Become a Patron!

Whistling air flow holes in RDA's

My IGO-L and other RDA's whistle after drilling them out, the size does not seem to be the problem,it seems to be the proximity to the coil, any suggestions or solutions?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Turn the cap slightly, in relation to the coil... or, set the coil a bit further inboard / alter the angle from the present position... or, worst case, if all else fails, get a slightly larger, sharp drill bit (preferably an actual countersinking or chamfering bit, but most folks don't have them) and chamfer or "flair" both sides of the holes.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Me as well... semi-retired now. The slight chamfer seems to change the air flow enough to kill the whistle... not on all, but some. I believe cap wall thickness and hole diameter as well, when taken as comparative ratios... all play a part.
One of these days, I'll make a fixture to test something as small as a RDA cap on the flowbench, if for no other reason than to prove or disprove theories. :rolleyes:

Cool, One thing I did not bring up that you would understand is how the hell would you chamfer the id of a -22mm dripper cap? I could probably make a specialized tool, but would that really make a difference, or does it need to just be a sharp edge? Unless of course you were referring to chamfering the od of dual air holes?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I cheat. :D
Foredom makes (made? Mine is pretty old) a neat, small, 90 degree detail porting head, and with a small cratex cone, you can almost hit the ID dead on... almost. With a 26650 RDA, there's room to spare.
I'm sure you could rig up some little one-off deal, that at least breaks the sharp edge... I don't know what you have on hand... so, I guess, reach into your miscellaneous stuff drawer... and "MacGyver" it. ;)

Well, I'm a model maker for a motor company, 21 yrs.I have a very large shelf and drawers full of "MacGyver" fixtures for things that should not be possible to make on manual machines. I have a ton of ideas for RDA's and improving airflow for sub-ohm. You sound like a similar type of guy.

VU Sponsors