Become a Patron!

Wick Cotton Help! Boil or dont boil?

koreankid1993

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello!

I was wondering i did some searching and ive used silica for a bit but want to move on to cotton. and a friend of mine told me another use of wick is organic cotton ball and it seems interesting and i wanted to learn more about them and i looked up some youtube videos and saw some boiled them and some just used them right out the bag.

Is there any right way to do it? or why some people boil them then dry it? or why they just use it straight out of the bag?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello!

I was wondering i did some searching and ive used silica for a bit but want to move on to cotton. and a friend of mine told me another use of wick is organic cotton ball and it seems interesting and i wanted to learn more about them and i looked up some youtube videos and saw some boiled them and some just used them right out the bag.

Is there any right way to do it? or why some people boil them then dry it? or why they just use it straight out of the bag?

Some people boil them, I didn't bother when I used cotton boils (I tried once, but decided it wasn't worth it).

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If the balls have been whitened using hydrogen peroxide (most of them) then it can have a bit of an odd taste for several hits with a brand new wick. Try them without and if it isn't an issue then fine. If it is, boiling in distilled water can help remove the initial off taste. One of the reasons Japanese organic pads have gained popularity is that they are not whitened, so no initial off taste.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never boil mine.. guess I just assume its healthier than cigs either way..

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I buy the organic cotton balls from my local pharmacy. I boil in tap water, change water, and rinse them, repeat 3-4 times before drying em. The first couple times you'll get a chemical odor off the balls, when that's gone, ime done.
No weird taste at all, ever. The trick is boiling them and keeping their shape for easy use later.

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont ever boil. But i have heard that if you boil it it will make the cotton more absorbent and hold more juice. Idk, i dont boil and have never had any complaints. I use organic cotton balls from walgreens and japanese organic cotton pads. They both work perfectly

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Next time I get cotton, which will be soon, I'll try them unboiled. Maybe I'll stop boiling them, or continue to, I'm not sure yet.

unregulatedvaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a pack of 164 cotton pads from saphora's for 10 bucks and have enough cotton to last over a year. Sure beats getting a pack of 5-10 from the vape shop for 2.50...i dont even boil them...tastes fine

FinerVapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a pack of 164 cotton pads from saphora's for 10 bucks and have enough cotton to last over a year. Sure beats getting a pack of 5-10 from the vape shop for 2.50...i dont even boil them...tastes fine

Same here, square cotton makes things so much easier. Never looked back at cotton balls ever since.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had my doubts that the Japanese cottons pads were anything more than hype, but they are truly a step above even unrolled organic cotton balls.

First off the cotton strands are sturdier, run the length of the pads and are all lined up. When you cut with the grain for a wick the strands all line up and run from the juice bed to through the entire inside of your coil and out the other side. The absorption is much faster and consistent.

The wick is easier to install because full length strands reduce any bunching as it pulls through the coil. No short and curlies to hang up the entry. Really hard to mess it up once you know the right width to cut for your coil.

There is absolutely no underlying taste, just pure juice flavor. It takes some serious effort to burn a Japanese cotton wick, unlike balled cotton. A little mistake of hitting one or two too many times without rejuicing doesn't seem to scorch like other cotton balls and pads I have used.

I bought the Koh Gen Do 80 pack in a bag off Amazon and really amazed at the great wicking material.

No boiling necessary. I'd boil the regular sterilized cotton balls if you don't want to taste them for the first 10 hits.

Smugface

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
This is what I have noticed with cotton balls and raw organic cotton. The one advantage to boiling I have seen is it seems to make the cotton more absorbent upon first use.

VU Sponsors