Become a Patron!

Why is charging your mod battery more dangerous than charging laptop?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people, hope your all doing OK.

Why does the media band on about Vape batteries, when I found out a couple days ago bundles of them are what powers out laptops!

Are they really that dangerous, or is it because vapes work to stop smokers, so any ammunition possible is used?

Any one got any thoughts on this?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure about this question, I have heard that some have taken laptop batteries out if they are the correct ones, but I have never tried to.
I am sure some one will come along that knows way more about this than me, Good luck buddy:)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure about this question, I have heard that some have taken laptop batteries out if they are the correct ones, but I have never tried to.
I am sure some one will come along that knows way more about this than me, Good luck buddy:)
I took apart a camcorder battery, inside was two 18650's, so I do believe laptops do use them too. Hopefully theres a battery expert that knows why they are safer, or even if they are safer, for all we know we have been charging 9 18650's on our laps for years.(Which we have, if they are safer is the question)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Laptop batteries are actually less safe because they use ICR18650 type batteries.

We are mostly using high drain safe tech IMR18650's in our mods.

Cheap ego batteries are more likely to fail.

Idiots using subtanks on hybrid mech mods are also the ones who blow themselves up.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Laptop batteries are actually less safe because they use ICR18650 type batteries.

We are mostly using high drain safe tech IMR18650's in our mods.

Cheap ego batteries are more likely to fail.

Idiots using subtanks on hybrid mech mods are also the ones who blow themselves up.

They are LESS safe? I am lucky I still have a groin lol.

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regarding the dangers of charging. The battery carries fault for a small part of the danger. It is, in fact, cheap & unreliable chargers that pose the greatest risk of catastrophic result.

A quality charger stops charging when the battery is fully charged. Cheapo chargers don't make this distinction reliably. Most of the hype you note concerning the dangers of charging is directed at the general user that does not know one charger from another. If my house burns down because I type this, I'll have a burnt down house, but ... I regularly charge overnight and while I'm away working using my Xtar and my LUC chargers. I only empty them when I'm not carrying them out of town for weekend trips. Note: I set the LUC to .5 Amp charge and I use the center bays on the XTAR which select .5 Amp charge, but I do this for diminished effect from accumulated charge cycles.

All that posited ... I am going to argue that the laptop chargers are more universally equipped with a reliable auto shutoff. That is to suggest that the average laptop charger meets a higher safety threshold than the starter Li cell chargers.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Laptops use packs of 4 or 6 etc.. They aren't subject to the high amperage demand that can be put on a single cell mod or even a dual cell in a high wattage mod.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@dred says it all about charging - laptops are generally charged with factory-approved devices designed for the batteries. If an e-cig battery blows up while charging, it's probably due to a bad, no-name charger.

But it seems like your question is also going into the battery realm as well, where we'd need to talk more about how vape batteries are used, rather than how they're charged. Because vaping requires a heavy amperage draw, we need to use "safe chemistry" batteries like IMR that can handle the strain without generating excess heat. Just because different batteries are the same size doesn't mean they perform the same, or were ever intended to be used in similar applications.

For a long time, 18650 was one of the more popular battery cells to use in lots of devices - camcorders, laptops, battery packs for cordless power tools, the list goes on. They're now being replaced by lithium polymer packs, but that's off-topic...the point is that it takes a lot less power to run a camcorder than a vape mod, but you expect that power to last longer - you want your camcorder to run for a few hours at a time, but you'd never vape for more than 5-10 seconds at once.

Most vape accidents that happen while vaping are because people take these batteries that are designed to run for a long time under a low power load and stuff them in a mod that is designed to demand high power in quick bursts. When you over-tax a battery that wasn't meant to be used this way, it creates a lot of heat. You may recall from basic science class that many compounds, including the highly-flammable electrolytes found in batteries, expand as they heat up. Since there's nowhere within the battery for this heat energy to expand to, the battery is forced to "vent," or in extreme cases (or ones that involve you using a mod with no vent holes) explode. I'm no chemist, so this is about as far as my explanation goes - hopefully I've got the basics correctly represented.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Regarding the dangers of charging. The battery carries fault for a small part of the danger. It is, in fact, cheap & unreliable chargers that pose the greatest risk of catastrophic result.

A quality charger stops charging when the battery is fully charged. Cheapo chargers don't make this distinction reliably. Most of the hype you note concerning the dangers of charging is directed at the general user that does not know one charger from another. If my house burns down because I type this, I'll have a burnt down house, but ... I regularly charge overnight and while I'm away working using my Xtar and my LUC chargers. I only empty them when I'm not carrying them out of town for weekend trips. Note: I set the LUC to .5 Amp charge and I use the center bays on the XTAR which select .5 Amp charge, but I do this for diminished effect from accumulated charge cycles.

All that posited ... I am going to argue that the laptop chargers are more universally equipped with a reliable auto shutoff. That is to suggest that the average laptop charger meets a higher safety threshold than the starter Li cell chargers.

I use the XTAR at .5 amps here as well.
The best vaping related upgrade I ever made was to upgrade from the $20 nitecore 4 bay charger to a $40 xstar 4 bay charger.
I use the nitecore for my ni-mh AA & AAA batteries only now.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I use a nitecore L2 charger, is this a safe one? I'm sure nitecore is a good brand, it says it has worldwide insurance so I guess it is.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The main difference is that laptop battery packs have protection circuits and many failsafes that protect from most problematic situations and are designed for the specific battery cell being used. Also the batteries aren't being stressed nearly as much. There's also the charger variable as mentioned above.

Nitecore are good chargers, the only caveat is that there are a lot of really convincing Nitecore fakes out there.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The main difference is that laptop battery packs have protection circuits and many failsafes that protect from most problematic situations and are designed for the specific battery cell being used. Also the batteries aren't being stressed nearly as much. There's also the charger variable as mentioned above.

Nitecore are good chargers, the only caveat is that there are a lot of really convincing Nitecore fakes out there.
I did buy from a reputable place, and my nautilus scratch off code thingy was real, so I gather the rest is. With the advent of regulated mods, do you think it is becoming safer?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I did buy from a reputable place, and my nautilus scratch off code thingy was real, so I gather the rest is. With the advent of regulated mods, do you think it is becoming safer?

For sure it's safer with a regulated mod, but that still doesn't fix when the battery is out of the mod it's unprotected.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For sure it's safer with a regulated mod, but that still doesn't fix when the battery is out of the mod it's unprotected.
Thats very true, but as long as I stick to genuine chargers, it should be pretty safe right? Like it has auto cut off when full and such protection measures.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
yeah but there's still stuff like making sure your batteries never touch anything metal (keep them in cases at all times). Generally as long as you're educated on what not to do and careful you can be safe, the problem is many aren't willing to do that and are careless.

VU Sponsors