Become a Patron!

Why is it that no matter what color juice you use your coil always gunks up black?

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I used the clearest juice posible in one of my recent builds with cotton and it still gunked up black. Given i was sub-ohming on a dual coil build(.5ohms). I was hoping it would save me from having to change coils as often but no dice. Still need to change the whick and dry burn in about a week.

I am trying this out with an ecowool build now and see a little better improvement so far. I am also beginning to like using silica or ecowool much better because i can tell it does not gunk up as fast. But using silica in the past has still shown gunking as black.

It's vapor after all, not smoke. Why the tar look?

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You're heating up Juice to very high temps.. yes it is vapor but not water vaper so over some time there will be a build up of burnt residue/juice around the coil

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are particles of solids in your juices that don't vaporize. They accumulate on the coil and act as an insulation which causes your coil to reach higher temps before your juice vaporizes. The particles are burnt onto the coil and the condition get worse. Juice picks up color from the carbon and goes dark.
The idea behind the new temp control dna is if you keep the coil below burn temp you won't build up gunk on the coil.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Probably carbon. Happens a lot when you burn biological stuff.

Indeed. The best proof is, if you feed less power to the coil (or run two coils in your atty without jacking up the power), the coil stays nice and white for a very long time, because it never can reach the temperature required to burn or caramelize some of the juice.

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is always something left behind especially with the organic juices. It is the physics of vaporizing solids. I simply change the coils when needed. I consider it part of the price I pay to vape good stuff with natural flavor.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Indeed. The best proof is, if you feed less power to the coil (or run two coils in your atty without jacking up the power), the coil stays nice and white for a very long time, because it never can reach the temperature required to burn or caramelize some of the juice.

Agree , i always vape higher than normal ohm builds and my wicking stays white forever it seems , Rayon is very durable and stays clean far longer than some other wicking materials.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
wow.. i drip.. so when my wick looks like it is changing colors, i just pull it out and put in a new one..

CloudPusher

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
wow.. i drip.. so when my wick looks like it is changing colors, i just pull it out and put in a new one..

Thank you for gracing us with your glorious insight. :D

webbb82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Gunk Sucks

Last edited:

webbb82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
No im not talking crap about other companies using sugar. I was telling you thats where it comes from. and that we dont use it. Its all on personal preference.but because you seem to have a problem with the statement I will remove it for you

What I do to get rid of that, I heat up my coils for 10 seconds and then run the coils (only the coils) underwater.
Repeat as necessary.
When I finish, the coils look almost brand new and reusable for a longer period of time.

VU Sponsors