Become a Patron!

Which ohm level to aim at for flavour on the Velocity mini rda?

Misty Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all :)

I will shortly be putting together my first rda build based on an Evic vtc mini with a Velocity mini clone rda.

On the coil build front (I'm new to coil building) Will be looking too keep things as simple as possible with dual Kanthal A1 horizontal coils...of course using an ohm meter /steamengine app.

I see various posts on ohm levels ranging anywhere from 0.15 -0.5 and would be grateful for advice on what
ohm level to aim for from a flavour perspective.

Many thanks

Misty Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
26 GA Kanthal dual coil. 5 wraps around a 2.8 mm diameter on each should yield about .3 ohms.
6 wraps... Mebbe .4 ohm.

You might even try wrapping a lower diameter. 2.5 mm for instance.

Thanks for the reply mate.
Ok will aim for .3 to.4 ohm
I have 24, 26 and 28 kanthal and will use steam engine to aim for 5-7 wraps.

Was initially considering 2mm internal diameter of coil though note your comments on 2.5 or 2.8....
I take it I would be better off using a larger size?

Misty Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=0.8&awg=24&id=3
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?r=0.8&awg=24&id=2.5

Remember, when you do a dual coil, the Resistance is cut in half

The more wraps the better, provides more surface area.

Thanks I'm still getting my head round dual coils

Newbie question: Using the steam engine app with the following example of a dual coil build is the 0.8 ohm figure the total resistance of both coils fitted or do I need to half that figure i.e 0.4?

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.8&awg=28&id=3

Cheers

mountainbikermark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks I'm still getting my head round dual coils

Newbie question: Using the steam engine app with the following example of a dual coil build is the 0.8 ohm figure the total resistance of both coils fitted or do I need to half that figure i.e 0.4?

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.8&awg=28&id=3

Cheers
The .8 is for a dual . In the screen shot I have it shows what that wrap would result in if you did it as a single. I don't know all the techno jargon, just follow the recipe.
6c128e679fb97c0dadcff539b37b36d8.jpg

Hope that helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Switched back to Nichrome80. Made a 26g dual coil at 0.31ohm vaping at 60W. Pretty wide open. Damn good flavor. 3mg juice.

The coils are spaced, not pressed, 3mm.

Update:
Dropped to 50.5W and it's perfect, Found 60w was way too hot for me.

For the record, I also tried a 24G 10 wrap per coil dual with 3.5mm ID
Was at .30ohms and holy crap that just about killed me at any watts.
26G is my limit.

The 26G dual coil
6 Spaced Wraps, 3mm ID
Comes out to .31ohm
Vaped at 50.5W
is the perfect vape for me.
I might go +/- 2W to 5W
but this is perfect for me.

I have tried Twisted and Claptons, and they are ok, but this simple setup isn't letting me down.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?mat=n80&r=0.6&awg=26&id=3

Also, the way I wick it, it can hold about 1ml of juice, a little more, I get a lot of good clouds off of it.

Last edited:

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I build to about .2 on the Velocity but I like warm thick vapor. Right now I have a twisted build in it also, at .18 and at 85w it's a monster. Flavor is on point, maybe better than the dual Clapton that I just took out of it.

7 wrap twisted 24g kanthal. Little ramp up but it's a beast. Might be too much clouds for some.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445868075.034564.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
0.30-0.35 works real well for me. I'm using 0.33 ohm 3mm ID 24gauge 7 wrap dual coil build. I had a 0.25 clapton build and it was too hot. I had a 0.43 26 gauge build, too cold. 0.33 is goldilocks. Also tried a couple of single coil builds with one of the cyclops covered with aluminum tape, couldn't come close to the performance of my Freakshow Mini with singles so I gave up on that. You could also go dual 28 gauge parallels 6 wraps 3mm ID; I'm sure that'd work great but I don't want to burn that much juice (you would select the quad coil option in Steam Engine to calculate a dual coil parallel build).

Edit: I have now switched to a dual 0.4 ohm 26g 2.4mm ID 7 wrap. Warm enough and dense enough for me at 35W, 3.7 nominal voltage.

Last edited:

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
0.30-0.35 works real well for me. I'm using 0.33 ohm 24gauge 7 wrap dual coil build. I had a 0.25 clapton build and it was too hot. I had a 0.43 26 gauge build, too cold. 0.33 is goldilocks. Also tried a couple of single coil builds with one of the cyclops covered with aluminum tape, couldn't come close to the performance of my Freakshow Mini with singles so I gave up on that. You could also go dual 28 gauge parallels 6 wraps; I'm sure that'd work great but I don't want to burn that much juice (you would select the quad coil option in Steam Engine to calculate a dual coil parallel build).

I agree. I have completely changed my vaping and coil builds altogether
The 24G is actually working now for some reason,, but I think it is my coil placement and size that fixed the harshness.

This is the perfect coil build for me as well.

This is my build http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?a=true&r=0.7&awg=24&id=2.5&ws=0.5
Spaced Dual coils.

I use CoilMaster 2.5mm and able to wrap it like a parallel coil
Then carefully take them apart which is tricky cause it does wrap them very tight
after that, I get a perfect .30ohm at 50W on the Velocity and make sure the bottom of the coil is just under the direct airflow slits
more coil above the slit than below, but just below. Perfect vape and flavor is really really good on these builds
I have the same build in 2 Velocity's and they both perform identical.
This is my build for a long time to come I think, Don't think I can improve on it.

Yes it is Kanthal 24G and I thought I would have issues with the taste of Kanthal, and I don't.

