Become a Patron!

Why do DNA mods go for so much more money?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have never used a DNA mod so ... what am I missing?

Thxz in advance!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use mostly all DBA mods, I have a few others but my go to every day devices are almost all DNA powered.

Why are they so expensive? The DNA 200/250/133/167 board alone is 75-80$
Why are they so expensive? Partially the law of supply and demand, but additionally all the little things you can do to customize your vape and the accuracy of tc with it.
Also, they warranty the board for a full year, offer good customer service and the board itself is very high Quality construction.
Evolv is also not without fuckup, the DNA 40 was a fucking disaster, I had 9 of 9 fail. And they fixed replaced and covered each one at their own cost.

Now all that said, if you don't vape tc I would say you're not missing a thing and can probably get better performance from a yihi powered mod like sxq class or m class, the ipv mods and even much higher quality device from say craving vapors line of okl mods.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use mostly all DBA mods, I have a few others but my go to every day devices are almost all DNA powered.

Why are they so expensive? The DNA 200/250/133/167 board alone is 75-80$
Why are they so expensive? Partially the law of supply and demand, but additionally all the little things you can do to customize your vape and the accuracy of tc with it.
Also, they warranty the board for a full year, offer good customer service and the board itself is very high Quality construction.
Evolv is also not without fuckup, the DNA 40 was a fucking disaster, I had 9 of 9 fail. And they fixed replaced and covered each one at their own cost.

Now all that said, if you don't vape tc I would say you're not missing a thing and can probably get better performance from a yihi powered mod like sxq class or m class, the ipv mods and even much higher quality device from say craving vapors line of okl mods.

Thanks, f1r3b1rd! Good to know all those things. I like TC so maybe a DNA Lavabox or similar will be in my future? (as soon as prices go down!)

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Because theyre worth it if you are into TC. Keep in mind not all DNA mods are created equally so do your research on the mods and check for reliability issues, a good chip doesnt matter if its inside a shitty box.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Because theyre worth it if you are into TC. Keep in mind not all DNA mods are created equally so do your research on the mods and check for reliability issues, a good chip doesnt matter if its inside a shitty box.

Thank you, jbone6977! I'll keep that in mind. :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks, f1r3b1rd! Good to know all those things. I like TC so maybe a DNA Lavabox or similar will be in my future? (as soon as prices go down!)
Well, they are dumping the dna133/200 board in favor of the dna167/250 board. So all DNA 200s and 133s will be sold off and relaunched with the new board. Vapor shark has done jt to their line. In fact I had my dna200 sharks swapped out 2 weeks ago with the new 250 board. The changes are largely the components on the board have been upgraded, the fuse improved and the onboard charger swapped out for a 2a speed charger. Also the as tc is noticeably smoother side by side to the old board, its unnoticeable otherwise though.
Also, the lavabox and vs shark are only 900 may 3s batteries, so your vape time could be limited.
With a o.2-0.3 ohm as Clapton at 60w I get 4-5. Hours. Which isn't bad considering the 2a charger gets me from nearly empty to full in 45 minutes.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well I'm the kind of individual who wants to be on the forefront of technology but the new mods will be way out of my price range. I have only enough money to pick up one more mod to fill my collection for the next 3 to 6 months, so it needs to be something I will absolutely love without breaking the bank (and hopefully it will be 100w to 200w).

If I can't afford a DNA this go-round, I'll make sure it is the next purchase after whatever I will be getting and maybe by then I'll be able to afford the top-of-the-line DNA mod.

Thanks again for all the info! :)

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I have never used a DNA mod so ... what am I missing?

Thxz in advance!
pretty much what people said. great for temp control plus demand and a good warranty.
If you are looking at temp control, another mod i'd suggest is the hohmslice I think the SE version are still on sale for 30 bucks and the LE version around 45-50. It's a much better single battery then the DNA75 boards. the DNA200 and DNA250 are great boards though. Some good devices form them are the Hgcigar VT133 and VT167, Lost vape Therion 133 and 176, Thinkvape Finder 133 and 167. all dual 18650 mods. Some have built in lipos like the lavabox which is also a great mod and on sale for around 100 bucks right now IIRC

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well I'm the kind of individual who wants to be on the forefront of technology but the new mods will be way out of my price range. I have only enough money to pick up one more mod to fill my collection for the next 3 to 6 months, so it needs to be something I will absolutely love without breaking the bank (and hopefully it will be 100w to 200w).

