Become a Patron!

Which Water and Why (Minerals & Myth)

Steam Pilgrim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Tap vs potable vs sterilised (boiled) vs distilled (condensated) vs demineralised.

Which to use and why?

Last edited:

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, HIC uses tap water although the water supply at his location (San Francisco) may have little in the way of minerals.

<Just playing devils advocate, really; I use distilled. :)>

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, I use bottled water. For my super thick vg liquids, in my subtank, Ill use two drops per 3.5ish ml tank. My coil will last for weeks. Never have I noticed any difference between waters. Deionized, ditsilled, bottled, or normal tap water.
I think the mineral worry is a myth.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Honestly, I use bottled water. For my super thick vg liquids, in my subtank, Ill use two drops per 3.5ish ml tank. My coil will last for weeks. Never have I noticed any difference between waters. Deionized, ditsilled, bottled, or normal tap water.

Ooh, I like this theory. Dunno if it's true or not but I also like the idea of Pauly Walnuts, Vaping Mythbuster! :)

Steam Pilgrim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Setting aside why standardised water quality is preferable to a company and necessary in areas in which tap water isn't potable, the general concern isn't health but mineral buildup on wicks and coils?

Pity @Ol'DocPorter is away for now.

Last edited:

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
+1, along with the many other unknown chemicals present in tap water.
Distilled is probably still the best IMO.
We are inhaling all those chemicals every time we take a hot shower. Doubt a little in ejuice would make a difference. But, I am with you and use distilled. Its a dollor for a gallon. Cant get much cheaper than that.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We are inhaling all those chemicals every time we take a hot shower. Doubt a little in ejuice would make a difference. But, I am with you and use distilled. Its a dollor for a gallon. Cant get much cheaper than that.

The way I chain vape I doubt I'd survive:D.
I just never got any benefit from using DW, or saline, as I'm using 70PG/30VG.

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The way I chain vape I doubt I'd survive:D.
I just never got any benefit from using DW, or saline, as I'm using 70PG/30VG.
It thins down the VG, useful in older style gear. . More and more gear now feeds higher vg liquids better.

Herakles and goblin mini I am using now don't really care.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tap from here.. FUCK NO!! shit smells like pool water it has so much chlorine in it if I use bleach in the bathroom I have to air it out for hours... HOLY fuck it is wicked bad.
I have a brita filter to make it semi drinkable, debating cleaning out the cooler and getting a 5 gallon bottle going again.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is all opinion, folks. Are there any chemists (you know) who might care to bring some science to the thread?

While it's not science, it's very simple to check out.
We use distilled water on the final pass when cleaning camera lens, because it doesn't leave a residue.

Residue = things we don't need/want.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FWIW, HIC uses tap water although the water supply at his location (San Francisco) may have little in the way of minerals.

<Just playing devils advocate, really; I use distilled. :)>
Not all water in San Francisco is equal.
The financial district doesn't get it's water from Hetch Hetchy it's mostly reclaimed (Gray Water) go ahead and Google it.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tap from here.. FUCK NO!! shit smells like pool water it has so much chlorine in it if I use bleach in the bathroom I have to air it out for hours... HOLY fuck it is wicked bad.
I have a brita filter to make it semi drinkable, debating cleaning out the cooler and getting a 5 gallon bottle going again.
Get yourself a PUR or a Zero.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A good friend of mine has a TON of iron and minerals in his water, so much that it dyes all plasticware brown. Its an extreme example of how bad water can be. I would not use his water for anything, especially to thin my juice.
I believe a good rule would be, 'if you wont guzzle down a glass of it, dont use it in you liquid. But really, if you ingest your water frequently, because its the water you use, there is no negative effect that you wouldnt already be exposed to.
Unless your water is so bad that you wont ingest it otherwise, I cant imagine coil mineralization would be valid problem.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A good friend of mine has a TON of iron and minerals in his water, so much that it dyes all plasticware brown. Its an extreme example of how bad water can be. I would not use his water for anything, especially to thin my juice.
I believe a good rule would be, 'if you wont guzzle down a glass of it, dont use it in you liquid. But really, if you ingest your water frequently, because its the water you use, there is no negative effect that you wouldnt already be exposed to.
Unless your water is so bad that you wont ingest it otherwise, I cant imagine coil mineralization would be valid problem.

When your whites come out of the wash a dingy brown. Filtering is your only option. I never understood why some people put up with the high cost of dirty water in some cities..

