Become a Patron!

Why no mod that does cellphone?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
China keeps releasing all kinds of mods with more or less useful features. Yet no manufacturer seems to come out with a cellphone function. How odd is that?

I mean, most vapers carry their cellphone and their mod with them. That looks like an obvious market, don't it? Many mods already sport screens (some even have touchscreens), so how hard can it be to add a microphoe, a speaker and a SIM socket? It's not like it would be add much to the price either.

Me, I dream of a proper box mod with a dumb phone embedded in it. Imagine that: when the cellphone dies, you just open it and stick fresh 18650 batteries in it. No more having to charge two devices every night. If you don't vape it, the cellphone should last for days. And when you do vape it, it's a proper box mod - as opposed to a smartphone with a piss-poor vaping attachment, which do exist.

But... no one makes a useful mod like that. Strange...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
One of the big problems they would face is having to produce several different versions because there are currently two cellphone standards, GSM and CDMA and the carrier you use will determine which you'd need. Also, the banding is not the same the world over so they would have to basically create what is commonly known as a world phone (capable CDMA/GSM in multiple bands) for one model to work for all possible customers. Go online and price out unlocked dual mode world phones and see how much it would add to the cost of an average mod.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't see why different models for different markets couldn't be made if there's a business case for it. As for world phone mods, I'm sure many people would pay premium to get one - if only to get a 18650-powered cellphone of any kind. I know I would...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't see why different models for different markets couldn't be made if there's a business case for it. As for world phone mods, I'm sure many people would pay premium to get one - if only to get a 18650-powered cellphone of any kind. I know I would...
Maybe so. I'm sure if the demand was high enough someone would make it. As for me, I'd feel kinda funny about hitting my RDA and then putting the mod to my ear to take a call. :giggle:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe so. I'm sure if the demand was high enough someone would make it.

Some mods out of China have truly ridiculous features, yet them guys make it. Surely a cell phone function isn't beyond their market confidence level...

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They already came out with something along those lines, only instead of a mod with phone capability it was an iphone case (for 5 and 5s) that fit around the phone. It packed a 2000mah slim battery on the back and 510 on top. Photo creds to Chris at indoorsmokers and Tia at tiavapes. I think there were a couple different ones out, they didn't really seem to take off though.

o7Wc7eNQSsCQoZkg0ONu0w.png

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The market confidence level isn't the real issue, the true issues that would come up would be screen size to mod size ratio, the weight of the device, and the sleekness or look of it. With the market surrounding phones going into the direction of sleek, lightweight, and almost nothing but a screen. It would be unlikely a company would want to push it past maybe the brainstorm level of a r&d department. Too many conflicting issues between the two markets would make it almost nill to achieve both desired effects on each side. Having the sleek, super lightweight, and a giant screen *combined* with a mod that has excellent battery consumption, a tank or squonk, battery protection integrated, and the possibility of high end chips.

Last edited:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They already came out with something along those lines, only instead of a mod with phone capability it was an iphone case (for 5 and 5s) that fit around the phone.[...]

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned piss-poor vaping attachments that already exist. That's still two devices with two separate batteries that need two separate chargers

What I'm talking about is a mod - whose primary function is being a good mod - with a secondary cell phone functionality. No need for wraparound screen or full featured OS or any of the latest and greatest smartphone fads for that...

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I was referring to when I mentioned piss-poor vaping attachments that already exist. That's still two devices with two separate batteries that need two separate chargers

What I'm talking about is a mod - whose primary function is being a good mod - with a secondary cell phone functionality. No need for wraparound screen or full featured OS or any of the latest and greatest smartphone fads for that...

I don't think that would appeal to too many people. I use my cell phone as a computer and for me the loss of that functionality is not an option. In my opinion most people feel this way.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Shit I just want a cell phone to be a phone for a change. Maybe add a cord a put it back in the house would be really nice.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
No doubt. Get tired of walking around, 'can you hear me now?!' bullshit. The so called 'computer' functionality is laughable compared to an actual pc, but does in a pinch I guess. Countless times I've had people try to search things or access a site on the phone and find either a product or info and done it on my pc faster.

On some phones like $600+ iphones the camera is better. Otherwise the camera's usually janky. They sound like shit, even an iphone 5 with external speakers sounds like a $5 transistor radio from a fleamarket. Jack of all trades master of none couldn't be more appropriate. Granted standard phones can't be brought with anyplace but I rarely find myself glued to a phone.

I don't call many folks, if I miss their call oh well, I'll call back later. The tiny screens are annoying as is the touch screen. Maybe because I'm old enough to remember when we could venture out into the world without a phone and still be ok when we returned. lol. The quarter still in my sock because I didn't even need to use a pay phone. The phone isn't my master, if it rings people get all nervous like 'aren't you going to answer it?!'. I'm like you know it has 'redial' right? lol. But what if it rings and you don't hear it? Pfft, bonus.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think that would appeal to too many people.

That's never stopped them Chinese from coming up with ridiculous features nobody wants in a mod.

I'm not debating the desirability of a phone in a mod - I want it, others don't, and it may well be that I'm a minority. My point is, I'm surprised no Chinese company has tried to stick a cellphone in a mod yet, considering all the useless crap they've come up with in the past.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
all we need is the right size hammond like box and some modder could disassemble the s7 or what have you switch it to 18650 power put it in the hammond like box that will fit teh screeen and guts of said phone plus leave room for the battery slep a 510 and a button and say pwm chip and bam
its actually easier then it sounds. but the cost to produce one this way is expensive. Think most 18650 pwm mods are $100-200 then add in cost of said phone and time to build
SO if so entreprenurial modder would to start offering this service and china saw people buying these they would copy it in a heart beat

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's never stopped them Chinese from coming up with ridiculous features nobody wants in a mod.

I'm not debating the desirability of a phone in a mod - I want it, others don't, and it may well be that I'm a minority. My point is, I'm surprised no Chinese company has tried to stick a cellphone in a mod yet, considering all the useless crap they've come up with in the past.

I hear ya @Giraut, but in this case my thought is those guys nailed it. But that's just me.

Good luck with it going forward, it will be interesting to see what happens if they try it
yes3.gif

Jane808

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They already came out with something along those lines, only instead of a mod with phone capability it was an iphone case (for 5 and 5s) that fit around the phone. It packed a 2000mah slim battery on the back and 510 on top. Photo creds to Chris at indoorsmokers and Tia at tiavapes. I think there were a couple different ones out, they didn't really seem to take off though.

o7Wc7eNQSsCQoZkg0ONu0w.png

Genius! LOL:giggle:

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Same reason why I don't use a phone case that has a knife built into it (or any other edc gear). The thought of a phone/vape has crossed my mind. I'm sure it's crossed most of our minds, but they are two wholly different products. There's zero chance it would sell imo. I'm very particular about my phone and its features, I'm beginning to feel that way about mods. There's no way you can satisfy me and the next guy at the same time. They also have two different life cycles for me. A phone should last me a year. A mod probably far less. Last thing I want is a defunct mod attached to my phone. I also like to carry less sometimes.

On the surface it seems like a no brainer, but for me my second thought is that it's a terrible idea. I hope you find what you're looking for though. Just because I'm a tech snob doesn't mean you have to be. ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
*Sittin' here with my phone in one hand and my mod in the other wondering how I would type this message while vaping.*

VU Sponsors