Become a Patron!

Why did you start vaping?

buckshot71199

Member For 4 Years
Personally I've never been addicted to anything I would smoke from time to time at parties just because I liked the taste/feel I've dipped a little but not on a regular basis. Then I took a couple hits off my friends vapes and liked it so I got one and I'm vaping a 0mg of nicotine juice. Why did you start? And do you plan on stopping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For what it's worth, I liked my cigarettes. Must have, since I bought them for 39 years. Problem was the breathing. And the coughing. And the wheezing. And the lack of energy.......................................................................................................

Problem solved.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Same here but it is also a great stress reliever for me. We lost our son a little over a year ago and since then I have been vaping heavily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm sorry for your loss, for me also a stress reliever. :rolleyes:

njdevil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Same here but it is also a great stress reliever for me. We lost our son a little over a year ago and since then I have been vaping heavily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pesc, I know you've heard this 1,000 times already but....... I am very sorry for your loss I could not imagine how hard that must be.

As for the thread, I started vaping originally to try and quit smoking and at first I failed.
Then recently I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and smoking is regarded as a catalyst to it so I knew if I was going to beat this shit I had to do something about kicking my disgusting habit.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
i was cool with smoking no health issues... until that fire safe shit.

njdevil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i was cool with smoking no health issues... until that fire safe shit.

My father says the same thing, but I also lost my mother to lung cancer 23 years ago after she smoked for 30+ years.

Considering how I am a diabetic and now have cancer myself the cigs gotta go, after 19 years and a small fortune i figured it would probably be a good time lol.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I had quit smoking for a couple years prior to picking up vaping. Smoking had always been a stress reliever for me. I was in a situation where I found myself stressed on a daily basis and I didn't want to go back to the cancer sticks, nor did my wife want me to. So I picked up vaping as a substitute for cigarettes. Now I'm no longer in that stressful situation, but vaping has become very enjoyable for me. I have no plans to stop or lower my nic level, which is at 3mg currently.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I started entirely by accident. I quit smoking over five years ago. My wife, unfortunately, hasn't yet been able to quit the nic. She wants to tho, and, to that end: When we stopped at a local tobacconist's for a fresh can of tobacco for her, she asked the proprietor about vaping. He had rows for pre-loaded tanks with various flavours. He put one on a battery for her, said this is pineapple-mango-something-or-other and had her try it. I laughed and said "Say what?" He repeated it. "I gotta try that!" I replied. I did.

It tasted so good that... well... after two tank upgrades and an upgrade to a mod, I'm still vaping it :) (And I've an RTA on the way.)

Ironically: My wife came down with some-or-another virus, right about then, and vaping made her cough horribly. She's getting over it, now, and may give vaping another go, soon... ish. (I hope.)

No, I've no plans to give it up. Why? I'm vaping 0 nic and buying quality juice, so I doubt it's doing me any harm.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pesc, I know you've heard this 1,000 times already but....... I am very sorry for your loss I could not imagine how hard that must be.

As for the thread, I started vaping originally to try and quit smoking and at first I failed.
Then recently I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and smoking is regarded as a catalyst to it so I knew if I was going to beat this shit I had to do something about kicking my disgusting habit.

Thanks for the kind words. It has been the hardest thing I have had to go through in my life. I wish you the best in your treatment and pray for remission.
Pesc

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sorry for your loss, for me also a stress reliever. :rolleyes:
Thanks, I know there is a reason for everything but I can't understand what good could possibly come from this. My wife was a smoker when we met and she quit after hypnosis. She wanted to start smoking again because it helped her calm down. I agreed to vape with her if she would vape instead of smoke and now I think I vape more than her.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, I know there is a reason for everything but I can't understand what good could possibly come from this. My wife was a smoker when we met and she quit after hypnosis. She wanted to start smoking again because it helped her calm down. I agreed to vape with her if she would vape instead of smoke and now I think I vape more than her.
Well, the way I look at it, with vaping, no carbon monoxide, no tar both poison. If it relaxes you, tastes good you get enjoyment, why not.
If the day comes you want to stop, it sure is a lot easier to give up than cigs.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started smoking when cigarettes were 25 cents a pack. I tried vaping when they hit $2.50 a pack. They're $4.50 a pack now, and going higher. I smoked 3 packs a day.

I DIY, and use about a 30ml bottle every 2 days. At about 75 cents a bottle.

I'm a cheap SOB, so vaping comes natural.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh forgot to add.
As a giant go fuck yourself to the local and state government who raised the taxes 500% from the Master tobacco settlement to repay money they did not have.
Then they added the carpet glue bullshit to ALL cig papers and tubes and packs in the name of safety... and then raised the taxes for the motherfucking children, Not one child or children;s programs saw dime one.
Not my kids not my problem if their parents fucking fail,.They should not have fucked and brought forth life if they cannot take care of themselves at least.