Distilled is best. Distillation kills organic impurities and degases. Demineralized are not as clean as distilled water as the processes do not remove organic compounds as efficiently and what particulate that is removed is replaced with salts. Deionized is better than demineralized, but still does not kills organic impurities like distilled.

Distilled is $1/gal and clean.

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My typical batch size is 300ml, about 1/3 vg thinned with 15% water. That works out to 15ml of water per batch. I have distilled water myself at times but it is more work than mixing. I don't like the idea of storing an opened water container for months at a time, or buying a gallon each time I mix. My tap water, run for a couple minutes, works just fine and is in such small quantities I'm not concerned. This is for our personal use and gets consumed in a few weeks.

I would hope juice sellers use distilled. I am happily vaping a bit of Detroit River water but maybe not everyone else wants to!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Dingy brown is one thing, my dad who is on a well has iron so heavy it rusts plastic.
No shit it dyes white plastic rust orange.
Drink it? not likely, filters are shot after one use, distilling it makes it taste worse.

Dingy brown is one thing, my dad who is on a well has iron so heavy it rusts plastic.
No shit it dyes white plastic rust orange.
Drink it? not likely, filters are shot after one use, distilling it makes it taste worse.
Did you actually distill it or just boil it? Boiling water is not the same as distillation. Boiling won't get rid of solid particulates--it will just help with killing organic molecules and degassing. Boiling will only intensify the bad taste from things like iron because you are evaporating away the water making the iron concentration even higher.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did you actually distill it or just boil it? Boiling water is not the same as distillation. Boiling won't get rid of solid particulates--it will just help with killing organic molecules and degassing. Boiling will only intensify the bad taste from things like iron because you are evaporating away the water making the iron concentration even higher.
He distilled it.
shit would come out orange like rusty thick orange juice.

He distilled it.
shit would come out orange like rusty thick orange juice.
It is impossible for solid particulates to be carried by water vapor and only small amounts of condensable impurities would carry over especially if you allow the heated container to evaporate to atmosphere before hitting the boiling point of water.

Trust me, you didn't distill it.

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty sure distilled water wouldn't come out as rusty or thick. Maybe boiling could do that.

Here's a quote from http://water.usgs.gov/edu/drinkseawater.html
Solar desalination evaporation is used by nature to produce rain which is the main source of fresh water on earth. All available man-made distillation systems are a duplication on a small scale of this natural process.
and
Distillation is perhaps the one water treatment technology that most completely reduces the widest range of drinking water contaminants.

If distillation didn't work, we would would have salty rain.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It is impossible for solid particulates to be carried by water vapor and only small amounts of condensable impurities would carry over especially if you allow the heated container to evaporate to atmosphere before hitting the boiling point of water.

Trust me, you didn't distill it.
I did not distill shit he did. from the ground it was fucked up and would stay fucked up.
I think the only reason he kept it was to have property with water but for drinking and cooking it was packed in.
When I stopped talking to him he was seriously thinking of looking into a salt filter set up and a big still.

all I can say for sure is do not believe the BS some idiots are saying about tap water... they breath it in everyday when they have a hot shower or go to a spa ect ect... and do not believe that inhaling water is really really bad for you... what do these fools think humidity is??

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I don't put any water in my ejuice, since I use 86% PG... but I do rinse my coils while dry-burning, so I'm really glad that when we bought this house, we also invested in a whole-house filtration system, which softens our extremely-hard suburban water very nicely, and which has a further reverse-osmosis filtration at the kitchen sink, and that is the water I use to rinse coils when dry-burning, and also to rinse my DIY syringes, because there are zero metals or anything else in that water; my syringes last a good month or more, since I'm very careful about rinsing them well.

If you have hard or questionable water and own your own home, it's MORE than worth it to have this type of filtration, and the worse the water gets in time, the more valuable an addition to your home it becomes.

Andria

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all I can say for sure is do not believe the BS some idiots are saying about tap water... they breath it in everyday when they have a hot shower or go to a spa ect ect... and do not believe that inhaling water is really really bad for you... what do these fools think humidity is??
It’s all about choice. What you put in is what you get out. Personally for me I choose to go for the cleanest possible choice. Not to say one is worse than the other. But I personally would want to vaporize and intentially inhale the fluoride and other minerals in my water. Incendental from a shower, the rain falling from the sky...well I don’t nessiairly have a choice.

Just a random thought about choice. Not what is right or wrong or to point to something.

VU Sponsors