One is on a Sigelei 150W TC and the other is on an IPV3LI, both at 50W. Perfect.

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FYI: For those of you Velocity users annoyed by the endless ejuice seeping from the upper bell, it is easily solved with aluminum tape to cover the indirect air flow holes (most never use them). Worked the trick for me. It can be applied directly to the outside of the lower cap section to cover the holes with a 4mm wide strip. The tape is very thin and doesn't even contact the upper bell cap when it's re-installed. Pic below. Basically, blindfold the robot! o_O

Attachments

• IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 62

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the indirect air holes. Just drop carefully.

mountainbikermark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FYI: For those of you Velocity users annoyed by the endless ejuice seeping from the upper bell, it is easily solved with aluminum tape to cover the indirect air flow holes (most never use them). Worked the trick for me. It can be applied directly to the outside of the lower cap section to cover the holes with a 4mm wide strip. The tape is very thin and doesn't even contact the upper bell cap when it's re-installed. Pic below. Basically, blindfold the robot! o_O
The upper bell on my clone was a bit loose and kept screwing itself totally closed when I'd bump it or whatever. This tip solved that problem. Something I find very annoying is find the sweet spot for air and have it so easily move. Not anymore.
Thanks

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

mkhilario

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use the indirect air holes. Just drop carefully.
Got nothing to do with sloppy dripping. It's condensation inside the bell seeping out all of the holes. If you're using a low ohm high watt build it may not even be an issue for you with all the airflow open. This tip was for the flavor chasers.

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Got nothing to do with sloppy dripping. It's condensation inside the bell seeping out all of the holes. If you're using a low ohm high watt build it may not even be an issue for you with all the airflow open. This tip was for the flavor chasers.

Yep, I agree, just keep the bell clean and drip carefully
I take the bell off almost every time I drip. After a while, you get to know exactly how to put it back on and lock it in place quickly.
Many times I don't even realize I slapped it back on perfectly without even thinking about it.

And from my understanding, the Tobecco's are the best built of the clones. No loose Bell.
Love the Velocity. Will be picking up 2 more eventually.

Edromaster

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all :)

I will shortly be putting together my first rda build based on an Evic vtc mini with a Velocity mini clone rda.

On the coil build front (I'm new to coil building) Will be looking too keep things as simple as possible with dual Kanthal A1 horizontal coils...of course using an ohm meter /steamengine app.

I see various posts on ohm levels ranging anywhere from 0.15 -0.5 and would be grateful for advice on what
ohm level to aim for from a flavour perspective.

Many thanks
Honestly I have tried every way to build on the Velocity. From Clapton to low ohm and even high ohms only way I have truly got great flavor off the Velocity is building quad coils on it like this pic here of my quad build im currently using on my Velocity. Not only do I get amazing Flavor but at 125watts its a nice warm and super thick vape.IMAG0020.jpg IMAG0022.jpg

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I build to about .2 on the Velocity but I like warm thick vapor. Right now I have a twisted build in it also, at .18 and at 85w it's a monster. Flavor is on point, maybe better than the dual Clapton that I just took out of it.

7 wrap twisted 24g kanthal. Little ramp up but it's a beast. Might be too much clouds for some.
View attachment 31813

And how does that work on the OP's VTC Mini?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Are you twisting your own wire or are you buying your wire pre-twisted
The point is, that the original poster of this thread has a Evic VTC Mini, which has a max. 75W output. Therefore, coils with extreme ramp up time, and/or low resistance are not suited for this device. Coil(s) with a resistance of 0.5-0.6 Ohm make more sense for a VTC Mini. It leaves a decent amount of adjustability on the mod, in order to get the most out of the Velocity Mini RDA.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
...Was initially considering 2mm internal diameter of coil though note your comments on 2.5 or 2.8....
I take it I would be better off using a larger size?
A larger coil ID will improve the wicking.

rckVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

View attachment 31813

Inner diameter?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The point is, that the original poster of this thread has a Evic VTC Mini, which has a max. 75W output. Therefore, coils with extreme ramp up time, and/or low resistance are not suited for this device. Coil(s) with a resistance of 0.5-0.6 Ohm make more sense for a VTC Mini. It leaves a decent amount of adjustability on the mod, in order to get the most out of the Velocity Mini RDA.
A larger coil ID will improve the wicking.
Yup yup. Resistance doesn't define flavor in my opinion, it's all about the properties of your build in regards to the wire attributes and airflow (namely less vacant space = better flavor). So those larger Inner diameter coils will also constrict the space inside resulting in less air and better flavor. Anyways not surprising Neuner is on point here, make your resistance fit the powersource.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As stated above, resistance on it's own is not a factor.
It's all about the surface area of the coil(s).

EVic VTC mini will do just fine at 60W with a pair of 3mm Claptons.

Restricting the airflow will help with flavor, I suggest using the direct airflow half open, with the indirect airflow closed.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
True, but the battery won't last long.
Depends what kind of claptons. I run 30g/40g Fused Claptons on my Mini volt and the battery lasts long enough for my workday, comes in at .68Ω. Likewise I run 28g/40g FCs at .38Ω on my Diablo with my Pico at 70w, and it can last me 2 workdays. Now I don't vape constantly at work, but I will run through 2-4mL of juice. But, yeah grab that factory clapton wire that uses 32g outer wire that takes forever to heat up and you're going to be holding that button down draining the batteries for a while before you even get a vape. Devil in the details and all that.

VU Sponsors