer something that is regulated.
I vape at between 16 watts (on my MTL stuff) up to 32 watts (for most of my sub-ohm stuff)
About the only thing I go higher than 32 watts on is my Innokin Crios & my IJOY RDTA BOX MINI.
I like those at around 45 watts.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Basically, for off-the-shelf, easy to buy in the US, your choices are fairly limited but there is more now than a year ago

Yes, I own all of these, except the DB2, which I used to own but pif'd to a friend

On the very inexpensive side, single battery, you have Kanger's Dripbox 2, or Hcigar's Vt75 Inbox or the Wraith. Wraith falls apart quickly. Between the first two, I personally prefer the Inbox - just because it's super easy to use. The side squonk doesn't bother me, but some prefer front squonk. I just don't care for how fidgety the kanger chip is. The one I have likes to try to jump into TC mode, which I do not use.

For double battery squonkers, you have the Kanger 160, the Geekvape Gbox or the Lost Vape Drone.

Of those three, I like the Geekvape best - once again, just easier to use over the Kanger. They use the same bottles and the bottles are positioned almost exactly the same. Not a big fan of the Drone - the position of the squonk bottle is inadequate and the stock bottle seriously blows for such a not-so-cheap mod. The chip in it rocks though, lol

There are a few other regulated squonks available direct from the modders or that have been long discontinued (Halcyon, Steam Crave and VaporFlask) so not really worth mentioning.

As for bf atties, I'd recommend looking at what you are vaping now and see what is similar or if what you already like is friendly to being squonkified :)

You can look to Europe and/or FB for other regulated squonkers that are not readily available off the shelf, and few are affordable. And for the record, I can't give them a thumbs up or down, because don't own any nor have I ever vaped any of them

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically, for off-the-shelf, easy to buy in the US, your choices are fairly limited but there is more now than a year ago
Damn it this is 1 of the things I was worried about.

Yes, I own all of these, except the DB2, which I used to own but pif'd to a friend
Piffing = Awesome
On the very inexpensive side, single battery, you have Kanger's Dripbox 2, or Hcigar's Vt75 Inbox or the Wraith. Wraith falls apart quickly. Between the first two, I personally prefer the Inbox - just because it's super easy to use. The side squonk doesn't bother me, but some prefer front squonk. I just don't care for how fidgety the kanger chip is. The one I have likes to try to jump into TC mode, which I do not use.
I gave up on Kanger products after having to toss 3 of their toptanks.I told myself "NEVER EVER AGAIN"
My 3 issues with the inbox.
#1 And this is a big issue DNA chips do not have reverse battery protection.
#2 Looks odd but I could get over that so long as it functions well
#3 Price is a bit high for me if it came with a tank I might consider it though.
What do you mean the Wraith falls apart easily?
Like literally?

For double battery squonkers, you have the Kanger 160, the Geekvape Gbox or the Lost Vape Drone.
Doubt I'd need a double battery mod anytime soon.
Of those three, I like the Geekvape best - once again, just easier to use over the Kanger. They use the same bottles and the bottles are positioned almost exactly the same. Not a big fan of the Drone - the position of the squonk bottle is inadequate and the stock bottle seriously blows for such a not-so-cheap mod. The chip in it rocks though, lol
I took a quick look at those and of the 3 I thought the Geekvape 1 looked the best.

There are a few other regulated squonks available direct from the modders or that have been long discontinued (Halcyon, Steam Crave and VaporFlask) so not really worth mentioning.
Rule # 15 Never buy second hand.You'll wind up with 3 times more trouble and 1 hell of a headache!

As for bf atties, I'd recommend looking at what you are vaping now and see what is similar or if what you already like is friendly to being squonkified
Love my Innokin iSub G & Innokin Axiom.
Mostly I'm into tanks I have seen a few RDA that I'd be willing to give a shot at though.
I'll hook you up with a YouTube video at the end of all this to show you the 1 I'm interested in.

You can look to Europe and/or FB for other regulated squonkers that are not readily available off the shelf, and few are affordable. And for the record, I can't give them a thumbs up or down, because don't own any nor have I ever vaped any of them
I doubt I'd ever buy anything from FB ever again.Except of course for Five Folds Carnival...Which is well worth the hassle!

Below is the video I mentioned earlier.

That thing looks super easy to use.And it comes with a BF/Squonking Pin.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
#1 And this is a big issue DNA chips do not have reverse battery protection.

the DNA 75 does - according to the maker, Evolve

#3 Price is a bit high for me if it came with a tank I might consider it though.

Topper that comes with it is called the Maze - it doesn't completely suck, but it is nothing special

What do you mean the Wraith falls apart easily?
Like literally?

