Become a Patron!

Which tank to start with?

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Another newbie here. I've decided to go with the evic VTC mini as my first mod.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly, one can either use coil heads or build their own coils.

The coil head comes with the heating element, cotton, and coil already in it, right?
Building my own would involve me coiling up my own wire, and setting my cotton.... What else am I missing? What do you call the component the coil gets mounted on?

I want plan to use titanium.

Apart from buying the mod, battery, charger, juice, and tank, what other items should be in my first purchase so that I can start vaping without having to wait for parts and whatnot?

Any tank recommendations?
Thanks.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok you seem to actually understand what you are talking about

if you really want to vape Ti then you have limited options

Those joytech tanks are about the only ones that have prebuilt ti heads unless you get a smok tfv4
the only other way to use ti is to make your own coils

with the tank that comes in that kit
you can rebuild the coils
i forget f you need a special head that lets you rebuild or you can use any of their coils

now not everyone likes the joytech tanks for flavor. some love them some dont its all preference

but everything you said is correct, your list is complete unless you plan to make your own coils

not all tanks let you build coils

and some only let you build coils - they offer no prebuilt ones

if a tank says it has an RBA head that means ReBuildableAtomizer

which means you can make your own coils for it

but many prebuilt coils can be rebuilt with some practice and some prebuilt coils like the joytech ones that are called CLR are meant to be taken apart and rebuilt

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all that information...again! Lol. I do intend to make my own coils, it does not seem too difficult, and itll enable me to learn more for ze future.

Are you referring to the eGo ONE mega atomizer that comes with the VTC mini (if selected), the one that matches the color of the mod?
On FT, this is the information I see associated with that tank...

• Chromed brass + POM hybrid 510 drip tip
  • Glass inner tank
  • 3ml juice capacity
  • Sliding adjustable airflow valve
  • 510 threading connection
  • Solid center pin
  • Comes with a 0.4ohm coil head

But honestly, I think i'd prefer something a bit better than that. So youre telling me the part where the screws hold the coil in is called the head? Thanks!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yeah that tank is okish
most feel the kanger subtank is better overall and has what is called an rba head or deck
which you can use to make your own coils when you want or just use prebuilt coils

its the tank alot of us started on for a sub ohm tank while most of us switched to something we found better it wasnt till after we used a kanger subtank for months I still use mine occasionally. but currently y wife is using them to try to switch to vaping

They are excellent starter tanks

the think with screws to hold coils you make your self can be called several things
rba deck
rba head
the build deck
rba base

and variations like that

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Now if I want a dual coil setup, what should I be looking for? For example, can I purchase the Kanger subtank mini and purchase a head that can accomodate 2 coils?

Since I plan to go the building route, what items would I need?

Coil (Ti)
Cotton
Neccessary tools or a tool kit

Is there a a brand that stick out particularly? for Ti coils?
What about for cotton? Any ones you personally feel are worth spending on?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Now if I want a dual coil setup, what should I be looking for? For example, can I purchase the Kanger subtank mini and purchase a head that can accomodate 2 coils?

Since I plan to go the building route, what items would I need?

Coil (Ti)
Cotton
Neccessary tools or a tool kit

Is there a a brand that stick out particularly? for Ti coils?
What about for cotton? Any ones you personally feel are worth spending on?
For the VTC Mini, I would not get the Kanger Subtank. I have a slight wobble of the Kanger Subtank Plus, and the Aspire Triton, due to the posts on these tanks being slightly longer. The Goliath V2 comes with replacement coil heads (dual coil), and a RBA for building your own coils. In addition, the airflow can be adjusted to your liking. Most beginners like to do the usual mouth to lung hit, so the airflow should be adjusted for less air. For direct to lungs hits, the tank performs very well, with the airflow wide open. I'm not sure if they produce replacement heads with Ni200 though.

Cotton, most of us are using Japanese Cotton (e. g. Koh Gen Do).

Another thing, upgrade the VTC Mini's Firmware, and you have a 75W mod. In addition, you'll have TC for stainless steel coils.

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for your input on the Kanger. I've been doing more research and was recommended a Cthulhu v2. I saw a few videos on that and I think I'm pretty set on that tank.

Now, I've only briefly saw SS coils. In the process of reading up on it. What makes that a better option than the rest? I was particularly interested in using Ti coils only, but now it seems that SS might be a slightly better alternative?

What should I look for when buying coils? What significance does the gauge of the wire have on vaping? And the diameter of the coil? Why would you want a larger or smaller diameter or a thicker or thinner coil?

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@cdcee Ok, first off I would like to start off by saying I have had my VTC mini pretty much since the day they came out and my go to tank on that has always been the Subtank Plus (with a silicone sleeve on the VTC, the tank sits pretty flush with the sleeve) and have had no problems with that... I rotate between 2 different Subtank Plus' and 2 Subtank Minis and have had no problems with wobbling or anything else for that matter. As far as single coil tanks are concerned, I would have to say a Subtank with a V2 deck (juice holes in the side of the barrel) is one of the easiest tanks to get the wicking right.

