Become a Patron!

Wicking question

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK...still relatively new to rebuilding atomizers/wicking, so don't chuckle...

Just wondering what the need is for the wick? I realize that it pulls in your liquid into the chamber...but since you basically heat the liquid to a temp below flashpoint to get the vapor, just wondering why direct contact of the coils to the liquid won't do the same thing. I'm guessing that it's more of a viscosity issue- that the wick provides an "even-ness" in heating the liquid, but wouldn't a larger chamber, and larger inlets for the liquid to flow into the chamber...essentually do the same thing?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Uh, no.

Every atomizer on the market uses some kind of wick to deliver liquid to the coil. There are no exceptions to the best of my knowledge.

I imagine you could take an RDA and rig some kind of tube to feed E-Liquid to the coil drop by drop as you are inhaling it but I don't imagine it would work very well, it would also be a huge PITA to use and it would end up leaking liquid all over you and the surrounding area and would be extremely wasteful.

Better stick with the tried and true method of the wick transferring liquid from the reservoir to the coil so it can be heated to the point where it becomes vapor for your enjoyment.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm no rocket scientist, but i can't imagine a coil would fire if both the positive and negative terminals were submerged in a vat of juice. You can make a wickless coil for an rda, but they're tricky to make and even trickier to use :p

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm no rocket scientist, but i can't imagine a coil would fire if both the positive and negative terminals were submerged in a vat of juice. You can make a wickless coil for an rda, but they're tricky to make and even trickier to use :p
I did briefly use a wickless coil on my Valkyrie hybrid mod. It had to be dangerously close to the deck. That kind of coil actually defeats the purpose. Never build another wickless coil again.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did briefly use a wickless coil on my Valkyrie hybrid mod. It had to be dangerously close to the deck. That kind of coil actually defeats the purpose. Never build another wickless coil again.
Thanks! I never open my Yap. Have ceramic attys. They look good in the advertisements.

smoothdraw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're closing the circuit with your firing button. Besides, if it was a shorting-out issue inside the heating chamber, a soaked wick would also carry a current along the coil path, and pretty much be the same as a submerged one.

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
it is possible i did it once with a quad super nano coil. was stupid hot and on a few occasions caught the juice on fire. the wick also keeps the coils cool so without one they get stupid hot....hot enough to flash ignite juice lol

VU Sponsors