I have zero problem helping those in need but refuse to help the lazy and hopeless.

teeroy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started smoking when cigarettes were 25 cents a pack. I tried vaping when they hit $2.50 a pack. They're $4.50 a pack now, and going higher. I smoked 3 packs a day.
wow....they are currently $15 for a pack of 25 up here. 2 pack a day habit for me at the end.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was a 2-pack-a-day smoker. I started when I was 15 or 16. I was already having lots of problems hacking up gook. I remember sitting at my desk in the mornings with a glass and just sitting there hocking 3 shots of fluid into it. I also wasn't making a lot of money. The 300+ dollars a month I was spending on smoking was almost half of a paycheck.

I think a lot of it just comes down to me just being at that point in my life where I really wanted to see what kind of person I was cut out to be. It was a time of lots of challenges and whirling emotions. Up until that point, I had just kind of been stagnating and wasting away. I was just sort of killing time doing lots of drugs and hanging out with nobodies... ...people with no ambitions or hobbies and really terrible conversation skills. Dunno what I ever saw in them, tbh. Maybe it's just that I saw a bit of myself in them and that brought me comfort.

One day, I just had enough and cut myself off from all of that. I decided I had too many bad habits in my thoughts and behavior, so I started vaping, exercising, cooking, going out and meeting new people, and re-programming all of my day-to-day habits. It was hard, but somehow much easier than continuing to live the life I had led before. I did a lot of reading and indulging in all sorts of mediums of art. I fed my mind with ideas from all sorts of different cultures and philosophical schools of thought.

I learned to appreciate the clarity and beauty of time to myself well-spent and discovered the true meaning of practical introspection. I finally figured out how to use my mind to guide my heart. I suppose you could say that what I had really found was my goddamned sense of agency and self-respect.

I just went out there and lived for once, man. I just started making moves and shifts impulsively. I started reaching for all of the things I had only previously been thinking about in an endless loop. It's been a crazy fucking 5 years. I can't even believe it sometimes.

Looking back, it was a period of immense personal growth in many areas and I am largely the person I am today (someone I truly like being) because of the changes I took upon myself in that period of my life. I suppose you can chalk it up to that crushing existential crisis we all experience as young-adults... ...the everyday fear of life. It's a big ol' whirl out there. Sometimes you just gotta jump in - try something new and see where it takes you... ...maybe even some things you think you don't want to do. Be patient and honest with yourself. These were the mantras that fueled my interest in vaping and many other things at the time.

Perhaps that's why I still have a lot of love for vaping now, several years later. It's a landmark for a time when my thinking and my general approach to life really took a turn for the better. It was just coincidental, really. Can't say I have vaping to thank for any of this. It was just a case of "Right time, right place, right mindset."

Sorry to get all sappy and shit. That one really struck a nerve. Can't say I didn't answer the question though!

Last edited:

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
wow....they are currently $15 for a pack of 25 up here. 2 pack a day habit for me at the end.

I know lol My SO is from Canada. I cringed every time I came. Hoping I had enough cigarettes to last the trip. Running out of smokes in Canada really takes a bite out of you. Even with the exchange rate.

Now, I just keep my fingers crossed, and hope they don't ask what's in the bottles. But even that wouldn't be a big lose. I shipped a few bottles, just in case and there's a B&M right down the street.

Now I just deal with the high cost of gas. You guys are really getting hosed. :/

I paid just over .58 CDN a liter for it at home.

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
To get bitches, still hasn't paid off but I'm hopeful. Same reason I got these damn tattoos.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was a 2-pack-a-day smoker. I started when I was 15 or 16. I was already having lots of problems hacking up gook. I remember sitting at my desk in the mornings with a glass and just sitting there hocking 3 shots of fluid into it. I also wasn't making a lot of money. The 300+ dollars a month I was spending on smoking was almost half of a paycheck.

I think a lot of it just comes down to me just being at that point in my life where I really wanted to see what kind of person I was cut out to be. It was a time of lots of challenges and whirling emotions. Up until that point, I had just kind of been stagnating and wasting away. I was just sort of killing time doing lots of drugs and hanging out with nobodies... ...people with no ambitions or hobbies and really terrible conversation skills. Dunno what I ever saw in them, tbh. Maybe it's just that I saw a bit of myself in them and that brought me comfort.

One day, I just had enough and cut myself off from all of that. I decided I had too many bad habits in my thoughts and behavior, so I started vaping, exercising, cooking, going out and meeting new people, and re-programming all of my day-to-day habits. It was hard, but somehow much easier than continuing to live the life I had led before. I did a lot of reading and indulging in all sorts of mediums of art. I fed my mind with ideas from all sorts of different cultures and philosophical schools of thought.

I learned to appreciate the clarity and beauty of time to myself well-spent and discovered the true meaning of practical introspection. I finally figured out how to use my mind to guide my heart. I suppose you could say that what I had really found was my goddamned sense of agency and self-respect.

I just went out there and lived for once, man. I just started making moves and shifts impulsively. I started reaching for all of the things I had only previously been thinking about in an endless loop. It's been a crazy fucking 5 years. I can't even believe it sometimes.

Looking back, it was a period of immense personal growth in many areas and I am largely the person I am today (someone I truly like being) because of the changes I took upon myself in that period of my life. I suppose you can chalk it up to that crushing existential crisis we all experience as young-adults... ...the everyday fear of life. It's a big ol' whirl out there. Sometimes you just gotta jump in - try something new and see where it takes you... ...maybe even some things you think you don't want to do. Be patient and honest with yourself. These were the mantras that fueled my interest in vaping and many other things at the time.

Perhaps that's why I still have a lot of love for vaping now, several years later. It's a landmark for a time when my thinking and my general approach to life really took a turn for the better. It was just coincidental, really. Can't say I have vaping to thank for any of this. It was just a case of "Right time, right place, right mindset."

Sorry to get all sappy and shit. That one really struck a nerve. Can't say I didn't answer the question though!

The greatest thing about NOT smoking to me. I diverted that money to monthly airfare, instead of every other month. So it's like traveling for free now. And I never miss the money.

For us heavy smokers, the amount of "free" money we have after quitting. Is like getting a week or 2 of extra pay per month. Especially if you've smoked for years, like I have.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For me,just to relieve stress.I never smoked before...:)

I've been told, I haven't tried it yet. But if you lock your hands around the offenders neck. That's a great reliever of stress also.

I may need to try this in a few hours lol

Focking Vaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been told, I haven't tried it yet. But if you lock your hands around the offenders neck. That's a great reliever of stress also.

I may need to try this in a few hours lol
Yeah,I have tried some stress relievers before like doing some sports,but I failed.Cuz I'm a damn lazy guy.lol

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The greatest thing about NOT smoking to me. I diverted that money to monthly airfare, instead of every other month. So it's like traveling for free now. And I never miss the money.

For us heavy smokers, the amount of "free" money we have after quitting. Is like getting a week or 2 of extra pay per month. Especially if you've smoked for years, like I have.
Oh yes, yes it is. I still set aside that money and adjust for the fluctuations in prices. I've traveled to a lot of places and acquired a lot of nice things since I quit. One thing heavy smoking teaches you is really solid money management. Now that I don't have to set aside that money for smoking, if I want something, I can just buy it and not be hurting because of it. It feels really good to not be flexing every time you want to drop some cash on something.

And on the flipside, there have been times when that money has really saved my ass. I think those are the moments when the reality of just how expensive smoking can be really rings truest. I'd have been fucked if I had been smoking... ...and probably smoking rollies of cheap tobacco like TOP or Bugler... ...taking the leftovers and rolling new ones from the scraps. Blechm. You know you've got it bad when you're smoking entire cigarettes made from ones you already smoked! That's some gritty shit!

Now that is why Ricky from TPB always stole em.
The greater mystery here is how Cory and Trevor always seemed to have them.

For me,just to relieve stress.I never smoked before...:)
Some people might frown on that for political reasons, but I think that it's the lesser of two evils from a public health angle. As long as you're not smoking!

Work on those physical outlets though. Believe it or not, if you do it enough, you magically become less lazy. And a hell of a lot calmer, across the board.

Last edited:

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started out of interest in the technology. I liked smoking and had it down pat after practicing for over 40 years. As with everything I buy, I spent a few months researching before I made any purchases so my first device was an 18650 tube (Chuck; think primative Silver Bullet). As I vaped, cigarettes became more distasteful. I endured and could not imagine giving up that first smoke in the morning with my coffee. On the seventh day vaping, that first cigarette tasted like sucking on the tailpipe of a manure truck. I put it out and never looked back.

I work in the golf business meaning very long hours. Smoking has always given me a way to wind down from the day. I used to smoke a lot of hookah and cigars. Although I still have my hookah and keep a nice cigar collection, I like to think vaping is safer and is definitely less time consuming.

A couple months ago, I went to a hookah shop and thought about an ehookah. I loved my hookah but is just way too time consuming between, setup, smoke session, and cleanup. The salesperson knew ehookahs are garbage but turned me onto a Kanger Subtank Mini starter kit. The rest is history.

Thank God that guy didn't sell me a piece of garbage. I did zero research(I am very impulsive), and definitely overpaid, but in the end, I started with a great little kit I still use today. Thanks hookah shop owner.

Matty Nuggs, PGA

hanzfree

Member For 4 Years
I smoked through high school, managed to quit and stay off them for about a year and a half. Joined the army and during a field training excersize I picked it back up. Got home and the wife was pissed, terrifyingly so. Started talking to work buddies who vaped and they let me try it and it intrigued me. Talked my wife into letting me try it. When we went to the shop my wife saw the massive list of flavors and ended up trying them with me. Started with a ego style pen, now about 9 months later I'm using a mad hatter on a smok m80 and the couple of times I've tried cigarettes since they taste like I'm sucking the exhaust from a big rig. Vaping saved my life and more importantly my marriage.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really wanted to look cool...but I couldn't get any tatoos because I'm afraid of needles...and my skin is too wrinkely.....

VU Sponsors