However, I also rotate in 2 TFV4 tanks, Lemo 2, Aromamizer, and Silverplay among about 6 different drippers as well and haven't had a problem with any of them at all.

I haven't heard much feedback on the Cthulhu V2 but that is the tank that has dual or single coil options correct? If just starting out, you might be interested in trying something that gives you the option such as this, but I can tell you hands down, Subtank V2 has given me the best flavor I have found so far. Most of my other rotations (dual coils) are mainly for those times when I feel like blowing clouds lol.

As far as what you would need to build with: 24g Grade 1 Ti (A common go to when Ti is involved), Japanese Cotton or Rayon (this is a constant battle between the two, either you like it or you don't), something to wrap your coils around (I use screwdrivers that are 3mm and 2.4mm in diameter depending on what I'm building on but stick with the 3mm if possible), small screwdrivers, small needle nose, small wire clippers, scissors, alcohol wipes or alcohol and something to wipe with (especially with Ti you will need to wipe clean first)

SS vs. Ti: in my opinion SS has a cleaner taste and doesn't gunk up quite as fast as Ti does. Again, this is all a battle between personal preference lol... Currently I am running 2 Subtanks with SS, 2 with Ti, and my drippers with SS lol

Any more questions just ask :D

Last edited:

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for responding.
So as I am nearing my first purchase. Safety is a concern, of course. I don't want any batteries blowing up in my face. Lol.
I'm looking at these batteries: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004182/2533800-authentic-lg-18650hg2-3-6v-3000mah-rechargeable

Some specs:
  • Max charge voltage: 4.2V
  • Continuous discharge current: 20A
  • Maximum impulse current: 30A
For example:

@ 0.1 Ohms, 75W = 27.38613A (unsafe)?
@ 0.2 Ohms, 75W = 19.36492A (safe)?
Then as the Ohms increase while the wattage remaining constant, the amps will decrease.
So from my understanding, as long as I don't go over 20A, it should be safe, right?

Any other recommendations for batteries?

I just realized this thread went from tanks, to coils, to batteries....

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for responding.
So as I am nearing my first purchase. Safety is a concern, of course. I don't want any batteries blowing up in my face. Lol.
I'm looking at these batteries: https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004182/2533800-authentic-lg-18650hg2-3-6v-3000mah-rechargeable

Some specs:
For example:

Then as the Ohms increase while the wattage remaining constant, the amps will decrease.
So from my understanding, as long as I don't go over 20A, it should be safe, right?

Sounds like you have a very good understanding of batteries... In theory yes, anything under 20A should be good, but think of it like everything else in life, anything that runs at or right under it's max point has a higher potential to malfunction than if it was running at half capacity. For instance, if you are pushing 19.5A you would be fine if you take a hit every now and then, but if you are chain vaping that high the battery will get hot and heat is a batteries worst enemy lol.

EDIT: Unless you are using some kind of crazy wire, you generally won't be using the whole 75w the device is capable of anyways... in my Subtanks I generally push around 25w with around a .13 ohm Ti coil for a total of around 14A... when dripping I use around 50w with a .15ish ohm SS coil for around 18A... Obviously I try to keep a feel for battery temperature getting warm when I'm dripping because I'm up close to the limit of the battery and tend to chain vape...

I personally use the HG2s as well, with a fleet of Samsung 25Rs to back them up. Sony VTC4 or VTC5 are also common as well as LG HE2 and HE4.

Last edited:

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for responding.

Some specs:
For example:

However, with batteries, they're so easy to clone that I would suggest buying from somewhere like http://liionwholesale.com/products/...lat-top-wholesale-discount?variant=3263844292 who tests all of their batteries before selling. Especially when the price is 6.50 per battery with only like 3 dollar shipping. Just a suggestion as idk how well I'd trust FT with authenticity of batteries...

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
I see what you mean. I don't think I'll be vaping at 75w. Was just making an example of its max capacity. Realistically I think I'll be in the 0.2-0.5 ohm range and in the 25-60w range. What is maximum impulse current 30A? Is that for when charging the battery? Is there a general rule when choosing a thicker or thinner gauge wire?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for your input on the Kanger. I've been doing more research and was recommended a Cthulhu v2. I saw a few videos on that and I think I'm pretty set on that tank.

Now, I've only briefly saw SS coils. In the process of reading up on it. What makes that a better option than the rest? I was particularly interested in using Ti coils only, but now it seems that SS might be a slightly better alternative?

What should I look for when buying coils? What significance does the gauge of the wire have on vaping? And the diameter of the coil? Why would you want a larger or smaller diameter or a thicker or thinner coil?
The Cthulhu V2 is a really nice tank. However, the wicking can be tricky, which might be getting frustrating, especially for a beginner. If the wicking is not just right, either you get dry hits, or leaking. BTW, you won't be able to fit coils with a 3 mm ID into the dual coil RBA of it. The max ID is a 2.5 mm, otherwise the coils will touch the metal tube that surrounds the deck.

