Become a Patron!

Why Are Regulated Mods Designed to Look Like 70/80's gadgets?

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It just seems strange to me.

The only cool "modern" looking device I have seen is the Snow Wolf, since it resembles an Apple product somewhat. Mods like the Joy Asolo looks like a controller for Atari 2600; the IPV 2 Mini looks like a 80's walk man. Why such outdated designs? I'd think that engineers would be more cutting edge and have them resemble cell phones in terms of sleekness and portability.

Even the SX Mini M class looks like a late 80's product.

Why such bad designs?

Jah

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The ipv d2 has a nice sleek design. So does the sigellei 75.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I Would rather the box than an erotic pleasure device shape of the tubemods. Especially if it has an engorged cuff cap.

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The ipv d2 has a nice sleek design. So does the sigellei 75.

No way, the IPV D2 might be a great functioning device but aesthetically it looks no better than its 1985 looking predecessor the ipv mini 2.

Same with the Segelli; the IPV 3 and 4s look like the last line of pagers from the early 90's.

With the price they are charging on top of the chip supposedly for the form factor, you'd think the capital of knock offs could bootleg the drafting sketches of the latest smart phones and automobiles.

I've yet to see one better looking than the Snow Wolf, and though a great TC device, it still looks like a fat iPhone.

The ijoy Asolo just looks horrible man; I swear it's on par with the Atari 2600 or a Beta Max.

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I Would rather the box than an erotic pleasure device shape of the tubemods. Especially if it has an engorged cuff cap.

I prefer the box to the tubes as well (engorged cuff cap or not lol) but just wish the people designing these things were recent engineer graduates and not some dudes who haven't designed form factors for electronics since the Carter administration.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I prefer the box to the tubes as well (engorged cuff cap or not lol) but just wish the people designing these things were recent engineer graduates and not some dudes who haven't designed electronics since the Carter administration.
I dunno, I tend to care more about how they work than how they look.
First world Problems IMHO
Not that appearance is totally out of my decision process, Ie.the sxmini is aesthetically appealing, but the function was mote important. But I keep the vaporshark DNA in rotation solely because of its size but I had a custom finish put on to help make it a little nicer looking. Most boxes at just that..boxes. There are some different things out there you just have to look.
Zen, theDroid, the vaporflask, are the others that jump out right away.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey F1, I know you don't like tube mods. Maybe you could sell me that P3 for a "reasonable" price:rolleyes:. Im still saving up. Im at 100.00 so far in my Provari fund...

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I dunno, I tend to care more about how they work than how they look.
First world Problems IMHO
Not that appearance is totally out of my decision process, Ie.the sxmini is aesthetically appealing, but the function was mote important. But I keep the vaporshark DNA in rotation solely because of its size but I had a custom finish put on to help make it a little nicer looking. Most boxes at just that..boxes. There are some different things out there you just have to look.
Zen, theDroid, the vaporflask, are the others that jump out right away.

I agree, I mean all my box mods are hideous looking (aside from the snow wolf) but they work great as far as the chips/functionality. The Vaporflask is a cool design I suppose, definitely original, but I heard the TC on it was sub par compared to most of the others?

The next mod on my list is the SX Mini M Class, just wish they sold the chromed up version that people have customized themselves on the SX Mini fb page; now those look pretty amazing with all the paint removed and polished up to be all chromed out.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
See and I'm not a fan of the snowwolfs appearance, not for any other reason than fingerprints. I actually had one on hold at w friend of mines shop, went to go try it and left with an atomizer instead. Lola
Just doesn't appeal to me.

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The SMY 200 looks cool too but way too big. I wonder if GraceChen could chime in on why the ijoy solo has the most repulsive form factor known to the vape industry. Its almost like they tried to make it look like a nightmare on purpose.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Snow wolf doesn't look any more 'modern' then a Sigelei 150
And the only real difference in looks from the Sigelei 100 watt (and many other boxes) is the rounded corners.

Maybe the manufacturers used the art definition of 'modern' when designing the first boxes (ie, boxy houses), then decided to switch to the recent time definition (ie, sleek aerodynamics)

Last edited:

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Snow wolf doesn't look any more 'modern' then a Sigelei 150
And the only real difference in looks from the Sigelei 100 watt (and many boxes) is the rounded corners.

