Become a Patron!

Why Choose Unregulated Over Regulated?

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've got an L-Rider Corolla Mech Mod and I've been looking at mods like the Vamo V8, the Innokin iTaste 134, iTaste SDV2.0, and the ELeaf iStick (I know the iStick has an internal battery though).
I want to know, what makes a Mech Mod better/worse than Regulated mods like the ones above?
I'm new when it comes to Mech Mods and mods that use external batteries. Right now I have the L-Rider Corolla Mech Mod (that I haven't used yet due to me waiting for my battery charger to ship), an iTaste MVP2 and an iTaste VV V3.
I'd love any input.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here's a picture of the L-Rider Corolla:
Ln87G6b.jpg

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My answer is, UNRESTRICTED POWER!!!!!.
But you need batteries that are up to the task. 20amp rating and above will push coils down to .2-.3 ohms, which produce some serious flavor and vapor. I use sony vtc4 and efest purple '35'amp. Other good batteries are samsung r25 or lg he2 among others.

VV and VW mods like ones you mentioned are seriously castrated when it comes to power. Also, they keep the amps down for safety, which means they even fire below 1 or 1.2, which makes coil building a pain in the ass.

Just remember, electricity doesnt work the way you think it will, so be patient. A mech will fire any coil, its just a matter if your satisfied with its performance. Ive tried 1-1.8 ohm coils on a mech and all I can say is meh.
What atty are you using on that mech?

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My answer is, UNRESTRICTED POWER!!!!!.
But you need batteries that are up to the task. 20amp rating and above will push coils down to .2-.3 ohms, which produce some serious flavor and vapor. I use sony vtc4 and efest purple '35'amp. Other good batteries are samsung r25 or lg he2 among others.

VV and VW mods like ones you mentioned are seriously castrated when it comes to power. Also, they keep the amps down for safety, which means they even fire below 1 or 1.2, which makes coil building a pain in the ass.

Just remember, electricity doesnt work the way you think it will, so be patient. A mech will fire any coil, its just a matter if your satisfied with its performance. Ive tried 1-1.8 ohm coils on a mech and all I can say is meh.
What atty are you using on that mech?
Right now I don't have an RBA or anything. I'm using an Aspire Nautilus Mini.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I prefer the regulated mods myself for the built in protections they have.

And with the new high wattage mods that are now available, you can get the high powered performance that you used to need a mech mod to enjoy.

Just my opinion.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I prefer the regulated mods myself for the built in protections they have.

And with the new high wattage mods that are now available, you can get the high powered performance that you used to need a mech mod to enjoy.

Just my opinion.
What regulated mod(s) do you use?

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It may work well, its hard to tell. Youll just have to try it.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What regulated mod(s) do you use?

Sigelei 100 watt.
IPV2 50 watt
E-Mech 30 watt
Vaporshark DNA20
Custom DNA20
Vamo V5 15 watt

And I top them with Kayufuns and Russians and use a ProTank 2 with air control base for my stealth vaping.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's only in the past year or so that higher wattage regulated mods have come to market. Prior to that the primary way to produce more vapor (and flavor and throat hit if built correctly and suitable juice used) was to reduce the resistance of the coil, increasing the wattage produced by the battery. Mechs were for the most part more durable and in some cases less expensive (sometimes decidedly not). The drawbacks are that you need to use safe chemistry, high drain batteries only and the only protections you have are provided by you. If used with something like your Nautilus it will provide a good vape with a fresh battery but that will progressively diminish as the battery fades. Still, with a good 18650 it should last a while. Should you develop a short the battery would heat up until you removed it or it failed. With a regulated mod you have built in short protection and when you find the setting that suits it will hold the output there for as long as the battery can provide it, boosting the battery output to do so.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just choose without thinking. Every time i leave the house i pick up a mech mod. I dont even own a regulated device anymore, i know i wont use them. Maybe for christmas i buy the God Box. Or some exotic wooden mech.

tick22

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Laurel

Being a new vaper, I feel you should learn all you can, but start slow and move up at your own pace. You do not need to get into the more experience vapers mods and regulated APVs yet. get use to what you have. I think the high wattage APV are way over your head as of now. Learn Ohms laws and battery uses and safety.
Enjoy your first Mod and take it slow. It's easy to get ahead of your knowledge with all the new stuff coming out. Sales will come and go,, but buying something, you are not ready for or really don't need is forever. smiles.

Your coming out of the gate pretty fast, slow down, enjoy yourself....

VU Sponsors