Become a Patron!

Which brand VG are you experts using?

Nix

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just begun my DIY journey. I mix a few bottle of juice. But my vapor feels like a little thin compare to the premium juice I usually buy like ANML Looper, Unicorn's Milk. My mix are 20/80 PG/VG. I am using Essential Depot VG. Is there a trick to it? Or Am I using a bad brand VG?

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aspiring expert here.

That VG is fine, I've used it for 2 years and like it. If you ask a chef if there's a trick to making restaurant quality food they may chortle. It's a big question.

Quality of ingredients matter a lot, the mix or recipe is of course integral, and it must be mixed and steeped. That's 3 departments, all important, even though the recipes get most the attention in forums.

If there's a trick, it's to use the best ingredients, follow the recipe exactly, and let it steep before forming a (edit: final) opinion on the taste. Developing your own recipe to be comparable to one that's been through taste testing trials of large groups of people, mixed by someone who is paid to have flavors on their mind all day... that's a journey.

Develop your sensibility by following popular recipes, using no substitutes if possible so you can taste the author's intent, and connect the taste with their notes and feedback from the forum. My mixing shifted gears after mixing some HIC recipes and reading his "my notes on" the FA flavors used. Practically doubled my experience in a few days.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL.

Nobody asked about nic but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,there ya go.:p

I use Heartlandvapes VG.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If the vapor seems thin try cutting out the PG entirely. The only non-VG ingredient i use is the flavoring and the vapor is super thick & chewy. I like the Vaporstek VG nic base. I use organic VG from wholefoods ($17 for 470ml) for the rest and i enjoy it. On it's own it produces a sweet dense vapor. :D

SirErick

Member For 4 Years
I notice Essential Depot now has Soy derived VG. Is it cleaner then the regular stuff they sell? That's what I currently use and need to place an order.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I prefer palm, seems a bit sweeter and cleaner. You may prefer soy, won't know till you try :)

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Expert VG...

(The stuff bottled by) Liquid Barn is very sweet tasting, and it's a honey-like sweetness. Vaping it on its own, it's good and clean but, Sweet. Sweet as in "Not Neutural". Haven't noticed its taste coming through in mixes, but most of my mixes are already pretty sweet. I like it. If you're sweet on sweet you'll love it.

(The stuff bottled by) BCV is not as sweet. Actually has more of a chem-sweetness. Vaped on its own, it has a strange undertone, like...corn wrapped in wet cloth. Haven't noticed it affect my mixes, but I already tore through the 500 mls I bought and won't buy it again from BCV. Maybe just something off in the batch I got.

(The stuff bottled by) Nicotine River is pretty much identical tasting and vaping to the LB. Maybe a fraction of a fraction less sweet. On the bottle it says "derivative of palm oil", and is apparently branded "Musim Mas". Sounds very international. Whatever it is, it's cheap, works great, and is the only VG I use now.

Last edited:

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
The guys at BCV mentioned in a post a while back, I think it was here at VU, that their vg is palm based and sourced in the U.S.. I hadn't noticed anything strange tasting, but didn't try a vape stand alone. Next coils I rewick will check it out...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
New to DIY but I'm using VG, PG, and nicotine from Nicotine River, and have been pleased with it.

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In terms of thinkness. Welp...someone might correct me. But yeah you 20/80 ratio should be fine. Some of the labeled "primium" bottle occasionally sit at 15/85...Atleast here in the northwest.

But i think that hasn't been mentioned is what we call mouth feel and other elements. Those which gives the impression of heavy vapor.

For example there, if I can remember reading it correctly. Some flavors can give the mental impression of mouth feel. Like coconut FA in a low percent. Fresh cream FA. Sometimes mts FA. Even the additive of surclose does the trick as well in terms of coating your mouth and gunking up the coils (which I havnt used).

And of course that.

SirErick

Member For 4 Years
I'm looking for super clean VG. Just checking up to see if anything has changed since my last order a year ago. An acquaintance runs a DIY juice shop and has super clean vg but won't reveal who he uses. His seems cleaner then mine. Could be mind games. I know he uses nude nicotine for his nic and I've heard great things about their VG but haven't tried it myself.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am using the Liquid Barn VG/PG and my recipes are just like the stuff I was buying.

Are you allowing for what additives are in your flavorings? Many of mine have VG for the base in the flavor and some have PG while others have PG/VG and alcohol. This will thin your mix if you do adjust the percentages in the flavors.

:ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice:

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I am using the Liquid Barn VG/PG and my recipes are just like the stuff I was buying.

Are you allowing for what additives are in your flavorings? Many of mine have VG for the base in the flavor and some have PG while others have PG/VG and alcohol. This will thin your mix if you do adjust the percentages in the flavors.

:ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice:

Where are you getting the vg base flavorings? My nephew is pg intolerant and I've been using NN flavors for him but they won't stay mixed and separate out in ~6 hrs. They say theirs is vg/alcohol base. I contacted them about that and tried their suggestions of heated open air steeping, to no avail. Thanks

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The guys at BCV mentioned in a post a while back, I think it was here at VU, that their vg is palm based and sourced in the U.S.. I hadn't noticed anything strange tasting, but didn't try a vape stand alone. Next coils I rewick will check it out...
I've heard US made VG is shit. Could be wrong.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Where are you getting the vg base flavorings? My nephew is pg intolerant and I've been using NN flavors for him but they won't stay mixed and separate out in ~6 hrs. They say theirs is vg/alcohol base. I contacted them about that and tried their suggestions of heated open air steeping, to no avail. Thanks

Liquid Barn has what they call VGD for VG Dominant flavors. Many are 100% VG

https://www.liquidbarn.com/collections/vg-dominant-flavors

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I've heard US made VG is shit. Could be wrong.

Yeah, you are about 180 out on that. As a general rule U.S. vg is better and primarily palm based, and there is a good chance that there is actually some supervision of their manufacturing process and sanitation.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well the Honeydew for one. Look through the page every flavor has a FDS (Flavor Data Sheet) that tells you exactly what is contained in them. I have not found them on any other sites. Also if you notice they are 15ML bottles not 10ML.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you used those? I'm just wondering if the same separation issues as Nude Nicotines vg/alc flavors are going to occur with these. Already have half a dozen bottles of flavor that are most likely going to end up in the trash, and although they are not expensive don't feel inclined to throw good money after bad. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have made about 300ML of the Liquid Barn flavors as I bought the DIY Starter Kit. The guy at the Vape Shop tried my stuff and said it was GOOD SHIT!!

:ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice: This is my desk now

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm sure it's wonderful shit, but my question was as to the non-pg flavors staying mixed. Get the feeling I'm :deadhorse: here.

Btw, it's nice that they make their sampler bottles in 15ml. Out of 20 flavors you will be able to find ones that you like. There are some really good flavor companies such as The Flavor Apprentice, Capellas, LorAnn, FlavourArt, Flavor West, Hangsen, etc. Each has their outstanding flavors, and some not so good. If you don't want to go thru the cost of trial and error, there are lists of peoples favorites from each company, compiled by long time diy'ers over at eliquid recipies.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have had no problems with flavors staying mixed with my DIY. I mix with a frothing mixer, heat to around 135 Degrees for 1/2 an hour, shake rest and vape. Have not had any problems with any of the flavors I have used. I also have not used all of them and YMMV.

Good Luck

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks, guess I'll try a couple. If my nephew didn't gag and his face swell up like a blotchy pink balloon it wouldn't be an issue. Still, I'm glad I got him off the cigarettes.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw the vg dominant and 15/85 flavors. Which ones are 100% vg?

edit - I see, the vg dominant are vg and alcohol. So same deal as NN. Seems that flavors just don't emulsify in straight vg, need a mix with pg or alcohol.
It's hard for someone who's actually allergic to PG, because as you say there are very few flavors that are VG based. I do know that there is the odd TFA flavor that is alcohol based - cinnamon red hots comes to mind (a drop took the finish off my kitchen table)!

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, you are about 180 out on that. As a general rule U.S. vg is better and primarily palm based, and there is a good chance that there is actually some supervision of their manufacturing process and sanitation.

Yeah, I know you already said something similar in another thread. I just can't document any (US palm derived) source as of yet. All the US VG I've found online is soy based. Makes sense...97% of Palm Oil used in the USA is imported from Malaysia and Indonesia.

Not saying you're wrong, or that BCV is lying, or trying to start a shit storm, but I don't agree with your negative assessment of non-US sourced "manufacturing process and sanitation". If it's USP, it's USP, period.

I'd love to see a link to a US Palm derived VG. If the price were lower (assuming it would be.,..domestic product and all), I'd buy my 2 gals a month form such a source. I mean, for what it's worth, since US made, palm derived VG is going to start out in Malaysia as palm oil no matter how you slice it.

But I won't buy soy derived USA VG, even though it is cheaper. I'm sure it's awesome for BioDiesel use, but I'm actually more concerned about US VG that uses GMO Soy and Corn, than I am about VG made in Malaysia. After the little spurt of research I just did regarding all this, I'm willing to wager that the unusual taste of the BCV VG is soy. That's ok, nothing wrong with using it if it works for you, but for me...No Monsanto in my vapor, thank you!

FWIW, and a big IMAO, the best of the best flavor concentrates are the imported ones. FlavoUrArt, Hangsen, Inawera, SC Concentrates. Sorry, but CAP, FW and TFA simply don't compare (In My Opinion). I'm always careful not to confuse patriotism with quality, but to each his own.

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
But I won't buy soy derived USA VG, even though it is cheaper. I'm sure it's awesome for BioDiesel use, but I'm actually more concerned about US VG that uses GMO Soy and Corn, than I am about VG made in Malaysia. No Monsanto in my vapor, thank you!

Kinda my feelings too.
Was using the Coconut based VG from RTSVapes before, but I cheaped out last time and got it from http://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-ingredients/other-ingredients-and-chemicals/glycerin/

Don't know what it's made from tho:cry:
Would have preferred the Palm based, but nobody seems to list what it's made from.

VU Sponsors