Maybe the manufacturers used the art definition of 'modern' when designing the first boxes (ie, boxy houses), then decided to switch to the recent time definition (ie, sleek aerodynamics)

Are you talking about the Snow Wolf 200w? SW looks like a iPhone, and Sigelei 150 looks like a 1960's car radio; no comparison. The Snow Wolf 50w however I agree looks no more modern than the Sigelei 150 (the wood looking finish on that SW50 fits right in with the Sig150 in a 1960's time warp). It's like something Rod Sterling would vape off of.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you talking about the Snow Wolf 200w?

Yea, I had just googled 'snow wolf' to get a look and the 200watt was the first thing to come up. Pretty similar dimensions, rounded corners, buttons on the side (although the sig 150s fire button is much larger, which could be a pro or a con depending on your point of view). Biggest difference is the screen on the side vs the face, which has virtually no impact on outside appearance.

JTR

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yea, I had just googled 'snow wolf' to get a look and the 200watt was the first thing to come up. Pretty similar dimensions, rounded corners, buttons on the side (although the sig 150s fire button is much larger, which could be a pro or a con depending on your point of view). Biggest difference is the screen on the side vs the face, which has virtually no impact on outside appearance.

I'd love to see some concept box mod designs inspired by Lamborghini.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey F1, I know you don't like tube mods. Maybe you could sell me that P3 for a "reasonable" price:rolleyes:. Im still saving up. Im at 100.00 so far in my Provari fund...
Lol, if it weren't a beta I would. In all honesty in 18350 mode with an erlkoenigin nano its not bad
The battery dies quick though
temporary_zpsrn8pugwb.jpg

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
They have the minion mods

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Much rather have push buttons than touch screen Touch screen will not hold up for very long because your touching the same spot over and over.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
6b8551b4bdaece190a5d95485c48a56a.jpg

The Sigelei 150w TC looks pretty nice. So does the Zero.
d3ac2e362334f0bb8636d7f74024729f.jpg

Pandora's Box Mods are classy as well...
98010c0cfc1b4f3f277106b1cadf6df7.jpg

There are nice looking, high quality mods out there, you just gotta sniff around a bit. And you gotta remember-they do need to hold one or two 18650 batteries, and a 22mm atty, so there are limits on the size of these things haha :p

IML8

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They could extend it a bit to incorporate 2 batteries, but I kinda like the looks of the Presa:
Newest-WISMEC-Presa-40w-Box-Mod-Vape-2600mah-OLED-Screen-Mechanical-Mod-For-Amor-OBS-T.jpg

cage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I kind of agree with the OP.....some of these mods are designed with pure functionality in mind. From what is sitting in front of me at the moment, the Vaporshark 30, the MVP Pro and Sig 50 are just boxes with rounded corners (but excel at what they do!). I would probably buy an MVP Pro in Avacado Green just for the Art Deco look ;) But then the Project Square and the IPV4 step aside and offer a sleek and unique look that I really don't associate with the utilitarian side but rather a modern retro look. And the iStick 30, well it's a whole different take on box mods.

And then I have three mech mods on my desk that are anything but what the OP was saying. One is a pistol grip, the other is an AR15 mod (looks like a railed hand guard) and the other is a PMag 10.

Nonetheless, aesthetics are important, but I want something solid, that fits in my hand, and above all, works flawlessly.

cage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They could extend it a bit to incorporate 2 batteries, but I kinda like the looks of the Presa:
Newest-WISMEC-Presa-40w-Box-Mod-Vape-2600mah-OLED-Screen-Mechanical-Mod-For-Amor-OBS-T.jpg

I like this design a lot and have been eyeballing them. Looking forward to seeing some more field reviews before picking one up.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why do these new types of devices resemble other devices that were at the time new types of devices? o_O The form factor of mods will evolve just like everything else. These kinds of devices didn't exist just a year ago. They seem to be evolving faster than many other products have. How long after the first cell phone was made did it take for slick smart phones to be developed? Give it a little time and form will catch up to function.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My hexohm oddly resembles a receptacle box in the wall.

Reactions: Jah

VU Sponsors