Become a Patron!

Why does my mod hit harder with the battery inverted?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi
After putting my battery in upside down by accident I noticed my mod suddenly hit harder..has anybody else had this happen to them too?

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
what mod. in general it is not safe to invert a battery it makes dead shorts and thermal runaway happen easier. at least as i understand it

HoseGarden

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what mod. in general it is not safe to invert a battery it makes dead shorts and thermal runaway happen easier. at least as i understand it

thermal runaway is the same as venting?

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
thermal runaway is the same as venting?
venting can happen for many reasons but in short yes thermal runaway is the biggest form of venting.

added definition "
Thermal runaway refers to a situation where an increase in temperature changes the conditions in a way that causes a further increase in temperature, often leading to a destructive result. It is a kind of uncontrolled positive feedback.

In other words, "thermal runaway" describes a process which is accelerated by increased temperature, in turn releasing energy that further increases temperature. "

when you invert a battery unless the mods shell and switch is somehow insulated.
you are running the positive up the sleeve so an open circuit is easier to happen

Zombiewoof

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If your mod's made in China,it's because they're upside down...I mean we all know if you dig a hole in your yard all the way to china they'll be upside down, right?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BCV Copper BFM
0945c6a7979ea2a244b7fa0893bf55de.jpg
595c0ab61c6b81a3197f52c65c6392da.jpg

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi
After putting my battery in upside down by accident I noticed my mod suddenly hit harder..has anybody else had this happen to them too?

With a mechanical mod, yes, many times. It's nothing to do with polarity. A coil doesn't care which way the electrons are flowing. I would bet that it's simply a matter of your +/- contact surfaces mating slightly better that way. These surfaces are all imperfect and slight differences affect current delivery. That's why, for example, with spring-loaded mods I often find myself either grinding a flat spot on the end of the spring where it contacts the battery or replacing the spring altogether with another stronger one. Can make a big difference in delivered current.

Last edited:
Inverting batteries in a Tube mod. Won't harm it but there are safety precautions that need to be taken. Some mods are made with the vent holes facing down my smpl tube mod is button vented. If I run pos to atty it will not release the gasses correctly resulting in a biiig problem. In that mod I run them upside down for that reason. Vent side (+) faces vent holes. To properly vent the damaged cell. But please be cautious and check the batteries everytime you go to put them into the tube.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Inverting batteries in a Tube mod. Won't harm it but there are safety precautions that need to be taken. Some mods are made with the vent holes facing down my smpl tube mod is button vented. If I run pos to atty it will not release the gasses correctly resulting in a biiig problem. In that mod I run them upside down for that reason. Vent side (+) faces vent holes. To properly vent the damaged cell. But please be cautious and check the batteries everytime you go to put them into the tube.
Wow. You shouldn't be using a SMPL. The button is specifically designed to contact the negative side of a battery with an intact wrapper. Putting it in backwards is begging for it to begin auto firing as soon as the button is screwed in. You revived a ridiculously old thread to tell people to do something ridiculously dangerous. Nice job. :facepalm:

VU Sponsors