Become a Patron!

Where do the watts of a vape come from?

I’m in the process of building a mod and the wattage ratings are a little bit confusing. Is the mod’s watts just basically the battery voltage multiplied by the current output? Does the coil resistance have something to do with this (i.e. coil draws 8 amps and when multiplied by 4.2v we get 33.6W)? Thanks!

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m in the process of building a mod and the wattage ratings are a little bit confusing. Is the mod’s watts just basically the battery voltage multiplied by the current output? Does the coil resistance have something to do with this (i.e. coil draws 8 amps and when multiplied by 4.2v we get 33.6W)? Thanks!
Watts = Amps x volts

The resistance of the coil doesn't directly affect the watts. Indirectly, the wattage requirement to heat a lower ohm coil is higher, a higher ohm coil with need less wattage in order to get it to the point of vaporizing your liquid.

Watts = Amps x volts

The resistance of the coil doesn't directly affect the watts. Indirectly, the wattage requirement to heat a lower ohm coil is higher, a higher ohm coil with need less wattage in order to get it to the point of vaporizing your liquid.
Okay, got it. But if there's a coil that draws x amps, it won't draw more current than x, so do mods have a constant current power supply?

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, got it. But if there's a coil that draws x amps won't draw more current than x, so do mods have a constant current power supply?
It depends on if it is a regulated mod or a mech mod that is going to draw straight from the battery.

I(current) = V/R

with a mech mod this is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!!!! your battery has a max current discharge. for example my vtc5a is rated for something like 25a, but in actuality is more of a 20a battery. so if I am running that on a mech mod and start pushing a battery past it's current rating my battery could very well explode. so say my VTC5A for example is a 3.6v and I have a .1ohm coil in my tank? Seems reasonable right? It isn't. That is a max continuous current of 36A, 11A over it's rating and probably closer to 16A over it's actual performance.

In a regulated mod this is not AS important as the chip will regulate all of these things for you. For instance on my DNA mod's I can go into the settings of the mod and set the amount of current I want pulled on each of the batteries. The chip will do most of the work for you.

It depends on if it is a regulated mod or a mech mod that is going to draw straight from the battery.

I(current) = V/R

with a mech mod this is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!!!! your battery has a max current discharge. for example my vtc5a is rated for something like 25a, but in actuality is more of a 20a battery. so if I am running that on a mech mod and start pushing a battery past it's current rating my battery could very well explode. so say my VTC5A for example is a 3.6v and I have a .1ohm coil in my tank? Seems reasonable right? It isn't. That is a max continuous current of 36A, 11A over it's rating and probably closer to 16A over it's actual performance.

In a regulated mod this is not AS important as the chip will regulate all of these things for you. For instance on my DNA mod's I can go into the settings of the mod and set the amount of current I want pulled on each of the batteries. The chip will do most of the work for you.
Alright, thanks for clearing things up!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your advice sucks.
Lower ohms doesn’t automatically mean more power is required and using 3.6v to calculate current in a mech is not the number to use.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your advice sucks.
Lower ohms doesn’t automatically mean more power is required and using 3.6v to calculate current in a mech is not the number to use.

Plus whenever I see someone say Resistance doesn't matter all I can think is they must be a Borg. Resistance always matters in a Mech or a Regulated device.

Nothing more dangerous than a self proclaimed expert........... :vino:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only way to accurately calculate wattage in a mech is to actually measure the voltage across the coil terminals while firing and then use ohms law to figure the rest. ie wattage and current by using the coil resistance as the constant.

Note: This method will only be valid for that coil resistance. Change the coil and everything changes.

Voltage at the coil terminal will depend on the battery being used and how hard it is being pushed. ie how much current is being drawn.

The safe way to figure current being drawn from battery without actually measuring the voltage at the coil terminals is to use 4V in your amps calculation.
this would give you a worst case situation to help keep you from causing a venting or generally bad things from happening.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off, belittling people who are only trying to help accomplishes nothing, especially when you are saying nothing to back up your insult, this person came to VU for help and advice and those that have theknowledge can share and help. So, are you guys going to back up your insults with facts or just waste this poor persons time reading insults?

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
wpid-resistance-is-not-futile.gif

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For regulated mods.
In theory a regulated mod will read the resistance of the coil and apply enough voltage to meet the wattage that you select.

Not when you set a Regulated MOD at 200 Watts and the coil is maybe 100W at best. You must never forget that some people just have no fucking idea what they are doing and never assume they understand how vaping works. More Power~!

scotty-u-need-more-power-35223874.png

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One of the things the really grinds my gears is these so called experts saying resistance doesn't matter. It always matters.

2wbrm0i.jpg

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First off, belittling people who are only trying to help accomplishes nothing, especially when you are saying nothing to back up your insult, this person came to VU for help and advice and those that have theknowledge can share and help. So, are you guys going to back up your insults with facts or just waste this poor persons time reading insults?

You contributed nothing at all genius. Well played.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You contributed nothing at all genius. Well played.
I wasn't trying to, you vast array of knowledge, but here we both are wasting this poor members time again with your idiocy.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

What kind of mod are you building?
Regulated or Mechanical?

Single or dual battery?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apparently all cannot just get along.
Why I appreciate the ignore function.
In life I choose those I associate with. ie my friends. And avoid those who are rude, mean, etc
Unfortunately the ignore function is required to try and achieve that same result on many/most all net boards.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors