Become a Patron!

Why do certain juices crack plastic tanks?

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
(Ok, just a disclaimer: I DID search the forum and google before asking, but I didn't find it answered anywhere here in VU. I thought maybe if it gets asked/answered here, it'll help those that do google it stumble into VU for the answer, whilst also maybe helping out anyone that is here and too lazy to google)

I've seen on some juices I wanna try a little warning about potentially cracking plastic tanks, so use glass only for these.

Are there basically certain oils that have a bad reaction with plastic?

Anyone wanna elaborate?

vapire

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Menthol/ minty flavours and citrus (not necessarily together) react chemically with polycarbonate and polypropylene and make them crack.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Menthol/ minty flavours along with with citrus react chemically with polycarbonate and polypropylene and make them crack.

I've also heard about cinnamon flavors having a tendency to mess things up, is that true?

vapire

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ahh yes forgot about that one . The acidity breaks down the plastic.
I've also heard about cinnamon flavors having a tendency to mess things up, is that true?

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just dug up my first aga. I used a lot of menthol juice in this. Hadn't considered attributing it to menthol. I think also it cracked up because of heat and bad plastic

image.jpg

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Menthol/ minty flavours and citrus (not necessarily together) react chemically with polycarbonate and polypropylene and make them crack.

Actually, polypropylene is safe to use with tank crackers. It's polycarbonate, polycarb blends and acrylic that have problems. And don't forget drip tips! Often the first reaction you will notice with a tank cracker is that the bottom of the drip tip will get mushy if it's not glass, stone, metal or Delrin.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My pmma patriots crack under intense heat but I've never gotten so much as a misting or clouding up with my kayfuns. I personally have never heard anyone mention of the plastic part of a kayfun cracking, yet.

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My pmma patriots crack under intense heat but I've never gotten so much as a misting or clouding up with my kayfuns. I personally have never heard anyone mention of the plastic part of a kayfun cracking, yet.

I've only read of one person whose Kayfun cracked, but there are always variables, like the thickness of the material, how long a juice is left in the tank, a specific vendor's recipe, etc. My ADV is one of the strongest crackers I'm aware of. It can melt a clearo from across the room, so I got glass nano tanks for my Kayfuns to be on the safe side.

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I mixed up some strawberry lemonade and clouded my kayfun :(

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mixed up some strawberry lemonade and clouded my kayfun :(
Hmmmm. Must've been the lemonade. I've been vaping strawberry since the first moment I squeezed a bottle. If that lemonade is anything like the cola I remember then it's got something dodgy in it cos cola flav was kinda fizzy. My flavs are very basic now. They clog atties but that's all

I cracked several kayfun plastic tanks, an M-tank, 2 nanos and the mini's tank. Whats a little weird is that the same juice, fuzion's unicorn blood, was fine in my kayfun with the nano plastic tank so I put it in the mini and bam it cracked in 5 minutes. The other tanks were killed by a tropical punch that had no warnings, one cracked within a few minutes the other lasted weeks then cracked when I washed it. Go figure...

Vap_Lama

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So my
Frozen cantaloup might crack my tank? :(

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They can, but in my experience, candy and red hot type cinnamon flavors are more likely to to be tank crackers than more lightly flavored dessert or bakery type cinnamon vapes...that might not necessarily be the case with all of them though....at some point, most folks end up just buying glass tanks for everything or using the metal tanks for their Kayfuns and dont worry about any of this anymore...

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I prefer glass or quartz tanks on my Kayfuns. You don't have to worry about tank crackers and you can see how much liquid you have left.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I apologize, the font of the disclaimer is too small for my old eyes. I posted a link instead of writing the whole thing again over here.

Oh sorry about that! I made it small so it wouldn't be too distracting.. maybe that wasn't too bright LOL
Anyways, thanks for the info!!

And just for shiggles, here's what the disclaimer says: "(Ok, just a disclaimer: I DID search the forum and google before asking, but I didn't find it answered anywhere here in VU. I thought maybe if it gets asked/answered here, it'll help those that do google it stumble into VU for the answer, whilst also maybe helping out anyone that is here and too lazy to google)"

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
as far as cinimonimon in Ejuice (spelt this way to show it disrespect) is concerned, its just so nasty, the tank tries to run away. Cinnamon only belongs on cake donuts and in indian and punjabi food. IMO.....hehehehehe

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
as far as cinimonimon in Ejuice (spelt this way to show it disrespect) is concerned, its just so nasty, the tank tries to run away. Cinnamon only belongs on cake donuts and in indian and punjabi food. IMO.....hehehehehe
And on your cappuccino

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

What, why?
I'm vaping Cinabon from Ecig Outpost and it's friggen delightful.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What, why?
I'm vaping Cinabon from Ecig Outpost and it's friggen delightful.

I just have an utter distaste for cinnamon in my vape juice.....Not sure why, I have a 30ml bottle of Cinabon in my Box O Juices that will most likely sit there till Christmas, then Ill give it another shot. I think i'm just partial to seasonal flavors in my food and that carried over to my vape habits.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just have an utter distaste for cinnamon in my vape juice.....Not sure why, I have a 30ml bottle of Cinabon in my Box O Juices that will most likely sit there till Christmas, then Ill give it another shot. I think i'm just partial to seasonal flavors in my food and that carried over to my vape habits.

Ohhhh ok, I gotcha. I can't do any kinda minty vapes. I love actual mint flavors in foods, but vaping it just reminds me of menthol cigs and I spin out gagging. :p

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I hated menthols, but I got a berry melon menthol for my mom to try, she wants to try quitting the sticks after 40 years. So i looked for a high ice style sweet flavor for her.....I tasted it first, dont want to send Momma nuttin bad right....shit was gooooooood lol. I had to order a bottle for myself.

Aquaman

Member For 4 Years
I think a list of tank crackers is good but I would prefer a list tanks that can or will crack so I could stay away from them altogether. My first vape (yesterday) was with an Aspire Pyrex ET-S BDC and black licorice mixed with cherry (tastes like cherry coke). I do have an iclear30 which came with my MVP and an EVOD - both have plastic tanks that will probably sit in a dark corner till I can fully understand what's a safe juice for them.

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a fear of glass tanks..... I drop things often. It's not like I have a problem holding on to them or anything but, noch it off the table while replying to a post, falls out of pocket when bending down to pick up something else I knocked off same table, (my best one) sanding a wood block for project I'm working on and vape pen falls out of pocket onto table belt sander and zooooom 8 inch rocket. Wife says stick to plastic.......

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My take on this is that all tanks can crack, glass is prone to droppage breaks and plastics, polycarbonate or otherwise from juice. The reason that we see non glass tanks breaking down is that some favors are oil based. Oils will dissolve plastic over time, plain and simple. They come from the same chemical compound and as such will react with each other. Think of it this way, how do you best dissolve an oil stain (think working on cars) - gasoline. They are both hydrocarbons and as such can mix, blend, aka clean.

Plastics of all kinds are oil based so another oil based chemical can actually start to "blend" with it thus reducing its structural integrity - resulting in a crack, or in severe cases a full on melted tank.

VU Sponsors