The wire gauges are having an influence on how your coil(s) heat up/cool down. In addition, resulting resistance, and surface area of the coil(s). Take a look at http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp. Use it as a guideline for your builds. Click on "How it works" in the bottom left, and pay attention to heat flux, and heat capacity. Play around with it, setting different wire gauges, different target resistances, the Watt (next to heat flux), etc. and check the outcome.

Personally, I prefer utilizing SS wire. I feel uncomfortable with Ni200, or Ti wires, due to the uncertainty whether the inhaled vapor is harmless, or not.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I see what you mean. I don't think I'll be vaping at 75w. Was just making an example of its max capacity. Realistically I think I'll be in the 0.2-0.5 ohm range and in the 25-60w range. What is maximum impulse current 30A? Is that for when charging the battery? Is there a general rule when choosing a thicker or thinner gauge wire?

I'm using the Sony VCT5 in my VTC Mini. All together, I have three, obviously one in the mod, two as a spare. I'm trying to avoid charging the batteries through the USB of the mod. I did it once, and noticed that the mod was getting pretty warm. I assume, it is charging at a higher Ampere, in order to charge the battery quickly.

The current values you are referring to, is on discharging the battery.

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just like @Neunerball said, the thinner the wire, the higher your ohms will be... which in turn will allow you to also control how quickly your coils heat up...
I'm using the Sony VCT5 in my VTC Mini. All together, I have three, obviously one in the mod, two as a spare. I'm trying to avoid charging the batteries through the USB of the mod. I did it once, and noticed that the mod was getting pretty warm. I assume, it is charging at a higher Ampere, in order to charge the battery quickly.

The current values you are referring to, is on discharging the battery.
I've had mine heat up before as well, which was weird because it had never done that before. After I looked into it more, it's because that charger I was using was designed to put out a lot more Voltage than the other charger I was using... I currently use the iPhone block charger with the cable that came with the mod and have had no problems with heating up.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Just like @Neunerball said, the thinner the wire, the higher your ohms will be... which in turn will allow you to also control how quickly your coils heat up...

I've had mine heat up before as well, which was weird because it had never done that before. After I looked into it more, it's because that charger I was using was designed to put out a lot more Voltage than the other charger I was using... I currently use the iPhone block charger with the cable that came with the mod and have had no problems with heating up.
Sounds like there's no regulating electronics in the mod, in order to keep the Ampere at a certain limit. In other words, if I hook the USB cable into a USB port of a PC that has a 2A output, the mod will charge at 2A.

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like there's no regulating electronics in the mod, in order to keep the Ampere at a certain limit. In other words, if I hook the USB cable into a USB port of a PC that has a 2A output, the mod will charge at 2A.
That was my conclusion...

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
The Cthulhu V2 is a really nice tank. However, the wicking can be tricky, which might be getting frustrating, especially for a beginner. If the wicking is not just right, either you get dry hits, or leaking. BTW, you won't be able to fit coils with a 3 mm ID into the dual coil RBA of it. The max ID is a 2.5 mm, otherwise the coils will touch the metal tube that surrounds the deck.
Good information to know! Thanks.

However, with batteries, they're so easy to clone that I would suggest buying from somewhere like http://liionwholesale.com/products/...lat-top-wholesale-discount?variant=3263844292 who tests all of their batteries before selling.
Thanks for the recommendation! After a browsing thru threads, I'll be grabbing some batts from liionwholesale.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
a big advantage to SS over all other wires is it can reliably run in power or TC mode provided you have a mod with SS TC
and as others have said it tastes cleaner to many over other wires

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
I'd like to thank everybody for helping me with my decision. I went and ordered the evic VTC mini, cthulhu v2 tank, tools (tweezers, ohm tester, coilers, etc.), LG batts, batt charger, cotton (Koh gen doh, ebay) and wire (26 gauge, grade 1, 99.5% pure, Ti, ebay). Only thing I'm missing now is juice. =] I'm so hyped! Too bad FT ain't gonna ship my order for another 5 business days!!! Argh! Lol.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Just in case, you haven't seen the link anywhere yet, use the following as a guideline for your builds. Click on the "How it works" (bottom left) for more information on how to use this tool. Check out the other tools on that site as well.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Just in case, you haven't seen the link anywhere yet, use the following as a guideline for your builds. Click on the "How it works" (bottom left) for more information on how to use this tool. Check out the other tools on that site as well.
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp
Yes I have checked it out! Thanks! I do have a question. Since I will be using a titanium wire, I see 2 types there? Im assuming 1 is grade one and 2 is grade 2? I havent checked out the video yet. I shall do that later!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes I have checked it out! Thanks! I do have a question. Since I will be using a titanium wire, I see 2 types there? Im assuming 1 is grade one and 2 is grade 2? I havent checked out the video yet. I shall do that later!
That is correct (the grades)!

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
So that video was very helpful. I cant wait to get my stuff to start!

Got a question...

Been browsing thru the forum and I found that with a velocity style deck, you can have your coils set up horizontally or vertically. What is the difference in performance between the 2?

VU Sponsors