If I can't afford a DNA this go-round, I'll make sure it is the next purchase after whatever I will be getting and maybe by then I'll be able to afford the top-of-the-line DNA mod.

what are you looking to spend and what are your power needs?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

Whats your price range?
I recommend these since the G2 is going for around 65 bucks and the Slice is going for around 30 for the SE and 45ish for the LE
I also have a how to video on using them and there is a lot of support here as well. the TC is amazing, all the settings are done on the mod itself. it's easy to use and not too pricy. the slice is 101 watts single 26650 battery mod, the G2 is 171 watts dual 18650 battery mod

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
what are you looking to spend and what are your power needs?

I am looking to spend $150 maximum (without tax/shipping/whatever) and I want a mod rated at 100w-200w. No kit needed, I can figure out the tank situation on my own.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Whats your price range?
I recommend these since the G2 is going for around 65 bucks and the Slice is going for around 30 for the SE and 45ish for the LE
I also have a how to video on using them and there is a lot of support here as well. the TC is amazing, all the settings are done on the mod itself. it's easy to use and not too pricy. the slice is 101 watts single 26650 battery mod, the G2 is 171 watts dual 18650 battery mod

Thanks, Anthony! I will keep the G2 in mind. And just to say again I'm looking at 100w-200w and $150 maximum for mod-only. And it does not HAVE to be the most expensive or the most powerful mod but I do want and require a high-quality mod.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I am looking to spend $150 maximum (without tax/shipping/whatever) and I want a mod rated at 100w-200w. No kit needed, I can figure out the tank situation on my own.
150 bucks will get you pretty much anything
The slice is 101 watts
the G2 is 171 watts

The Finder 167 is a 167 watt DNA250 mod and can be found around 100-120ish IIRC. i got mine for 104.00 on black Friday
Other options for DNA250 mods are the therion 167, VT167, Triad 250 (triple battery mod), Finder 250 (triple battery mod) and VT250 (triple battery mod)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Perfect! Thxz!!
No worries dude! That mod is gorgeous and very well made!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Perfect! Thxz!!
It's a great mod and IMO the best looking mod out there. DNA250 board is great much better then the DNA75 board.
and the abalone fire button is a nice touch. They have quite a few color options as well and the leather battery doors feel really nice.
04WO7Aj.jpg

I used it in my latest review

Just remember you have to set it up via a PC. so you'll need a PC (no MAC version) to program the device. but you can get plenty of help here on it! it's not that complicated once you get used to it and mind you I'm no expert at escribe but i learned it pretty quick

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Another thing I personally (and this is preference) like with the finder over the thereon is the finder has a more centered 510 pin so it handles 25mm tanks beautifully. almost handles 30mm tanks but they stick out just a tiny bit on the sides but not the front or back

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Blue FTW! Also I'm happy to hear about 25mm tanks because I have an Aspire Cleito 120 which would work beautifully at the higher wattages.
nice! IIRC @NickIsANoob just got that one in. the pics he posted of the mod looked beautiful. The clieto is a great tank as well. Pictures don't really do the mod justice. it looks much nicer in person. has a really nice finish to it. Very clean and shiny.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Looking forward to the 167! Updates when I get it.
here is the file. I'd recommend downloading escribe so you can play around with it while waiting for your mod to come.
It's not my final version yet as i have some adjustments to make to it.
you have to change the file from a .pdf to a .ecig file after you download to get it to open in escribe
escibe > https://downloads.evolvapor.com/SetupES.exe

Attachments

• 122216 Finder167 Settings AM copy.pdf
    42.7 KB · Views: 4

Whiskeywarrior

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The therion has some limitations like only being able to go down to .15 ohm on VW

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Profile saved, Anthony!

Thanks for the info, Whiskeywarrior!
no problem! I'll let you know when i have an updated one. probably do so this weekend but this is a good start to play around with.
Also what batteries are you using? I'll make the profile match your batteries

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
no problem! I'll let you know when i have an updated one. probably do so this weekend but this is a good start to play around with.
Also what batteries are you using? I'll make the profile match your batteries

Which batteries do you recommend? So far I am only using a good yellow and black LG 18650 in my Pico (my Vtwo mod has an internal battery).

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Which batteries do you recommend? So far I am only using a good yellow and black LG 18650 in my Pico (my Vtwo mod has an internal battery).
not sure about a black LG. i know the yellow is the HE4.
I'd recommend using the samsung 30Q personally. other good options are sony VCT5a or VCT6, LG HG2
Buy from a good site like
illumn.com
liionwholesale.com
imrbatteries.com

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is a yellow battery with black writing that starts with LG.

I might just go to the local Vape shop and get batteries there but if not I'll check out one of those sites you mentioned. :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It is a yellow battery with black writing that starts with LG.

I might just go to the local Vape shop and get batteries there but if not I'll check out one of those sites you mentioned. :)
Just be ware of fakes. Only buy Samsung, LG, or Sony. Don't let them sell you an efest or AWT or anything like that
Yellow with black writing is an LG HE4. it's a good battery. 20 amp 2500mah

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I got mine from Vape Royalty, but with the red ostrich. Love the mod, excellent service from VR. Enjoy it, I use mine just about every day.
yeah VR is a solid site. a little more pricey then some but good service and i get my item in 2-3 days because they ship only about 90 miles from where i live. I used to use them alot back in the days

rchmx

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey @SirRichardRear , could you do a quick rundown of why the DNA75 board is inferior to the DNA200? I thought it was pretty much the same thing, just set up to run on a single battery of course.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DNA 75 maxes out at 6 volts is the big thing.
so a Tootle puffer may not be able to get 30 watts out of their high ohm MTL coil.
a 1.8 ohm coil maxes out at 20 watts on the DNA75.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
The DNA 75 sucks for some users.
I love mine- I have the S-Body Legend 75 DNA, they work perfectly and I can use an 18650 or 26650 battery, I do not vape over 30w on a .5Ω coil, which I like . I will probably get the HCigar VT75 nano next. Some of these mods suggested are huge, square, heavy mods, taking 2 or more batteries, way too much for my vaping, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes..

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love mine- I have the S-Body Legend 75 DNA, they work perfectly and I can use an 18650 or 26650 battery, I do not vape over 30w . I will probably get the HCigar VT75 nano next. Some of these mods suggested are huge, square, heavy mods, taking 2 or more batteries, way too much for my vaping, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes..
yep you can't vape over 30 watts with a 1.2 ohm coil.
It is a real problem for the way some vape.

what ever happened to the DNA60? I think it had higher output voltage.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hey @SirRichardRear , could you do a quick rundown of why the DNA75 board is inferior to the DNA200? I thought it was pretty much the same thing, just set up to run on a single battery of course.
the big difference is the DNA75 has 85% efficiency while the DNA200 and 250 are at 97% so you get worse battery life and when your battery runs low it fires very weak or won't fire at all. Outside of that though they are pretty much the same outside the volt/watt/amp limits that come with a single battery compared to a dual battery/triple battery/lipo.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I decided to play it safe and grab a Wismec Releaux 2/3 in cyan while it's on sale on vape royalty instead of jumping right to a DNA mod. I need to save the money for other things like coils (I haven't learned rebuilding yet) and juice.

$44.50 for the mod, $20 for two LG HG2 batteries.

I can't wait to test it with my Aspire Cleito 120 on top! :)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
So I decided to play it safe and grab a Wismec Releaux 2/3 in cyan while it's on sale on vape royalty instead of jumping right to a DNA mod. I need to save the money for other things like coils (I haven't learned rebuilding yet) and juice.

$44.50 for the mod, $20 for two LG HG2 batteries.

I can't wait to test it with my Aspire Cleito 120 on top! :)
As long as your happy with I'm glad you got what you wanted. not my 1st recommendation for sure, and don't charge it in the mod as it doesn't do balanced charging. get an external charger (which is always better anyway). I would have went with the alien or xcube ultra at the same price from that site or save 10 bucks and get an hpriv personally.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is why ...SS316L DNA200 (Red is the temp) The RX is a good mod enjoy.
DNA 200.jpg

VU Sponsors