Yes - I ended up with three of these (don't ask, lol) one I traded early on. The other two both had this issue: the door on the bottom that keeps the battery and the bottle in place literally begins to come unglued from the frame of the mod - others have also had this happen

While I love the feel of the Wraith in the hand and how it squonks, it is put together shitty. Also, the chip in it is hard to figure out

Here is another regulated squonk - but I know nothing about it except what the manufacturer says on FT

https://www.fasttech.com/search?squonk dna

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the DNA 75 does - according to the maker, Evolve
I have lost faith in Evolve over the years.
Topper that comes with it is called the Maze - it doesn't completely suck, but it is nothing special
Could you link me up.
I could only find just the mod.

Yes - I ended up with three of these (don't ask, lol) one I traded early on. The other two both had this issue: the door on the bottom that keeps the battery and the bottle in place literally begins to come unglued from the frame of the mod - others have also had this happen
While I love the feel of the Wraith in the hand and how it squonks, it is put together shitty. Also, the chip in it is hard to figure out
Here is another regulated squonk - but I know nothing about it except what the manufacturer says on FT
https://www.fasttech.com/search?squonk dna
Nice big list there TYVM!

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@JuicyLucy was looking through the offerings at Fasttech and came across a squonk-tank.
Now I'm super confused.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10013829/7077700

7077700-8.jpg

It seems to me that a tank and squonking would cancel each other out.I mean wouldn't the e-liquid in the tank just drain back into the squonk bottle?
Am I missing something here??
Like I said super confused...Cheers!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Oh, the Gaia

The squonk pin runs through the top of the chamber, and the juice falls into the tank. It does not suck back down into the bottle like most (not all) BF atties

The Gaia RDTA vapes a lot like the OG Velocity - the air flow options are very similar

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, the Gaia

The squonk pin runs through the top of the chamber, and the juice falls into the tank. It does not suck back down into the bottle like most (not all) BF atties

The Gaia RDTA vapes a lot like the OG Velocity - the air flow options are very similar
Alright that makes sense.
I take it that it vapes great?
I've only ever used 1 real dripper ever namely an (IGO-W2).Which I gave away a couple months ago.

1696601-2.jpg

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Alright that makes sense.
I take it that it vapes great?
I've only ever used 1 real dripper ever namely an (IGO-W2).Which I gave away a couple months ago.

1696601-2.jpg

I find it overly airy but a lot of folks love the Gaia - it's a matter of personal taste. Most who sing its praises are low ohm, dual coil vapers who like heat, which is not me.

As for the squonk function, it works quite well.

For single coil, above .5 ohms, the Hadaly is a real favorite of mine and many others. The ShenRay clone of the Hadaly is almost 1.1 The SXK clone is very mediocre, and misses the mark

The Mulciber (and the clone) are said to be comparable to the Nuppin, a privately designed a made atty that is no longer available new. Haven't tried the mulciber yet, but is on the list for next time I go squonk-shop crazy, lol, as I do love the Nuppin

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find it overly airy but a lot of folks love the Gaia - it's a matter of personal taste. Most who sing its praises are low ohm, dual coil vapers who like heat, which is not me.
Me either I prefer cool to warm vapes.

As for the squonk function, it works quite well.
Oh goody!

For single coil, above .5 ohms, the Hadaly is a real favorite of mine and many others. The ShenRay clone of the Hadaly is almost 1.1 The SXK clone is very mediocre, and misses the mark
That thing looks tiny I'd be worried it would be a bitch to get a coil in.
I'm sure it vapes great though but I'm worried about ease of use.
I'm seriously thinking about that 1 from VandyVape.
That looks super easy to use especially with mesh.
The Mulciber (and the clone) are said to be comparable to the Nuppin, a privately designed a made atty that is no longer available new. Haven't tried the mulciber yet, but is on the list for next time I go squonk-shop crazy, lol, as I do love the Nuppin
I tried unsuccessfully to find either of those my google-fu must need more Chi or something...LMAO

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@JuicyLucy After watching Todd do a review on the Hadaly I think I might be able to deal with the clamp system it uses.However I'll probably stick to buying pre-built coils.
Now the only question becomes which coils to buy.
Or more importantly which coils to stay away from.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
@JuicyLucy After watching Todd do a review on the Hadaly I think I might be able to deal with the clamp system it uses.However I'll probably stick to buying pre-built coils.
Now the only question becomes which coils to buy.
Or more importantly which coils to stay away from.

Advancedvapesupply.com is where I get all my wire. Their coils are supposed to be great, I recommend them all the time and their prices are very good for premade coils made from premium wire.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Whoa I like the way that 1 looks even if it is teeny tiny and those screws are going to be a pain in the butt for me.
Have I mentioned I have severe nerve damage in both hands yet?
So the easier something is to use the happier I'll be in the long run.

