Become a Patron!

Why is my cotton tuning brown on only one side?

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope this would be the proper place to ask. This has been happening from time to time as long as I've been using RDA's. This cotton is less than 24 hours old and I haven't vaped heavy on this device today. Running another Drop on a Pulse 80w with same build and wattage.

Mod: Rage squonk
Coil: AVS quad core fused clapton at .25 ohm
RDA: Drop
Power: 45-50 watts

Can someone please help me figure out why this happens?

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hiya Don ... you got a big single coil in there or two?

Did you space the wraps or are they touching?

I assume all the hot spots were worked out before wicking?

Are both legs in tight?

if you have a dual coil were they glowing evenly before wicking?

Was the cotton tight as you were pulling it through the coil (could well have created a hot spot if it moved the coil or they aren’t firing evenly now)

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everything kingpin said or maybe your cotton is choked on the one side?

Or your airflow isn't hitting that side of the coil?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ahh yeah good point mate

One more...did you comb the cotton through Don so there’s no little tufts in there? Sometimes in CB I notice small bits of compressed cotton that need raking out

Pads invariably have bits in them too

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is a single coil. The wraps are touching. It's how I've always gone it. Legs are tight in posts. I'll try rewicking to see if I can correct it paying more attention to the amount and length. I don't always comb it out. about half the time.

Thank you all for the input.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bit late here I know but check barometric pressure, your altitude, dew point. Yes, these do play into things vape related. Granted not all of them, all the time and possibly not noticeably as much but they're still there. Seems like it's a charlie foxtrot of vectors. Sometimes it's just better to do as to think. If it's not presenting too much of a problem with the vape but is just aesthetics, I'd ignore it and vape on for a good while. You can always swap out fresh cotton any time.

Also will suggest something against the grain here. Been finding if I got a 3 mm ID coil if I leave about .5 to 1 mm space atop the wick material, the vaping does well. Works for rayon good, cotton better. Might seem against convention to not fully pack a coil of wick. Understand too your wick will saturate and shrink if cotton, expand if rayon. Yep, I know that's effed up but um, well, I see it a lot.

I use organic Muji cotton as well as clean unbleached and non-sterile cotton gauze for cotton wick, swap between these at random odd times. Thinking of late might try some ReadyX but just not gotten there.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the coil that's tilted will wick faster..... Making it jucier and darker when you vape......

My favorite vape shown.... The Titan and The Boxer......
470cbc926b0e9dbab038d48b15d72b4d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors