Become a Patron!

Why I've Never Liked Preorders......

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This is more of a rant than anything I guess, but here goes.
In early November I saw an interesting new mod, the Smok G priv, found a VU approved vendor offering a decent sale price on the pre order, researched them a little, emailed and asked a couple questions, and finally made my first ever preorder.
I was very impressed with the customer service I received before placing my order, so I placed the order. I was told that while they could give me no concrete date, that it should ship by November 21st. I was buying this for a December 7th birthday present so I figured there'd be no problem.
U.S. vendors began offering the mod for sale a week later, so I hoped I'd receive it even earlier than expected.
I contacted the vendor and was told it would ship the first of the next week. Nope.
I have contacted them a couple times since, as has a coworker who placed an order the same day I did, and every time were assured they would ship the next week. Nope.
I realized it wouldn't arrive for the December 7th birthday I had purchased it for so I contacted vendor and stated it would be a Christmas present instead and asked if I would receive it by then or should I make other plans. I was once again told it would ship the following week, and I would have it by Christmas.
It is only the 2nd day of the last promised week in which I was told it would ship so there's still hope, lol, but I just received the 3rd G Priv I have ordered from other vendors, having given up on that one arriving this year.
I'm not holding the vendor at fault for the timeliness of a preorder that is coming from China. I knew going in that preorders are a roll of the dice.
It's just frustrating that I have received 3 other orders for the same mod placed after that preorder, received a Drip Box 2 that I ordered the week after which was defective, sent back, and already received replacement (kudos MVS), as well as a couple other orders that were placed after, all during the Black Friday/Christmas mail rush.
Thank you for the opportunity to vent here on my favorite forum.
Good news: I have a G Priv for tomorrows birthday event, though not the one I ordered for it.
Bad news: We all know preorders are a roll of the dice, and I crapped out.
I purposely have left out the name of the vendor because many have had great experiences with them on this forum, and I'm hoping mine was just an anomaly. After all, once on the inter webs it can't be taken back. It has although caused me to place a couple of orders with other vendors even when they had the better price.
Cheers all. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like you said, it is a crap shoot.
It is hard to tell what vendors will get their supply in first.
However after reading and watching here for some time, I have created a mental list of certain vendors that for some reason just seem to get items much later than others.
Not sure why they get them later but it sure is happening.
For that matter, I have found that sometimes China vendors end up selling items later than the states.
Seems odd for a China product to sell in the states before it sells in China but what do I know.

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Like you said, it is a crap shoot.
It is hard to tell what vendors will get their supply in first.
However after reading and watching here for some time, I have created a mental list of certain vendors that for some reason just seem to get items much later than others.
Not sure why they get them later but it sure is happening.
For that matter, I have found that sometimes China vendors end up selling items later than the states.
Seems odd for a China product to sell in the states before it sells in China but what do I know.

I have begun to make the same mental list.
I also noticed that in the original preorder the vendor offered 2 color versions black/red and black/black, but the preorder black/black was out of stock. A preorder out of stock? OK, maybe they had orders already exceeding what they themselves ordered. Well, during my communication with them, they mentioned the black/black was available again in the preorder. I almost ordered one because I liked the black/black idea better. Now I find they have 3 color variations available in the preorder and black/black is not one of them, and Smok doesn't even make a black/black version.
Guess I dodged a bullet on that front, so at least there is something positive in the whole thing, lol.
There is something positive, right? :confused:

It's also odd that U.S. film companies release U.S. films in other countries before they release them in the U.S., but what do I know. lol

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Indeed....pre-orders don't always work out well.

The one for my first squonker (DripBox 2) did at least, lol.
Got it super cheap and it arrived the day after it was released. Too bad it was defective! :cry:

BUT...MVS emailed me a prepaid return label, and had a brand new one in my grubby little paws super fast. Mailed it in on a Monday, had new one following Tuesday! :cool:
Now if someone would just explain to me how to use the crazy software Kanger released to go with it..........
The help button says the manual will be included in the next update. :drunk:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The one for my first squonker (DripBox 2) did at least, lol.
Got it super cheap and it arrived the day after it was released. Too bad it was defective! :cry:

BUT...MVS emailed me a prepaid return label, and had a brand new one in my grubby little paws super fast. Mailed it in on a Monday, had new one following Tuesday! :cool:
Now if someone would just explain to me how to use the crazy software Kanger released to go with it..........
The help button says the manual will be included in the next update. :drunk:
MVS is a good outfit....!

ShishkaBerry

Member For 4 Years
Omg they have pre orders for vapes now? Nooooooooooooooooo! Learn from the gaming industry and stay the hell away from pre orders!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I avoid the preorder thing like the plague. Mostly because early adopters end up paying a premium for getting their buggy stuff first.

I've learned to wait for a few months, AFTER something hits the market, so you know if it's really worth buying.

The only thing I can remember pre ordering in the past was the Pico 30 watt for my wife. I paid a premium price since they are cheaper now. But, I won that roll of the dice, as it was actually a trouble free and excellent device.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sometimes Preorders are not preorders.
I ordered 10 replacement Kanger squonk bottles from China. They were shown as preorder but got an email that they shipped the next day.
Still not seen em yet though :)
Only been 1.5 weeks though.

Rangertrix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sometimes Preorders are not preorders.
I ordered 10 replacement Kanger squonk bottles from China. They were shown as preorder but got an email that they shipped the next day.
Still not seen em yet though :)
Only been 1.5 weeks though.

For which Kanger squonker? Link?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If anyone knows of another, please post a link.....:)

VU Sponsors