They are supposed to be outstanding and versatile - definitely on my list to get. Have no clue if the clone is good or not. I think someone in the squonkers thread said it is comparable to the authentic, but can't remember who or if their opinion was credible or not

(Keep those painful fingers crossed - my RA is in remission and hope to keep it that way this time)

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Advancedvapesupply.com is where I get all my wire. Their coils are supposed to be great, I recommend them all the time and their prices are very good for premade coils made from premium wire.
Bookmarked.
Thank you so much for all your help it has been more than appreciated.
My current plan of action is to get the HCigar VT Inbox kit + a Hadaly & a VandyVape Mesh RDA.
I already know I'll be looking at a $100 + price tag to get everything at once.Which means saving and waiting.

Boy @f1r3b1rd was right this is a dark rabbit hole.

@JuicyLucy Again thank you for all your help and sending me on a new journey...Cheers!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Bookmarked.
My current plan of action is to get the HCigar VT Inbox kit + a Hadaly & a VandyVape Mesh RDA.
I already know I'll be looking at a $100 + price tag to get everything at once.Which means saving and waiting.

@JuicyLucy Again thank you for all your help and sending me on a new journey...Cheers!

Am desperate for squonking to go mainstream, lol

Progress has been made for sure, but a lot of companies are jumping on the bandwagon but they just don't understand it at all

The Vandy Vape is really popular right now - don't have one, but there are a lot of choices out there finally and many are squonking the hell out of it, lol

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Bookmarked.

It's a DEEP DARK HOLE....

But a good one :)

A nice thing is that you can print a nice mech squonkmod
BAM crew

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I'm finally thinking of getting a squonker of some kind.
The big problem though is I've never used a squonker and have zero clue where to start!

I had considered getting a Council of Vapor Wraith Kit.
But like I said zero clues on where to start.
Is that a good kit?
Do I even need to get a kit?
Please seriously I need help here...Cheers!
Catfish, at the other place makes impeccable squonk mods which should last a lifetime.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@JuicyLucy was looking through the offerings at Fasttech and came across a squonk-tank.
Now I'm super confused.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10013829/7077700

7077700-8.jpg

It seems to me that a tank and squonking would cancel each other out.I mean wouldn't the e-liquid in the tank just drain back into the squonk bottle?
Am I missing something here??
Like I said super confused...Cheers!
I have a Gaia, it's alright, but there are MUCH better attys at that price point. Like Lucy said, it's hard to beat a Hadaly. I haven't read a negative review of the Hadaly.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Am desperate for squonking to go mainstream, lol
Not sure that would be a good thing.
Try to imagine what an Innokin squonker would look like.
I love most of their line up especially their tanks.
But a squonker made by them might be a bit much to take mentally.
Progress has been made for sure, but a lot of companies are jumping on the bandwagon but they just don't understand it at all
You mean like the craziness that Kanger came up with?

DRIP-EZ_01-1.jpg

The Vandy Vape is really popular right now - don't have one, but there are a lot of choices out there finally and many are squonking the hell out of it, lol
It was something I was interested in but felt there wasn't enough of it available to even start.
At least not enough to keep me sane.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Like with a 3D printer?
Hmmm.
Where did my flashlight go?
Shapeways sells the printouts for a few of them, the contacts are easy to make from copper or silver sheets, add in a good 510 and bottle-- and you have yourself a good squonkmod

BAM crew

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Gaia, it's alright, but there are MUCH better attys at that price point. Like Lucy said, it's hard to beat a Hadaly. I haven't read a negative review of the Hadaly.
From what I'm seeing so far the best for me will probably be the VandyVape Mesh RDA.That thing looks so damn easy to use.The Hadaly looks easy too.
And every reviewer has said it was super easy to use so I'm in.Well as soon as I get the funds I'm in

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shapeways sells the printouts for a few of them, the contacts are easy to make from copper or silver sheets, add in a good 510 and bottle-- and you have yourself a good squonkmod

BAM crew
I think I'll stick to writing programs* and stay away from hardware.

*MOSTLY WoW ADDONS THESE DAYS*

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do not know him.
I wouldn't randomly e-mail a complete stranger.
Come on you should know me better than that by now...Cheers!
I don't know you at all. When buying an item from any vendor, emails work the best, although you can call too. I been self employed all my working life, since the invent of email, 50% of my business comes from total strangers, the other 50% from referrals and phone calls.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try to imagine what an Innokin squonker would look like.
I love most of their line up especially their tanks.
But a squonker made by them might be a bit much to take mentally.
Firstly let me clearly state yes I am in fact quoting myself.
Secondly when I call shit and it kind of happens it is way past time to run.

Innokin's first RDA.
I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts within 3 months they will make a squonker.
That being said just remember I called this shit first and it will happen...Now start frigging running!

VU Sponsors